The No Good Book | Teen Ink

The No Good Book

January 14, 2016
By courtneyheder BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
More by this author
courtneyheder BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Looking out the window, I am fascinated just by watching the speeding cars drive past my family’s moving truck. My friends always tell me they play the “license plate” game with their siblings, but I am an only child so I just play it by myself. If only Katie were here, we would be laughing the whole time without even realizing it. Katie is my best friend and we have plans of going to college together next year. She is the only one that truly gets me, like the sister I never had. It’s basically just us in our friend group, we aren’t considered “cool” like the popular group at our school. But since she isn’t with me right now, I just play with myself . I would play it with my parents but they are too caught up in their conversation up front. I overhear them talking about money, and the fact that we had to downsize our house because we couldn’t afford our old one. Lucky for me, it is in the same area, so I don’t have to switch schools.

“Mom can Katie come and help me unpack when we get to the house?” I ask her, knowing that no matter what she says, she will give in either way and let her come.

“Sure, Soph. Just make sure you actually get unpacked. I know how you too can get distracted when you’re together.” She said, looking back with a smirk.

“Alright mom, your the best.”

Eventually we made it to the house. Looking at it from the truck it seemed okay, that was until I got out. To my instant surprise, I loved it! Yes, it is smaller than my old house and Im sure ill have a much smaller bedroom, but I loved it. I Absolutely loved it. It was an old country house, wooden beams almost like a cabin, stone walkway to the front door and even a cute little porch out front, perfect to read on. I am a sucker for good ol’ country, antique style houses, so this is perfect for me.

“Hey mom, I am going to go look inside and find my room”

“Okay, it’s to the left in the basement - Oh but quick grab a few boxes and bring them in while you're at it” she yelled from the back of the truck.

Without even hesitating, I grab my purse and phone and the small box that was on my lap in the truck and sprint inside. I just want to see my room more than anything.

Looking around I have to admit, the inside isn’t as appealing as the outside, but it’s okay because it’s still lovely considering we had to downsize.

The second I walk into my room, I’m slightly disappointed, yet satisfied in the same way. I have a little closet in the corner, and the left wall is slanted in making it smaller but giving it more of a unique feel. Atleast thats what i am telling myself. It is definitely smaller than my old room.

While unpacking, I hear my mom yell to me saying Katie is here.

“Just send her down” I yell back, too into unpacking to go up and get her.

I hear the staircase creek as she comes down.

“Katie I’m to the left down here”

She walks in and that exact second we get up and hug each other. That’s kinda our thing, we love hugs. I mean who doesn’t, right?

“I can only stay for a sec but I wanted to come check out your new place. Awh this is adorable, look at that slanted wall - you could really decorate this to make it feel like your old room.” she says and she peers around my whole room.

“Yeah I was thinking of maybe going to the thrift shop a few blocks away to look for some wall decor, want to come?

“Sorry Soph, I actually gotta run, my mom’s waiting in the car. We have to go to my grandpas birthday but I’ll see you at school tomorrow. Love ya!”

“Love you too katie, I’ll text you later”

This was how most of our visits went. I mean sometimes we hung out for 2 days straight, but other times we would just see each other for a second. I guess that is because we are basically sisters and my house is her house and visa versa.

As I was unpacking, I starting to roam around the basement a little more. There was only one bathroom in the house, which was upstairs. I will have to share with my parents so that will be hard, but I was trying not to dwell too much on that fact. The basement is very small, low ceilings, old fashioned flower print wall paper on the main wails, and dark brown carpet. It is small, yet extremely cozy. For me, small is better and technically, I have the whole basement to myself since It’s just me and my parents. That is the nice part, I guess about having my room down here.

I might as well explore a little down here, I think to myself. Walking out of my room there is just one main room, where the stairs are connected to. There is also a little closet in the corner. Opening the closet, I notice it is actually pretty spacious. I could probably put some of my stuff in here if it doesn’t fit in my room. There are like a million shelves in here. Okay maybe not a million but there has to be at least 8 or 9 which is a lot for a closet. Looking at the closet I notice a book on the shelf, so I grab it and bring it back to my room.

Looking at the book I notice it is completely empty. It’s a fairly big book, maybe the size of a school textbook or so. It is a light brown with a black rectangle on the front where I can tell they're used to be writing but can’t make out what it said.  Did someone leave it behind who lived here before? Will they even notice they don’t have it anymore? Well, they are in another state right now so I guess it would be pointless to give it back. I examine the book once more glancing at each page, but again - there is nothing in it.

“Sophia, Dinner!” my mom yells down from the kitchen.

I scurry upstairs and actually trip running up the stairs. That’s a first I guess. I then sit at the table where my mom placed the chinese takeout.

“Mhh this smells so good thanks mom!”

“Your welcome Soph, I haven’t unpacked the cooking supplies yet, so I thought I would treat us to some chinese. It’s China City, your favorite.” she said while scooping it on too our plates.

“Well I appreciate it! Oh and I was meaning to ask, umm, do you know anything about the book that was in the downstairs closet?

“No, what kind of book is it? The movers assured me the house was completely empty, they told me they checked every nook and cranny in this house so that is a little weird.” she said, taking her next bite of her fried rice.

“Yeah well it’s no big deal, I’ll just toss it out tomorrow.”

Later than night, I continued to unpack. Looking around my room, I became more and more satisfied and happy with it. This is home, I thought to myself. I still had to grasp the fact that I had just moved into a new house, I mean that’s kinda a big deal! I moved all the boxes out of my room and into the hallway to clear it up and then finished putting my clothes in my closet.

I decided I should probably finish the rest of my math packet, considering I have school tomorrow. Math always came super easy to me. Well, to be honest, so did every other class. I was a straight A student, ranked third in my class. I didn’t care to be number one, only because the valedictorian has to give a speech and the thought of talking in front of my whole class, plus parents, plus teachers scared the living daylights out of me. But I would never tell my parents that, they are so proud of me and they tell me that everyday. “Sophia, you can get a scholarship because of your grades!” they always say. Money is a little tight for us, so the thought of my college being free made them overjoyed.

Finishing up my math homework, I put it back in the folder for the next morning. While setting it in my folder, I see the book out of the corner of my eye and can’t help but wonder what the book means. If the movers were sure they checked everywhere, why was it in the closet? I grabbed the book and turned to the first page.

I looked over at the clock. 8:23. I guess I still have a while before I need to sleep.

I began drawing on that first page of the book. I mean I don’t have a sketchbook of my own, but I love to draw, so I guess it won’t hurt to use it. My favorite thing to draw is faces, especially hair. Everyone usually skips over the hair and just focuses on the facial features, but I think the hair is the best part.

Drawing the hair, I notice that the ink is getting darker and darker as my pencil touches the paper. I try erasing a strand of hair that looks out of place, but it won’t erase, at all. I rub the erasing as I hard as I can against the paper, still nothing.  What is this, a magic book? Why doesn’t it let pencil erase?  I continue drawing anyway, maybe it’s just my pencil. While drawing, I like to pay attention to the details, I draw the hair curly, but voluminous like you see the models in the magazine look, if only my hair could look like that.

Finishing up drawing, I put the book back on my nightstand and get into my pajamas for bed. With the move, I ended up going through my clothes and got rid of about half of them so I don’t have to much to choose from. I slip on my track t-shirt from middle school and a pair of athletic shorts and head to the bathroom.

Walking up the stairs to the bathroom is kinda a drag, but it’s okay.

“Goodnight mom, goodnight dad” I whisper as I pass their room.

“Goodnight sweetie”

Opening the bathroom door, I turn the light and go to the bathroom, i’m pretty tired so I think i will just shower in the morning, I thought to myself. Moving over to the sink to wash my hands I…

“WHAT THE HECK” I scream as I look at myself in the mirror.

I stare at myself, scared to move for a good 5 minutes. Looking in the mirror, my hair is different. What is going on? Am I dreaming? Is this some kind of practical joke? Nothing makes since, my used to be raggidy, frizzy curly hair is now...wait. This is the hair I drew in the book. This is the exact hair I drew in the book, I kept repeating in my head.

Without thought or even washing my hands I immediately go back to my room and grab the book. Opening the first page, my drawing is gone. I frantically look for it on every page, maybe I missed it the first time? No, it is not in the book anymore. Am I going crazy? I just drew it about 30 minutes ago and now it isn’t in the book, It’s on me. What are people going to think of me? Are they going to even recognize me? I can’t go to school like this!

Thee thoughts kept running through my mind. I grab my laptop and try researching the type of book this is, but nothing matches what just happened to me. Should I tell Katie, should I tell my parents? I thought about this for a second, but I think it’s best if I just keep it a secret, I don’t know what kind of prank or creepy joke this is, but If I tell anyone they will think I’m crazy. I grab the book and continue to stare at it. I still can’t make out the words on the front, but even if I could, what would that do? I already know it’s a book that can turn drawings into reality. Looking at the front more, I notice it becoming a little more clear, not because anything is happening but because once you stare at something for long enough, the more it makes sense, but I still can’t make it out.

With this thought, I Immediately draw a 100 dollar bill and wish for it to come to life. But it doesn’t. What the heck? If it turned my hair to this beautiful style, why can’t it make this money come true? So many thoughts swarm my head to the point where I start to panic. I’ve never heard or seen anything like this before, but it is kinda cool and interesting in a way. Like, does this mean I can be anything I want?

I then open the book and draw a prada bag along with a michael kors watch, items that I absolutely love but never in a million years could afford to buy. Closing the book after draw the items I close my eyes and wish for it in my head. All of a sudden, right as I open my eyes I see the exact prada bag and watch right in front of my eyes.

“I have got to be dreaming” I say out loud.

Putting the book away from me, I then put the bag and watch on my nightstand. Maybe if I just get some sleep I will wake up and this will all be a dream by morning. With this thought, I turn off my light, go under my covers and go to sleep.

The next morning, I wake up and immediately look at my night stand. The purse is gone, the watch is gone, and my hair is gone too. But...I still see the book. I then grab the book and do the same thing as last night but instead I draw another hair do, this time it’s a curly updo, then close my eyes and look in the mirror. My hair is what I drew, I am so confused I don’t even know what to think. Does what I wish for disappear in a certain amount of time? Maybe I discovered a once in a lifetime book that makes you have what you wish for for awhile. Did I just discover the future?

Getting ready for school, I decide I am going to keep the hairstyle, I mean why not look good for just one day, right? Looking at my phone, I see that I only have 5 more minutes to get ready and leave before Katie picks me up so I grab my backpack, run upstairs and eat a granola bar for breakfast.

Waiting outside for Katie makes me nervous, what will she think of my hair, I mean its not even the same color...I am blonde now. I actually can’t even believe this is happening, but it is. This is really happening.

“What happened to your hair!” Katie asks looking shocked.

“OH my Goodness you will not believe it! so... “ Then I think about what I am going to say, do I really want to tell her? “Well, nevermind that, I went on pinterest and tried something new, do you like it?”

“Well..I mean yeah it looks like you got it professionally done, how did you dye it and style it all in one night, just yesterday your hair was in a bun?!”

“Yeah it’s crazy I know, I guess I just wanted to try something new!”

I secretly felt guilty for lying to my best friend but if she found out...I don’t know i feel like no good would come from that.

Walking into school everyone is immediately staring at me.

“Kaitie, why is everyone staring at us?” I ask.

“Us? HA! They’re staring at you, girl” she said back while walking walking to her locker.

I’ve never been noticed here at East High, I am kinda just another student people would recognize if they saw me but not know my name.

“Katie! Wow, your hair looks GREAT!” Sarah Montego says from her locker.

Sarah montego, the most popular girl in the entire school, did she actually just talk to me? Talk to me, Sophia, me?!

“Thanks Sarah!” I exclaim back, trying to act as smooth and cool as possible.

Walking to my next class, I received about 6 compliments from people who I barely talked to. I was so surprised just a simple hairstyle could do all this? What if I change my outfits everyday and wear the prada bag and michael kors? What if I look this good everyday?

Waking up the next morning, I go all out. Curly, voluminous hair, makeup, prada bag, michael kors watch, uggs and more. Looking in the mirror I barely recognize myself, but if Sarah Montego wants to be my friend because of this, I will do anything!

“Who even are you? How did you get that stuff? Isn’t that all like $500?” Katie says the second I step into her car.

“What do you mean who am I? And..umm...well my parents gave me some extra money because of how good I was with the idea of moving, no big deal.” I say, trying to make up an excuse that sounds somewhat believable.

“Okay, just don’t let all that get to your head. Remember, tomorrow we’re carving pumpkins! Ill pick you up around 3.”

“Alright, sounds good! See you later” I say as we part our ways walking into school.

Walking to my locker I feel like a million bucks. I mean, I wonder how cool I look, wearing all this nice stuff. I’ve got to become popular from this, meet some new friends maybe.

“Sophia!” Sarah yells from across the hall as she runs to me. “You look great! A bunch of us are going to a party tomorrow, wanna come?”

“Oh I actually have….Sure I would love too!” I said back. I know I had plans with Katie, but I mean she would be happy for me, right? Well, whatever, this is a big opportunity for me so I am doing it no matter what.

“Alright, meet at my house tomorrow, I’ll text ya the deets!” Sarah says as she walks away to go to class.

Still not believing what just happened I shut my locker and head to class. School is pretty boring, like most days, but I can tell people are treating me different because of how I look and I love it. More and more people are asking for my number and I feel like a “popular” girl for once in my life. At lunch, I usually sit by Katie but Sarah asked me to join her and her group, so of course I had too! Surely Katie will get over it.

That night, I try out so many new ideas and styles on myself to prepare for the party tomorrow, I mean I have too, it’s a party with Sarah so I have to look good. Maybe she will even post a picture with me on her instagram, I would be sure to get at least a few more hundred followers if anything!

After trying out the new styles, I finally decide on a hairstyle, outfit and makeup and head to bed, grabbing my phone to text Katie : Hey GIrl, Sorry but I can’t hang tomorrow. Got invited to a party with Sarah! Thanks for understanding!” Then turning off my lights, I go to bed.

Waking up the next morning, I hop out of bed and start getting ready. This is really unlike me, considering I’m usually the one to be scrambling out of bed at the last minute, trying to get every second of sleep I can. I check my phone, Katie didn’t reply. That’s weird? I thought to myself, she usually replies the second I text her, oh well I guess.

When I finished getting ready I sneak out before my parents wake up and walk to her house. If my parents saw me like this...I don’t even want to know what they would say. They would probably think I stole it all or something who knows, but I for sure don’t want to find out.

Walking to her house, considering she now only lives a block away since I moved, makes me nervous yet extremely excited. I mean, I am about to go to a party with all the popular kids, what more could you ask for?

I start ringing her doorbell, standing their fixing my hair that got a little messy from the windy air.

I’m waiting there for about 30 seconds when Sarah opens the door.

“Hey Sopha girl!” She started saying motioning me in her house. “That’s your new nickname, all the cool kids have nicknames.”

“Well, alright I kinda like it! Thanks for inviting me.”

The day went pretty good, we all painted each others nails, watched the breakfast club and talked about boys until Sarah’s mom told us all to go home. I was surprised she didn’t feed us lunch, but I guess being popular is also a “no carb” zone, which personally I don’t like. Overall it was an amazing day, so I texted Katie about it right away. Hey Katie, You won’t believe what happened! I hung out with Sarah and her group all day, it was great! Sorry I couldn’t go to the pumpkin patch, we can do it tomorrow instead! Sending the text, I finished my walk home.

As I walked in my house, I received a text from Katie. No it’s alright, I don’t really like the new you as much so you can just have fun with Sarah and them.

Did she honestly just say all that to me? Was she not happy for me? Did she not know how much being popular meant to me?

Going home, I changed my hair and clothes back before dinner so my parents wouldn’t notice, finished my homework and then watched some Grey’s Anatomy before dinner.

“Soph! Dinner’s ready!” My mom yelled from the kitchen.

Running upstairs, starving from not eating since breakfast I sit in my chair and wait patiently for my food.  Mhh..Spaghetti, my favorite!

“Ah it looks amazing mom!”

“Thanks sweetie, I finally had time to unpack the kitchen so I made your favorite. How was your day?” She asked, sitting down next to me.

“It was good, I have a lot of homework to do tonight though so I may be up a little late.”

“Oh okay, just make sure you don’t go to bed too late. Oh by the way, I was in your room dusting today and noticed you hadn’t thrown away that book you found in the closet so I gave it to the thrift store down the block, they said they were just doing a shipment out to the warehouse so it’s all taken care of.”

“What! Why would you do ...I mean, okay mom, thanks” I said, trying not to make a scene, “I’m not hungry anymore actually, thanks for dinner I am going to go finish up my homework” I finish, as I sprint down to my room.

All of a sudden, I am in a panic mode. What do I do now? I mean, it isn’t that big of a deal, Sarah and them are my friends now so at least it made my life better, I guess I don’t really need it anymore.

Finishing up the night, I get my backpack ready for the day, pick out an outfit from my closet, (haven’t done that in a while) and go to bed.

The next day at school is just like any other day since before I moved. I see Sarah first thing by her locker and walk toward her.

“Hey Sarah! Are we still on for tonight? I ask, excited that I am actually asking this question.

She looks at me, up and down, and is silent for a second.

“Sophia? Umm, yeah I can’t today. Or tomorrow or ever actually, sorry.” She said as she turned to her friends laughing hysterically.

Walking away, ashamed as ever I can’t help but cry because of how unaccepting they are. It hit me that the nolt reason they liked me wasn’t because of my personality, it was because of what the book, the stupid book allowed me to look like. The only thing I can think to do now is head to the only person who accepts me for me, Katie.

The minute I see her I hug her and cry on her shoulder, and I know she knows exactly why I’m crying.

“It’s okay” she says, “I still love you, and I will always be your best friend and the sister you never had no matter what. And you know what, I think you look better this way.”

I didn’t say anything else. All I did was squeeze her tighter and cry harder. I felt like an idiot in a way, but not anymore because Katie was there for me. She loved me for me, not for what I looked like or for what I wore, and I will forever be grateful for that.

Thinking about the book, I had a moment of sheer panic not knowing whose hands the book would fall into. Maybe another girl will go through the same thing I went through. Maybe that girl will lose her best friend for a while, just like I did. I just hope whoever finds it, they have a friend as good as Katie who will always be there for them, because I was one of the lucky ones.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.