E.L.I | Teen Ink

E.L.I

By Josephinehart, San Diego, California
Josephinehart, San Diego, California

I woke up to my brother’s music blasting to the very last of my brain cells. Mom went with Dad to visit my grandma in Los Angeles, because she’s sick, so there’s nothing I could do. I begged, even pleaded to go, but no apparently school is much more important. So here I am, stuck with my brother in this, what seems like, a very tiny space. 
I turned to my clock and realized that I only had 10 minutes to get ready. I jumped up and ran to the laundry room, than realized I forgot to put my laundry into the dryer. I ran back to my closet, but the only thing left to wear was my pink flower dress from last year. Story of my Life, but whatever. I threw the dress on, and only had Five minutes left. I grabbed my sneakers, bad decision, and shoved them onto my feet. 3 minutes left. I ran to the kitchen and crammed a piece of bread down my throat. The bus was already outside and my hair was still a huge mess. I ran outside, and jumped onto the bus. I Tried to fix my hair as much as possible, but it just wasn’t working for me. I saw a hair tie on the ground and thought, hey an emergency calls for the most crucial circumstances. I picked up the hair tie and tied my hair. When we arrived at school, Eric was already there waiting for me. He had his hair gelled back like always, with some jeans, a white shirt, and a Black Leather jacket, his usual outfits revolved around that leather jacket of his. Eric wasn’t beautiful or cute, but he was handsome, and honestly I questioned why he even talked to me sometimes. Eric and I had been friends since the 5th grade, and for four years we maintained that friendship strong. He was sort of goofy, but serious at the same time. Whenever we went to a store or a restaurant people would just stare at him, but not in an annoyed way. Girls would laugh with him, and guys would simply stare. Parents would even say he is one the most heart warm teenagers out their. I got off the Bus, and began walking towards him.
“So I see someone woke up late again.” Eric began.
“Hey, it’s not my fault. If I lived closer this wouldn’t be happening.” I replied.
“Right... So did you get the homework done for Mr. Jackson’s class?”
“No… I was kind of hoping you had done it.”
“Oh, umm… No, but we could just do it during 1st period.”
“True.”
We began walking towards the school entrance in a very slow and hesitant manner.
Eventually we ended up next to his locker; he stores some of my books in their just to save time in the morning. The air smelled kind of old and dusty here, with a hint of perfume. The air was kind of cold but not too much, it was perfect, and all I could taste in my mouth was the perfume Sarah sprayed every morning… specifically next to Eric’s locker.  I was kind of stunned when Sarah walked up to us.
“Look at what the cat dragged in.” Giggled Sarah.
“Look Sarah, right now is not the time, just leave please.” blustered Eric.
“Oh, I’m sorry Eric. I wasn’t talking about you, I was talking about Eli. You’re too perfect Eric.”
“Just go away!” I told her.
“Okay, but Eric, you know where to find me.” She winked at him, and then walked away.
I hate that girl. She’s always flirting with Erik and trying to embarrass me in front of him, but I can see in his face that he’s kind of annoyed by her. Eric wasn’t really the type that yelled at someone or anything like that, but with Sarah I think he made an exception. Too bad we have 3rd period with her.
   “Eli, common the bell rang.” muttered Eric.
“Just a second.” I answered as I picked my backpack up.
Once I got up we began walking to my first period, than half way there we separated.
His class was across the school, so there was no way he could walk me to my class, and get to his class on time.
So as I sat down at my desk, then bell rang. Great, another boring and dramatic day of life.
Mr.Floss was sitting as his desk like usual. He was scrawny, but smart. He had glasses,
and was wear his usual boy tie and shirt with dress pants. I sat in my seat, next to some weirdo guy who is never talking, I honestly didn’t even know his name. On the other side of me was some other guy who never stops talking, his name was Jake. I wondered whether we would be moving seats soon, because for one I didn’t like the people I sat next to, and it’s always nice to meet new people. The bell rang, and Mr.Floss began talking.
“So class, I want you to take out your notebooks and open it to the next available page.”
Mr.Floss requested.
I opened my notebook and put it out onto my desk, then I turned to look out the window
and just began going off into my thoughts.
“So, Eli” began Jake, “Did you just not care today, or is this your everyday look now?”
Jake was a tall, buff and very confident guy.. He was a brunette, with green eyes, and he
dressed to impress. At times he would annoy me, but he was cool.
“Oh shut-up Jake, you’re annoying.” I responded.
“It was just a simple and innocent question.”
“We’ll I don’t want to hear it.”
“Whatever, hey isn’t your birthday coming up soon?”
“Yea, why?”
“No reason, I was just wondering.”
“Oh,umm okay... are you getting me a present?”
“Umm no, I broke as hell.” He laughed.
“Ha-ha, whatever.”
My birthday was coming up, in 3 days. How did I forget? This use to be the most looked
up to moment I ever had. Every year, my mother and father celebrate with so much love. Sometimes, my parents can overwork, and I like taking all of my holiday’s (Including my birthday) to get family time with them. You’d think that with as much time as they put into work we’d be super rich, but no... although we weren’t  poor either. No matter what, I knew they would still squeeze in a little time for me and Chris, and Eric too.
First and Second period went by fast, and before I knew it, it was third period. I walked in
and Eric, as usual, was already sitting at our table. I quickly walked over and dropped onto the seat. We hugged. Then Sarah walked in and squeezed her way between me and Eric. I was so sick of her, and so I got up.
“Can you back up!” I demanded.
“Excuse me?” She questioned, with a confused and innocent look on her face.
“You are really annoying, and I need you to stay out of our space. Do you
understand?”
“Who do you think you’re talking to, I--”
“I think I’m talking to an annoying little girl, who needs attention.” It was silent for a
second, and then Eric stood up.
“Sarah, please leave.” Eric whispered.
Sarah stood up and walked away, across the room with her friends, with an over
dramatic look on her face. I turned and looked at Eric, and frowned.
“I’m sorry.” I said.
“No, its fine she was on our nerves anyway. She’s like always in our space and stuff, so
I hope this shows her that she needs to back up.”
I could feel Sarah eyeballing me and Eric. We sat down and took our notebooks out.
Then the bell rang.
“So how was first and second period?” asked Eric.
“They were fine, they went by really fast. I was surprised because they usually take
forever. What about you?” I responded.
“They felt kind of slow. I zoned off a lot.”
“Ha-ha, so did I.”We high fived.
   “Were weirdos.” He claimed
   “But were weirdoes together, smiley face.” I answered.
   We smiled then laughed at each other. Mr.Crale walked in and began speaking. We
didn’t really listen but I heard a few things here and there. Something about a test on Thursday about cells, whatever I’ll just study. I began working on the handout Mr.Crale gave us and it was pretty easy. Eric seemed really lost on it though.
   “So you want to hang out at my place after school? You know to flirt and stuff.”
Questioned Eric.
   “Do you need help for the test?” I responded.
   “Yea. It not even my fault this is just really hard, and then he doesn’t even help out and
stuff.”
   “We’ll I don’t know, I kind of wanted to go home and sleep today.”
   “I’ll take you to the Mexican Food place after.”
  “Deal.”
   The Mexican Food Place was one of mine and Eric’s favorite places to go and eat. We
always got the Carne Asada Fries and split them because they were always too big for one of us to eat it alone. I enjoyed sharing with him, he always tried to make me eat more, but I always made him eat the most. It’s just a little thing we developed over the years, but lately we haven’t been going, so I’m really excited to go.
   The bell rang, and I took one final glance at Sarah, who apparently was staring me
down with her crystal blue eyes. I grabbed my stuff and walked out with Eric right behind me. We gave each other hugs, whispered bye and went our own ways, as usual. Then I walked into 4th period.
   It was noisy, the noisiest class of my day. It was that type of class, where all the class
clowns of every other period come together. Uggh. Especially Ricardo, he’s so loud and obnoxious and sometimes you just want to shove a pencil down his throat. I feel like Mrs.Carter isn’t paid enough to have to stand this.
   “So class I’ve come up with a new seating chart,” Muttered Mrs.Cater, Thank God Lord
Jesus! “I think this one will really be effective for this class.”
“What?” asked Ricardo?”Are any of the other classes getting a seat change?”
   “No.” replied Mrs.Carter.
  “Then how come we need one?”
   “Because some of the student’s in this class won’t stop interrupting me.”
   “We’ll then only they should be moved not me.”
   “Ricardo, if you really wanted to be honest with you, you’re the reason I made this
seating chart. Because you can never stop talking and it’s really starting to get on my nerves. I am seriously this close to making you go to Saturday school. The only reason I haven’t is because I feel bad for the teacher that has to host Saturday school.”
   That was deep, I felt it, I feel bad for him. I mean I understand that he’s given her so
much crap, but I mean common he’ll probably be depressed for like the rest of the day… so I thought.
   “We’ll maybe if you actually had done something in life, you wouldn’t have to deal with
me.”
Oh god, there is seriously so much stress in this room right now that I’m seriously
starting to get it.
   “Maybe, but at least I got a decent job... But you the way you act isn’t going to get you
anywhere. As a matter of fact you probably won’t even graduate high school.”
   I noticed some kid in the back videotaping their whole argument, and if the principal or
any other teacher sees this, goodbye for both of them. Should I say something? But what if I get stuck in the argument too? I decided to keep my face shut.They kept arguing for a few more minutes, and then another teacher walked in. Both Mrs. Carter and Ricardo were sent to the principal’s office, and apparently we had free time.
   Fifth and sixth and seventh period were boring as ever, no one talked, but no one
payed attention either. I sat next to the window, so I usually just watched the traffic. I loved watching the cars, I’ve always wanted to drive and now that I’m turning 16 I can get a permit. Although Eric has been driving since last month, it’s still exciting.
   Before I knew it school was out, this day went by pretty fast. Eric was, once again,
waiting outside for me. It’s surprising how fast he gets everywhere. We hugged, again, and began walking towards his car. HIs car was a new black and shiny Cadillac with rimmed wheels. He tried always so hard to keep, at least the outside, clean. We began driving to his house, and there was awkward silence. There was always awkward silence, that’s why I never really liked going to his house.
   Finally we were at his house. It was big; it had 3 garages and a huge fountain in his
front yard. They even had those big metal gates in the front, it was lonely though. Sure they had a maid here and there but he was an only child and his parents were never around. Sometimes i felt bad for him, because you could see in his face that he was suffering. He was spoiled, but he was suffering. We walked into the kitchen and picked up some snacks, and then we ran up the stairs to his room. His room was also big, probably 2 times bigger than our classroom, he even had stairs. His room was all white, everything, even his bathroom. All he had was a poster on the wall reading Happy Birthday signed by me, my family, and his parents. Sometimes it just seemed a little too bland for me, so I use to bring my own pillow. I don’t anymore. I looked out the window, there was my house… a little far away, but there it was. You could see straight through my window. Sometimes it was creepy, but I knew Eric would respect my privacy. I could never see his window, or even house though. He was too far and my house was too small. In fifth grade, sometimes I would put goodnight signs on my window. You know for two reasons, one to say goodnight, and two I was still a little creeped out about the whole window situation.
   “So with what do you need help in?” I asked.
   “Not much, just the cell stuff for tomorrow in science.” He responded.
   “Okay then, do you have the textbook?”
   He coughed; it was like one of those fake coughs people throw.
   “Umh, No.”
   “Wow, but its okay I have mine.”
   I opened up the book, and in came Milow. Milow was a silky white poodle with nice fine
and curly hair. She was what you would call, the dream dog. I’ve always wanted a dog, but I guess Criss is enough. We petted Milow for a second and then she went over to her little bed in the corner to lie down.
   We began to study, filling out worksheets as we went along through the textbook.
Finally after what felt like forever, we looked at each other.
   “I think that’s enough studying you want to go now?” Eric questioned.
   “Home?” I answered.
   “No, out to the Mexican Food Place.”
   “Oh, of course.”
   We stood up, gave one final goodbye to Milow, and went into the garage to get his car,
then we drove off. We went to the Mexican food place and shared some Carne Asada fries, then he dropped me off at my house, and once again we hugged. To be honest, I wasn’t the type of person that really like giving hugs, I’m always uncomfortable with it. I’ve always thought a handshake was just fine, but not with Eric, it was either a hug or nothing.
   I opened the door, and saw my brother thrown on the couch with a bowl of popcorn, as usual.
   “Hey.” I said.
   “Sup.” He responded.
   That’s not a word, I hate when people use that and of course he knew this. I went up to
my room, and threw myself on my bed, I wonder is Eric’s home yet. Should I text him? Nah, he’s fine. I lifted the covers, and under I went, I fell asleep... Almost. Then I remembered the whole laundry situation from today so I got up and went to deal with it. Then I remembered that I had to do my homework from all my other classes and then take a shower, then get my outfit ready, but then and only then could I go to sleep. So off I go to do everything, I’m so tired though. After I fixed the whole laundry situation, I got into the shower, but apparently Criss took up all the hot water, so there I was hurrying to get out. I chose out my outfit, i decided to wear a black tank top with my blue jeans, my white converse, and my green combat jacket.
   “FINALLY!” I yelled.
   I threw myself onto my bed threw the covers on, and not giving to thoughts as to doing
my homework, I fell asleep.
   Within the blink of an eye, it was morning, and my alarm was going off. 7:03 it was 7:03
and I was still in bed, my bus left at 7:21 and I was still in bed. I got up, knowing that I could never get ready in just 18 minutes. I grabbed my close and my make-up bag and ran to the bathroom; I did my top eyeliner, and smudge it all over my eye into a semi-straight line with a semi-winged top. I skipped mascara, because I can just do that in the bus, and just pulled my hair to the side into a braid, I threw on my close, and off to the kitchen I went. I grabbed a bagel and ran outside, then realized that I didn’t have my backpack, so back in the house I go. I ran outside, literally 2 seconds away from missing the bus. Will I ever get a morning in which I don’t have to worry about time? No. I pulled out my phone and ear buds, and I played my music. The bus ride was nice and soothing, but then I remembered that I have homework.
   “Son of a…” I never actually say bad words.
   I pulled out all of my notebooks and my binder, and tried doing as much homework as
possible.
The bus stopped and the door pulled open, but I was finished with my homework. YES! I
grabbed my stuff and threw everything into my backpack. This time, and again I jumped off the bus and landed in front of Eric. He looked really happy, I wonder why.
   “So what happened to you this morning?” I questioned Eric.
   “Why do you ask?” Eric answered with a question.
   “You look like you just got the best news of your life.”
   “No, it’s just my parents got home this morning.”
   “Really?”
   “Yea, but they were sleeping, so I couldn’t say hi or anything.”
   “Don’t worry, there’s always enough time for that.”
   “Yea.”
   Eric, always got like this when his parent’s came, but when they left he usually looked
like a lost puppy dog. It was really sad. Sometimes I just feel like going up the his parents and telling that they need to be more aware of Eric and how he feels, but of course I never see them. I’ve literally only seen them like 4 times, since 5th grade, and I’m already a sophomore… That’s deep.
   “What’s wrong?” Eric muttered.
   “Oh nothing, I’m just thinking.” I responded.
   “About what, If I may ask.”
   “Oh nothing, just about last night’s math homework, it was kind of hard.”
   I know I lied, but I’m not going to tell him in his face that his parents are mean and
never acknowledge him. I did once though; he was just messed up about the whole situation, I felt like the worst person in the world.
   Do you need tutoring, I could help you after school, not to show off or anything, but I’m
pretty expertise in math.” He mentioned.
   We both laughed. Eric was not expertise in math... In fact I had to tutor him a few times
in math, but then again it was Geometry a new kind of math and he seemed pretty comfortable with it. We began walking towards the school entrance, and towards his locker. We grabbed our books, and the bell rang. I was kind of surprised that Sarah didn’t show up to annoy us again, like every day, since 7th grade. Once again, we began walking towards my first period. This time it was different, Eric separated from me earlier than usual, he didn’t give me a hug or anything, he was just gone. I walked into first period still wondering. Did I say something? Why stop right now? Why not say goodbye? Was he bored of hugging me?  I just sat there and thought not caring whether someone asked me a question, or if the person next to me wanted to start a conversation I just thought.

The bell rang, so I started walking to second period, still thinking. Such a little small
tiny change that he made, and in my head I was going nuts. The teacher placed a quiz in everyone’s face and gave us 40 minutes to do it. I couldn’t focus; specifically today she gives us this test. There were 15 problems, and 240 minutes left… 2 problems answered, and 35 minutes left. The timer hit zero and there I only answered 5 problems. I knew this was going to eventually come back, and bit me in the back.
      The bell rang again, third period. I just sat there. Lagging to go to third period, but
maybe there was just a simple misunderstanding. Could that be it? Or was he just simply mad at me? Common Eli let it go. I got up, grabbed my back-pack and walked. It really felt like I was dragging myself. Third Period. I walked in but to my surprise Eric wasn’t sitting there, as he usually was. I did notice Sara sitting in her seat, gossiping with her friends about god knows what. I took my seat, and the bell rang. The teacher walked in, and right behind him was Eric. Eric? Late? I couldn’t believe it. Was he lagging, it looked like he was. He came over, and dropped himself on the seat next to me, and simply looked out the window. What? He didn’t even say hi. Now I was really confused. I had a feeling in my stomach, like if I was running out of breath, but not physically. Like if my throat was ready to get clogged up, it felt like I couldn’t speak, but I did.
   “So how was second period?” I murmured with hesitation.
   “It was the same as always.” He whispered.
   “Oh, nothing interesting?”
   “No, not really.”
   “Is something wrong?”
   He hesitated for a second, just staring out the window. Then he looked at me, and
smiled.
   “No. I’m just tired.”
   That was a lie or at least it felt like a lie. I wasn’t sure, but his smile seemed real. I
nodded my head and turned to face the front of the class where Mr.Crale was talking about god knows what, and then BAM… Test time. Another test, on the same day. Dang it. He handed out the tests, and we got started immediately, I was not going to fail two tests on the same day. So off I went turning my brain on and remembering everything I knew about cells. I’m a genius; I finished my test in 15 minutes, and I’m pretty sure everything was correct. Eric looked like he was struggling, but he just handed his test in about 5 minutes after I did. I looked straight at my desk, and Eric looked out the window. He had the crease of frustration on his forehead. That crease meant something else; it was like one big line on his forehead that said I’m lost. I wasn’t sure what to say. I didn’t want to even move. I felt clogged, stuck, and I was starting to stress. I got up and walked to Mr.Crale’s desk; I felt Eric’s eyes on me and took a glance.
   “May I go to the bathroom?” I asked Mr.Crale.
   He excused me, and I basically ran my way there. I wasn’t sure why I wanted to get out
of the room, but I’m pretty sure it had something to do with Eric. I know I’m his friend and that I should be helping him in any situation that he may be having trouble with, but I just couldn’t. I washed my face, and sighed, and then I began walking back to class. When I walked in, I tried being as quiet as possible, still everyone looked up at me, except for Eric. He was still looking out the window, moving his hands around a lot. Like if he was nervous. I saw my reflection on the window that he was looking at. I went and sat down next to him.
   “What wrong Eric?” I began.
   “Nothing, I’m just tired.” he responded.
   “Eric, I know you like the back of my hand, and so I know for a fact the something is
wrong, what is it Eric?”
   “Oh, okay.”
   He turned and faced the window. Now I was really frustrated, more frustrated than I’ve
ever been for 5 years. I turned away from him at a 90 degree angle. I glanced at the clock and there were 7 minutes left until class was over, and I just sat there. Seven Minutes to find out what was going on with Eric, that was more than enough time, but I just sat there. Five minutes left, and still not a word. Four minutes left.
   “So, do you want to hang out after school tomorrow? I have a test on Friday and I’m
pretty sure I’m going to fail it.” Said Eric.
  Is he talking to me? Should I turn? What if he isn’t? Then I’m going to feel dumb. I
turned.
   “Sure, but on what subject?” I responded.
   “English, something about punctuation and stuff.”
   “Oh, umm okay.”
  YES! I don’t think he’s really mad at me, or he wouldn’t have wanted to hang. The bell
rang, and I gathered all my stuff, shoved them in my backpack, and walked out. I didn’t even take a second glance at Eric; I was really excited for tomorrow. Nothing interesting in my last 4 periods, just boring stuff, but after school was once again different. Eric apparently had already left. His car wasn’t there, and neither was he. This was weird, usually he’ll say bye before, but not today. I jumped onto by bus, plugged my headphones in, and closed my eyes. I didn’t want to think about this situation anymore, it was too hard.
   I got home, and finished up my homework. Then I made food for me, and Criss. Finally
I went up to my room and layed down, I stared out my window. The big one that only Eric could see through. I starred, wondering if he was looking down too. I closed my eyes for a second, and fell asleep.
   I opened my eyes; there was peace and quiet. Usually I wake up to my brother
blasting his music, but not today. Why? Then there it was, I looked over at the clock.  9:00 a.m. Ugh! I was late; 1 hour and 30 minutes late. I jumped up and sprinted to the bathroom. I skipped my make-up and threw my hair up in a ponytail. Then began getting dressed while running down the stairs. I swung the fridge door open then grabbed an apple and a water bottle. I got my backpack and out the door I went. I didn’t run, but I walked really fast. Thirty minutes past and finally I got to the school. I walked into the office and checked in, and then I noticed the date, March 14. My Birthday. I began walking to third period; just then I received a text from Eric asking where I was, but I didn’t answer.  When I walked in, Eric was sitting there staring at his phone with a sort of puzzled look on his face. He looked up and smiled, then sort of chuckled. I walked straight towards my seat, trying to be as quiet as possible, as if no one could see me. I sat down and took my notebook out; Eric slid his notebook over signaling for me to copy it down.  I copied all the notes, and then the lesson was over. It turns out we were going to have a test on this Monday, Great (Sarcasm), so he gave us some studying time.
   “So how was your morning?” Asked Eric sarcastically with a smile.
   I looked over at him and smiled back.
   “It was very… Fast” I responded.
   “Oh, that’s nice.”
   “Yea.” I chuckled.
   “So we still down for studying… I mean,” He coughed, “flirting and stuff after school?”
   “Yea sure.” I chuckled again.
   The bell rang; I stood up and gathered all my stuff then shoved them into my backpack.
I began walking towards the door, and Eric caught up to me. He stretched out his arms, as I signaling for me to give him a hug.
   “Oh, sorry.” I responded also with also a laugh.
   “I think you're still in a hurry.” He smiled.
   We hugged and began walking, but this time he walked with me all the way to my
class. It seems he was acting the quiet opposite of how he was acting yesterday. I was really confused now. The next few periods went by really slow, so many lectures, so many quizzes and tests. After school ended, I started walking towards the entrance to meet up with Eric, I heard someone’s footsteps running towards me and then someone grabbed my arm and I spun around. Jake was standing there with a big smile on his face.
“Happy Birthday Eli.” Jake laughed.
“Thanks Jake.” I responded.
He flipped his backpack over his shoulder and began shoving around through it, as if
looking for something, then he pulled a box out. The box was kind of small, and covered in blue wrapping paper.
“I got you a gift. It’s not the best thing ever, but what counts is the thought right?” He
handed me the box, but I didn’t take it. I looked down at it, and then looked back up at him.
“What is it?” I asked in surprise.
“Here open it.” I grabbed the box and began carefully opening it. There was a necklace;
it had a big blue diamond shaped crystal attached to it. It was amazing.
“I’m sure Eric got you something better, but you know I just thought that since it was your
birthday and stuff—“
“It Beautiful, thank You.” I interrupted.
“Well, you’re welcome.” He smiled.  “Hey I was wondering, well tomorrow I was having a
party at my place, and I wanted to like know if maybe you wanted to go? You know just to hang out and stuff.”
“Ummh, it depends.”
“Well here’s the address and my phone number just in case. It’s gonna start at 8.”
He handed me a piece of paper. I glance down at it.
“Oka, I’ll let Eric know to see if he wants to go.”
“Oh, okay than. Tell Eric I said Hi.”
I nodded my head, then turned around and once again began walking towards the front of the school.

When I got to the front, Eric was already waiting there and we hugged, then he looked
down at my hand, but he didn’t say anything. We walked to his car, and then I remembered that I still had the necklace in my hand. He opened the door for me, and then entered the car from his side. He looked back down at my hand, but this time I stuck the necklace into my pocket.
“What’s that?” He asked in astonishment.
“Oh,” I pulled the necklace back out, “ummh, Jake gave me this.”
“Oh really, that was nice of him.”
“Yea. He also invited us to a party tomorrow, do you want to go?”
He started the car engine, and then began to drive down the parking lot outside the school. Awkward pause.
“Sure, let’s go to the party.” He finally responded.
The drive to his house was even more awkward than usual, and he seemed really
nervous. We got to his house, and to my surprise (we’ll not really) his parents weren’t there.
“Didn’t your parents just get here yesterday morning?” I asked, but kind of hesitantly.
“Yea, but when I got home yesterday Arnold told me that they had an emergency
meeting in New York.” He responded with a sad look.
Arnold was a tall, a very tall and very thin man. He was Eric’s butler and he basically
raised Eric. Sure Eric had babysitters and Nannies, but never the same one. His “Nanny’s” would always get sick of having to live in Eric’s house for such a long period of time,I mean it was a beautiful house and all but Arnold told me that Eric was a very big trouble maker when he was a kid. Now whenever there’s a new Nanny, he just ignores her. Typical teenager right?
“Sir, Your mother called she asked for you to contact her as soon as possible.” Arnold
said adequately.
“Thanks Arnold, and what did I say about calling me sir. I have a name you know… It’s
Eric.” Eric responded.
“I’ll try to remember that Sir Eric.” Arnold chuckled.
“Oh, loop hole nice one Arnold.”
“Thank you Sir. Hello Madame Eli.”
“Hi Arnold, and please just Eli.”
“Of course Eli. Now f you’ll excuse me Eric and Eli, I’ll get back to work.”
“Okay, if you need anything we’ll be in my room.”
Arnold nodded and left the room with a chuckle. We walked up to Eric’s room, and he
pulled out all of his textbooks; I had forgotten all of my textbooks at home with the rush this morning, so we just used his. We reviewed a few questions for the science quiz on Monday and then began writing down a few noted as we read.
“So Eli, I really want to talk to you about something important.”
I got scared, I wasn’t sure why, then I got that gut feeling from yesterday. I looked up at
him and into his eyes. Was it about the party thing?
“What is it? Is it bad? Did I do something?”
“No, I just… it’s hard to say.”
“Does this have to do with yesterday?”I questioned.
“What do you mean?”He responded.
“It’s because yesterday like, I felt that you were acting all weird around me and stuff.”
“Oh, umm I guess kind of.”
“Okay then, shoot.”
He hesitated, then looked down, and back up again.
“Well Eli, your 16 now, and we’ve been friends since fifth grade... and… well… I just…
Would you be my girlfriend?”
I looked at him with surprise. I never thought Eric saw me like that. Did I see him like
that? Or was he just a brother to me? It’s been four years since we met. I looked back down. I do like him, but am I really ready for a relationship… with Eric. I didn’t want to have a bad break-up like most relationships and then our friendship be ruined. I looked back up.
“I’m not sure.” I responded.
“But... why not?”   
“I don’t know, I just don’t want us to end badly, and then our friendship be ruined
forever.”
“It won’t end badly, we’ve been friends for four years, and nothing has gone bad
between us.”
“I don’t know, I really do like you, but I really value our friendship. Could I just have
some time?”
“Sure.”
   We stood up and went to the kitchen.
“What do you want to eat for lunch?”
I wasn’t really down for food after the whole situation upstairs.
“I’m not that hungry really.”
“Common it’s your birthday; I’ll make you anything you want, but just to make things
clear I really don’t know how to make pizza so if you want pizza were going to have to order that.”
We both laughed. That’s right it was my birthday, I remember I saw the date this
morning, but then I forgot during third period. We decided to make burgers; apparently there wasn’t any ketchup... I was very surprised, they always have ketchup. We decided to make more burgers and take them to my house, because we absolutely needed ketchup (no exaggeration). We left one behind for Arnold, and made our way to Eric’s car. He drove faster than usual, because he didn’t want to have to reheat his burger. 
When we got there Chris was laying on the couch like usual. Then we walked into the
kitchen.
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!” Yelled my mom and dad.
They had just gotten home from visiting my grandma, I was super happy!
“Thanks guys!” I hugged them both.
There was big chocolate cake on the kitchen counter top, and it had strawberries, my
favorite. Everyone chanted the happy birthday song, and then when ate the cake. Criss came in and took a piece of cake, and a hamburger, then went back to watching television. Mom began tidying up the kitchen, and my dad went to throw out the trash. Me and Eric went up to my room, and talked.
“Did you know about this?” I began.
“I may have had a slight idea as to what was going to happen today.” He responded
with a bright smile on his face.
“Well, it was great. And yes.”
“Really?”
“Yea, I really like you and I think that this relationship could work out.”
It had originally sounded less cheesy in my mind. I felt like a child just saying yes to
him, but I really liked him. Eric just stared at me.
“Would you mind if I…. kissed you?” He asked.
What an odd question, I had never in my life heard that question.
“Ummh, sure.”
He began extending his face out, but then my dad called us from downstairs.
“Eli, and Eric could you guys come down here I want to show Eli something.”
Curiosity struck me, and before Eric could stand up I was already out the door walking
down the stairs.
“What is it dad?”
He signaled his hand towards the door. I began walking, and swung the door open.
“YES!” I screamed. “THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!”
It was brand new car, who would have thought? If I could have guessed at all I
would’ve guessed a bike. Never in the history of my thoughts would I ever think that it could be a car. A CAR! Now I could drive myself to school, now I wouldn’t have to worry about time… at least now as much. I wouldn’t have to rely on a bus taking me to school, I could drive. My dad handed me the keys. I smiled at him gave him a hug, than my mom and I ran to the car.
“Wait Eli, you can’t drive without one of us yet.” My dad yelled.
DANG IT! I didn’t have a driver’s license. I was so close, yet so far away. It would take
me days, maybe even weeks to get a driver’s license. The DMV was always so crowded, and I had school. Goodbye car, hello again school bus. Then I remembered that Eric had a driver’s license.
“Wait, can’t Eric just go with me?”I asked
Eric looked at me, then glanced over at my dad.
“Well Elizabeth, it’s your first day driving, I’m not sure Eric would feel very comfortable
driving around with you right now.” Responded my Dad.
Elizabeth? Why would he use my full name? It probably just slipped.
“Its fine Mr.Illder I got this one.” Added Eric.
Eric called my dad Mr.Illder, it was short for Mr. Roman.
“Alright fine, but just one turn around the block and that’s it.” Requested Dad.
“Will do Mr.Illder!” replied Eric.
We jumped into the car, and I started the engine. It roared so loud, but not too loud.
Then off we went. Eric had given me driving lessons before, and so had my mom, so I wasn’t completely clueless as to what I was doing.
“So, did you know about this too?” I asked Eric.
“Oka, this one I had absolutely no idea was going to happen.”He responded.
The road was kind of dark, but it was fine. Before we could say another word, we were
already back at my house. I jumped out and made sure there were no scratches on the… Correction, MY car.  I wanted to make sure that I kept it new for as long as possible. I drove my car into the garage where apparently there was another space for it. Then Eric and I stepped out and into the house. I was really happy and excited, but I couldn’t just go around driving all night. That’s dangerous. We went up to my room, and Eric called his mom. They talked, but I wasn’t really listening, I don’t like eavesdropping on their conversations. After the phone call, Eric looked frustrated. He began ambulatory through the room, backwards and forwards over and over again. At one point he just interrupted his “walking time,” and just gazed out my window, and once again the sequence began.
“Is something wrong?” I asked.
“No... Well yea. It’s just my mom and dad won’t be coming home until 2 weeks from
today, something about getting caught up in work.” He responded with frustration.
“Oh, I’m sorry.”
“It’s not your fault Eli; I just wish that sometimes they could have just a little tiny bit of
time for me. I’m ashamed to say this, but I’m desperate for their attention.”
I always knew he was, just as any other kid would be in his place.

My mother came up to wake me up, then asked me wake up Chris and Eric. Apparently they had to go to work… on a Saturday? . Eric was in the other room with Chris, I thought it was hilarious, since Eric personally went and bought another mattress so that he could sleep her sometimes; Chris was mad at first, but he adjusted. Today was Saturday, and me with Eric were planning on going to the party that Jake invited us too. I turned over and looked at the clock, it was already 11 a.m.; I Wonder if Eric was awake yet, he usually likes to be the first one up. I got up and put my slippers on, then walked towards Chris’ room and opened the door. Chris was still sound asleep and so was Eric. I closed the door, and back to my room I went. I grabbed a towel and my Saturday clothes and went to the bathroom to take a shower. After that I went to the kitchen and took a big sauce pan and a metal spoon, and ran upstairs. I know for a fact there going to complain, but hey they can’t oversleep that’s bad for the brain cells and stuff. I opened the door really softly then tip toed over to the space between Chris’ and Eric’s bad and… BAM! I began banging the two objects together, at first nothing not even a flinch and then Eric threw his pillow at me. I opened the curtains and the sun was on my side, it was bright and smoldering hot.
“Get out of my room Eli!” Criss yelled.
“Common you guys, I’m saving your brain cells here.” I yelled back.
         Just then Eric stood up, then he ran out the door. That was weird. Chris stood up and pushed me out of his room, too bad I accidently left the pan and spoon in his room. I wonder where Eric went. I walked downstairs and I couldn’t find him, eventually I went back to my room, and there he was lying in my bed under the covers sleeping. I was stunned at first, and then I began laughing.  These two are such children. I went downstairs and turned the T.V. on , I knew Chris and Eric were already awake. They were just refusing to get up, so I decided to wait them out. Eventually, as I guessed, Chris came downstairs and then Eric.
“Get ready,” I told them, “Dad left money for breakfast, so we’re going to leave in 30 minutes.”
“Who’s driving?” Eric winked.
“Me, unless you want to.” I said
“Nah, I’m good.” He responded
“Wait, it thought you weren’t allowed to drive without a license.” Chris mentioned
“Yea, but I’m with her so its okay.” Responded Eric. 
         They both ran upstairs, and 20 minutes past. First Eric came downstairs, his hair was gelled back and everything. How does he do stuff so fast?
“Criss! Can you hurry up?” I yelled up the stairs.
“Just give me a second Eli, Dang!”
“Were just going to wait for you outside in my car.”
“Okay, whatever.”
Eric and I walked out and I pulled my car out of the garage, than Eric put his car into the space where my car was. He got in my car, and we just waited for Chris.
“So, are you excited for the party tonight?” Eric began.
“Umm, yea. Do you know what you’re wearing?” I asked.
“No, I was just going to wing it.” He laughed.
         Finally, Chris came out and we drove off. We went into the city and found a small café called “Le Amusant Café” it was a French place I think. I ordered a Croissant and a small coffee with creamer, and Eric ordered the breakfast platter, so did Chris. After we ate, Chris went off to some Arcade and met up with his friends. Eric and I decided to go back to the house and watch some Netflix. We watched a few episodes of Supernatural and before we knew it, it was already 6. So he left to his house to get ready for the party tonight, so did I. I put on a black pair of legging, and a nice crop top that I had stored in my closet, then I slipped on some combat boots and straightened my hair.  I sprayed on that new perfume that I’ve been having since like last year; it smelled like cotton candy with a yummy fruity finish. I started my make-up and decide to just go simple with it. I put on my regular winged eyeliner and just a little bit more mascara than usual, just so my eyes would pop out. I put a light shade of red lipstick on my lips and some lip gloss over that. The doorbell rang, it was only 6:30 though, and of course it was Eric. I opened the door and he handed me a rose. I know that a rose wasn’t really appropriate at the moment, since we were going to a normal party, but hey I thought it was pretty cute. Eric was wearing a black dress shirt, with some regular jeans, and his leather jacket thrown on top. His hair, as usual, was gelled back and he smelled like fresh shower mixed with cologne. I grabbed my phone and keys, then closed the door behind me; we decided to take his car.
         By the time we got to the party, it was 7:30, and it was packed. We came in through the kitchen because there were too many potheads in the front entrance. When we walked in we noticed the alcohol and drugs on the countertop; a lot... scratch that EVERYONE was drinking. Jake was there and so was Sarah, they were talking and then they looked over at us and walked away from each other. I noticed the alcohol and drugs on the counter and a lot of people… scratch that EVERYONE was drinking.
         “Hey Eli, glad you could make it.”Jake muttered. His breath smelled like he had been drinking, and he looked as though he had just woken up. “Sorry about the mess, I don’t know when this got out of hand.” His voice sounded all weary and tired at the same time, as though the words were simply coming out without a thought.       “It’s fine, we just came by to say hi, we're going to go now.” Eric responded. He changed the position in which he was standing, and eventually I ended up behind him.
         “Oh, hey Eric, I didn’t see you there. Well I was talking to Eli anyways, if you don’t mind.”
         This reminded me of the time when Eric became an alcoholic, but it was for a very short period of time. It was in 8th grade, at time he wouldn’t come to school for week. Ever since that time passed, he hasn’t really taken a good hit to alcoholics, but he’s manage. Of course we knew there was going to be alcohol at the party, but he gets really protective about me talking to them. I took a step in front of Eric, but still he got in the way, so I shoved my way through now.
“Well we were just gonna go, I forgot I had this project in history, and Eric was going to help me with it.” I explained.
“Oh, in history?” Jake started. “We don’t have a project in history, and besides even if we did you have all of tomorrow to finish it.”
Crap, I forgot he was in my history class. Just then Sarah came up to us, and a big crowd was right behind her. I looked back and before I knew it Sarah was hugging him. As he was trying to push her away, a crowd of people just passed right through us, and I felt someone tug on my hand. I closed my eyes, and then opened them… Eric was gone. No, Eric wasn’t gone I was gone, I was in a completely different room than before, and the worst part was I was with Jake.  How did this even happen, I don’t remember moving from room to room. I began wondering where Eric was and whether he was with Sarah or not.
“So, are you enjoying the party?” Jake muttered.
“Its fine, hey would you help me look for Eric.” I responded. 
“I’m not sure where he went.”
I didn’t want to be rude, especially since he was drunk. He stood up and got really close to me.
“Eli I can offer you so much more than Eric can, if you would just give me the chance.” Eric pleaded.
“Look Jake,” I began, “I don’t know who you think you are, because I noticed what you and Sarah did, but if Eric is in some way even remotely Alone with Sarah I will never forgive you.” Of course I wasn’t that insecure of Sarah, but I had to lay out some form of point for Jake. I was right, Jake quickly stood up and began walking towards the kitchen, I followed. He took a glance out the kitchen door and looked back at me, he frowned.
“I’m sorry Eli; it was all Sarah’s idea. I didn’t know…” He choked for a moment.
I took a step outside. For one day, one day we were dating and Eric just. Eric was outside with a cup of beer in his hand, and Sarah in his arms kissing her. A lot of emotion went through my head, anger, sorrow, and betrayal. I remembered yesterday when he told me that we wouldn’t end on bad terms, that it wouldn’t ruin our friendship. I didn’t say a word; I simply turned around and walked back towards the front of the house. I felt a hot tear roll down my check.
“Eli, wait up” Jake yelled. I heard his footsteps running towards me. As I got to front of the yard, I realized that I had no ride home because we took Eric’s car.  When I turned around Jake wasn’t there, only Eric. He had an expression of “I’m so stupid” type of face.
“Eli, I’m so sorry… I was just confused, I thought that was you; I don’t even know if this is alcohol.” Eric muttered.
His breath didn’t smell like alcohol, but he was loping around he had just drank a whole gallon. He threw the cup onto the floor, and I just stared at it. There was moment of silence. I looked back up at him, and then I once again turned around and began walking.
“Eli, where are you going? There’s no way to get home around here, you know that bus’ don’t pass at this hour.”
“Then I’ll walk home.”
“Oh, like if that’s gonna work out… come on your safer that I take you home than walking like 10 miles home.”
I turned around.
“SAFER? How am I going to be safer in a car with some drunken idiot who can’t even tell the difference between two completely different people?” I yelled.
“Eli… I’m really sorry; can’t we just get past that already?”
I felt my eyes water up. How could he ask me to do that? Does he not know that I have feelings? A tear dropped. I looked straight into his eyes, hoping that by tomorrow when he wakes up sober he would remember these words.
“No Eric,” I said very calmly, “I can’t, and I’m sorry I can’t. I wish this could have worked out, and I really do have feelings for, because even though it’s only been about 2 days, it’s felt like 5 years. So thank you for those 5 years.” I looked down onto the floor, then once again turned around and walked away. This time he didn’t follow, he just stood in silence.
I walked up to a house with lights on, and knocked on the door. An old woman opened it, and I asked if I could use her phone to call my mom. I know I’m not supposed to trust strangers, but right now was an emergency. I called my mom, and stepped out to wait for her, when she arrived she was still in her pajamas, and had bags under her eyes. Neither of us said anything, and when we got home, she let me know that there was dinner in the fridge and slowly walked up to her room. I glanced over at the kitchen, and then walked up to my room also. I threw myself onto my bed and fell asleep.

I woke up to my mom calling my name. I jumped up and opened my door.
“What is it mom?”
“Eric’s here sweetheart, he says it’s really important.”
I didn’t want my mom to get suspicious of anything, so I threw some shoes on, went downstairs.
“Thanks Mrs. Illder,” Eric muttered.
“If you kids need anything, I’ll be in the kitchen. Oh and Eric would you like to stay for breakfast?” My mom asked.
“Ummh, sure I don’t see why not,” He responded.
Mom went into the kitchen, and I heard the stove click on.
“Well, do you want to come in?” I asked.
He stepped in with hesitation, and began walking up the stairs into my bedroom. I followed. He closed the door behind me.
“Eli, what happened yesterday?”
How could he not remember? I glanced down at the floor.
“See, something happened. What was it, was it really bad?”
“If you don’t remember, how did you know something happened?” I questioned.
“Because this morning, Arnold told me that I got home with Sarah.” He hesitated while responding.
“You… Got home with Sarah?” My words broke as I let them out. Eric looked at me, and then he realized what was going on.
“I did, didn’t I?” he asked. “Was it alcohol?”
“That’s the worst part Eric… I don’t even know.”
“I’m really sorry Eli; I promise it won’t happen again. Just please don’t break up with me. I Love you. We’ve only been going out for 2 days but it’s felt like 4 years. I really do have feelings for you, just please.”
I smiled at him “I forgive you.”
“Really?”
“Yea.” I responded
He looked kind of out. As he left, he gave me a final hug and a kiss on the cheek. I walked back into the kitchen.
“I thought Eric was going to stay for breakfast.” Mother began.
“No, he had an emergency.”
“Oh, well I hope everything’s alright.”
“Yea.”
Just then Chris and my dad came downstairs, and sat down at the table. I helped my mom take all of the food and we then sat down to eat. I couldn’t help but ask myself one question “Why did I forgive him?” Just a minute ago I was so upset about the whole thing, and I just forgave him.
“Well kids, your mother and I are going to have to go back with your grandmother today. As you guys know she’s still very sick, and we have to take care of her. So you kids will have to stay alone for a few more days.” Dad said.
“Oh that’s great” I responded. I began picking at my food with my fork.
“Aren’t you hungry Eli?” Mother asked.
“Yea, it’s just that I don’t really like when you guys leave. I mean don’t get me wrong I really do like that you guys are helping out my grandmother and what not, but I just miss you guys so much when you’re gone. Like literally there’s nothing to do.”
“Well Eli, why don’t you just hang out with Eric more? I mean he’s never busy is he?” Mother said.
“It’s just not the same though; I ALWAYS hang out with Eric.”
“Yea, but it’s only a few days, you’ll survive.”
“What time are you guys leaving?”
“In about 2 hours.”
“Can I go? PLEASE!” I begged
“Look Eli, I wish we could but you have school tomorrow and you need to get your education. We’ll leave the credit card and you both have your own cars, so you won’t need us.”
I went up to my room, and plopped onto my bed. I wasn’t really that mad that I couldn’t go, I just didn’t want to stay here. Two hours passed by, and my parents came up to say bye. Once they left Chris stormed into my room slamming the door open, I jumped, then sighed.
“What do you want?” I asked, throwing myself onto my bed, face first.
“I just came to tell you that tomorrow is the annual video game tournament.”
“And why do I care?”
“I don’t care whether you care or not, but just letting you know I’m going to be staying at Fred’s house to practice.”
“Practice video games?”
“It’s a know sport, get over yourself.”
“Riiight.”
“Well whatever, see you the day after tomorrow sis.”
I picked my head up quickly.
“Wait, I’m going to be alone? You know how I feel about being alone.”
“Oh come one you 16 now you should be over this. Besides I’m doing you a huge favor.”
“How?”
“I’m teaching you how to get over your fears, by facing them… your welcome. Got to go, bye sis. Oh and I left the credit card in the cabinet next to the TV.”
I heard Chris grab his bag, and then out the door he went. He didn’t take his car with him because Fred picked him up. I was Alone, I always hated being alone, so I texted Eric.
Hey, are you busy right now?
I remained alert staring at my phone, just waiting. Five minutes passed by and finally he texted back.
A tiny bit, why?
It’s just my parents left to my grandmother’s house and they’re going to be staying there for a few days, and Chris went to Fred’s house because of some dumb tournament. So I was wondering if you could come over to my house.

Oh, sure. Just let me pack some stuff really fast.

Okay.
             An hour passed by and still he hadn’t arrived. I began getting worried, because he usually gets here really fast. Then I got another text.
Hey, Eli I’m gonna be a few hours late. Arnold had an accident down the stairs and I have to go with him to the hospital. He’ll be fine though, it’s just a fracture.

Oh, okay I hope he feels better.

I decided to try and get the fact that I was gonna be alone, by getting some food. I was only 3 p.m. so; I took my car and drove off. I ended up at some Chinese place; it’s a good thing because I’ve really been craving Chinese food.  I ate really slowly because I didn’t want to go home, then I went to the mall to see what I could do. I ended up in an Arcade next to the movie theater. I played there for about 1 hour, and then I got bored so I decided to watch a movie. Of Course it was weird that I was alone, but hey it was still a good movie. It was really dark outside now; I was about 30 minutes away from home. I hated having to drive in the dark, but maybe I should have thought about that before I decided to leave. When I got onto the freeway, surprisingly there was no traffic; good so far.  I could have taken a shortcut,  but that would mean passing through some scary woods, and I know that’s not gonna happen, so I decided to go the long; I mean seriously, in scary movies that’s just the most retarded thing to do. I got a text from Eric, so I pulled over next to some liquor shop.
                             Hey, Eli they said Arnold was gonna be fine, so I’ll be at your house in about 20 minutes.
Oh, alright...... Meet you there