Pesadelo | Teen Ink

Pesadelo

By Iliana Espino BRONZE, Stockton, California
Iliana Espino BRONZE, Stockton, California

Author's note:

I was inspired my own personal experiences 

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

“Bye baby! Have a good day at school! I love you!”
“Bye Mom! I love you too!” Derek says as he waves goodbye to his mother.
His mom drives away and as Derek turns around he finds himself in front of the school’s bully. Billy and behind him he finds his group of friends.
“Aww look at wittle Derek saying bye to his mommy. Did you give mommy a kiss too mommy’s boooooyyy?”
“Leave me alone Billy.”
“Or what your gonna give me a kiss?”
“I said leave me alone. Please.”
“Aww guys he said please, that would mean I’d have to let you go if I was fair, but guess what? I’m NOT, so NO!”
The bell rang as a signal that school is about to begin.
“Don’t worry I’ll be back.” Billy said with a smirk on his face.
He then pushes Derek to the floor then him and his friends walked away one after the other making kissing noises.
“Are you ok?” said a girl.
“No. B-But I will be.” said Derek nervously.
“I’m Emma.” she said while reaching her hand out to pick him up.
“Derek.”
Present Day: January 15, 2075
“6:50? S*** I’m late again!”
Derek rushes to get ready for school. He puts on the clothes he found on the floor. He then got some toast and kissed his mom goodbye.
“Where do you think you’re going?” the man says.
Derek stops in his tracks knowing what he feared the most was right behind him.
“Late again I see.”
Derek replies by nodding his head and then turns to run towards the front door.
“Ah-ah-ah, going so soon.” says the man who now has Derek by his arm in a tight grip.
“I’m already late. Can I please go now?”
By now Derek’s voice has soften, trying not to sound rude or harsh.
“If you’re already late then why do you care about what time you show up? I mean if you’re late you’re late, right?”
Derek just stood silent.
“RIGHT?!!” yelled the man. “Answer me when I’m talking to you!!!!”
Before Derek speaks his mother runs in. Oh no thought Derek praying that his mother would just leave it alone.
“ Hey hey hey what’s going on here?” said Grace.
“It’s ok mom just- just go. Please.” said Derek.
“Yeah, listen to your boy.” said the man.
Derek’s mom glared at him.
“No I will not listen to OUR son and why aren't you on your way to school?”
“I-I” Before Derek could finish his sentence Marcus answered for him.
“I was just having a little chat with our young smart son Derek here.” said Marcus with a smirk.
Grace turned and faced Derek.
“Derek is he telling the truth?”
Before Derek could answer he sees an arm fly across his face and then he froze. Grace just got hit by the one and only Marcus.
“Did you NOT hear me?” he said in a stern voice. “I said we were talking! Now go cook me some breakfast!”
Derek’s mom was still on the ground grabbing ahold of her face. Her face was bright red and to her, burned like hell. It took her a minute to realize that she just got hit.
“Did you not hear me? I said cook for me. NOW! Get your ass up! Damn, you act like this was the first time I actually hit you.”
Grace got up and ran into the kitchen crying.
“WHAT THE ACTUAL F*** IS WRONG WITH YOU?!” yelled Derek.
“Absolutely nothing” said Marcus calm and with a grin on his face.
“You’re sick, you know that?” Derek said as Marcus walked away.
Marcus stopped in his tracks, turned his head and started to walk faster towards Derek.
“Excuse me?”
“I’m sorry did you not get that? You’re. Sick.”
Marcus anger grew more and more and the only way to let it out was by abuse. He lifted his hands up and swung across Derek’s face and then again. Once Derek dropped to the floor Marcus lifted up his knee and kicked Derek in the ribs.
“ Hey Grace. I’m going to work.”

Derek’s POV
“You’re. SICK.” I said.
Then next thing you know I see a fist coming at me. The first one didn't hit me that hard, so I felt his hairy knuckles brush against my left cheek with force. The next two hits were much harder and knocked me to the floor. I thought it was over until suddenly, I couldn't breathe. I got the wind knocked out of my lungs and was gasping for breath then I heard Marcus.
“Hey Grace. I’m headed to work.”

‘Hey Grace. I’m headed to work?’ he just beat the s*** out of me then normally says ‘Hey Grace. I’m headed to work.” f*ing coward, man I hate him.Apparently I passed out because next thing I know, I was in my bed with an ice pack on my head and ribs. I tried to get up, but i ended up screaming in pain because of my ribs. I hear my mom rush upstairs and my door flew open.
“Derek, honey are you ok? what happened?”
“No mom I’m-” Derek looks up to see his moms bruised face.
“OH MY GOD MOM! Stop worrying about me! Have you seen your face yet?’
“Yes, I have seen my face now stop worrying about me”
“How can I when he’s in this house? How can I feel safe when he’s in this house? Mom I don't feel protected with him in this house! Mom why do you even stay with him? I don’t see why you have a reason to when he does stuff like this!”
“I have my reasons. Derek, just please understand.”
“How can I understand that he’s not just beating me, he’s beating you too.”
F***. F***. F*** my eyes are starting to water no. No. No, not in front of my mom.
“You have to understand. Derek we would be on the street by now if it wasn't for him. I also thought he would be a good father figure when I first got with him.”
“Don’t worry mom. I’ll fix everything! I promise…”
“Ok, but not now. Sleep and if you’re not feeling good by tomorrow we’ll go to the hospital.”

I fell asleep and dreampt of me, Emma and my mom it was all good until Marcus shows up. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. Narrator's POV: 3rd person omniscient
Derek’s alarm went off at 6:30. School starts at 7:20, but gets up at that time so he can leave early to meet Emma up at Starbucks, when he actually can and to avoid Marcus. Derek had a hard time putting on his clothes for the day because his ribs still hurt, but he didn't tell his mom that because he didn't want to see Marcus. He wore dark jeans, a black t-shirt and a brownish/blackish sweater with vans for shoes. He tried to take a fast shower, but didn't really work out. He left at 7 today to meet up with Emma.
“Mom I’m going to school today! I feel much better. Stay safe, love you!”
“Bye honey! Love you too have a good day.”
Derek gets in his car and drives to Starbucks to meet with Emma. He drives and arrives at Starbucks ten minutes later. Emma sees him through the windows and smiles, waves then walks out to see him. Emma has long blonde hair, is light complected, has green eyes, is 5’3 and has tiny dimples. Derek fell in love with her a couple years after they met.
“Ready to go?” said Emma while getting into the car.
“As ready as I’ll ever be.”
“Oh my gosh Derek! What happened to your face? Was it Marcus again?”
“Yeah, but don’t worry about it. It’ll get better.”
Emma and Derek arrived at school just as soon as the bell rang. They had no classes together except Math and that wasn't until 4th period. Derek walks to his locker to get his Spanish book out for first period. Then all of a sudden he falls to the ground.
“F***.” said Derek under his breath.
“See you at lunch stupid.”

Derek’s POV
Billy. I can’t believe he’s still bullying me. I did nothing to him. I stood on the floor for about thirty seconds and walked to Spanish.
Spanish was boring. So was History and Math. Lunch. Greaaaaat.
The line for lunch is always sooo long so I wait. I don’t sit with Emma at lunch I have my group and she has hers. It’s always been that way. S***. Billy. I turn around and try not to make it obvious that I’m 30 feet away from him. Apparently that didn't work because he calls me anyways.
“Hey little f*er. Come over here.”
I continue walking, which I know is a bad idea because he’s going to hurt me even more. Billy runs up to me and pulls my hair.
“I called you. Why didn’t you come?”
“Because I didn’t feel like it.”
“Tsk-Tsk Derek. WRONG ANSWER!”
Billy pulled my hair even more and banged my head into the lockers and punched me over and over again. Anywhere in the face, ribs, arms, balls even. I couldn’t move, too much punches, and what made it even worse was that his group of friends jumped in and jumped me.Of course no one was there to see or help me. The pain hurt so much, but just the thought of being here sickens me. I ran to my car and drove home like I usually do on Mondays, but today was Wednesday sadly. My mom wasn't home when I arrived and I didn't see Marcus’ car parked out in front. I rushed inside and just slept. I was dreaming of nothing. All of a sudden I see me in a bed, but not my bed. What’s  happening? Am I dead? No wait. I see a heart monitor. It looks like my pulse is somewhat normal. Ok if I’m not dead…. then what happened to me?...

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

I see myself. WHY CAN I SEE MYSELF?! Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh- ok I need to calm
down. Ok… why am I at the hospital? What the heck happened to me. I see my mom. I try to get her attention, but nothing. Emma is next to her. They’re both silent, just sitting. How awkward. They see a doctor walking towards my room and I listen to what he’s saying.
“Your son, he’s in a coma for, I don’t know how long and his injuries, not severe, but bad enough that it caused him to enter in this coma. No internal bleeding and everything else, fine for now.”
“Oh thank God,” said my mom. She let out a sigh and you can tell weight was lifted off her shoulder.
“I am so relieved. Th-” The doctor cut my mom off.
“However y-”
“However? What do you mean however?”
“Your son. We would like to-”
I can’t hear them anymore, why can’t I hear them? And why are they getting blurry? Oh no. No. No. NO!

Grace’s POV

“Your son. We would like to do a little experiment on him”
“Experiment? You actually think I’m going to let you experiment on my son?”
“Just hear me out. Please we would like to use him as a test subject, it’s a bit difficult to explain. Hmm..you see, the experiment is that we need someone who is in a coma-”
“My son.”
“Yes, your son. We want to give him a shot that can possibly wake him up. Our scientists have done some research for the past hundred years, maybe even longer. We believe we have something that can wake a person up from a coma.”
“What happens if he doesn't wake up?” said Emma.
“We were hoping that doesn't happen.” said Connors.
“And-and you just expect us to to go along with that?” said Emma.
“We’ll we aren't forcing you to make the decision. Emma, right? I-”
I cut him off because right now, I know we need to get Derek back. Now.
“Deal.”
“What?” said Connors and Emma simultaneously.
“Emma we are doing this. Yes, will Derek be ok though?”
“If it works then yes, he will be just fine.”
“And if not?”
“The possibilities are endless.We-we don’t know.”
“Ok he’ll do it. You better hope this works or else.”
“Yes-yes ma’am we’ll do the best we can.”
I’m so thankful to have known Connors since I was a girl. He’s helped us so much, no matter how much I yell at him in situations like this. Dr.Connors left at 2:26. It is now 5:12. I haven’t left Derek's side since the moment the school called me two days ago. I was crying so hard that I could barely see where I was driving. Once I saw him go right into the emergency room, my heart dropped completely. I was broken. No, I am broken. If he doesn't survive than I have no reason to live. I didn't even know my own son was getting bullied. I have to change everything. First I’ll start off by kicking Marcus out of both our lives.

Narrator's POV
It takes Grace five minutes to gather her stuff, three minutes to rush from Derek’s hospital room to the parking lot out front and fifteen minutes to drive home. While driving home Grace dials 911 on her new iPhone 67 and tells them everything about Marcus. She sits in her car for another ten minutes to wait for the cops to come help for backup. Grace talks to her house.
“Martha please open the front door.” said Grace.
“Opening front door.” said Martha.
Grace walks in casually and starts to yell.
“Marcus? Marcus? Marcus where are you? We need to talk! MARCUS!”
No answer. Grace looks in the kitchen. Nothing. Living room. Nothing. Upstairs. Nothing. Restrooms. Nothing “Where can he be?” whispered Grace to herself. “Oh my god why didn't I think of this sooner? Of course!”
She ran to her car and drove sixteen blocks to a sports bar with the cops right behind her. She jumps out the car and rushed into the bar. It was loud. Very loud. Everyone was screaming at the giant screen right in front of them. She squints her eyes looking around the room. She stops as soon as she spots Marcus. He was wearing a Packers jersey and was drunk. He held his beer up high cheering. Grace turns and faces the undercover cop.“I don’t think I can do this anymore. He’s drunk and he gets very abusive when I interrupt him.”
“It’s going to be ok. Why do you think we’re here? We came to help you. If anything happens don’t worry we’ll come help you.”
Grace inhales, nods her head and walks towards Marcus.
“Hey, b****. What are you doing here? You should be at home cooking me dinner.” says Marcus while swinging his beer around.
“I’m done. We’re done. Whatever the f*** this is, its done.”
Marcus chuckles and says,”You don’t get to decide anything here. Now go home and cook me some god damn FOOD!”
“No!”
Everyone and everything fell silent, including the tv.
“What did  you tell me?”
“ I said NO! I am so sick of this s***! You bossing me around, me listening, abusing not only me, but my son! I am tired of this. It needs to STOP NOW!”
Marcus throws his beer across the room and grabs Grace by her little neck. She’s struggling to get free and he won’t let go.

Grace’s POV
I can’t breathe. It hurts so bad. My tiny arms are nothing of help compared to his massive ones.Where the hell are the cops. I try to look around, but I can’t. The only thing I’m forced to look at is his eyes. They’re so dark, like I’m falling  into a pit full of darkness and there is no escape. I start to black out, I see a variety of colors replacing the bar. I can’t breathe at all. Narrator's POV
The police rush inside the bar and hit Marcus from behind to make him release Grace. Once he lets go she drops to the ground and starts to gasp for air. The undercover cop rushes to Grace and picks her up and drives her to the hospital. Once they arrive she rushes to see Derek. Her eyes are glossy and shes about to cry.
“I did it baby boy,” she paused “We’re free. We’re going to be okay now. I promise.”
She kissed him on the forehead and started to cry.
“Please come back Derek. I need you.”
Grace is now sitting next to Derek sleeping while Dr.Connors walks in.
“Hey, Grace.” he starts to shake her, trying to wake her up. “Grace.”
Grace mumbles and stretches to wake herself.
“Dr.Connors,” she says as she rushes to her feet “I am so sorry.”
“Grace, please there is no need to apologize.”
“You’re right.” she smiles at him
“I have it right here.”
He hangs up a bag beside him and inside it was a needle composed of orange liquid.
“Is that-”
“Yes it is. Would you prefer to do this now or in the morning?”
“Now. Please. I need to see my son. I need to know that he’s alright, that he’s going to be alive.”

“Ok, but we can’t do it here. There is this secret laboratory across town that we are required to go to, for experiences.”
“Ok let’s go.”
It takes them thirty minutes to arrive at the secret laboratory. Grace looks around the building when she is inside. The outside is hidden, but the inside has more technology than she has seen her whole life. The walls are gray and there are elevators everywhere.
“This way please.” says Connors while gesturing his hand to the left hallway.
The hallway was long and white everywhere.Connors walks into room 38A. There are two people waiting for them.
“Hi! Nice to meet you, I’m Dr.Robertson, but you can call me Sandra.” said the one on the left.
“Hello. I’m Dr.Howard, Nice to finally meet you.” said the man on the right.
“Nice to meet the both of you. I’m Grace.”
“Dr.Connors, the patient?” said Howard.
“Right he’s on his way.”
“Perfect.”
A knock on the door appeared and Derek is on a gurney a woman is behind it, bringing him in.
“Thank you Kristy. That’ll be all.” said Sandra.
She nods and walks away.
“Ok are you guys ready?”
“Not quite.” says Howard across the room. He’s grabbing a camera, then sets it up across from us.“Okay, ready.”
Howard starts speaking into the camera.
“Hello this is Dr.Robertson, Dr.Connors, Grace, test subject Derek and myself, Dr.Howard. This right here will wake anyone up from a coma. I will now inject this into Derek’s left arm. Now, we wait to see how long it is until he wakes up. Thank you.”
It takes two hours until it woke up Derek.
“Oh my gosh! It worked!” said Dr. Robertson
Grace runs up to Derek hugging him tight while crying.
“Uh-Mom? Are you ok?”
“Yes, yes I’m perfectly fine now that you’re here.”
“Uh-Where did I go?”
“You were in a coma sweetheart.”
“Oh my god!”
“I’ll tell you what you missed on our way home.”
“Congratulations to you both.” said Dr.Howard.
“Thank you so much! All of you! I don’t know how I can repay you.”
“You don’t have to, really, you helped us.”
Derek and Grace drove home and she told him everything.

Derek started to go to school a week later feeling more confident than ever before. He did his morning routine and then school started. He went to his classes and then lunch arrived. Billy was walking down the hallway with his crew and started to pick on Derek.
“Leave me alone Billy! Don’t ruin my day.”
“I heard I made you go to the hospital.”
“Yeah, so?”
“So, I take it you don’t want me to do it again.”
“I honestly could care less on what you do you’re irrelevant to me so please go away.”
“No, faggot. You don’t tell me what to do.”
“Oh that’s funny because I think I just did.”
Billy punched Derek in the face and he dropped to the floor. Derek used his legs to trip Billy and he landed on the water fountain. Everyone stared at him. Billy ended up in the hospital and died later that night because his head injury was so severe. Ever since that moment everything changed. Emma stopped talking to Derek and turns out Derek is the new Billy. Ever since Billy died, his old crew needed someone to look for as a leader and they thought who was better to replace him than the person who killed him? Derek. Derek got worse over the years, he bullied people so bad that they would kill themselves. First it was one person then it got worse, along with his anger issues.
Derek’s POV
After my mother died after graduation I started going crazy. I know that no matter how many times I bullied someone, that it would just lead to death, so my “solution” was to get it over with and kill them instead. I then created an army who killed everyone in their path, they ended up doing that until the army killed everyone on the planet. I felt that I  needed to kill in order for my pain to disappear. I know that killing is bad. I know its wrong, but after I ended up dropping a bomb where my soldiers were. Yup. I’m alone on planet earth. I killing is bad. I know its wrong, but after I ended up dropping a bomb where my soldiers were. Yup. I’m alone on planet earth. I didn't see this coming. After I took that thing that woke me up from my coma I've gone insane. You wanna know  what sucks too?  I was the only one who went crazy. Maybe all my hatred towards Billy and Marcus made me go crazy. I didn't want anyone to hurt me, so I ended up doing the worst thing alive killing everyone. Now I’m going to kill me too.

didn't see this coming. After I took that thing that woke me up from my coma I've gone insane. You wanna know  what sucks too?  I was the only one who went crazy. Maybe all my hatred towards Billy and Marcus made me go crazy. I didn't want anyone to hurt me, so I ended up doing the worst thing alive killing everyone. Now I’m going to kill me too.

I woke up drenched in my own sweat. That was the worst dream I’ve ever had in my entire life. What a nightmare..