The Second Time the Doctor Dances | Teen Ink

The Second Time the Doctor Dances

February 3, 2014
By Puhjay, Lutz, Florida
More by this author
Puhjay, Lutz, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Author's note:

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

With shaking hands, I took my house keys out of my pocket and unlocked the door. The door creaked softly as it opened, and my heart ached a little at the familiar sound. I felt heat rising up in my face and burning behind my eyes: a warning that I was about to lose it. I walked calmly through the living room, where my mum was watching the news on the telly, but when I was just out of her sight, I felt myself begin to break. Sprinting up the stairs, I was barely able to fight back my tears. I swung open my bedroom door and slammed it back shut, locking it. I needed my privacy. Collapsing into my bed, I muffled my loud sobs with my pillow. I couldn't believe it. This wasn't happening. She couldn't be gone. She couldn't have left me. The same thoughts cycled in my head over and over, like a broken record. It couldn't be. It couldn't be. It couldn't be. After a couple of minutes of crying profusely, I heard a knock on my door.

"Danielle? Darling, are you all right?" my mum shouted through the door. With difficulty, I pulled myself off the bed and unlocked the door. She opened it and started at the sight of my red, puffy face. "Oh my god, what happened?"

It took me a couple of seconds to even make a sound.

"M-m-mum..." I stuttered slowly, only to trail off again. My legs began to feel weak, and I sat down, putting my head in my hands sobbing again. She sat down next to me, her face creased with worry.

"Darling," she repeated gently, "what happened?"

I finally stopped crying, but the deep aching in my chest and the tightness in my throat still didn't go away. My muscles felt like they had turned to lead. I was so weak. I choked out the words I had been dreading to say since I got home.

"Mum... Rose is dead."

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

TWO YEARS LATER

I sat alone at a cramped little wooden table at a small coffee shop, cappuchino in hand. Rather than drinking alcohol when I was upset like everybody else, I drank coffee. It was a healthier habit, and I liked it. Rose would have approved.

This used to be our favorite spot, ever since we began high school. Once we were done with school, we would take the bus to the stop just down the street, rather than straight home, and have ourselves some pastries or a cup of coffee. So many things had happened in this little cafe: gossip had been exchanged, stories had been told, and we'd even watched a fight fall out between two of our classmates.

It had been here, also, that Rose had introduced me to the Doctor. It was a bit of a shock, honestly; she had been missing for over a year and suddenly she'd called me out of the blue and asked me to meet her in the coffee shop. The way she was talking, it was as if nothing had happened.

Then, I'd walked into the coffee shop to find her sitting at a table with a man in a leather jacket I'd never seen before. I stopped abrubtly, the door closing with a light jingle behind me. Rose, being the one with her back turned to the wall, saw me first and waved me over. It took me a second to regain control of my legs, but eventually I walked over. As I sat down, she smiled at me, but her happy expression faded with one glance at the look on my face. It was as if she'd forgotten that she hadn't seen me for over a year, which was completely ridiculous. How could she forget me, after all we'd been through? We were best friends, for god's sake!

"Daisy, I'm so sorry..." she whispered. She looked like she was about to cry. To be honest, I was too. How could she have done this? I didn't understand.

The strange man suddenly spoke, trying to break the ice.

"Hello, I'm the Doctor," he said brightly, holding his hand out for me to shake. I accepted it reluctantly, looking him up and down as I did. His hair was cut very short, making his ears look larger than they should. He was wearing a deep purple V-neck underneath the jacket, which, surprisingly, didn't look too bad on him. However, he seemed rather old for a man that my best friend was hanging out with alone. I arched my eyebrow a bit in disapproval.

"If I may ask... Doctor who?" I questioned. He waved the question away as if he were swatting an annoying fly.

"Just the Doctor," he replied. I frowned. Either he was a bit cocky, or he was simply weird. Didn't matter though, I didn't like him very much so far.

"I'm Danielle." I introduced myself rather hesitantly.

"Oh I know," he said. "Rose has told me all about you." I just stared, open-mouthed, at him. This time it was Rose that saved the conversation, noticing both of our expressions as we eyed each other.

"So, Daisy... I'm sort of here ta'... explain myself, I guess. But in order for you to believe me, I need ta' show you somethin'. Is tha' alright?" she asked. Her expression was almost pleading.

I tore my eyes away from the Doctor and looked out the window, thinking. Of course I wasn't about to lose my best friend again after being torn apart from her for almost a year, but the way she explained it... I was pretty sure the story she was about to tell me was going to be a strange one. I had absolutely no idea of knowing if it was the legitimate truth. Then again, this was my only shot at ever knowing in the slightest what had happened to her over the past year, even if Rose didn't tell me the truth. I was bound to find out something that was real.

After a couple of minutes, I made my decision. I looked directly at the Doctor, then at Rose.

"Alright, show me."

We all got up at once, and I followed Rose and the Doctor out of the little cafe. They turned right and began walking down the sidewalk. Rose looked back at me and spoke over her shoulder.

"Daisy, you have ta' promise not to skip out on us, alright? You have ta' stay with us."

I nodded. However, her comment had made me a little uneasy. Why was she so sure I would leave her? I furrowed my brow and stared down at my Converse, glancing up occasionally to make sure I was still following them.

We turned right again after a few shops, into a damp, dreary little alleyway that even the cockroaches seemed to avoid. Now I was starting to get very shifty. No wonder Rose had made me promise to stick with her. I wrinkled my nose as we passed a pair of particularly smelly garbage bins. I hoped we were going to reach our destination soon.

As it turns out, my wish was granted sooner than I had expected. At the end of the alleyway stood something that seemed a little newer and cleaner than everything else. It was a deep blue box, marked with the words "POLICE PUBLIC CALL BOX" on the top. I walked up to it, then turned back to Rose and the Doctor, confused.

"What's this all about?" I asked curiously. I noticed the Doctor was patting down his jacket, seemingly searching for something. He took out a strange metal device resembling a stick and handed it to Rose to hold before pulling out a small key on a chain. He took back whatever Rose was holding and put it back into his jacket pocket. Then he looked back up at me.

"If you want to find out, I suggest you move aside," he snapped rather rudely. I obeyed, but not without sticking my tongue out at his back as he walked up to the box and inserted his key in the lock. Rose giggled.

The Doctor managed to get the key to work on the box. I frowned. That was strange. The door swung open and he stepped inside. So did Rose. I began walking to the box so I could talk to them through the doorway.

"Are you sure there's room for three in there...?" My sentence drifted off and I stood, open-mouthed.

"Impossible."

"Well, you're looking at it, aren't you?" replied the Doctor. I shot him a quick death glare before continuing to gaze at the spectacle inside.

It was... to sum it up, bigger on the inside. Enormous on the inside, in fact. Not to mention it was beautifully futuristic. A transparent column rose up from the middle of the gigantic room inside, with some sort of console installed around it. A circular platform with rails surrounded the console, and the Doctor and Rose were leaning against either side. The floor was made of mesh, so that if you looked down, you could see some of the exposed machinery and wires snaking around to the different places they came from. Columns of coral also bordered the room, giving it a very unique taste and a sturdy feeling. I don't know what it was about the room, but I liked it.

I ran outside again and checked around the box to make sure this wasn't a trick. Yet there wasn't anything to be suspicious of on the outside. It was one hundred percent real. As I ducked back into the box and began to walk around, Rose grinned at me. Even the Doctor couldn't resist a smile. My curiosity began to spark even more, and I looked up to them to speak.

"What exactly does all of this do? How is this even possible?" I swept my arm around, gesturing at the entire room for emphasis.

The Doctor grinned once again. "It travels through all of time and space. Time Lord science." I gasped at the first sentence, but then I furrowed my brow at his last three words.

"Time Lord?" I asked.

"What if I told you I weren't human?" the Doctor replied. I gaped at Rose. She smiled widely and nodded twice. It was true.

"But... you look human! How can you be alien?" I gasped.

"Well, you look Time Lord!" he snapped. "If you really want confirmation, I have a stethoscope here." He somehow managed to pull a rather large stethoscope out of his pocket and handed it to me. I looked at him strangely, eyebrow raised.

"My 'ship' isn't the only thing that's bigger on the inside," he confirmed. "Now go on, listen closely." He pointed to his chest enthusiastically.

I hesitated, then put the stethoscope to his chest. I could hear a regular heartbeat. I began to frown, until I heard something else that sounded like... a mirroring heartbeat? I moved around the stethoscope a little until it landed above his second heart. Two normal heartbeats, who would have thought? I handed the stethoscope back to him, eyeing him curiously once again. He returned the stare, but with a more interested and admiring look. I could tell my reaction was slightly different than what he had expected, or even seen in the past. I couldn't help feeling a bit smug at having captured his attention.

I then turned back to Rose. I still hadn't forgotten why we were here.

"You still have to explain why you left us for so long, Rose," I said, my voice becoming dangerously quiet.

She took a deep breath and hesitated for a moment before beginning to speak. She'd been expecting this.

"Well, you heard the Doctor explain tha' this... machine can travel through all of time and space?" she stopped and looked at me until I nodded in confirmation. '"Well, I know it's been a year since you've last seen me, but for me, the last time I saw you was yesterday. From my perspective, I've only been gone for a day."

The explanation barely made me feel any better. I began to get angry.

"And whose bloody idea was it to come back after a year? Was it his?!" I gestured rather rudely at the Doctor, who barely flinched at my remark. Rose looked rather terrified, but shakily continued her explanation.

"The machine malfunctioned a bit. The doctor entered the exact date, and the TARDIS- this thing..." she gestured around the room, "got everything right but the year. We were meant to come back twelve hours later... not twelve months..." she walked over and sat down on the only chair in the room, head in her hands.

I felt a slight pang of guilt for yelling at her. I could only imagine all the stress she must be going through, especially since she didn't mean for this to happen in the slightest. If she'd already seen her mum and Mickey, which she most likely had... she'd probably already been to hell and back. I sat next to her and put my arms around her. She turned around and did the same. Without exchanging any words, we'd come to a silent agreement. I pulled away from the hug and I smiled at her reassuringly. She smiled back, and I could see the twinkle in her eye again, revived.

After that had been resolved, we'd trudged back to the little cafe and bought ourselves a coffee each. Well, with the exception of the Doctor. I guess a nice shot of caffeine wasn't exactly the healthiest thing to give to a person with two hearts. So instead, he sat at the table and waited for us to finish our orders.

We spent the entire afternoon talking about Rose and the Doctor's adventures through time. The stories bounced between them, one interrupting the other and correcting them before taking the tale over from there. I enjoyed it immensely; they were both very good storytellers and the chemistry between them made me laugh. I asked lots of questions while they explained what they had been doing, which the Doctor mostly answered, but occaisionally Rose would shout out an answer before the Doctor, beaming with pride.

I smiled to myself as I sat at my little table, the same one we had been at just three years ago, recounting the adventures. Thinking about that day reminded me of how much I missed Rose, but in a good way. There were no tears, just smiles, and that was just the way I liked it these days. I liked staying happy.

After about five more minutes, I decided it was about time to leave. I had a bus to catch in order to get back home, and it was going to arrive soon. I pushed the door open to leave, and it closed behind me with a light jingle as I walked down to the bus stop. There was a man already sitting on the bench there. He was wearing an unusal combination of clothing that somehow suited him: a trenchcoat over a pinstripe suit and tie. When I glanced at his feet, I saw that he was wearing Converse. I liked his taste.

I sat down on the bench a respectable distance away from him; he was still a stranger to me, after all. When I did sit next to him, he glanced over at me airily, then froze, wide-eyed.

I stared. He must have me mistaken for someone else. I decided to try and reassure him.

"Sir, are you alright?" I asked. He cleared his throat nervously and ran a hand through the front of his hair quickly.

"Perfectly alright," he choked out. He was still staring at me like he'd seen a ghost. I decided to give it up. He probably wasn't going to tell me anytime soon. However, he spoke to me again after a moment.

"If you don't mind me asking... what is your name?" he asked nervously.

"Danielle Davidson, sir." I said respectively. His expression changed from one of agitation to one of deep pain. I was starting to become concerned. Perhaps I knew the man, and I didn't remember him. I decided to try to find out if I did.

"And what would your name be, sir?" I asked him softly. He closed his eyes shut for a second, inhaling deeply. When I got his answer, I could barely hear it, he muttered it so quietly.

"I'm the Doctor. Just call me the Doctor."

The author's comments:
Jeez, I had the LONGEST writer's block when it came to coming up with the first adventure for Daisy and the Doctor to take, but now I think I have an idea of what I'm going to do. ^-^

I felt my face pale as I looked at the man, who was avoiding eye contact with me, visibly upset. He put his head in his hands, and I heard him take two very deep breaths.

"I-I'm sorry... can you say that again? I'm not quite sure I heard right." I choked out.

He finally looked at me again, and my heart broke in two. He was most definetely the Doctor. His eyes had a traumatized look to them, deep underneath the surface. They were heavy with all the things he had seen and the people he had lost (including Rose, I realized with a jolt): much too heavy for someone with such a young body. I wanted to hug him so badly my chest ached.

"You heard perfectly fine," he said softly, and despite his mood, he managed to muster a small grin: "Hello, Daisy."

I stood stone still, staring at him with wide eyes.

"But you've changed!" I exclaimed, my eyes finally breaking away from his face to look him up and down again. At this he made a small chuckle.

"I've regenerated," the Doctor corrected me. When he saw the puzzled look on my face, he tried to explain, almost rambling: "It's... a Time Lord thing. When my body takes a fatal wound, it can repair itself, but it has to rewrite a lot of my cells. I get a whole new appearance: different face and everything! I nearly convinced myself I was a ginger when I regenerated this time 'round. Rose was there when it happened, she probably told you when we crashed here..." he faded off again and both of our expressions darkened simultaneously. Rose: the only real connection between us, and now she was gone forever. We both sat in silence for a few seconds, lost in our mourning.

I remembered very clearly the moment I found out that Rose had died. There had been another alien attack on London, and although it hadn't been the first time that this had happened, I still checked for a sign of the Doctor or Rose after it was all over. I always did. I was usually successful at finding something that told me they were safe. This time, however, I came up empty, even though I knew that they had been in town; Rose had called. As a last resort, I looked at the list of the dead. When my eyes finally found Rose's name, along with her mum's, I couldn't believe it was true. I continued searching desperately, hoping to find something that would show that they were still alive. There wasn't anything to be found. They were gone. I was in total shock until I arrived home.

Sitting here with the Doctor, I realized he probably knew a lot more about Rose's death than I did. I had been continuing on with my life the past two years, guessing and wondering about what had actually happened to her that day, and I had felt so hopeless knowing that the Doctor, the only person that could possibly have the answers to all of my questions, could be literally galaxies or centuries away from me at that moment. Now he was right next to me. I wasn't about to miss this opportunity, so I decided to speak aloud one of the questions that had been nagging at me for years.

"Doctor, were you... were you there when it... happened?" I asked slowly. My voice cracked halfway through the sentence, and I looked at the ground, my vision blurry with tears, bracing myself for the story that was bound to come. To my surprise, however, the Doctor turned and looked at me in shock, forgetting his greif for a moment.

"Danielle Davidson... I nearly forgot... You don't know!" he exclaimed, ecstatic. He jumped up, clapping his hands together with joy. "Oh, this is brilliant!"

I stared at him for what seemed like the twentieth time in the past five minutes. His change of mood stunned me. Hadn't I just asked him how Rose had died?

"Doctor- what do you mean? What don't I know?" I spluttered.

"I mean, that Rose isn't dead! Jackie or Mickey neither! They're trapped in a parallel universe! So very, very far away from us and impossible to reach, but so very, very alive!" he shouted. A couple of pedestrians stopped and looked at him strangely as they passed by, distracted by the change in his voice level and shocked by his exclamation.

Ignoring them, I gaped at him in disbelief, trying to fully process what he had just said.

"You're kidding me! How?"

He was still standing, grinning from ear to ear and practically bouncing on his toes. He didn't say anything, nor did he answer my question; he only waited for everything to sink in.

Eventually, it did. I began to squeal excitedly, and, overjoyed, I rushed over to hug him. He embraced me and held me tightly as I began to cry happily into his shoulder. She wasn't dead. She may not have been in the same universe as us, but she was still alive. I couldn't have been happier.

I felt a tad of moisture on my shoulder as we hugged and realized the Doctor was crying too. I pretended not to notice, but I felt my smile fade dramatically. It must have taken a lot to get him to show raw emotion like that; he probably missed Rose terribly.

It was about five minutes before we finally separated. I felt myself blushing momentarily, embarrassed that I had just been crying on the shoulder of a man I had only ever seen once before. However, the feeling disappeared just as quickly as it had come. I felt more comfortable around this "new" Doctor; it was as if he had been created just for me. I smiled up at him. He looked down at me and did the same, but it seemed forced. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

The bus arrived right on cue, just as we were about to sit back down on the bench. We boarded silently, taking a seat together near the back. After our talk about Rose, we didn't seem to have anything to say anymore. I was emotionally drained for the day, and I could bet that he felt the same. However, the silence didn't last as long as I had thought it would, because a question suddenly came to me.

"Doctor, what are you here for?" I asked. He was staring blankly out of the window, lost in thought, but slowly came back to reality so he could turn around and speak to me.

"Well, I was actually heading for Cardiff to refuel. There's a massive time rift there, perfect energy source..." he paused for a second, trying to prevent himself from rambling, "Anyway, the TARDIS kept pulling me towards London instead. It's like she knew I was going to meet you here. Well, she probably did, clever little thing she is..."

The Doctor trailed off and glanced at me for a second, looking unsure. I tried not to look concerned, but it must not have been convincing enough because he immediately attempted to end the subject.

"Doesn't matter now, of course. I still don't know why I'm here, but I am. I don't like not knowing..."

He frowned at the floor a bit, and I laughed nervously. Of course, I knew exactly why the TARDIS had pulled the Doctor here, and athough he was in denial about it he did too. She seemed to have the intention of making me become his new "companion", as Rose had once said. She was... matchmaking? No, more like finding him a new friend, that idea was ridiculous, I thought, blushing. Still, she expected me to travel with him, and that was quite daunting. Yes, flying around with the Doctor through all of time and space was bound to be a thrill, but it was a scary thought at the same time. I didn't want to ponder on it just yet. I needed time to process.

When I looked over at the Doctor again, he was back to his position at the window. Glancing past him, I noticed with a start that we were nearly to my flat. I nudged the Doctor and asked if he wanted to get off with me. He shook his head.

"I have some... repair work to do on the TARDIS. It might take a while," he explained. I nodded once, even though I knew that was a lie. The Doctor just needed some time alone so that he could think clearly and get his emotions in check. I didn't mind. However, I knew the Doctor had a habit of running away from his personal problems, and I didn't want him to leave just yet, not when I'd been waiting to see him for so long.

"Doctor, promise you won't disappear?"

He jumped a bit, as if stung by my words, and I stared at him.

"Sorry," he muttered, looking at the floor, "it's just that Rose said those exact words to me not long after we met." A prickle of guilt and shock shivered down my spine, and I stared, not knowing how to reply.

He interrupted the slight silence: "No, I won't disappear, but I can't promise I'll stay long. If you want to see me again, it'll have to be soon. And for the record, I do hope we meet again in the future, Daisy." He lifted his eyes to me and smiled slightly. I could tell that it was genuine this time.

Within an instant I felt the bus beginning to brake. When it finally stopped in front of my flat block, I got up and walked towards the front of the bus, thanking the bus driver once. I looked back just as I was about to get off and made eye contact with the Doctor. We both stared at each other for a second, not wanting to look away even though we would see each other again in just a few hours. It took all of my willpower to tear my gaze away and walk off of the bus.

I stood on the curb and watched as the bus slowly drove away. Only when it had turned the corner and driven out of sight did I move, unwillingly dragging myself towards the door of my room on the second floor. As I tried to open the lock, it jammed a little, as usual, but with a slight jiggle of the handle I managed to open the door.

It had been one year since I'd moved out of my mum's house, unable to tolerate the memories of Rose that everything inside brought back to me. Now, of course, I was better about things like that, but I was beginning to like my little space. If I left with the Doctor, I would sure miss it.

The walls of the living area were a plain white, as I hadn't been allowed to paint them, so I had compromised by covering them with every bit of familiarity I could think of at the time. Scattered lightly around the mess of my wall were a couple of drawings created by Rose and I when we were children, photos of both of us together, and paintings that had once been hanging in her flat before her and Jackie died- no, disappeared, I thought with a grin. Wedged in between were things from my other friends and family members: mostly Christmas letters and birthday cards. In specific spots along the wall where I had placed furniture such as my leather sofa and my television, you could actually see the chipped white paint, unlike everywhere else.

My kitchen, in contrast, was quite normal. It had the same white walls as the living area, but this time it was paired with a light wooden floor. The counters were a mediocre shade of brown, topped with granite, and they were close to spotless. The only things that seemed out of the ordinary in the room were the fridge decorations. I had a picture of the Doctor, Rose and I in the cafe hanging by a magnet near the top of the fridge door. The magnet in question was hand-made to look like the TARDIS. It was one of my favorite things in the flat.

I put my bag on the counter and walked over to my fridge to take the picture and its magnet off of the door. I gazed steadily at the image of the Doctor, studying his nose, his eyes, and his hair. All of it was so... different now. I found myself once again trying to make sense of what had just happened. This was the same man I had just encountered, but with a different face and personality. It all seemed so surreal, but it was actually happening.

I began to put the photo back up, but stopped for a second to study my TARDIS magnet. I was going to have to travel in the TARDIS too, if the Doctor made up his mind. I hadn't stepped foot in that... thing in two years. The idea of being in that room again gave me a feeling of nervous anticipation, one that wouldn't go away. It followed me, even when I put the picture and magnet back onto the fridge and sat down to watch some television.

I sighed as I began to flick through the channels with my remote, feeling edgy. I couldn't seem to find something I wanted to watch, my mind was racing too much for me to focus. I decided to try to watch the news until I calmed down enough to think properly. However, what came up only made me feel worse. A shiver of dread crept slowly down my spine as I locked my eyes onto the image being displayed behind the reporter onscreen, who was making an emergency broadcast.

At first glance the report appeared completely normal, or at least as normal as you can get during an emergency broadcast. It appeared that a portion of the London Underground had collapsed, caving in the street and a couple of cars with it. Nothing was, really, out of the ordinary. At least until I spotted a dark blue telephone box in the corner of the shot.

I frantically scrambled for the remote and paused the television before rewinding in slow motion. I wanted to double check what I had seen, and sure enough my eyes hadn't been decieving me. In fact, I spotted something I hadn't seen before. In that corner of the screen, if you looked closely, you could see the door open, releasing a man in a long trenchcoat. The man seemed to be running towards the center of all of the action, and my insides crawled when I realized who it was.

It was the Doctor.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Apr. 1 2014 at 9:26 am
uncomfortableBrunette SILVER, Lr. Sackville, Other
5 articles 13 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
I want to hate you half as much as i hate myself

Please add the next chapter!! Its so good!