The Second Quarter Quell: Haymitch Abernathy

Author's note: Unlike the previous "Hunger Games" fan-fiction I entered,this one was done alone. I had written...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Unlike the previous "Hunger Games" fan-fiction I entered,this one was done alone. I had written this once before and I read it and was like "Wow. This sucks." So I completely redid it with a new flare. I was inspired to write this after seeing a video on youtube someone made about the Second Quarter Quell that was absolutely fantastic!
If you have the opportunity to watch it, I'd recommend it! :)
Enjoy!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next »

1

I sit up in my bed, debating whether or not to sign up for more tesserae and risk entering my name for the Hunger Games. Reaping is tomorrow and I know that something will happen to change the way we look at the Games forever. I’m lucky enough to not have been Reaped at 16, but that doesn’t mean that the odds are in my favor. I want to provide for my family, but I don’t want to go into the Games. I have too much to lose. First, is my family. My mother and 11 year old brother mean the world to me. I mean, I have been the primary supporter since my father left us when I was 10. My father revealed that he was having an affair with a visiting Capitol woman and he left us and is now living a life of luxury with his new wife and my half-brother, Seneca. I asked to change my last name from Crane to Abernathy, my mother’s maiden name. My father was no longer a part of my life and I wanted no part of him, thus the changing of my name. I vowed that I would never abandon my family. I am super protective because of it.
My second reason is my girlfriend of one year, Alexa. She is my everything. If I survive Reaping this year, and the next two years, I want to ask Alexa to spend forever with me. I can’t picture my life without her. Having my name in six times is enough to scare her.
I finally decide to risk the chances of the Games and I slip out of bed. I go to pull a shirt out of the drawer when I hear Tyler snoring softly only a short distance from me. He is practically a miniature version of me. Standing just short of five feet, his tousled dark hair and pale gray eyes are almost identical to mine. I have been teaching him to hunt in the woods, for a more substantial meal other than the poor tesserae rations we are given. It’s illegal to go beyond the fence, and if we get caught, it’s certain execution. I had been caught once, but the Peace Keeper let me off with a warning. Tyler wasn’t with me. But if he had been, things would’ve been different. I am fully dressed and I slip down the stair and I reach for the door when I hear my mom from behind.
“Haymitch? Where are you going? It’s five thirty in the morning.”
“Nowhere.” I lie. My mom chuckles and I know that she knows me better.
“Haymitch, don’t lie to me.”
“I’m going for tesserae registration.” I sigh. She shakes her head.
“We have enough.”
“The portions of tesserae are barely enough to get us through the week! I’m not afraid of putting my name in!”
“No but I am! I can’t lose you! Tyler needs you. It’s not worth it.”
“I’ll be fine, mom.” I assure her. She nods and I turn towards the door again, but I hug her before leaving.

MortalDreamer5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 9 at 7:00 pm:
Amazing! I loved the Hunger Games, and this prequel was mind-blowing!

Girlonfire12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love the hunger games so much u did an awesome job. hope u get to read mine How i survived the hunger games

Willflower.-.-. said...
May 7, 2013 at 7:29 pm:
YOU MADE ME CRY AGAIN! AHHHH! YOU'RE SO FINNICKING GOOD OF AN AUTHOR!!!!!!!!

GwendolynHarisson replied...
May 8, 2013 at 4:15 pm :
What part this time? ;)

Willflower.-.-. replied...
May 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm :
Three times: When Annalise and Jack die and the part when Maysilee dies, and the ending. I would love to see some original work!

GwendolynHarisson replied...
May 9, 2013 at 8:21 pm :
I'm working on a piece now and I have major writers block so it might be a while before it posted

Willflower.-.-. replied...
May 13, 2013 at 11:47 am :
Hate that! >.<

GwendolynHarisson replied...
May 13, 2013 at 6:53 pm :
I know right?

Willflower.-.-. replied...
May 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm :
Here's an idea! Do a 75th Games! You've done 25 and 50!!!!

GwendolynHarisson replied...
May 22, 2013 at 11:45 pm :
We know what goes on in the 75 cuz that's what the book "Catching Fore" talks about lol

GwendolynHarisson replied...
Jun. 2, 2013 at 9:17 am :
*Fire lol my phone is out to get me

GwendolynHarisson replied...
Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:51 am :
My new story is up :) feel free to check it out!

jasmineweasley said...
May 5, 2013 at 1:52 pm:
I also saw that video that you put in your authors note a while back, and then I read this, and I am like "BRILLIANT!"  Good job! *thumbs-up*

jasmineweasley said...
May 4, 2013 at 7:01 pm:
OMG!  I loved this!  It was so suspenseful!  I didn't know that Seneca was Haymitch's half-brother... Or did you make that up?  Either way, I love it!  :)  Good job!   Can I print this off and keep it as a paper copy?

GwendolynHarisson replied...
May 5, 2013 at 9:46 am :
I made that part up lol. And sure! You can print it off :)

jasmineweasley replied...
May 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm :
Ahh, well, it was brilliant!  :)  And thanks!  This is honeslty the best fanfiction i have ever read! 

GwendolynHarisson replied...
May 6, 2013 at 4:00 pm :
Wow thanks! That really means a lot to me :)

jasmineweasley replied...
May 6, 2013 at 11:45 pm :
*salutes* No Problem!  I'm trying to show this to some of my friends, some of which are complete Hunger Games nuts!  XD

GwendolynHarisson replied...
May 8, 2013 at 4:20 pm :
OH MY GOSH! Panemics all the way baby!!! :D And you should totally have them read it I also have another one that I co-wrote with a friend of mine :)