When Everything Changes

Author's note: Yeah, I know I'm a little late to the party, but I only recently figured out how to summit works...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Yeah, I know I'm a little late to the party, but I only recently figured out how to summit works to this sight, so as far as this fanfic is concerned, I'm inorging s4 for now.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

Business As Usual

Jack turned into a spot in the road where it diverged into a different path. He drove until they were deep in the trees, then he parked the car. He opened up his door and got out, followed by Gwen, Rex, Martha, and Violet. As Violet got out of the car, one of her heels shrunk into a weak patch of dirt. “Gwen,” She called out, as she pulled at her leg, “A little help here!”
Gwen quickly walked over to Violet and helped her pull her leg out of the grown, reprimanding her as she did,
I do not own "White Collar" or Torchwood". Also, nothing in this chapter are spoilers for s5 of "Torchwood"
“I told you not to wear those shoes out here!”
Jack couldn’t help but laugh. He also felt sorry for Violet. After all, she was only nineteen. He remembered vanity getting in the way of common sense when he was that age. In fact, vanity sometimes got in the way of common sense for him now. He walked over to the girls, leaned down and shook the heel lose from the grown. Violet then took the shoes off and held them in her hands as she walked with the rest of the team. “So,” She asked, “What are you doing here?”
“This is obviously going to take more than one day,” Jack began, “So this seems like a nice, private spot to set up a campsite.”
Everyone looked exasperated for a moment than Martha said, “I’ll go get the tents.”
“I’ll help you,” Gwen said, fallowing her.
“Me too, I know more about camping than both of you, and I need to set these shoes somewhere anyway,” Violet said, joining the two. This left Rex alone with Jack, something Jack dreaded more than anything else in the universe, at least at the moment. Things had been awkward between them ever since Esther’s funeral when Charlotte shot Rex and he didn’t die. First they had tracked down Jilly to an apartment in –you guessed it-D.C, and a fight broke out and someone, they could never figured out who, for all they knew it could have been a group effort, so many bullets were flying, shot her dead, which wasn’t necessarily a good thing, considering now there was no one left to explain what “Plan B” was and all they could find was a bunch of papers in various languages. And since with the exception of Rex and Jack people went on dying, things went back to business as unusual. They set up another hub but not at the tower so they could keep an eye on the riff without getting blown up by any government, since no one knew where they were, the Martha joined up, convincing Mickey that this way they’d have money coming in when they couldn’t find freelance jobs and they could actually buy a house, then they got Violet when they busted that slavery ring in New York. Andy was even sometimes invited in, although he was still in his somewhat in-somewhat not in state, which was why he wasn’t with them here, in France. But things on the “Miracle” front were at a complete standstill, which did nothing to help Jack’s growing feelings for Rex. They did have a lot in common, well not a lot in common, but they certainly have the not dying thing in common, which was very tempting to Jack, since just would never lose Rex the way he lost Ianto, or Estelle for that matter, or any other lover he had ever had. So what’s the problem, one may ask. Well, the problem is that if they find what they’re looking for Rex WILL die, or at the very least might. They finally translated those papers and discovered that plan B had consisted of several artifacts and more vials of Jack’s immortal blood. They promptly destroyed those vials and tracked down and destroyed or locked away the artifacts and now all that was left was the ring, and the ring is most likely what’s keeping Rex alive.
Just then Jack heard a rustling in the bushes, and then a heavy thump. He turned around to see a man in his early or mid 30s with dark brown hair lying on the ground. He looked up and his eyes met the eyes of the entire team for a moment and then he quickly got to his feet, turned around, and ran in the other direction.
Jack pulled his gun, just in case, and ran after the stranger fallowed by the rest of the team. It was diffidently back to business as usual.
The as the team ran through the dense forest, they quickly lost the man in the forest. They looked back and forth. “Jack, who was that?” Gwen asked urgently.
“I don’t know,” Jack said, “That’s why we need to find him.”
“And what do we do if he turns out just to be a regular guy who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time,” Martha began, “Then we chased him across a forest with guns?”
“Then we’re be very apologetic,” Jack said.
The awkward silence that fallowed told Jack that if Martha’s sanerio was the case, being very apologetic wouldn’t be enough. “And we got a thing of amnesia pills back on the van.”
There were several sighs and nods, and then Rex said, “I think I see him.”
They all turned to see a black suit jacket running through the trees. They ran after the fleeing figure, and then, just as quickly as they had found him, they lost him again. “Does anybody have eyes on him?!” Jack yelled.
There was a minute of silence and then Violet said, barely audible, “I do.” And then she took off to the left.
“Violet,” Jack called out, “Violet!”
Oh yeah, it was diffidently business as usual.