Too Much To Ask For

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32 Next »

Chapter 1-What Happened?

Chapter 1
She blinked and lifted her head. Pain shot through her neck and back and her eyes watered. Looking around, she realized she was in the back of some kind of wooden cart. Where was she? She thought she could hear men arguing and horses neighing. A clank of metal by her ear made her realize she could see between the planks. Medieval looking soldiers were unpacking in what looked like the courtyard of a castle. She had the sudden feeling she wasn’t in her world anymore.
At home,
Author’s note: I made this one short so that her escape didn’t happen immediately. I didn’t want it to be too fast. Reviews are much appreciated!
she’d always been teased about her belief in fantasy. But suddenly, she believed even more. She didn’t know why, but she knew she was in danger. She knew by the way the men were acting that they were suspicious of her. She knew she wasn’t going to be treated well here. How could she escape? She’d always been good at getting out of sticky situations. And this was a really sticky situation.
How’d she even get here? What had happened to her? Why didn’t she remember anything? She couldn’t even remember her name. And that really scared her. Over the years, as she lost more and more, her name she’d always had with her. Now it was gone. Please, please, someone help me!
The doors at the back of the cart creaked and opened and she was nearly blinded as sunlight spilled into the cart. It almost seemed like dark sunlight, as if this place itself was dark. Someone stood silhouetted in the opening and reached in. They grabbed her ankle and dragged her towards them and she found herself too weak to fight back.
“Not much fight left now huh?” he snarled at her as he heaved her from the cart. She fell to the ground in a heap and someone cut the ropes tied around her ankles and shins. Then she was hauled to her feet and shoved forward, making her stumble. Glancing around, she saw that this courtyard was surrounded by a low stone hall, maybe only ten feet high. Another wall, much taller, surrounded the castle, and I knew that once inside, I’d never leave. Looking around more carefully, I saw very few archers on the wall and way too many ground tied horses.
Oh if only these people knew what she could do, they would have lined archers shoulder to shoulder on those walls. They would have assigned her a dozen guards, not just two. They would have locked the horses in their stable and chained the doors shut. They never would have untied her ankles.
A new motivation stirred inside her. She was a fighter, a survivor. She wouldn’t let them keep her here, because she knew they’d kill her. Oh, no, she would not stay. She would break free and run.
That was what she did. She ran. She got away. She started over.
It was time to start this over.