Make Waves

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

The Interview

A plume of smoke rolled off of Mr. Blacks lips, that reached out and encased my face, nearly choking me, yet leaving me with a sudden warmth. I found myself clinging to the smell suddenly, consumed by the nostalgia that came far too quickly with it.
Father seated in his chair, legs crossed, fine leather shoes knotted tightly and kept on at all times. The morning newspaper was a wall he constantly built up around him, leaving me unable to catch a single glimpse of his face. He looked up only
If you are confused, no, Mr. Black is NOT her father. His cigar smoke brings back childhood memories of her father. :)
as he tapped his cigar ashes against the silver tray. Tap. Tap. Tap. Then he resumed, back to his paper, back to his little world that consisted of only his cigar, politics, and hockey. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, allowing another cloud of smoke to smother me. What did he look like?
“You know I’ve had a million other people asking for this job.” Mr. Black remarked, breaking me away from my thoughts. I cleared my throat.
“That doesn’t surprise me,” I replied, adding, “It’s a great opportunity.” He glanced over me like I had suddenly become an insect; like he was fearing I would soon become a threat.
“What are you, sixteen?” It was sour on his tongue.
“I’m eighteen.” He smirked at my instant retaliation, and we lapsed into a burning silence that only broke when he rid his cigar of ashes. Tap. Tap. Tap.
“You do realize this is going to be tough, don’t you?”
“Yes. Frankly, I don’t care. ” He grinned again; an odd little smirk on his wrinkled and weathered face. He ran his hand through his salt and pepper hair, and then stood abruptly. He walked slowly to the door, before throwing it open an proclaiming confidently; “You’ve got the job.”

Lacer said...
May 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm:

I'm sorry to not be able to read on after page 2, but I'm afraid I have another duty calling me.

You're suspense is perfect. You make your  reader want to know what's happening. Your introductory scenes are concise, but not too short as to cut off a reader from valuable information. If the transition on the first page is vague, surround it with either hyphens or asteriks, something to distinguish it, as it was really vague.

I feel like I understand what the char... (more »)

StupidAndFearless replied...
May 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm :
I agree 100% on the sirens thing you noticed. I had to write a ten paged story for creative writing class, and I had to cut the scene following it out (That involves more sirens). Thank you very much for the review. :) I'll look over those awkward lines! Thanks a lot!