The Blue Scarf

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

The Truth

Slowly, my heavy eyelids peeked open. My head was spinning and, my limbs felt heavy. My mind was running a million miles per hour, trying to figure out where I was and how I got there.
I lifted my head cautiously and finally sat up. I looked at the dark walls around me, trying to figure out where I was. It looked like an hotel, with only a small, dim light hanging from the ceiling. I saw some cabinets inside of tiny kitchen and a large mirror to my left. I was lying on a soaking wet silk comforter, and I noticed that my clothes were also dripping wet. I franticly racked my brain of how I got here, but all I could remember was a little girl with whitish blonde hair.
I jumped up from the bed and searched for a way out.
“It’s no use trying to get out of here,” said a deep voice.
I gasped from surprise and immediately shut my mouth, cursing myself for making myself seem weak. A dark figure appeared from one of the shadows. The man had eyes so dark they looked black, light brown hair, and looked like he was in his thirties. He was dressed in all white, and he had a grave look on his face.
“Don’t kidnappers usually go for black clothing? You know the whole blend into the night thing?” I said standing up and trying to put on a brave façade, while my eyes flitted around the room for escape routes.
“Don’t worry,” he scoffed sarcastically, “I’m not the one you should be afraid of. The only reason I’m keeping you here is to insure your safety. If it wasn’t for me they would have already tracked you down.”
“Wait, who’s tracking me? And why?”
“You don’t need to worry about that right now.”
“Why won’t you tell me? And where am I?” I demanded with confidence fueled by my anger.
“All your questions will be answered soon enough. First put that on,” he said gesturing to the jacket lying next to me. I hesitated, naturally wanting to resist his commands, but I was shivering so hard that I had no choice. I slipped it over my head, half-expecting a bomb to go off, but nothing happened.
Suddenly, the mirror hanging on the wall across the room from me floated over and landed in my hands. I screamed a blood curling scream and dropped the fragile mirror. It crashed against the hard rock floor, and the shattered pieces pierced my hand, but I could care less right then about the pain because I was looking at my reflection through the shattered glass, and I could see a faint blue glow emanating from my scar.
“You didn’t have to do that now did you?” he muttered as a broom started sweeping up the mess by itself.
Suddenly, the TV hanging on the wall opposite me turned on, and a man that looked like a news reporter began talking quickly in a foreign language. The image changed and there was a picture of a girl with long, brown hair and blue-gray eyes, smiling.
I gasped. “Is that…me?”
The man froze, white with fear, and the broom slammed to the ground.
Underneath the picture I saw words that were translated into different languages. My eyes quickly found the English: Hope Evers-Height: 5’7”, Weight: 110 lbs., Age: 16, Hair: Brunette, Eyes: Blue-Gray. Wanted alive by the Guardians. Great rewards will be given to be whoever finds her.
The man quickly regained himself, and powered off the TV. He threw open the cabinets, grabbed a bag, and began to throw in mysterious objects.
“What’s going on?” I asked.
“They know about you. We have to go. Now,” he said
“Wait, I don’t-”
“I’ll explain it later. Just follow me,” the man interrupted, “And put your scarf back on.”
He grabbed his bag and rushed out the door that opened in front of him.
I hesitated, glanced down at the shattered mirror, and saw the blue glow around my neck now fading. Should I follow him? For all I know he’s some kind of crazy serial killer that made this all up. But it all seemed so real….I grabbed my scarf and rushed after him.
We walked through the long hallway until we reached another door which also flung open in front of us. We emerged into the broad daylight in a rush, and I was blinded for a few seconds. When my vision finally cleared I looked around to see what looked like a run-down train station. Rusty trains, broken pipes, and only a few people walking leisurely through the station.
Before I could ask where we were, the man dragged me forward into a nearby train. We sat in the back of the nearly empty car, and the train lunged forward. After a while of starring out the window, trying to get a grasp on reality I asked him, “What’s going on?”
“Well…” he began, “Do you remember the girls who tried to take your scarf?”
My eyes narrowed, suspiciously. “How did you know-”
“Do you remember?” he interrupted in a harsh tone, and glaring black eyes.
“Yes,” I replied, quietly.
“You did that to her. This is a little hard to understand, but you have control over water. You can move it with your mind.” He paused, waiting for me to say something, but I just stared at him with a blank face, unable to form words if I tried.
He continued, “Your scar is your power source, and your scarf acts to help harness your power into a useable form. When they took your scarf away, your powers released themselves as a defense mechanism.”
I paused. “And this is why they want me?” I said slowly, trying to keep my voice steady.
“Yes. The “they” you are speaking of are the Guardians. They are similar to a private army. They are made up of exspecially talented Controllers, and they’re purpose is to destroy all those you and all those like you so they can assume the power for themselves.”
“Controllers?”
“People who have any kind of super-human abilities, anywhere from the ability to move objects with only a though to super strength or foreseeing the future. Not all are Guardians. Some chose to respect things the way they are.”
“And you said there are others like me,” I said quietly.
The man took a deep breath, and his eyes flashed with pain. He looked out the window as he replied, “Were. There were others like you a long time ago. They stood up against the Guardians, and were killed because of it. You are the only one left now,” he said turning back to me. “The only one who can defeat the Guardians.”
I averted his gaze, not knowing what to do. I blurted out the first of the many questions that flooded into my mind, “Can’t people who practice telekinesis move Earth, Fire, Water, and Air, too?”
“No other powers can do anything that affects The Elements,” he said.
I sat back in my chair trying to understand everything that just happened. He can’t be talking about me. I can’t destroy the Guardians.
“I’m sorry. I think you have the wrong person,” I said quietly.
“There’s no way out of this, Hope. You were chosen at birth to do this, and the Guardian signal means they know about you. Even if you were to return home and pretend like this never happened, they will find you and kill you. At least try to fight back,” he said the last part almost like he was begging me.
I sat back, thinking it over.
“What makes you think I will survive when the others couldn’t?” I asked him skeptically.
“Hope,” he said looking out the window again. “Hope for a life where the Elements can be restored.”
My head was spinning with the worst headache I’ve ever had. There was so many questions I had, but I didn’t have the energy to ask them. I closed my eyes and let the exhaustion that came with the truth overwhelm me. Before I knew it, I was asleep.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

CurlyGirl17 said...
Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:08 am:
Wow, that was great! I think my favorite part of this story is how you describe your characters. This whole idea is really interesting- it caught my eye because I'm writing a superhero story, too! I'd really appreciate a comment or advice from you on the first chapter of my story, Metalligirl; you really seem to know what you're doing! :)