Reunited in the Sky

Author's note: I wrote this story while thinking about life and family. Everyone has secrets; sometimes these...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this story while thinking about life and family. Everyone has secrets; sometimes these secrets end up harming someone emotionally and mentally. However, they can also hurt physically.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next »

The Sparkling Dance

Sparkling in the morning sun, the streams of water seemed to dance to the birds' songs. I was instantly entranced by the watery ballet. I promised myself I would return to the fountain often to enjoy the peace. My curious gaze attracted the attention of the citizens; the peasants passing by began to cast strange looks at us.
Mother turned around to look at us. “Trevor! Matthew! Stop aggravating the townspeople!” she scolded. “We have just arrived here and we don't need any trouble.”
She faced the front of the automobile again. I groaned in disgust, loathing how long the transaction was taking. Mother glared at me with a wild look in her eyes. I got the message and decided to close my mouth before she smacked me.
Finally, my father walked out of the town hall with a few well-dressed men. The men walked around the building and climbed into their vehicle. Father entered our car and started the engine. We followed the mayor’s assistants down the main street of town and passed through the marketplace. Several carts of local foods released an intoxicating smell, luring me into hunger. My stomach grumbled. In fear of punishment, I did not complain I knew Mother would be furious with me.
After a few minutes of driving, the car came to a halt in front of an honorable two-story abode near the periphery of the town square. A lofty staircase circumscribed the base of the home and led to the patio area facing the setting sun. Two stout, wooden doors opened into the house. After a quick tour, I discovered the upstairs consisted of three bedrooms and a bathroom. The house even had an attic with windows that opened to the roof. The kitchen area and dining room were downstairs, as well as a sitting room and a study. A second bathroom was nestled behind the staircase leading to the second floor.
“Oh, John! I love the house! We can settle here and raise our family,” Mother said, tears twinkling on her cheeks. She clung to Father, almost refusing to release her joyous grip. Mother walked over and embraced Trevor and me in a loving embrace. “Oh, kids! We are going to have a wonderful life here. Do not forget you have a baby sister on the way,” she grinned, softly rubbing her abdomen.
Father thanked the mayor's assistants and sent them back to the town hall. I desired to travel back to the fountain and observe the water.
“Father?” I asked. “May I walk to the fountain in the town square? I want to watch the fountain.”
Father rubbed his chin in thought. “Do you remember how to get there?” he inquired.
“Yes, Father, I remember. I also remember the path we took to get here. I won't stay long, I promise.”
After a minute of deep consideration, he finally said yes. I told Mother where I was going and stepped out the door to begin my adventure. I climbed down the stairs and started walking down the crowded streets of Safe Haven. The citizens stared at me with curiosity. I guessed they observed every newcomer for the first few days.

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

ajinks33This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
How long did it take you to write this?