Reunited in the Sky

Author's note: I wrote this story while thinking about life and family. Everyone has secrets; sometimes these...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this story while thinking about life and family. Everyone has secrets; sometimes these secrets end up harming someone emotionally and mentally. However, they can also hurt physically.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 19 20 21

Foolish Revelry

The old woman stretched her arms out wide. She had spent hours reading Matthew's story. The most interesting character in his story was the elderly woman in the alley. She was entranced by the woman's strange personality. After reading Matthew's story, she realized he had been killed by a gaseous explosion. Surprisingly enough, the shop directly across the street from Matthew's corpse was flattened. Black streaks surrounded the area, validating his story.
The elderly woman stood again and walked over to a neighboring building with a tin roof. She quickly assessed the structure and decides she would spend the night in the small, interior room. Remembering the old woman's song in Matthew's story, the elderly woman burst into joyous song.
“Flesh to ashes, bones cracked by flame. Alas, it appears life will never be the same. Terror from the sky. From the heavens, fire shall fly. Screams echo from all around. Due ash, all shall drown. Prepare ye foolish, ye sinners alive! All will die . . . all but I.”
After finishing her song, the elderly woman laughed. Her laugh boomed through the empty streets. A strong gust of wind blew across the ruins. The tin sheets covering the building the old woman had chosen to sleep in began to rattle with an ominous rhythm.
Suddenly, one of the sheets of heavy tin disconnected from the roof. The sheet slid of and slammed into the woman, pinning her to the cold, ashy street. Blood seeped through her thick cloak and began to pool beside her. Gasps escaped her lips as she struggled against the crushing weight. She reached upwards in search of aid, but no one helped her. Her frail arm slowly descended before settling in the puddle of blood. The wind began to whisper through the tombs along the streets, hoping for someone to reply. The only answer the wind received was the lonely echo of itself.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 19 20 21

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

ajinks33This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
How long did it take you to write this?