Reunited in the Sky

Author's note: I wrote this story while thinking about life and family. Everyone has secrets; sometimes these...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this story while thinking about life and family. Everyone has secrets; sometimes these secrets end up harming someone emotionally and mentally. However, they can also hurt physically.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 18 19 20 21 Next »

Kiss of Death

When I awaken, I smell ash. The smoky sky instantly validates that yesterday was real. I can no longer feel the warm embrace of Father and Mother. I cannot play with Lilly or Trevor. My home harbors too many terrible memories to return there. I do not know where I will go. Hiking through the mountains would be a death sentence. If I stay in the town, the Holy Knights will likely find me and torture me for days before slowly murdering me.
I remember seeing the mayor depart for his bunker before the attack. Exhausted, I stand up and face the cliffs in the distance. I decide that the idea is too outlandish. The bunker may not even exist! I slump down against the filthy fountain, my faith crushed. What am I going to do, I scream in my mind. I curl up in the fetal position, hoping sleep can transport me back to my childhood.
When daylight breaks, I barely have enough energy to stand. Hope no longer exists; I finally accept what has happened. With my last remaining strength, I face the dilapidated shop. I angrily sling my arm, launching the rock and all of my memories into the rubble. The rock clattered against the charred walls of the shop and finally fell into a shallow hole. A low hissing sound crept from the depths of the hole and reverberated in my soul. Silence encompasses me and I surprisingly find peace.
I know I will soon die. The hissing sound grows louder and I know it is a broken gas main. Once the gas reaches the fire, I will be dead. The explosion will be my downfall. I would rather it be this way. At least, the Holy Knights won't get the last laugh. I have closed my eyes now. I somehow feel disconnected from my body. My body feels lighter than a feather. I am free of all worry and fear. All of my pain is gone and I am going to be reunited with my family.

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

ajinks33 said...
May 7, 2013 at 5:23 pm:
How long did it take you to write this?