Land of dark lords | Teen Ink

Land of dark lords

February 6, 2012
By Paige Allison SILVER, Prairie Village, Kansas
More by this author
Paige Allison SILVER, Prairie Village, Kansas
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Once three magical beings ruled the medieval era, Haom the Mythical, Mithos the ruthless, and, their leader, Dranon the Intelligent. They lived in Entath, an island so big as not to be measured. It was all a lush forest with the occasional clearing. But one clearing was filled by the Castle of the Doomed. It was said that whoever went there never come back, and, if you got close enough, then you could hear the screams of a thousand humans ringing in your ears like an incurable madness. But if you do not believe in such lore, then put this book down now.
It was a cold autumn day; Lone sat Tieth on the mud roof of his hut. He sat there day after day looking for an adventure, but to no avail. He looked at the Castle that lay yonder and wondered if he would ever venture there. Then his father came out of the hut. “You boy! Stop thy dreams, can’t you see that all ridicule you for it?” the boy flinched at being yelled at; it was unlike his father to do so. He wanted to ask what was wrong but twas not his place. Tieth went inside and looked for the sweep, he peered into the mud doorway and saw the pile of hay and filth that was his bed, and the grand wooden headboard that was connected to his father’s. Then he caught sight of a handle under a Scottish tapestry that had been woven by his father’s hand when he had lived there, it depicted a lion with its claws to the heavens and a phrase that said “touch not the cat but a glove” it was the sign of the Macintosh clan. He went to grab it when something whispered to him. “Leave… go to the Sanctuary…” he heard it echo and it was gone. He soon decided it wasn’t a big deal. Then he went about sweeping the floor of the hut in a hurry so he could go finish all his chores and go lounge in the sun once more.

“Haom? Can you come here please?” said Mithos.
“Brother what ails you to call the meeting so quickly? Under a full moon none the less.” Said Haom in an irritated tone.
“We need to deal with Dranon soon his power is strong, yet our powers are not coming as easily.” Mithos said.
Haom pondered this a moment then responded “well in the assassin trade, there are few that could get the job done. Well it depends… if we wanted it to look like murder then we shall hire one from Kul Elna, if we want it done so in stealth I suggest someone from Enrion.” He pulled a map from his cloak and looked at it thoughtfully. Mithos looked from him to the map in a way of haste. “Brother can you not brew a potion? Surely none would suspect-“Haom cut him off “no, you are correct that no one would suspect a brew of Death itself. But I decline, that would weigh heavily on my storage of herbs.” He looked back into the distance where the castle lay waiting for the brothers to return home. Mithos looked on as well. Suddenly Haom spoke “surely it would be wise to return to the castle. We wouldn’t want to worry anyone.” After saying this he ventured into the dark and headed towards the castle.
Teith lay asleep on his bed, no dreams to disturb his slumber. Then, suddenly, there was a crash in the stable! He woke only a little and then went to check. He walked in and let out a gasp of horror when he saw a cloaked figure sucking the blood from one of their prized horses. “Stop!” he yelled. The thing looked up in a glance and Tieth was pushed away with great force he looked back at the shadow and saw it had slanted black eyes that glared white in the moonlight. He shrieked and retreated back to his room. He sat in his bed shaking and shivering, waiting for the pathetic mewling of the horse to get out of his head. Then he heard another crashing and looked out the window to see the figure flying away, its black cloak billowing in the breeze.
Haom held out his arm for a black monstrosity to land on it and then he wiped the blood from its mouth. “Are you filled precious?” the thing looked at him with cold black eyes and then flicked out a tongue and licked where the blood had been splattered and flew to a nearby tree that had a bundle of leaves in it and lay there. Haom looked on fondly and went back inside. Dranon sat near the foot of his bed. “B-b-brother… what is your business here?” he said, surprised. The brother looked at him contently. “Haom, you have gone behind my back for the last time.” Then as he was speaking he drew his hand out of his cloth and held it out to his brother. “Bursdi!” he yelled. All that was left of Haom was a pile of ash and there was a scorch mark on the floor. “Well that’s over with.” Dranon said and walked out at a leisurely pace.
He lay there terrified as he heard the noise of it leaving and his father awakening. “Tieth! What was that?” he said, as he said it Tieth saw fear in his eyes. It surprised him because there was usually an unearthly confidence there but now there was terror, cold and raw. “Father! I saw a hooded figure and it was sucking the blood from a horse… I’m sorry I tried to stop it and it knocked me back and then I ran away.” He said while looked at his feet. His father looked on past him and saw the rosy dawn peeking over the mountains. He then raised his hand to stop Tieth from talking and walked past him. “Father? Where are you going?” he looked on as he walked into the light and then he heard a scream. He ran out and saw his father being attacked by a wolf and more on the way. Tieth ran to his father’s aid but alas, it was too late. He looked for help and saw no one until a mysterious man clothed in red and silk came and put a hand on his shoulder. As soon as he came the wolves disbanded with their tales tucked between their legs. “It is ok Tieth, I am here to help. My name is Mithos. I’ve come to take you to the castle come.” The man named Mithos said in a soothing voice. He looked into the young boy’s eyes and then gently guided him to the foreboding fortress.
“The boy is not a threat to us Dranon. He is an asset, a valuable one at that.” Mithos said stubbornly to Dranon. “Well I think that he is a potential threat. I am not sure yet. But if his loyalties lie with us then he shall stay. If not, then he dies.” Mithos turned around and looked at the door to the young boy’s room. “He has no loyalties! His father is dead and his mother is gone. He is a young boy, we can persuade him to grow with our power.” Dranon nodded and then turned away. “Ok, but if the boy gets any ideas of leadership… then we will kill him. But for now, do with him as you see fit.” And with that, he walked off.
Tieth sat sulking on his bed. His father lying in the woods dead and his mother gone to another man’s bed. “Maybe it is as it should be. The Fates are never wrong. Are they? Hath fate befallen me in such a way that I will be alone for eternity?” he thought with a shudder. There was then a knock at his chamber door.
“Tieth?” said a muffled voice. “Tieth are you there? I have brought you fresh greens from the village.” Another knock. “I shall just leave them out here.” And footsteps receded into the castle corridors. He got up and went to the door and opened it a crack and peered out into the empty hall. He saw nothing but some food on the ground with a pair of utensils. He lent down to pick it up and retreated to his room to eat.
Mithos and Dranon sat at the long Myne dining table eating and occasionally looking up at one another when Dranon broke the silence.
“Mithos did the boy answer when you knocked?” he said, not looking from his food. “No, but I heard him stirring not long after. But you can’t expect him to come out after but an hour. He has just lost his father and now is alone, he is scared, and I can see it in his eyes.”
“Well he best get over his fear if he is to be the next mage of the land. Haom’s tragic death shocked all of us…” Dranon said with a downcast look. “Yes it did brother, but I have my suspicions on which the murderer was.” Dranon’s eyes widened, but other than that he gave no sign that he was surprised. “Oh really?”
“Yes,” Mithos said “I think I was one of the shady assassins he was so comfortable with. They can’t help it though, ‘tis their nature.”
“Of course. An assassin.” Dranon said with an unusual glee. Though Mithos was too deep in thought to notice.
After eating a hearty meal Tieth went to the window and saw a stable. Riding was always one of his favorite things to do so he went out into the hall and down into the courtyard, where the stables were, and peeked in. what he saw amazed and terrified him all at the same time. He saw pegisi, dragon eggs, and even a griffon! But not one horse. The griffon turned to him and he saw that it had been sitting on an egg. “Hey… girl.” He said in a somewhat soothing voice. The griffon walked over slowly at first then, unexpectedly, it leapt over next to him and looked him in the eyes. Tieth then grabbed its mane and jumped onto it. The monster let out a bellow and flew into the sky through the wooden ceiling. What a wonder it was to fly, Tieth felt he could do anything in the world but then, a sickly feeling in his stomach, and he fell. He didn’t know how it had happened but he was falling! Twisting and twirling, his body nothing to the element of air. Then he landed with a thud. “Surely I am not on ground?” he thought, “for if I was then I would most surely be dead.” He looked down and saw that he was on the griffon’s back once more. The pair landed to the ground and he got off. “Whoa… that was…” Tieth wasn’t sure what to say but he felt sick.
Dranon sat in his chamber on his bed, trying to establish contact with the spirit world. He got the poltergeist he was looking for.
“Hello? Who hath summoned me to the mortal world?” said the ghost. Dranon was surprised he’d gotten him; he wasn’t much of the magus. “It is I, Dranon Grandolf.” The spirit’s voice came bellowing in “why hath thou bid me here?”
“I only look for sanctuary brother Haom. I wish I had not killed you.” He said with a grimace on his face. “Dranon? You are the one that has sent me to Hades’ door?”
“Yes, and for that I am sorry. I used your death to set an example and for that I am sorry.”
“I cannot say that all is forgiven. But I now know the truth and for that I thank you. I bid thee well in your upcoming trials brother. Goodbye.” the apparition of Haom then vanished. Leaving Dranon with tears wetting his eyes.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.