Collection of Short Stories | Teen Ink

Collection of Short Stories

October 30, 2011
By History_lives PLATINUM, Newton, North Carolina
More by this author
History_lives PLATINUM, Newton, North Carolina
32 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What exactly does freedom mean if I'm not allowed to be as twisted as I wanna be?"


Author's note: Different thoughts that come to mind

It was all fake, every single horror movie. There is no way anything like this could happen in real life, thought Adolf as he finished watching yet another horror movie, It’s all fake from the blood to the burning bodies. They only put ‘Based on a True Story’ on the DVD so people would buy them. He scoffed as he jumped off of the couch, yawning and stretching. He glanced at his watch, noting it was well past midnight, near two in the morning. He walked off to the kitchen, still feeling wide awake. Nothing better to do in summer, I suppose. Watching movies by night and playing around on the computer and sleeping by day. I’ve come my own lazy, teen vampire. He laughed at his own joke, rummaging into the fridge for a soda. He tossed the can in the rycling bin and was about to walk back into the living room when he felt his phone vibrate. He glanced at the name, grinning. “Excelent time, Paige,” he said, answering the phone, “I was just becoming bored.” He heard the sweet laughter of his bestfriend, hearing the wind in the background. She must be on that damn motorcyle of hers. I told her not to ride it in the dark, some cop might catch her or worst she’ll get hurt. “Don’t I always have good timeing, Adolf? Are you still watching those damn horror movies? Everyone knows how much you complain about them being fake!” she said, her voice sweet as the morning sunrise. He laughed, walking into his room and sitting down on the cot he called a bed. “But they are! There’s nothing about this real!” He heard her curse lightly and a sharp turn, still smiling. “Then let me show you what is real.” He stood up, feeling confused. “Fine then, what do you got to show me, little girl?” He chuckled, knowing how much his taunt bothered her. He heard her take a sharp breathe as he heard the screech of a stop. “There is nothing about me little! Something that will send a thrill through that body and mind of yours. Something you’ll enjoy and might change your mind.” He was listening close, fully into what she was saying. “Then show me it. When will you come? Or do I have to meet you again somewhere.” She laughed again, making him smile. “I’m already here.” She hung up the phone and he looked out of his window, seeing Paige on the streets below. She was on her sleek, black motorcycle. He smiled, placing his phone into his bed. He changed from the baggy white pajama pants and a baggy white tanktop to his tighter black jeans and a black tanktop. He grabbed his skully from his bed and pulled it on, quickly grabbing his backpack. We always agreed to wear black on our nightly adventures. It made it harder for anyone to see us and we were just a blur on her motorcycle. He pulled it on, grabbing his cellphone and flew down the stairs. He ran out of the door and to Paige, pulling himself on the motorcycle. She crammed a helmet on his head, laughing at him.

“What did you bring this time in that backpack of yours?” she asked as they flew down an empty road. Her usal, blonde hair was tied into a tight bun, nearly hiding it from view under the helmet. Her usal ‘loud’ outfits were replaced by black pants and a black shirt that had a pair of green, cat-like eyes on it. “The usal. The things you always tell me to bring: flashlight, extra battaries, rope, and a crowbar,” he said, his face pressed into her shirt. He could barly hear her laugh as the wind ripped around them. “You do manage to listen to someone.” He ignored her taunt, rolling his eyes. Always the smart ass she is, he thought with a grin, but she’s my best friend I can’t live without her. She’s kept me out of trouble from teachers to parents. She’s kept my sane when we lost our friend, Joe in a horrible car accident to the brutal unsolved murder of my little sister. Yeah, I can’t live without her. He smiled faintly, pushing thoughts away. “Do you care to tell me why you got me out of my house for?” He looked around him, seeing that they were starting to drive out of the city, into the country. We’ve gone as far as another state in one night, only to be back by the next day. It’s no problem as Paige always can get free gas with some card her father gave her and our parents don’t mind. As long as we have our cellphones and they think we are safe. “No, my dear friend. You will just have to wait for one. It’s worth it.” He sighed, knowing he would never get a straight answer out of her. “Of course my dear, of course.”

They rode deep into the country, where Adolf could begin to smell the country air. Beats the smell of the city. They had turned down a winding, long rough path that left Adolf clinging to Paige. “You seem to know where you are going,” he said, biting his tongue. The path was becoming rougher, making the bike vibrate as she started to speed. “Of course I do, silly. Some old lady told me about this place.” And you listened to her? he thought with a wild yawn. They had slowed down, coming up to a large house. It was made up of old, dark wood that looked damaged beyond repair. It used to look Gothic, with old architecture. There were even a few creepy gargoyales that hung on the rafters. “This looks awesome!” he yelled as Paige took the helmet from him, “But why are we here?” He watched as she stowed her keys in his backpack and pulled out the flashlight and crowbar. “To explore it, of course silly. Now come on,” she said, smiling. She sounded nervous as they climbed through the overgrown yard and towards the front of the house.

“Wouldn’t anybody live here?” he asked as they reached the frontsteps. They were uneven and rickety, making it unsafe to stand on one for long. The porch wasn't in any better condition though it did have an old rotten rug near the door and a few old wooden rocking chairs. The windows were on either side seemed to be in better condition besides the glass was cracked. “No. No one has lived here for years, Adolf. This is a very old mansion. Some even say its haunted,” she replied, turning on the flashlight. She shined it through the window, trying to see past the dust. “And you want to test that out, huh?” He tried to peer through the other window, making out nothing through the dirt and dust. “Yes, I do. Don’t you?” He chuckled, knowing she was testing him. “Yes. I do, Paige.” She smiled as he went to the front door. It looked like it was about to giveway and fall on them. “I bet you it’s locked,” she said going up to it, “It would make sense.” She gaped as she turned the handle and it flew open. “I guess not,” he said walking in front of her and going in. Once she was inside with him, the door swung itself shut and made a soft, clicking noise. They knew by that sound, that the door had locked them from the outside in. “Well I guess we won’t be leaving that way,” laughed Adolf, nervously. Paige smiled a little as she gripped the crowbar tighter. She shined the light around saying, “I suppose we better explore then. Maybe it’ll unlock itself by then…” She seemed unsure of herself and her words.

She shined the light around the room, looking around. There was a large staircase that seemed to be able to just hold it together and a padded chair in the corner. The room was dusty and dirty, holding barly anything in it. “Hey!” called Adolf, making her jump softly, “I think I found a lightswitch.” Paige turned to him, shining the light on some switch near another jarred door. “Wait Adolf don’t-” but it was too late, he already flipped the switch. The chandeler blinked a few times, the light bright enough to see by. The lights flickered on and off for a few seconds before blowing out, making it darker then before. Adolf sighed, going to Paige. “I said don’t,” she mummbled, handing him the flashlight. He shined it near the jarred door, seeing that a light appeared in there. “I know, but what’s in there?” She looked at where the light was, shugging her shoulders. She seemed too busy looking at some picture on the wall that wasn't there before. She took the crowbar and gently tapped it, still looking at the anchient face. Adolf was too busy trying to look into the other room to notice that the air had turned colder, making them shiver. Paige’s scream knocked him out of his trance as she ran into him, making them tumble into the other room.

Adolf laid back, holding Paige to him. The flashlight and crowbar flew from their hands, scattering around the room. Paige seemed to be trembling ontop of him. “You know girls usally trembled on me after we were done?” he siad, laughing as she glared at him. She sat up quickly, standing over him. “Shut up, you idiot! That picture back there moved!” she snarled, pulling him up. He shook his head, noticing how dim the lights were in here. “Pictures don’t move, Paige. Everyone knows that.” She stomped her foot, surpising him. “Well that one did! You can go check it out! It moved!” He looked past her at the wall she was at before, but nothing was there. “Paige, my dear there is nothing there.” She turned around, staring at the empty, dark room. “But…there was-there was a picture. I know it.” He smiled, ruffling her bun. “Well now there isn’t.” She glared at him, but he ignored it, looking around the room. The walls and floor seemed to be made up of cream color tiles. A single bulb was the only light in the room, hanging over an old table and chairs. The counters were a dark brown color, having nothing on them. There was a window over the sink, having an old cutain over it. Behind the table was a large cabnet that seemed threatening. “What’s on the tiles?” asked Paige, drawing his attention from skimming the room. He looked down, seeing the rusty color covering most of the tiles. “I don’t know. I didn’t see that before. I guess because I was quickly looking,” he replied, going to the sink. He found a cup and a rusty butcher-knife in a cabnit. He looked at Paige, seeing she found the flashlight and crowbar. She was looking at the cabinet, ignoring that the fact the bulb was starting to swing. He turned away from it, turning the sink on. He let out a scream as dark color liquid hit him square in the face and chest, driving him back. He dropped the cup, having it shatter on the floor as the sink seemd to turn itself off. This isn’t funny. What the hell is starting to go on? It’s like every horror movie put together to scare us. It’s not working. Someones trying to scare us. He turned to Paige, staring at her with wide eyes. “Well, I think we know what the stains on that butcher knife and the tiles are.”-she stared at him with a pale face-“And Adolf, that’s not backup sweage or mud.” He tried not to think of it as he wiped off what he could. Blood. She means blood, said a small voice in the back of his mind. He tried to ignore that thought as he took his shirt off and wiped his face, throwing it in his bag in disgust. “Stop making such a mess, Adolf and help me here. There’s something in this thing,” she hissed as he looked up, sliping that bag back on. She had the flashlight tucked into her belt and the crowbar wedged into the door. He grabbed it with her and together they pulled the door off of the henges, falling backwards

This time it was Adolf’s turn to scream as a skull rolled ontop of him. He quickly got up, pulling Paige with him. The skull was definitly human with cracks in it. Paige picked it up with the edge of the crowbar, inspecting it despite she was white with fear. “This poor victim was defiantly beaten to death,” she muttered, placing it on the table. She went to pick it up, but Adolf slapped her hands away. “Hell no, Paige. We are not keeping that muchless touching it. Come on, I’ve had enough of this house. We are finding a way out,” he growled, taking the crowbar from her. He grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her to the front door. “Adolf, we both know that won’t open.” She was saying this because he was trying to pull it open, but the door remained shut. Half angry and half afraid he took the crowbar and slammed it into the window to the right of the door. The glass shattered and just as quickly as it broke, it quickly repaired itself again. “What the hell!” he yelled, trying to pull the crowbar out of the window. It staid put, stuck in there. He sighed angrily and was about to punch the window when Paige grabbed his arm. “Don’t! You’re hand will get stuck in there too!” He turned around, walking away from the window before he punched it. He was frusterated at the house, the stupid house that trapped them in and holding some murderous mystery to it and afraid, afraid of this damn house. Paige gripped his hand gently, showing him that she was afraid. “Come on, Paige. Let’s see what this damn house has upstairs. With luck…they’ll be a way out.”

Together they climbed the stairs and reached the second story. The air was getting colder, making them tense. Adolf was tired and confused, just wanting to go home by now. There were three more rooms with an attic’s door above them. “Let’s check out the master’s bedroom,” said Paige softly. The door was closed tightly, locked. Adolf rammed it and it gave way, pushing a dresser that blocked it. “Why would someone want to block the door?” he asked, standing up. Paige didn’t answer, much less move. The flashlight was shined on something in the room. “Paige what’s…”-he gapped, his face draining of any color-“Oh God! We have to get out of here!” He quickly pulled Paige away, slamming the door shut. They heard a small thump and he shuddered at what it could mean. He closed his eyes, the image burned in his brain. A women, a young beautiful women was hung from the ceiling, her body decaying. The words He did it were written in blood. We have to get out of here, he thought as he dragged Paige into the bathroom. The bathroom was disguting. It was covered in blood and the tub was full of it. The only place left clean was the toilet. Hand prints were on the mirror and the window was shattered. Luckily for them, the lights still worked. Adolf flipped them on, looking at Paig’s pale face. “This is going to be stupid, Paige, but stay in here. You can’t handle anymore of this. I’m going to see what’s in the other room then come back for you. Hopefully they’ll be a way out.” She stared at him for a second as he pulled himself up and tried to quickly exit the bathroom. She grabbed his arm and pulled him to her, kissing his lips. “I don’t know what’s going on here Adolf and I made a mistake of bringing you. But I love you. Please, be safe.” He kissed her back, a bit stunned, but pleased. “I will be, Paige. Now stay here and please. Be careful. If anything happens, yell for me.” She sat back down, slightly dazed.

Adolf ran to the other room, holding the flashlight like a weapon. He threw open the door, expecting there to be someone in the room. No one was there. The room must’ve been a child’s room because it was full of toys and a crib. He flicked the lightswitch, relieved that it worked. This must be the only room that isn’t bloody or have something dead in it. He slowly walked around it, still holding the flashlight like a weapon. The crib and the walls were pure white and falling apart. The toys were broken and thrown around the room. He walked to the crib, seeing a foot sticking out under the covers. He threw the covers off, expecting a body to be there, but it was only a doll. The doll was broken and it’s face was smashed in. Over the chest was the words, Dead Baby. Shivering, Adolf threw it down and walked away. He looked at the walls, seeing how they were covered in pictures of a young, beautiful women and a baby. There were a few of a man, but he seemed distance. He was staring at a picture of a child’s drawing when he felt a presence behind him, making the room dead cold. He turned around, finding no one there. He jumped when he heard a high pitch scream, a shrill that drove him to tremble. He ran out of the room and charged into the bathroom, gasping at the sight. The mirror was shattered, as if someone had rammed their head against it and fresh blood was splattered everywhere. Paige. With a horrfying gasp he threw open the curtains to the tub and found Paige laying in it, headfirst. He pulled her body out of the tub, holding her to him. She was dead and nothing could bring her back. Her throat was slit by something sharp, leaving the blood on Adolf’s chest. He was trembling and made a soft gasping sound. F*** this house, f*** these ghost! I will kill whoever killed Paige! He gently set her down and stood up, gripping the flashlight.

A noise was heard in the attic, as if someone had steped too hard. Taking up the flashlight in his hands, Adolf quickly get up. He looked at Paige’s body one last time before he stepped out of the bathroom. I swear to God that I will kill this bastard. Or die trying. He pulled down the attic’s door and climbed up the stairs. The attic was dark, pitch black dark. He shined his light around, seeing that it was completely empty. But I swore I heard something. He walked to the little window, seeing Paige’s motorcycle out in the distance. There was a clicker of a light behind him before his head erupted in pain and he collapsed on the floorboards, unconscious.

He groaned, his head pounding. His vision was blurry, a strong light shined in his eyes. He was able to make out a figure out of the light, out of his distance. He groaned, reaching up to trying to rub his head, but his hands and ankles were bound by rope. “What the hell…?” he mummbled, his voice thick. He blinked again, shaking his head, but soon stopped due to the headache. He looked at the figure again, seeing the person was closer. He was broad shouldered, tan skin. Muscles ripping at his arms. Shaved head. Alchoal, I smell alchoal. He blinked again, clearing his vision again. He noticed he was in the attic, seeing the man before him again. “Where am I?” he asked the figure. “Attic. Where else?” he said, kneeling before the guy, “So you think you can sneak into my house and leave? No, no, no. You and that girl!” Girl? What girl? He was silent for a moment before it hit him, “Paige! You killed Paige!” The sorrow and horror of it all struck him in the gut, making him cringe. “Why yes I did. The boy is smart, yes he is. She found out my secret! And so did you! I can’t let that out. I can’t let that free.” He was mutering to himself, repeating the samething over and over. Adolf shook his head, trying to undo the bonds. “What secret? I didn’t do anything. I didn't discover anything.” The figure laughed, his laugh making Adolf tremble. “You found out I killed them, my family. But they had to die, you see? They were driving me insane, insane, yes! They kept taking, taking. Always taking. They wouldn’t let me go!” “You! You killed that poor women and hung her. And the child…?” The man looked at him, meeting his eyes. “Whose blood do you think kills that tub, boy? Whose skull do you think is in that cabnet that you two found?” He tried to shake the image from his mind, but it wasn't workng. He couldn’t say anything else, his mind blank. “So you think horror movies aren’t real? That they are just myths to scare little people like you?” he asked Adolf, shaking a dirty finger in his face. Adolf nodded, his throat tight. “Y-yes. Just business.” The man laughed deeply, shaking his head. “Well then I’ll show you a real horror movie. Something that’ll change your mind.” The man laughed again, pulling an bloodied ax from behind his back. He looked at Adolf, smiling a toothless smile. “No, no its suppose to be fake. It isn’t suppose to be real…”

It was dark and cold. Evan felt that as he opened his door. He could heard thunder in the background. The thunder shook the house and nearly drove him mad as the lightening flashing in the windows. He winced and ran out of his room.The door slammed close behind him and he winced at the echoed sound. He waited until the sound left the halls. He still stood there in silicone, his body trembling. When all was calm and well he slowly started to move down the hall.

His footsteps were light and his movement silent as he tried to walk away from the walls. To keep away from the monsters in the dark, he thought. He kept walking in the middle, a light flashing on the end of hallway. The walls trembled and shook, a moan falling throughout the house. He struggled to stand, avoiding the walls. He ran down the hall, avoiding the falling pictures.

A silver glint appeared before him and he manged to duck under the blades. The monsters are real, he thought. He scoured up and down the floor as it shook. Oh please just let me reach the light! He screamed in his mind. His screams pierced the silent room as he was thrown forward and into the floor. It fell through and he was falling into darkness. Evan woke up with a gasp, his door opening. His father came in saying, “Evan get up. Time to tame those monsters.”

“Hey!” said a voice from behind me. I didn't sit up, just glancing behind me. Oh, he’s cute. I sat up, to get a better look of him. He was not cute, but sexy. Dark tan skin, shoulder-length thick black hair, and dark green emerald eyes. He smiled at me, bright white teeth. I knew what he saw of me before I sat up. Black hair, a river flow of it down my back, pale skin, and bright violet eyes. He leaned against the bar of the bench, looking at me. “Hey,” I said with a quick smile. I pulled a brush out of my backpack on the ground and ran it through my hair. I still looked at him, watching him. “What are you doing here?” he said, softly. His voice was roughly pleasant and sent a tingle down my spine. He gestured around him and I smiled. I was in a historic area, laying down on a bench. “I was watching the stars and the full moon. Damn clouds covered them up,” I said, putting my brush away. He looked up with a quick smile and shrugged. He sat beside me quickly, still smiling.


I shrugged and moved over to give him room. He felt warm and I shivered again. “So why are you talking to me?” I asked honestly. He shrugged and smiled, saying, “I wanted to ask you something.” A shadow of movement in the trees caught my attention. It was a man wearing a black fedora and a leather trench coat. He was glancing at over at us, his body tense. The guy looked back at me, his eyes flashing to the man. “And what was that, boy?” The man was slowly walking to us, his body even more tense. “Would you, my pretty lady have a going with me? As if…a date?” I had to chuckle at his braveness. None have asked me out before and here this man comes out of nowhere and he asks me out. I must say yes for his braveness.


“I wouldn't go out with him if I were you, girl,” said a sharp voice from beside them. I looked up, seeing that man. His face was covered with the shadows of his fedora and the collar of his trench coat. I glared at him with a snarl and the guy chuckled softly. “And why wouldn’t I?” I said, my voice sharp. The guy beside me chuckled and rubbed my leg gently calming me. “He’s a monster. One of myth.” The guy beside me shook his head and I sighed. “Oh really now? Why foretell me?” The guy beside me chuckled and squeezed my knee. “I have a name, you know?” he said, flashing his teeth again. The man standing over us looked at me, still speaking of me, “Yes you do, boy. Kimpa is his name. He is a monster, a lupus.” I laughed now, laughing hard. “You call Kimpa a-a wolf? What are you? Nothing but a freak that comes up to me to tell me not to date him? I don’t even know you!” I continued to laugh, but my anger showed. Kimpa smiled at me, but glared at the man.


The man made the mistake of grabbing my arm tightly, enough to bruise. Kimpa snarled and jumped up as the man pulled me to him. I didn’t struggle, but waited for my time to strike. I thought Kimpa knew that as he glared at the man. I was sure he could see the glint in my eyes and the way my body posture was held. “Let-her-go,” he snarled each word. His eyes were now on the man who was laughing. “Do you even know her name?” Kimpa snarled again and I glanced up at the sky. The clouds were starting to move, showing the moon. “I know her, Mason. Her name is of the beautiful of them: Kiki.” Kimpa still circled us, his eyes on Mason. “Now mam, I suggest you come with me and I will explain everything. You do not need to be with a monster.” I shrugged as Kimpa snarled again. He gripped Masons’s shoulder tightly.


Within a flash of movement I found myself against the other side of the bench and Mason on the ground. Kimpa was hunched over him, blood trailing on the ground. I watched them struggle, Mason losing. I watched them with a sick smile, finding myself not even caring if this Mason-guy lived or died. Kimpa slowly stood up, his body trembling from heavy self-control. He smiled at me and quickly knelt down before me. “Kiki,” he growled softly, taking my hands in his own. He kissed my lips and we both smiled. I glanced at Mason, watching him struggle to look at me. “A monster. You’re with a monster,” he gasped. His eyes closed for the last time, monster the last words on his lips.


I awoke up from my dream of the memory with a gasp and smiled. I turned in the bed to wrap my arms around that very monster I kissed that night so long ago.

I was running now, the cool night air whipping around my body. The full moon was my only light and I knew it was late at night. My body was weak and wounded quite badly, but I had to gain as much distance as I could. What was I running from? Myself…and them.

Close to dawn, I had wondered off the path and collapsed in the mud inside the forest. My dreams were of memories… An argument between me and my father had set everything off. He hated me and how I lived, but I was an adult now and he couldn’t control me. In fact he hated how many people lived in this town, he just wanted control.. I lived in silence followed that week. I only saw him when I went ot work in the farm and nowhere else. A few days later we heard news of raids around us, fearing our town will be next…

And we were… I thought, opening my eyes. Tears now dried, laced my cheeks. It was late at night and time to move on. I had to move on to Simble, as me and my brother called this vast field. I had to see who survived. I limed to a nearby river and drank in the water. I ignored my looks and washed what blood and dirt off as I could. I tended to my wounds as best as I could, but it wasn’t as good as any Healer.


I found fresh fruit to eat and it settled my stomach. I started back on the path, walking now. I found there was no use to run since I could barley muster enough energy to walk. My body still hurt from everything, but I feared they would be close to me. I could keep them away, but never the memories…


The raid did come. Men staid behind while women and children escaped. When they attacked, I fought and killed my way to my father’s house. I knew his ways and he would force my brother to stay and fight. He was only 12, dammit, only 12! He couldn’t face men like this! These strong, brutal men that weren't afraid to kill women much less children. The raid was strong, with only men that we’ve never seen of. Strangely, they only came through the secret areas only the citizens knew of.


Arriving at my home, I found many men dead around me. Men of our city. I went into the back of the house, seeing my father in the kitchen, talking to the raiders. They didn’t fight him, they didn't fear him, but in fact they looked up to him. He was preaching to them, telling them of our weaknesses! He was the one that planned this! Quite enraged now, I was ready to charge in and kill him-until I saw he held my brother…


That crossed the line. I snarled, snapping out of memories. It was early in the morning and a storm brewed ahead. I could still walk on, wanting to gain distance. They wouldn’t go on and brace this storm, but I would. I feared nothing, not anymore…


The storm raged on, drenching my clothing. When I thought I couldn't go on anymore I wondered off the path and into a hallow cave. I curled up as I tried to savor as much warmth as I could, drifting off into sleep…


My anger was high as I ran in. It controlled me as I cut my brother loose. He was completely stunned for a second, but caught the blade I threw at him. He ran out and I knew he would be safe, that I would see him soon. I turned my weapon on my father and as quick as I could, I plunged it into his stomach. He died a painful death that he deserved. He barley mustered any of the pain all of us felt that day. His men were on me that second, calling for my blood. I attacked and killed my way out as fast as I could.


I ran out of the house, wounded and hurt. This town was now dead. They overran us… I barley managed to escape before they were on me again. I ran from that town, that place. I couldn't find my brother and only hoped he was safe… That night… I lost my home, my city, my name.


It was several nights later did I know they were no longer following me. They gave up on me, deciding I wasn’t worth the chase. I didn’t dare relax as I traveled at night. I ate and drank little of what I found. I wanted nothing more then to know if the surviving citizens were safe and if my brother was alive.


I soon began to know my surroundings. I was a day away from Simble. I collapsed that night, too tired to move, I only hoped I made it..


Hands. Touched my face. I opened my eyes, hurting too much to move. A women stood over me, raising a herb drink to my lips. I drank it in, smiling. I sat up, recognizing I was in Simble. People-men (now wounded, but well) women, and children-were around me. People, my people. I was hurting too much to move for them, but they fed me and cared for my wounds.


None said anything of my brother and I feared to ask. They demanded I was leader, hearing what I had done for them. I couldn't say no. These people needed a leader, a new home, safety, and I was the one to give it to them.


I healed, slowly and began to walk again. They told me a small pact was out hunting for a few days. I told them we would move soon, we needed to get away. Right now we cared for the wounded and sick, burying the dead.


The hunters came back quickly that night. With them they brought a wounded boy they had found in the woods. They brought the Wounded One to me as I was with Healers that night. I cried softly, looking at the young boy’s face. He was my brother.

The days that followed we healed and we packed of what little we had. Scouters were sent out to search for land. Slowly we were going to lead this town, rebuild, and live. They would survive under mine and my brother’s rule. We would protect this city, this town. Simble.

The cold, silver tipped bolt brushed the back of my neck as I stood in line. Again, I adjusted my jacket to cover any hint of the crossbow. The line moved again and I looked up, closer to the door. I glanced down at my carefully planned outfit, to fit in with them. Black, laced corset hid the several, pure silver blades strapped to my forearm. Tight, black, short skirt hid the blades strapped to my thighs. A leather cord around my neck held the vial of Holy Water, I obtained days ago. My blades were blessed by the same priest that gave me the Holy Water. This time I was ready to kill these vile creatures.


The guard at the door looked me over several times before nodding. He met my eyes before gently brushing my shoulder as he opened the door. Once the door is closed behind me, I am on my own. None will protect me once inside. The door opened and the techno beat could be heard now. I slipped inside, the door slammed shut behind me. I heard the lock slide in place as I moved to the bar. Now none can enter or leave. This leaves me exactly one hour to do what I must. My time starts now.


Easily as I could I slipped in and out of the crowd and into the bar. The strobe-lights made it easy to spot those who I wanted. The bartender nodded to me as he handed me my drink. He left me alone then, eyes on some girl. He wasn’t the one I wanted.


A few minutes past and I finished my drink. I knew this wouldn’t be simple, that he wouldn’t be at the bar. I would have to play his game of search. And win it. With a sly smile, I slipped off the seat and into the dancing crowd.

My hour was nearly half gone and I worried that my time was wasted until I felt cold hands on my waist. A chill was around me and I smiled softly. My time wasn’t wasted after all… We danced for a few before he whispered that invite in my ear. We danced our way upstairs and into a room.


His back was to me as he slipped his layers of clothing off. At least this one looked decent… Silently as I could, I slipped my already loaded crossbow out. I aimed it at his ribcage and fired. The bolt buried itself deep in his ribs and he howled with pain. His howl nearly shattered my ears and I hoped those that could hear it would think that he reached his climax rather then in pain. I quickly loaded and aimed again. Before I could fire, the crossbow flew from my hand and he was on top of me, in deep rage. This time, I could be the one dead.


His hand clenched around my throat, cutting off my breath. I didn’t struggle or gasp, knowing I would need the energy for later. He pulled out his own, ivory blade and ran it along my wrist and throat-he didn’t cut, yet. It was cold and no matter how much self-control I had, I trembled at the touch. He seemed to smirk as he made a small cut on my wrist and let the blood seep out. Still holding me down, he tasted my blood. I trembled at his touch.


Soon he pulled away, blood on his lips. A tease of his meal. He pressed into me and let his grasp of my neck go. He forcefully turned my head to the side and bit into my neck. I would be his last meal!

He drank from me for a few more seconds before he emitted a painful sound. He hunched over and I pushed him away. He fell over, my silver blade embittered from his chest. But it wasn’t deep enough. I quickly moved from him and grabbed my crossbow. He started to come at me again, slower from the wound now. I aimed and fired as quickly as I could. He fell over, bolt in his chest. I loaded it again and walked to his trembling, bleeding body. I fired again into his chest and he embedded a painful moan. Why won’t he die? Is he this determined, this stuck on earth to die?!


I quickly gathered my blades and bolts. I uncorked the Holy Water and poured it over his body. I then turned away from the acid-burning body to rip the clothing he had taken of earlier. I used a few scraps to wrap up my wounds. The smell of acid was in the air, making me sick. I softly whispered a Latin prayer for his damned soul.

I knelt down by the dead body and using the bloodied knife of his, I cut open his skin and caught what blood was left in the Holy Water vial. Another one for my collection. I stood up and sheathed his blade while unsheathing mine. I stabbed it into his chest, leaving. They will know who I am.


I walked out of the dancing club and out into the brisk, cold air. None spoke to me, none looked at me. But I looked at them and wondered who of them will be after me next. Whoever it will be, I wouldn’t care. I was ready this time, I will be ready then. I was able to kill him and I will kill many others like him. I was ready to kill for my sister’s revenge!

The muggy air made Rosie’s hair and shirt cling to her skin. For the hundreth time, she sighed heavily and pulled the shirt off of her skin, trying to calm and cool herself down. It must be the room, she thought with another sigh. She paced her small room, looking out the, open window. It was a dark, hot night with the clouds covering the sky. Or the fact I live in Georgia and the humitidy kills me. She started to pace the room again, worried. She looked at her phone, wondering when he would call. She sat back down on the bed, her arms wrapped around herself. She found herself staring out the window, looking at the moon. It’s full tonight. Just like the night we met, one month ago. Her eyes closed, the heat making her a bit sleepy as she fell back into memories.

She staid in a single-bedroom aparment, often sharing it with her only friend, Jazzy whom slept on the couch. She worked hard at her job, pulling extra shifts to pay for college. If she wasn’t working or at home, she was found in the late-night library on campus, studying. It was long past midnight, the Witches Hour she liked to call it. She was still up, the only person still awake in the building, studying. She had a test the next day and needed to pass. Her nose was buried in a book, her notepad right beside her. That’s when she heard it, heard him. A slight shifting noise was before her, making her look over the book. Sharp, bright green eyes met her own, making her gap. She tried to look away, but his gaze was holding her in place. It seemed like hours later, he finally broke the gaze and smiled. She blushed, hard and looking at him, trying to avoide his eyes. Blond, curly hair fell to his broad, strong shoulders. Light tan skin that seemed to glow in the light. A strong, heartshaped face with that devilish smile. Tall, strong body, wonderful body. He wore ripped up blue jeans that hugged his legs and a black dressshirt that hugged his form. And of course, those eyes. She manage to meet his gaze again and he flashed another smile at her. She fumbled with her notepad and books, pushing them into her bag. She knew he watched her as she picked up the bag and quickly walked out of the library. She could have sworn that he whispered a ‘Hello’ to her as she walked out. She quickly walked home, sticking away from the shadows. She knew no one was following her, but she often glanced behind her, expecting his shadowy figure. Once home, she woke up, Jazzy who past out with her notes all over the floor. ‘What’s up, chick? You look like you’ve seen your mother’s ghost.’ Jazzy said this to her as she sat up, looking over Rosie before she started to pick up her notes. Rosie had set her bag down on the table, starting to pace again. She knew she often paced when she was upset or worried, but right now she was deep in thought. Jazzy will understand, she’s my closetest friend, but still I worry. This guy! I don’t even know his name or anything of him, but yet my heartbeats from him. ‘Girl, speak up or I’m going back to sleep,’ warned Jazzy, smiling. Sighing heavily, kneeling down in front of her bestfriend, she told her everything that happened.

And after that night you were in my every waking thought, every dream. The more I dreamt of you, the more I thought of you, I wanted you. As well as after that, I took less classes, less hours of working and spent more time in the library and the park to just get a glimps of you. And it worked. I think the first time I saw you, I fell for you, she thought with a sly smile, And then…I started to learn about you. You talked to me, your voice intriguing and interesting. I followed every word, gaining deeper into the story, deeper into you. Then…weeks after my first sight of you, you kissed me. Oh, Kovu I love you. She jumped at the sound of her phone ringing, making her heartbeat. She quickly picked it up, seeing it was Jazzy. Of course, it’s too early for him. “Hey, Jazzy. What’s up? Don’t you have class?” she asked, sitting back onto the comfortable bed. ‘Rosie, Rosie! You've got to come to the library! Quick!” yelled Jazzy into the phone, frantic. Rosie sat up, heart beating heavily. “Why Jazzy? Are you ok?” she whispered, her heart beating with worry. “Wha-no! Rose, come now! I’m sorry, so sorry.” She sounded like she was crying when she hung up. Rosie quickly threw on her shoes, tearing out of the house. She slammed and locked the door close, tucking her key under her shirt on the silver chain around her neck.

She ran as fast as her legs would carry her to the library. The beaten path was worn out, but the journey seemed so long. She prayed for whatever reason that Jazzy was okay, that she was alive. Her thoughts turned to Kovu as she skid along the rocks, her shoes making her slide in the dark green grass. She remembered the times they would lay there, kissing and looking at the stars. Somehow this gave her hope as she looked ahead. Almost there, almost there. Jazzy has to be safe, she has to be okay. She broke into a heavy run, slipping on the wet dew. There was no light shining in the library, meaning it was close. No figure was outside of it. None that I can make out, she thought in the back of her mind. She ran to the door, trying to push it open. Locked from the outside in. No one is inside anyway. I have to find Jazzy, she seemed upset. She called Jazzy’s phone, but it went straight to voicemail. Crap, her phone is dead. Her mind returned to Kovu, making her body shiver. “I knew you’re mind will always return to me. It always does,” she heard his voice behind him. A deep, rough accent of some strange land. She smiled, turning around to see Kovu behind her. He appeared from the shadows, his eyes glowing. “Ever since I first laid my eyes on you,” she whispered, slowly moving to him. He smiled and wrapped an arm around her waist. Kovu, my lo-Jazzy! Wait. What about Jazzy? She shook her head, clearing her thoughts. She saw Kovu watched her, his eyes on her. “Kovu, have you seen Jazzy? She called me, crying.” Kovu only smiled and pulled her closer, the smile turning into a grin. “Why yes. I have. Would you care to see her?” His voice was nothing, but a purr. She nodded, finding herself lost for words. “Very well then. Do not judge upon what you see now, Rose.” She shivered at his words, lost in his voice. He smiled at her, nodding at the deed that was starting.

He led her away from the library and the campus, deeper into the woods and mountains that surrounded them. She followed his voice, following his body. She was lost into him again. He smiled at her often, looking her over. She thoughts nothing of it, used to his ways by now. When the ground grew too steep for Rosie to walk upright, he carefully picked her up and carried her to the mountains. Within the next hour, they reached a small cave, hidden behind some hills and trees. It seems like a good place for one to hide, thought Rosie, slowly coming to her senses. Kovu placed her down at the base of the cave, telling her to stay there. She watched him walk away, looking around at her surroundings. She picked at her shirt, feeling the humitdy press down on her again. She was about to step deeper into the cave when she heard a small, frightening scream deep in the cave. “Kovu!” she screamed, finding herself afraid. She heard a slight shift behind her, seeing Kovu standing there. “But-I didn’t see you-how?” she asked, finding herself confused. He looked at her, trying to meet her eyes, but for some reason she refused to. “No, of course you didn't. You asked about your friend Jazzy, yes?”-she nodded, still looking down-“Well then, why don’t we go see her?” He took her hand, walking her into the cave slowly. “She’s here?! In the cave? Why?” Her voice was pitched now, making an echo. He looked at her, a shy of alarm in his eyes. “Calm down, dear Rose. She’s here, she’s safe.” His voice was calming, but it somehow left the sentence unfinished. She took a deep breathe, trying to calm down. “Okay, okay. Fine. Just take me to her.” He grinned now, picking her up again. He walked with a purpose now, a purpose Rosie couldn’t see.

When they reached the back of the cave, Kovu had set Rosie down, looking at her. “Stay here,” he whispered to her, “Jazzy! Come forth, girl. Yes, that’s it. Like a good girl.” Rosie’s breathe caught in her throat as she watched the figure in the back limp towards them. It was moving slowly to them, as if it was in pain. When the figure finally came into the moonlight, Rosie gasped. She ran to her friend, hugging her and crying. Jazzy was covered in bruises and scratches. Her black, curly hair was pulled into a bun, but it was messy and full of twigs and leaves. Her pale skin held numerous bruises and scratches as if she put up a fight. Her eyes were black, once full of life, but now they were dull, holding no life, no hope. Her skinny body, looked weaker then before as if she wasn’t properly fed for many days. Her usual outfit of a firly black skirt and a bright, hot pink shirt was ripped up. This can’t be right. I haven't seen her since…last week when she called me to say that she’ll be at her boyfriend’s house to care for his sick mother. “Jazzy! Oh, Jazzy! What happened?” she asked, her tears running down her face. Jazzy didn’t even look at her or hug her, her arms hanging down by her side. She simply stared at Kovu. “That’s useless, Rose. Your questions won’t be answered. In fact, she won’t do anything you say.” Kovu growled this, making Rosie shiver. She heard him, but didn’t understand, shaking Jazzy still. “Jazzy. Come on, we have to get out of here. I’ll take you home, we can patch you up.” She tried to talk to Jazzy, but all she did was stare at Kovu. “Stupid girl. She won’t do anything you say. She listens to only me!” She turned around, looking at Kovu. “What do you mean Kovu?” He only smiled, his eyes gleaming with lust. He snapped his fingers, laughing a deep laugh. Rosie found herself being pressed into the wall, her throat gripped by Jazzy. She started to struggle, gasping for air. “Now, now Jazzy. You know that if you kill her, there will be nothing to drink.” Kovu laughed again, grinning.

Jazzy loosed her grip a bit, enough for Rosie to breathe. “What have you done to her?” screamed Rosie, sputtering. Kovu slowly walked up to her, his walk reminding Rosie of a panther on the prowl. “I’ve done nothing, but by my nature, Rosie,” he said, peering at her, grinning, “She found out what I was before you did. She was going to tell you, but I got to her. Now she’s mine. She’s nothing, but dead.” Rosie screamed, struggling harder against Jazzy. “Now, now that won’t do anything. I’m surprised you didn’t see it before her. I mean, Rose the facts were out there! I guess once stupid, always stupid, eh?” He laughed, walking around her. The moonlight was pouring deeper into the cave, lighing it up. She looked at Kovu, still struggling against Jazzy. He was walking around her, looking her over. I’m something to eat! He’s going to kill me. “I might,” he said suddenly, looking at her, “Yes, yes I can read your thoughts. Some things of what legend spoke of was true.” She stared at him, trying to get out of the hold. “Legends?” she sputtered, gasping for air. She was becoming hotter and weaker. Yet, she refused to give up. “Yes, legends.”-he turned around to look in her eyes-“You know that we die by the sun or fire, that garlic repels us, cruxifixes may save you from us, that we can turn into bats or fog? Old silly things that make mortals feel safe. Now what is true…fire and the sun may kill us, cursed beings we are. We are faster, stronger and have senses beyong mortal’s capablity. Pure silver may burn us. We can read minds of our kind and mortals. And of course, the oldest one…blood is what we hunger for!” He laughed his cruel laugh, making her shiver again. “Vampire! You’re-vampire!” He smiled, his fangs suddenly showing. “Now the stupid b**** catches on!” He laughed again, the sound of pure evil, of lust.

The minuets slowly passed and Rosie stopped struggling, finding it useless. She didn’t know how long it was until the sunrise, but she had to stall until the sunrise. “Wha-happen-Jazzy?” she managed to get out, still trying to breathe. Kovu was staring at the moon, suddenly turning to her. “Oh, her? I had her call you that night, telling you that she was at her boyfriends. I acted as her friend, telling her that we needed to talk about you. She thought you might have gone back on your habits of drinking. I brainwashed her-yes, as I do you-and brought her here. I hungered deeply, I wanted her blood. I didn’t drain her, but drank as much as the healthy amount for her to live. She tried to fight every night that I did this, but lost. When I finally drained her of every last amount of blood, she became like this. It’s a zombie state meaning that I put very little of my blood into her. She’s my tool now and she’s quite useful,” he said, smiling. He seems quite proud of himself now. Kovu smiled, nodding. “I am actually. Now…the moon is in the right position.” His attention turned to the mood and he smiled, letting out a laugh. He stretched, still laughing. He snapped his fingers and Jazzy dropped Rosie onto the ground. Rosie quickly stood up and ran to the mouth of the cave, gasping and sputtering. She rubbed her bruised throat stumbling as she ran. Kovu was suddenly there, slamming her onto the wall. “I can’t have my meal running away now can I?” He said this with a sick grin. Jazzy slowly walked to them, the zombie state terrfying. “I thought you loved me, Kovu! All this time…you wanted my blood.” Kovu grinned, kissing her throat. “It’s a sick game I love to play, yes. The outcome is so delicous! My victims never win.”-he glanced at the moon-“I can feed once a month and live, I don’t need to feed every day. Your friend here was just a small snack compared to you. You see, Rose…I love girl’s blood. It’s so tempting, so delicous! I can feed on guys, but they are not so fun to play with as you girls are. I make my victims fall in love with me, often by brainwashing, but you required so little. I play with them, feeding from them once to just taste them. And you, my dear tasted so good! I play the game until the full moon and then I lure them alone and feed until I have drained every last drop. It’s a fun game, Rose.” He turned to Jazzy, smiling. “What of Jazzy?” she asked, trembling. I love Jazzy to death, but she is as good as gone. She’s nothing, but a damnless soul. Just like Kovu! I was a fool to fall for him, to not heed the librarians warning! “Yes, you should have, but you refuse to listen to anyone, Rosie. Not even yourself.”-he placed one hand on Rosie’s chest to hold her in place-“You’re right, though. I can’t have Jazzy here anymore. She’ll be nothing, but a bother.” Rosie watched in horror as Kovu struck Jazzy in the chest. She made no sound, but opened her mouth as if in pain and fell over, dead. She was my friend, my only friend. Even though his monster got to her before I could save her. Kovu chuckled, watching Rosie’s reaction. “Vital point. It’s quite usful when dealing with those so-called vampire hunters.”-he grinned, looking back at Rosie-“Now, where were we?”

The seconds trickle down as Kovu slowly moved to her neck, first kissing her lips. He forced past the weak, mortal guard in her mind and wrapped his around hers. Do not speak or you will ruin this wonderful process. You are full of fear, fear of death. But don’t worry you will see your little friend Jazzy in no time, he said, deep in her mind. He chuckled and forced her head to the side, his fangs at full extent now. They glittered in the full moon light, making Rosie shiver. She wanted to close her eyes and forget everything that happend. She wished against all hope that she never met Kovu, that she had listened to what everyone had told her. Too late for that now, deary, he said in her mind again. She forced her eyes closed, praying that it would end soon. Within a matter of seconds she heard Kovu’s scream of pain and felt herself being gripped tighter. “You-b****!” he screamed at her, his mind ripping from her own. He tore the chain off of her neck, leaving a burned mark onto his hand. He flung it across the cave, having it hang near the mouth. “I was going to be gentle, having you filled with pleasure instead of pain, but I change my mind,” he snarled at her. He bit into her neck, breaking the skin. She screamed from the terrible pain that he forced into her mind. She tried to struggle, but he was stronger then her, stronger then she could ever be. Stupid little girl, he forced into her mind. He drained her blood and with each minute that passed she found herself weaker and weaker. Her eyes closed and the pain was started to dull. It’s almost over, almost over, she thought struggling to keep her eyes closed. She was becoming drowsy and hot. She felt her body being tossed down, her head rolling. She slowly opened her eyes, finding Kovu above her, smiling. She smiled back, closing her eyes as the world slowly faded and her heart struggled to beat. Good bye, my dear Rosie, you were a sweet, sweet victory.

Fire. Fire was the only thing I remembered and loved. When my foster parents would have a fire, the other children would scream and go wild, but not I. I would sit by the fire and look at it until it was nothing, but ashes. Out of all their other children, I was the calm one, the silent one. The weird one. Maybe, that was why they abused me the most.

The abuse started a little after my thirteenth birthday. It wasn’t so bad at first, you know? The yelling and often hits were normal, but just Hunter got mad at me for not taking in the firewood and smacked me so hard that my nose bled. He wouldn’t listen to reason as I tried to explain that I was caring for the little ones that were sick. Hunter never apologized either, but I made sure to keep the little ones out of his way.

Mary was getting worse with her drinking. A few weeks after Hunter hit me I was caring for a little one he hurt badly when she threw her bottle of Vodka at me. I managed to avoid it, but still she scared me. She was pissed right, drunk! “I’m sick of you and your siblings’ whiny little needs! Fix your own damn dinner and baths!” she yelled angrily. Hunter would only agree with her.

So for the next several months, I was the one cooking and cleaning. There was always food, but it was hard to cook with more than five little children in the house. I was exhausted every night as I cooked and cleaned them, made sure they got their homework done and studied. I was the one falling behind in my school work. I couldn’t explain to my teachers why I was suddenly failing and covered with bruises as well as sleeping in class. They wouldn’t listen.

I remember the night it took a turn for the worse. Izzy, a little five year old was always sick. She had a weak immune system, but she was such an enjoyment. She was smart and always wanted to learn. I went out with the other little ones to town while Izzy stayed at home, sick. Hunter and Mary were home, so I thought it would be okay. They were passed out in bed anyway. I returned home with groceries and the little ones had some toys when I heard muffled screams from upstairs. I had dropped the book I bought Izzy, hearing her screams. My first reaction was to run upstairs and find Izzy, but I knew as soon as I would, Hunter and Mary would be on the other children. I quickly hid the other children in the basement, telling them to stay silent and things would be okay. I ran up to Izzy’s room where the screams could be heard. Busting down the door, I saw Hunter holding a thin, pocket knife to Izzy’s skin while Mary held her down. I attacked, Hunter first, knowing Mary was too drunk to react.

Hunter turned his anger and knife to me and swung at me. I didn’t even considered the knife, knowing my precious Izzy was in danger. It sliced my forearm deep, but I ignored the steady stream of blood and the pain. I knocked him aside the head and grabbed the knife from him, throwing it out the already broken window. He managed to scream as I threw his body against the wall. Despite living on a farm, his body was frail and weak from drinking so much. He crashed into a dresser where the lamp fell on top of his head, shattering and knocking him unconscious.

Mary stood up, throwing Izzy on the ground. I noticed Izzy was covered in bruises and small cuts on her body. I motioned for her to run and she ran as fast as she could. She would hide and be safe, I would find her later. Mary swung at me, but I ducked under her and tackled her to the broken window. Her body hung out of it and she gripped me for support. Mary was a thick woman, spoiled by her own baking. She managed to tumble forward before falling at the window with my help. I didn’t want them dead, yet. I threw her against the other wall and hit her as hard as I could in the head, hoping to knock her unconscious. I managed to, just barely.

I quickly ran from the room and into the basement. The children were in the corner, holding each other in fear. I looked at each of their faces, noting the fear in their eyes. It sickened me to have to see this in their eyes. Where was the joy we all once had? What happened to us? They shouldn’t have to live like this, I thought, my mind made up. I quickly packed the children into the van, making sure they were comfortable. I told them I would only be a minute as I searched for Izzy.

I found Izzy in the barn with an old horse. The horse was the only one that seemed to understand our pain. I remembered weeks ago, when Hunter was beating Izzy, she ran into the barn and hid behind the horse. Hunter found her and went to grab her, but the horse bit him hard on the arm and kicked him. I managed to coax Izzy out, noting the scars on her young body. She lived in torture with these monsters, she shouldn't have had to, but now it will end. I took her by the hand and went back into the basement. She was telling me of how Hunter and Mary used to beat and hurt her when I was forced to go out. I told her with gentle words that it would end, soon.

I grabbed the matches and tanks of gasoline. Izzy knew what I was doing before I even said a word. She helped me spread the gasoline throughout downstairs and upstairs. We didn’t spread the gasoline yet in the room where they were as she wanted to bandage my wounded arm. I totally forgot of it, too busy to save these children. She managed to roughly clean and wrap some old rag around the wound to stop it from bleeding. I promised her I would get it fixed when we were out of this Hell House, she smiled at that.

Together we spread the gasoline in the room where our abusers were. They were still knocked out and to this day, I still don’t know if I preferred them awake or knocked out. I told Izzy to run to the car as I finished my side of the room. When I heard the front door slam close I quickly lit the matches and threw it on their bodies and floor. I quickly ran downstairs, lighting another matches.

I, Izzy, and the other children stood outside of the van, watching the house burn down. It was a comforting sight, knowing our pain was over, knowing the children were safe, and knowing I would give them a better life. This all ended in fire, yet a comforting sight.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.