It All Started on March 13th

Author's note: What inspired me to write this book was creative writing, and Christopher Paolini. I thought I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: What inspired me to write this book was creative writing, and Christopher Paolini. I thought I was too young to write a book, let alone get it published, but Christopher had his published when he was 15.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

The SUV

Hi, my name is Mackenzie Lola James (I prefer to be called Lola, though.) I used to be a regular 8th grader at Beaufort Middle School until March 13th. My friends and I weren’t really the most popular people. Most of the time it was just the 6 of us. Well, that day this was the case. We decided to walk home from school because we all lived about 2 blocks from the school, more or less. The McDonalds was also about 2-3 blocks from the school. Since it was a Friday, we decided to walk there for ice cream before heading home.

On the way home, a black SUV pulled up beside us and stopped. Alyssa, Alexis, Nathan, Matthew, Cody, and I were dumb enough to stop and stand there. I don't think we knew what we were about to get into.

Sometimes I wish we hadn’t. I wish we would have been smart enough to run the rest of the way home. But, that’s beside the point so let’s get back to the story.

The guys instinctively stepped in front of us and reached for their pocket knives. Then they remembered they didn’t have them today because it was a school day. Still trying to stand their ground, Nathan leaned back and whispered to us to pick up some rocks… for self defense of course.

Then two tall and muscular men stepped out of the SUV. The first man had a dark crew cut and wore a serious facial expression. He was well groomed and looked like the type of person that would be always serious and on time and stuff like that. He was tan and spoke with a slight Canadian accent. The second man was blonde with a hair style similar to Zac Efron. He had green eyes and had a goofy expression. He seemed like someone who would forget a thing or two. He was almost clean shaven except for the shadow of a mustache and a little goatee thing. He had a pale complexion and dark lips… he looked a little bit like a vampire.

We stood there and stared at each other for about a minute or so. Then the 1st man whispered something to his friend and the 2nd man looked at us and then nodded. To make them think like we were having a council meeting thing we started whispering random things to each other. “Hello,” the first man spoke, with a slight Canadian accent, “sorry if we startled you, but we are here on an important mission and we need your help. My name is John Wilkinson and this is Bob Advance. If you don’t mind can we meet somewhere more… private?” We stood there stupidly for a minute before Alexis spoke up and said “What about the old clubhouse around 5:30. Nobody ever goes there anymore?” “That works and we will see you then, ay.” he replied quickly. Without another word they stepped back into the SUV and drove off. “Well, that wasn’t weird at all” my boyfriend Cody said. “Yeah…” Nathan replied. “I wonder what this is all about anyway.” Alyssa thought out loud. “One way to find out.” I replied and we walked silently home, not goofing of like we were 5 minutes before.