Forever or Never

Author's note: Well, I'm writing this based on a dream of mine..... not to mention the fact that I've always...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Well, I'm writing this based on a dream of mine..... not to mention the fact that I've always wanted to find a way to combine my favorite mythical creatures into one story :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Forever or Never Ch.5

I was in a deep forest, lit only by faint moonlight. Walking aimlessly, I went deeper and deeper into the trees. Everything faded to black. Suddenly, there was a brilliant flash of white light. I was nowhere and everywhere, there and not. A figure came towards me. It looked like Aiken, but his wings were black as night and white as snow.
“Aiken? Is that you?” I whispered the words, but he heard me and came towards me faster.
“Welcome to my world. Some call it the forever or never zone. I was hoping you would arrive soon. You should know better than to keep a man like me waiting. Now what can I do for you?” the man did a fancy sort of bow and I rolled my eyes. I never had been impressed with ‘gentlemen’.
“Kind of hoping you could tell me that. After all, you seem to have an agenda of your own. Last thing I knew, I was in a vampire bar. So what exactly am I here for?” I questioned. I walked away, knowing ‘Aiken’ would follow.
“Don’t you know? This is where dead witches come. Don’t worry your pretty little head though; your visit is only temporary. They’ll be here for you soon. They’ll take you back into your world,” he paused, then continued. “Look at that, they’re here now. Can’t you hear them? Smell their potions and herbs? One more thing before you go…. Don’t you think it would be better for everyone if you stayed…?”
I jolted awake, falling off my fancy silk bed and onto the floor. Nimue was instantly next to me, urging me to take an herbal potion that she had fixed. I took it, and while I felt better, I said nothing and tried my best to look emotionless. I knew there was fear in my eyes though, and while Nimue saw it, she didn’t mention it and left me to change.
As I pulled on my school outfit, I replayed the dream in my head. But I guess it wasn’t a dream was it? Was it a prophecy? Whatever, I’m calling it a dream. It’s supposed to tell me something, right? But what?
Nimue knocked on my door a few minutes later and I opened it for her. She examined me up and down in search of a weapon, and in finding none she urged me to get packed for school. Not wanting to put up a fight, I complied, shoving books and binders into a tote bag. I slung that over my shoulder, packed up my laptop and headed for my window. I didn’t feel like arguing with mother, so I shimmied down the trunk of the oak tree close to my window. I then started the dreaded walk to school.
As I neared the school parking lot, I took in details that I normally wouldn’t have. I’m turning into a pansy. Since when do I care about my school? Still, I stared at it. It was as if I was looking at it for the first time, and I didn’t like it. The school was painted blue and silver which normally wouldn’t be bad, but the paint was chipping and fading revealing old red brick. There was a rusty plaque that hung loosely on the front of the school reading Danvour High. Founded in 1886.
The sound of a rusty motorcycle made me clear my head and turn. I faced a guy with short rusty golden hair, and deep baby blue eyes that for some reason made me want to swoon. He smiled slightly, then shoved me away from him. I stumbled but stayed on my feet, much to the boy’s surprise.
After everything that had occurred yesterday, I couldn’t concentrate very well. Not to mention the fact that I was still beating myself up about letting my guard down with the rusty haired boy. So finally when the lunch bell rang, I packed up my books and my laptop and hauled the bag over my shoulder. I walked outside, shielding my eyes against the bright noontime sun. The soft green grass looked inviting, so I found a spot underneath my favorite tree and sat under its shade.
I pulled out my laptop and began to type. It was nothing in particular; I just enjoyed the feeling of the keys on the pads of my fingers. I pulled up my story file and searched until I found my current story. I loved the way my head filled with the ideas, even though I knew the stories would never It was almost like a movie playing out in my head and I picked out bits and pieces and formed them into the story.
There was a light tap on my shoe, and I looked up lazily, expecting to see one of the popular girls who would tell me off. Standing tall above me was the guy who had shoved me earlier. But all I could see was the knife he held slightly higher than the top of my head. I ducked and rolled behind the tree, making my whole body ache. The boy chuckled at me. Warily I came out from my position behind the tree. He tilted his head towards the tree, as if daring me to look at it. I unwilling glanced at it. There, carved in the neatest handwriting I had ever seen, sat the word Evernot.
I looked up into his baby blue eyes. I saw no emotion there, but it just seemed to pull me closer to him. I somehow knew that he liked me, but not in a way any other boy had before. They were physical, only looking at the surface of me. He seemed to be staring at my soul, with his gorgeous eyes.
“What’s your name?” he asked, breaking the comforting silence. I tried to answer but the silence crept back in. I finally chocked out my name.
“What’s yours? I mean I guess I should probably know this sense we’re in the same grade and all but…” I mumbled, cursing my inability to talk to boys.
He stared at me for a while, smiled and said, “Daimek.” I repeated the name in my head, loving the way it rolled off my tongue. I smiled softly, but suddenly the knife he had held over top of my head just minutes before. My smile vanished, but if Daimek noticed, he didn’t say anything.
He squatted down and gathered my laptop in his arms. I started to object, but in one swift motion he slung it towards the tree. I watched helplessly as it shattered upon impact of the tree.
I stared at him in horror. Daimek continued to beat it against the tree until it hung in shards in his hand. He turned like he was going to walk away, but he seemed to have an afterthought and turned back around.
“Get your head out of the clouds and focus Nairi,” he yelled. Satisfied, he turned on his heel and walked away. My eyes followed him until he was out of sight. Slowly once I knew he was gone I began to pick up the pieces, until it occurred to me that bringing the pieces back to my house would do nothing. Instead, I left them there, right under that tree. Right under the carving, Evernot.

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

sevandlilly said...
This might be a little strange, but I LOVE all your characters names:)

LivEvil said...
As good as always, names hard to pronounce in my head....as always. Stupid itallics was on....But i likes it

emilybwrites said...
wow this was great! check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment/rate it thanks :)