A Run For It (Wendy Brooke Novel) | Teen Ink

A Run For It (Wendy Brooke Novel)

May 21, 2011
By Catherinepk BRONZE, Prattville, Alabama
More by this author
Catherinepk BRONZE, Prattville, Alabama
3 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nobody is stupid they just lack intelligiance. -Me


Ding, ding, ding. My alarm! I really don’t want to go to school today. Yet I know my powers would roam if I didn’t get up. I’m thirteen years old and alone. Let me explain: I lost my parents while I was in school a year ago. This guy named Kyle took them and left a note in their place. Here it is:


Dear Wendy,




Yes I have taken your parents and they are already dead. What is more- I am a vampire. I guess you already knew that because of your powers. I really mean no harm. All I want is the stone. I will be looking for you.



-Kyle
After I read the note I grabbed my stuff and headed to the safe house. My parents probably knew this would happen, that’s why they told me about it.
The safe house was only a few blocks away from my old house. I’m now living in it and I have to catch the bus. As I get dressed, I feel something is going to go wrong; I just know it.

It has been forever since I have seen her. I settled down in her town; hopefully she stayed. I have gotten a job as a teacher at the Junior High. I will be one of her teachers, if she stayed.
The day went on without sign of her. I desperately wanted to see her. The bell rang; it was saying, “Give up, give up”. Then, when the last class came in, I saw her! Beautiful as ever. I wanted her blood right now. Of course, that would tell everyone what I was: a vampire. I called roll but slowed, when I came to her name.
“Wendy Brooke!”
“Here,” she replied.
Oh no! Her voice is so, so velvety. I had almost found myself drooling. I continued with attendance. Once I finished, I started teaching about the changes in matter. I found myself looking at her every five minutes; she would look back confused and totally focused on the lesson. I looked away and finished the lesson.
“Bing, Bing, Bing,” the final bell of the day.
“Wendy, can you stay behind for a minute?” I asked.
“Sorry, uh, lots of homework,” she answered.
“Ok then, maybe another time,” I said disappointed.

It’s him, it’s him! It’s Kyle, what do I do? Use the stone that’s what; I have to use it wisely; Kyle will sense the powers and find me here. I’ll just use it to make a map of where the vampires are. He’s on 35th street! That’s where my old house is; he’s going to follow my scent here, I better move fast.
I found myself walking into an alley. I saw him there and as soon as I did I pressed the stone into my skin. The stone is useless now; I absorbed the stone’s powers. When I did this, he just stood there, an angry expression on his face, teeth bared and gleaming. In a blink, he had me up against the wall.
“Why did you do that?” he asked voice full of fury.
“So you won’t have the powers,” I stammered.
“Well then, I will have to change you!”
“No, I won’t let you!”
“Oh I do not think you have a choice,” Kyle said grinning as he opened his mouth and moved toward my neck.
But when he touched me, he got shocked and was sent flying. He hit the wall and landed face-down. Now was my chance, I bolted before he could recover.
It was a Saturday, so I ran to the park. It was crowded as I expected. I hurried along and got lost in a crowd of people.

How could that little b****! I will get her for that. I followed her scent to the park. I cannot stand this crowd of people, I am getting, too, dizzy.
I run into the woods and kill a young doe. Once I am full, my mouth is watering for the taste of Wendy’s blood. She will never be a regular girl.
I hurried back to the park, sniffed the air, and tried to follow her scent until I gave up. She would have to come to school one day or another. I will wait then and make sure she stays behind.
I was tired after all the action that had taken place. I will call up my friend, Tyler, to help me. He is stronger and faster than me. Also, maybe his youth will distract Wendy. Now that she knows I am out there she will never relax, but with Tyler she will never see it coming.

Man that was close! I hope I never get that close again. I was walking in the park, when I started walking toward my house. I knew I would see him again. It’s impossible to stay away. He’ll know every one I come in contact with. Where am I going? I tried going the other way but somehow I couldn’t. I finally managed to stop. I quickly looked around, and then made a map. Kyle was headed to his house. I saw another vampire on the map that I didn’t know. His name was Tyler. So I quickly put the map away and headed his way.
He actually isn’t that bad. I think I might like him. No. No. No. What am I saying? Kyle might hurt him. I’ll think about it. I walked by him and he stopped me.
“Hey, uh, I’m Tyler. Can you show me the Junior High?”
“Uh, yeah, it’s down the road, take a left, then a right, and after that go straight, it should be on your right.” I said trying not to stumble over my words.
The whole time I was giving him directions he was just staring at me. I felt my face burn bright red!
“Thanks, um-”
“Wendy! Wendy Brooke.” I interrupted.
“Thanks Wendy. See you sometime.”
“Yeah, see you around.” I said starting to back away.
I didn’t fully turn around until he grinned at me. Man he looked cute! I hope he’s in my classes! Then I can talk to him all day.

Tyler finally came! And he already met Wendy! This plan is already starting to unravel. Now what to do? I guess we’ll just see what the day plays out. Here he comes (Without Wendy)!
“Why did you come here without her?” I said angrily.
“Sorry, I have to get her to trust me.” he said.
“I saw that she instantly liked you.”
“You were watching?” he said shocked.
“’Course I was. I thought you knew that. Aren’t you a vampire yourself?” I asked.
“Well, yeah, but I was actually paying attention to her!” he said weakly.
“Don’t actually fall in love with her!” I said while he had a dumb look on his face.
“Ok then what do you want me to do?”
“Get to know her.” I said trying to hurry.
“Ok.” he said kind of confused.
“Well get along now!” I stated rudely not caring.
“Fine.” he said like we were making a deal.
He finally left me to my business! I have to plan the lesson for the next class! I started walking towards the school when I noticed Wendy. She was walking toward me! I thought this day couldn’t get any better but obviously it can! She was looking down when she bumped into me.
“Uh, sorry Professor.”
“It’s ok Wendy. Where are you going?”
“Um, somewhere. Why do you need to know that?” she said while she was backing up. Then when I started to advance she turned and ran. “Come on now. Don’t be difficult.” I shouted and started to run after her. “Please don’t make me run after you. You know I can catch you in the blink of an eye.” I yelled after her trying to get her to slow down.

Good grief! Everywhere I go I run into him! Maybe it’s destiny. No. No. No. It’s not, it can’t be! Right now it doesn’t matter. I just can’t slow down. The only thing I can do is speed up. That’s exactly what I intended to do. What I did was turn into a narrow path. I ran into a dead-end. I spun around and came face-to-face with Kyle.
“Where are my powers?” he said deviously.
“I still have them and you’ll never get them!”
“Oh what a shame. Then let’s see what powers you do have.” he said as he lifted me off the ground and against the wall.
Next he took one of his finger-nails and pressed it into one of my veins. When he saw blood he took out a vial and let the blood drip into it. He held it into the air and it stayed there. I was amazed, furious, and still scared!
After a few minutes had passed he mumbled some words I couldn’t understand. He stopped and the vial started spinning around and around faster with every spin. It was soon going so fast you could hear it. Minutes passed. They seemed like hours. It slowed down.
It maintained a regular speed and a big green globe appeared around the blood. Words slowly appeared on the mysterious green thing. It listed the words in English (Thankfully!). I looked closely at the words. They said things like strength, speed, intelligence. Then beside them was a percentage. They were my… I saw his face as I realized what they were. He gave me one of his devilish smiles. We stared at each other.
When I broke the link between us he put his hand through the green circle and it disappeared along with the words. He held his hand out under the floating vial. It dropped into his hand as he crushed it. The blood oozed out onto the concrete. I felt really weak when he did this. Like I had just run a marathon nonstop.
“If you wanted…my blood then…why did you…crush it?” I said gasping for breath.
“Because I’ve witnessed how strong your powers are right now and that they will kill me if I take them now.” Kyle said as he let me down off the wall. When I blinked he was gone. Kyle was starting to confuse me whether he’s trying to help me or not.

I should’ve known better than to tell her that now. But, maybe this will work out better than I planned. When I darted out of that place I went to my boarding house. Tyler was there. I told him it was time for him to go to Wendy.
I told him not to reveal himself to the world. Also, be careful; some people are getting suspicious. I just hope they don’t come after us. But if they do, I’ll be ready to run with Wendy.

Man, following Wendy is hard. And trying not to be seen is harder! When I left the boarding house, I headed for her school. It was a Monday and Kyle had taken the day off. I still hadn’t officially enrolled in school yet.
I stood outside the school building and waited for her. It started to seem like forever. I know what forever is! It was finally over! I hid behind the bushes by the corner of the school. She was talking to one of her teachers. Then she headed to the Super-Mart.
I guess since she lived alone she needed to buy groceries. Anyway she went in and so did I. She almost saw me but I turned at the last second. I continued but more cautious. I kept an aisle away. After she got some milk and bread she checked out. When she was checking out I sat on a bench. When she was looking through her purse I just gazed at her.
I wished I wasn’t what I am. Wishes, wishes, wishes. That’s all I can do. I wanted to do more than just kill and wish. My body on the other hand had different plans for me.
When she was done paying I quickly (at non-human speed) ducked behind a magazine stand. She just stood there looking in my direction. I hope she didn’t see me! It would’ve ruined my mission. But, reluctantly she turned back, grabbed her bags, and darted out the door.
I followed after her trying to hide my face. She just hurried when she saw the same figure. In the end she went home and locked the door. Now I know where she lives more news I can deliver to Kyle.

I think Tyler has turned against me, and Kyle is helping me! I really don’t know who to go with. I started to pack a few things since Tyler knows where I live when a knock on the door stopped me.
I looked through the little window on my door and saw Tyler! I grabbed my jacket and headed for the back door. With my head down I opened it and ran into Kyle. I stepped backward into Tyler. I was caught by him and I knew it as soon as I saw him. He wanted me. I turned back around to Kyle as Tyler grabbed my arms. It all happened too quickly for me to recall what really went on that night. All I remember is that I blacked out.
When I woke up I looked around trying to figure out where I was. I couldn’t. There were no windows and only one door. When I looked at the door Kyle stepped through it followed by Tyler. Kyle was smiling his devilish smile.
Tyler looked at me with a mixture of a smile and a frown. Kyle walked over to me. I stood up. Kyle moved my face from side-to-side. My first intentions were to do anything to try and get away. A voice inside my head said to wait. I would get my chance. It’ll come soon. I listened to it.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.