Relentless Rematch

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5

The Ending

“K, now Jared, you’re really coming along. Just don’t give up, that’s the key.”
He held his blade high, but the angle was off, I lowered my sword and fixed it. “Oh come on, we both know I suck.”
He dropped his sword and went upstairs and sat down next to Mallee. “Still as bad as I remember?” she asked smiling.
“Yep,” he said grimly.
I sighed, “No, he’s much better. I bet he could beat you, Mal.”
She scoffed, “Doubt it.”
“It’s on,” Jared said smirking.
Everyone laughed and head downstairs, where it was like a ballerina studio with all four walls covered in mirrors, even the door, but it had carpet. Me and the rest of my sisters sat down against a wall to watch. Mallee made the first move, perfectly executing a way to disarm your opponent, by twisting it out of your hands, but Jared made a counter-offense and got a little tangled. He was the first to recover from the shock of not knowing what to do, and immediately, while she was still dazed for a few seconds, he strikes for her side. Just in time she recovers and bounces back. She parries the blade, twists so she steps to his side and hits the flat part of his blade on the back of his knees. Once Jared is on the ground the tip is at his back. The blade hit one of the mirrors and it shattered.
“Can you two go once without breaking my mirrors?” I said.
“At least you’re better, this time,” said Mallee as he grabbed her hand helping him up.
“Yea, yea, whatever. I can beat Vala and Jumi no problem.”
“Hey!” Jumi protested.
“Watch it! Rachna never taught us personally…” Vala said giggling.
Me and Kinita laughed, “Well, you’re not getting married to Rock, now are you?” Kinita said cracking up.
It was good to see how close we are. I stood up and said, “Well, I think he’s coming along. And technically, the wedding’s tomorrow.”
“Of course you do, Rock,” Linya said smiling.
I walked over to Jared and kissed him. “EW,” Jumi and Vala said together.
Linya laughed, “Do we really need the visuals, guys?”
I pulled away, “Just to make you mad, of course!”
We all laughed. As we headed upstairs, I waved my hand the mirror pieces reattached themselves together and melded into one. We walked up the stairs and finished breakfast. I spent most of the day trying to show Jared some tricks, but he seemed preoccupied. “Gosh, I guess I’m just anxious for tomorrow or something,” he said finally.
“Don’t worry about it!” I said trying to be encouraging, but to tell the truth, I was nervous too.
We tried to keep focused, but with Jared acting like some sort of Jedi and every few seconds we kept getting off track with laughter. Finally, we ended the day with a sword fight between me and Kinita. We’re both competitive and that makes it interesting, but we try not to hold grudges or judge since what had happened last time… “I’ll get you this time Rock!”
“Yeah rite!” I yell over as she picks out a sword and heads downstairs, “I’ve beaten you five times in a row!”
“Well that’s about to change!” she says smiling.
Our other sisters and Jeru make their bets and put them in a bowl and stash it in a corner. Kinita and I raise our swords and smile, “You’re going down, Rock.”
“After you, Kin.”
At first she pauses then starts stabbing. I deflect a couple swipes then step aside as she stabs again. With my sword, I twist hers, which would have normally disarmed my opponent. Instead, she hung on and straightened out her body. She was spinning in midair! She landed precisely on the balls of her feet, and started swiping again.
Then she does a tricky move that caught me off balance. She made a swipe at my knees that made me jump high. But that gives her the advantage of me being caught off guard. In one swoop she brings her arms up and the blade starts coming down on me. Immediately, I fall to the ground instead of landing on my feet as I dismount my jump to give me an extra second. Then, I point my tip up, and hit the blade with all my strength. My blade went through hers! Now it looked like a T, with my tip through her blade. While Kinita was still a bit dazed, I snapped my wrists back and her blade goes flying off my blade and hits the mirror and it shatters. I kick her to the ground and am just about to put a jinx on her to freeze her, but she quickly throws a spell at me.
It was a freezing spell, too. I use my powers to levitate myself above the ground and it missed me by inches. Sadly, I put a bit too much power in that, and hit the ceiling. I fell to the ground, and all I could see was wood splinters everywhere. Before Kinita had time to even laugh I cast a spell that left her blind, and once the dust cleared, I saw her aimlessly swinging her sword. I quickly put a freezing spell on her and put my tip of my sword to her throat, “Ha!” I said. “I win again!”
I unfroze her and took off the blinding jinx and she coughed at all the dust. “Nice one there with my sword.”
We shook hands and smiled and hugged. “It’s good to have you back, Rock. We missed you.”
“Same to you.”
The whole floor was covered in dangerous wood full of sharp points and nails from above. Insulation and some kind of lighting was sticking out of the debris, too. You could barely even See Jared and Linya splitting the pot. I yawned and waved my hand to fix everything. The ceiling was first. Insulation and lighting flew back rapidly and wood covered most of it back up. Then the mirrors replaced themselves again and Kinita’s sword flew back into her hand. Everyone said goodnight and hugged each other, wishing us a good nights sleep for the big day tomorrow. They insisted we sleep in separate rooms, so that all I had to do tomorrow was get up, show up, and say “I do.”
So, after my sisters pulled me away from Jared after our Goodnight Kiss I headed upstairs to my room. I was extremely tired, and fell asleep with almost no bad dreams at all.
The next day came all too quickly. And my lovely sisters awaked me. Linya was freaking over decorations over at the hotel. Vala was going crazy over my dress. Jumi was practicing on the piano over the songs. Mallee kept starting over and over again with my make up, and curling my hair uncontrollably. Then there was Kinita, who seemed all too happy to laugh at me as I was poked and prodded. “Well, you’re face is looks great except you obviously aren’t too happy about being the center of attention for once, the dress is tight, but beautiful, from what I saw at the hotel is magnificent, and the piano is brilliant! What more could you ask for in an hour by your wonderful sisters?”
Everyone laughed and looked like they had just run around the world. “Thank you girls so much! You don’t know how much this means to me! You truly made me look beautiful!”
I looked in the mirror, and I looked so pretty! I had a perfect complexion with my blonde hair curled to perfecting at my shoulders. My dress was white and had beads embroidered all over in brilliant patterns. Music was playing in my head from the piano and Linya had just arrived in whirlwind, so I knew it must be gorgeous at the hotel, too.
Soon we were there, at the church. It was too soon, I didn’t feel ready. I could hear Jumi playing wonderful songs as everyone went prancing down the aisle. First, the groomsmen and the bridesmaids, my sisters and their current dates. Then Kinita, my maid of honor, smiling so real it could have been fake! Then a little girl, about three or four pranced down the aisle. It was Jared’s new little sister. We had to make sure Jared’s parent knew he was getting married, but still though he was getting older. So I put a simple charm on him that made him look his actual age, twenty-nine.
Then it was my turn. I looked over my shoulder and saw Jared’s Dad, who thought I was the same age as Jared, and thought I looked it, too. We had spent a lot of time together, and had really gotten to know each other. He was a nice guy, tall and bulky, who loved to play golf on the weekends. He smiled at me and I heard the song I had been dreading all week. The wedding march rang in my ears, and bounced around in my skull. It must have altered my feelings, because I felt like running away. “Don’t be scared,” Dave, Jared’s dad, whispered.
I took a deep breath as he opened the doors for me. Everyone had stood up, my mom and aunts, all of Jared’s freakishly large family, and even my surprise guest. Yachri stood up and waved and I smiled a little at him. I was nervous about being here with all these people, staring at me waiting for me slip and fall into the punch bowl, or accidentally say “Sure,” instead of, “I Do.” All the eyes were looking at me, and I was looking everywhere. “Just look forward,” Dave said calmly.
I raised my head, and saw who was waiting at the end. Jared, in his monkey suit, was standing there, smiling. As soon as I saw him, I wanted to sprint up there with my overly tight dress and kissing him, but that would be embarrassing. I had borrowed the shoes from Linya, I had the new dress, I had my old wooden bracelet on, and I had a blue ribbon in my hair. Everything was going according to plan, and seeing Jared, I dropped all of my worries and relaxed. When I got up there I quietly thanked Dave and he smiled and everyone sat down but me and Jared. Now, it was time.
We went through the vows smoothly, smiling the whole time. The ancient little sayings that hadn’t meant so much to me ever before seemed to glow with my pride that day. Even the ring exchange went Ok. Then he asked the biggie, the question I’d been dreading for months. “Do you, Jared Nash, take this women, Rachna, to be your wedded wife?”
He took a deep breath, “I do.”
He was way too calm. Internally, I was freaking out. All of my muscles just wanted to hold him, but I knew I had to wait. Then he asked me! “Do you, Rachna, take this man, Jared Nash, to be your wedded husband?”
All I wanted to say was, “Oh yea, he’s all mine now!”
But instead I was feeling rather proper, or normal, that moment so I whispered softly, “I do.”
“I now pronounce you, Mr. and Mrs. Jared Nash.” The old man gave a crooked smile and said, “You may now kiss the bride.”
I never believed in happily ever afters until that day.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5