The Unknown | Teen Ink

The Unknown

By Hook11lives, Bridgeport, Washington
Hook11lives, Bridgeport, Washington

It was three days before our eighth grade class trip to Hawaii. Today was June 1st, 2010. It was a Wednesday. Everyone was planning on having fun. To save money we booked a small, ancient 32-passenger plane instead of taking a huge, newer one.

At school, the next day, our last test of the year was finally over in algebra. I got a 97%, the highest in the class, the second highest was an 84% but they didn’t see the answers before the test started. I was thinking the rest of the period about how much fun Hawaii was going to be. I had never been out of state except to Washington and not Washington D.C, the Washington above Oregon.

That night I had finished my packing. I packed socks, underwear, pants, shirts, shorts, a sweater, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, a blanket, a pillow, extra stuff for swimming, and money. Tomorrow will be fun.

The next day, I woke up at four in the morning and walked to the school with my friend Sarah. We had to take the school bus to Portland from Ashwood, Oregon, to get to our plane. The ride would take from three to four hours. I sat next to my friend Kassie, this girl I knew since first grade. Erin and Jordan sat in the seat next to us and Jermaine and Miles sat in the seat in front of us. Everyone was tired so we slept till six, then the seats around me played truth or dare. When a mini mart opened at seven, we stopped and bought snacks. The teacher told us that it would be about 30 minutes till we got to Portland. People were excited.

At about 8:15 am, we got to the small airport. We boarded the plane.The pilots told the teachers and parents they had to board a boat, of couse they were cool with it because it was away from us. I sat in the second to last in between Kassie and Miles. Haley, Jordan, and Erin sat across from us. When the plane started to take off I felt butterflies in my stomach. the pilots told us the flight would take about 4 hours and to remain in our seats for the time being.i had brought some food and my lap top I got for Christmas to mess around with on the way there.

At about 11:30 am, we heard the pilots talking, "Whats that?" asked one of the pilots.

"its an island, I never seen it before." whispered the other pilot.

"And what is that, the look that birds but much bigger."

We heard a thump. Then another one, even louder that time. Kassie saw these giant, prehistoric looking birds out the window. They were attacking the plane like it was their prey. Crack.....the plane had split in half. I heard people crying and screaming. All I could think of was how was it possible they could do this. I saw the sky then the ground, sky then ground. I had heard a loud boom. It went black.

…..I woke with Kassie shaking me. The old plane had split in half and was at different parts of the island. "What happened?" I asked Kassie.

"The plane crashed," she answered, "Us and Erin and Jordan are the only people alive that I can see."

"Is there anyone alive." I yelled. No answer. "Is anyone alive." I yelled again. And again no answer. As I started to get up from my seat, I felt a sharp pain in my leg. I fell to the red, bloody floor. As I rolled up my pant leg, blood trickled down, I saw that my leg had been deeply jabbed with rusty, metal bar. I could barely walk because of the pain.

Erin, Jordan, Kassie, and myself carefully walked out of the fallen plane with all of our belongings. My first reaction was to pull out my phone calmly. it was dead. Everyone else looked at there phones. We walked till we found the biggest tree I had ever seen. It was probably 20 feet in diameter. We had an idea to hollow out the tree with fire and water so we can stay in it out of the tropical weather. It was an old Indian technique.

The rest of that day, we gathered stuff for the fire and whatever food we knew was edible.

The first night we just slept in a tree to stay off the ground away from the animals and bugs. In the morning, I woke by Jordan falling out of the tree we were sleeping in. It was a sight to see. He rolled out of the tree and flipped in the air. He landed in a pile of leaves which cushioned his fall. After, we ate some bananas, mango, and kiwis that we found yesterday, my friends made a bandage for my leg out of banana leaves and cloth. Kassie and I started a fire for the tree and Jordan and Erin went off to find whatever they could find for us to use.

The fire was getting off to a good start. All of a sudden a wild boar ran though the underbrush and was getting ready to charge at Kassie. I picked up a rock and a stick and jumped in front of her in between her and the boar. My leg luckily held out and I flung the rock at it. The rock barely fazed him. It ran for us and I hit him with my stick as hard as I could. I broke his leg. Hearing the injured boars ear-piercing squeals, I jabbed it through the heart with one of Jordan's knifes.

Erin and I had been looking for food while Tyson and Kassie worked on our shelter. We had saw some berries we knew were edible and picked them. other then being trapped on this island, we had fun poking each other, running through the trees, and finding stuff. A couple hours had passed, we had lost track of time. As we walked back to our friends, we heard a loud squawking coming from the right side of us. We changed directions and headed toward the noise. Walking over this hill, we saw the greenest grass and a gorgeous waterfall. The water was so clear you could see that the water was filled with Salmon 5 feet long and longer. These salmon looked prehistoric. Myself and Erin ignored the fish and turned to the waterfall. The water was refreshing and was the best water I had ever seen. We filled a jug-full for our friends. We were having some fun and we heard the squawking again. Making our way up this staircase looking rock beside the waterfall, we saw the birds above. We saw the birds that attacked, took down, and split our plane in half. I thought I was seeing things. I had asked Erin if she saw them, too. She did. "I think they live here." she said looking at me. My stomach growled and I was scared for the first time in my life. We stared at the birds then ran down the rock staircase. As we ran through the jungle back to our camp, Erin tripped and fell into a deep hole landing in a nest of huge eggs. " I think these eggs are those birds." Erin said staring into my eyes. She grabbed the eggs and I pulled her out of the hole, running back to our friends.

What happened, why were you running?" I asked them. " We saw the birds that took down our plane." Jordan told us, " We brought back some food and wood though." " We killed a boar and the tree is almost done, probably 5 more days." That night we ate mangos, raspberries, roasted boar, and water Jordan and Erin had brought back for dinner. After I ate, Kassie and I we were going to walk around the island, exploring. We walked to the beach and sat down in the sand, watching the splashing of the waves against the beach. As we were sitting, I felt something strange in my stomach, like something was bubbling up making me wanna throw up. I wondered if anyone felt the same way, and what I did or ate to fell this way. We stayed to see the sunset trying not to think about or dead classmates. Kassie and I walked back to the tree and hung out with Jordan and Erin, thinking about what to do the next day. Deciding to gather supplies from the plane tomorrow, we fell asleep one-by-one. Starting with Kassie, who fell asleep on my shoulder, then Erin, that fell asleep on Jordan's lap. Jordan and I talked about our lives back home, wondering about our classmates, and talking about girls. Then we fell asleep.

That next morning, we ate our normal breakfast, our version of bacon and eggs. My stomach felt better but I felt all tingly. At that time I mentioned it to my friends. Strangly they felt the same way. Making our way to the plane, we prepared our brains for the devastation. Walking inside, I counted the bodies. 11 bloody, dead bodies, our old friends, our classmates. I saw Bryce, Haley, Dakota, Frankie, Melody, Jack, Miles, Ken, Mary, and Gwen all bloody and dead. My stomach was churning, I assumed there's were, too. We unloaded everyone's stuff and brought it back to our camp. Kassie and Erin went threw the stuff. Jordan and I went to the waterfall to get more water. As we were walking I asked him if he wanted to race even though I knew was a lot faster then me. He said yes. When I said go, I felt a rush of wind and I couldn't see Jordan. I was still jogging and I noticed my leg didn’t hurt so I started running. I felt good and free.

I got to the waterfall, he was sitting down on a rock a few feet away. I asked him if he would run for me. As he did, he moved from me to a tree 100 yards away and back in 3 seconds. You couldn’t even see him when he was running. "Wow," I said, "I think you have a power, to move super fast."

"How do you think I got It?" He said.

I told him I thought it was something on this island because it is new to us. We drank the delicious water, filled up our jugs, and headed up the rock stair case to see the birds. The birds looked nothing like I had seen before, they looked a little like pterodactyls and eagles mixed together. They were white and were about 8 feet long wing-to-wing. We saw something strange, one of the birds split a boulder in half and moved it out of the way. " I think this how they took down our plane, however they got there powers, you got yours." I said talking a little to loud. The birds looked up and saw us. They flew to attack us but some how they stopped. I felt a thumping vibration in my body every time they tried to move forward. I opened my eyes. We saw a red bubble around me, protecting myself. It wasn’t around Jordan so I grabbed his hand. I had the power to make forsefields. The birds left us alone because they wernt getting nowhere. We walked away slowly, making sure not to disturb the birds. I stopped using my forsefield and I felt very week, tired, dangered, and helpless. Jordan ran us back in an instant. I was dizzy. The girls were amazed but not so much because the same thing had happened to them. As we told them our story, they told us there's. They told us how Erin had got the ability to fly and how Kassie got the power to move things with her mind. This was a miracle. Now we could get off this island and get back home, somehow."

At this time we practiced our abilities, getting better and better as time moved on. When we concentrated I could turn my forsefield, myself and whoever was in the bubble invisible, Jordan could make other things move faster, Erin could fly other things, and Kassie could move multiple objects. We worked together to build a boat that could fit at least 20 people and enough food to feed those people for 2 weeks. That night Erin put the berries and fruits in bags and containers. She didn’t get close to the meat because she was a vegetarian so Kassie cooked and bagged the meat. We went to bed talking about our powers and how exciting they were. After being there 23 days and having our powers 14 of those days, we learned about our powers, and how to control them.

It was day 24; me and Erin were to find the rest of our class that day, if they were alive. Kassie and Jordan continued to prepare for our journey on the ocean. We went up into the air. Erin used her flying powers and I used my forsefield. The island was enormous and we saw those birds by the water fall. I saw that there was a long river leading to the ocean from the waterfall. There were probably 15, give or take, birds. We ignored them and started to search the island. From the air, all we could see were trees. Erin saw a hole in the trees where the plane crashed so we descended thru the hole. We saw the front part of the plane. There was no one. Together we went inside the plane. There were no dead bodies. That was a good sign. We decided to walk the rest of the way.

Walking for 2 hours, we saw something exciting. Our classmates had built shelters out of banana leaves and bamboo. Running, hoping to see our classmates, we saw no one. I went up into the air. Erin followed. I saw a hand-made boat. Still noone.Then finally I looked closer and I sew them. Our classmates were huddled around a fire by a stream, eating wild boar and fruit. We descended, so they couldn’t see us. We wanted to keep our powers a secret. As we ran to them, I could see the rest of 8th grade, well soon to be 9th grade in September. Everyone that was on the front part of the plane was there. Erin and I walked to them. They were shocked; they had searched the island everywhere. They thought that we all drowned because they didn’t see the other part of the plane. We told them what we had done and that only us four survived the class. Telling them we would be back to get our friends, we walked away. Jermaine ran to us and asked if he could go with. "UHH, ok, well you will be surprised how we got here."

"How? Let me guess, boat”

Ha, ha, ha. We laughed. No. We showed him. I made him get kind of close to me and I made a forsefield. It was harder than usual because I never practiced with someone else and myself in my forsefield. We flew. Halfway there we saw the birds take off and head straight for us. I grabbed Erin's hand. She helped me keep us all in the air. I turned us invisible. They still tried to attack. I told Erin she had to fly all of us so I could explode the birds from their insides. As she struggled, I made a forsfield in each one of the birds. I could use my forsefield after exploding all the birds, 17 of them, so I did. We were covered with blood and guts. We flew for another 10 minutes and landed next to Kassie and Jordan. Jermaine gave us all hugs. All of us together headed to the others before dark. Me and Kassie floated the boat with our powers and brought it to the ocean so we could bring it to the others. We traveled on the ocean with Jermaine telling us what had happened over there untill we got to the others.

It was dark when we got to the rest of our class. Everyone gave us hugs. They were sitting and the four of us that survived the tail plane crash, decided to show everyone our powers. Erin showed first, she flew up into the air. Kassie showed them next, she moved Nikki just by looking at her. Jordan ran around everyone. I turned invisible and moved fire with my so called magical bubble. Our class was amazed. We could tell they were jealous. That was how we were going to get off this god forbidden island. We went to bed.

It was day 25 that morning. Everyone was up and getting ready by 9:00. "Let's hurry so we can leave this hell hole." They laughed. They never heard me say hell before and they said it sounded funny. Our class was ready by 10:00. Everyone loaded the boat. Off we went. First Kassie used her ability to move the water to make us go faster. Jordan tied a rope around Erin's waist and she flew up into the air to move the boat and steer it. About every hour we would switch. Jordan would push the boat while running on the water and I would use my forsefield to move the h2o, pushing the watercraft. Jordan got tired easily so he had to stop, eat, and then start again.

It had been six agonizing days out at sea. At about 1 pm, Jermaine yelled "look, look I see a boat." We saw it. A sigh of relief came over us. We were saved. After 31 days away from home, we were returning. The coastguard had seen our boat and was coming to rescue us. We found out we were on an undiscovered island if the coast of Washington, about 100 miles out at sea. We got home July 4th, just in time for fireworks. All of our families were worried sick. My family drove from our town Ashwood to Axehandle, to watch fireworks, driving 7 miles. I saw Jordan, Erin, and Kassie. I went to them. We had a close friendship on the island and we brought it back home. We hung out and watched the fireworks together, just like old times. After our adventure everything was different. Together we use our specialties to help our world. We are the Unknown.

We became sort of famous. We became one of the biggest topics, in history. From the start of the school year in 2010 to our friends death in January to our class trip to making it home to now be hard, we had a lot of funerals to go to in this summer. Our lives had changed. We all enjoyed the publicity and being famous. It was cool. We wondered what our high school lives would be like when we returned home and started 9th grade in September. I can’t wait.

Steph0804 GOLD said...
on Dec. 29 2011 at 3:15 am
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

I wrote my first story in first grade, it was called "Mr. Potato and Mrs. Zucchini" :P

Steph0804 GOLD said...
on Dec. 29 2011 at 3:15 am
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other

Cool! I wrote my first story in first grade, but that was literally a page long and it was about two characters named Mr. Potato and Mrs. Zucchini :P

on Dec. 29 2011 at 12:09 am
TheCoffeeKitten BRONZE, Saugatuck, Michigan
I like this story so far. =) It's got a very interesting plot to it, from what I've read. One thing that I would suggest is perhaps writing with a bit more emotion--really SHOW us what the characters are feeling, don't tell us. It's an easy thing to do, but something that ALL writer's struggle with. However, I do like it so far, and the style is interesting! Keep it up! =) ~CK

Hook11lives said...
on Dec. 28 2011 at 10:39 pm
Hook11lives, Bridgeport, Washington
thanks for the comments. iknow i wrote that in 6th grade and it was first story.

on Oct. 4 2011 at 8:16 pm
shootingstar97 SILVER, Calgary, Other

Life is a canvas..... THROW AS MUCH PAINT ON IT AS YOU CAN!
I have no other reason but a woman's reason: I think so because I think so. (Two Centlemen of Verona, Act 1, Scene 2)

o and btws - to make other countries jealous........ :D <3!

on Oct. 4 2011 at 8:15 pm
shootingstar97 SILVER, Calgary, Other

I agree. It has a good plot and characters, but I think you need to develop them a bit more - maybe like show a bit of feeling. ex: a wave of terror hit me. where was everyone?

Steph0804 said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 10:11 am

Problem; are the kids fazed at all by their friends' deaths? Also, the language is kind of detached and quick-paced, like it's a summary of the real story. Plus, realistically, kids with superpowers would be rounded up by the government for experimentation or safekeeping or just to make other countries jealous...

Still, if you work on this story and extend it, I really think you can turn it into a great novel :)