The Reaper

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Chapter 3 Leaving an Angel

Frederyk continued to look, and there, lying next to Jacob, was Isabella’s body. A knife protruded from her chest. Isabella just lay there, her breathing heavy. Blood trickled from her mouth, which hung agape. “ISABELLA!” Frederyk screamed. He jumped from the ledge, slowly coming to a halt where the ground was.

“I will take the pain away, and after that you must make a decision. Blink if you can understand me.” Isabella blinked once, and then spoke.

“Now I see why you would not let me help you. However, I am still so glad I did. I’ll tell Julie of the things you did for her,” Isabella gasped, starting to nod off.

“No wait, Isabella you do not have to depart now! Remember when I spoke of the concept of immortality? If I could give you immortality, would you trade heaven for it?”

“I do not believe wishful thinking will save me Frederyk.”

“It is not wishful thinking, your mind is always aware of your soul. It cooperates at every turn of life, it is healing, it is your conscience. But your body stays as filthy as it can possibly be, not able to be cleansed by the purity of it. Your body spends its life eating at itself and becoming more and more unclean until the body cannot hold it anymore, and finally your soul leaves. But what if your soul was aware of the condition of your body, what if your soul could heal your wounds like it does your mind. Would you let it happen?”

“Frederyk, I believe I understand you. Entering immortality, I have more of a chance to become a better servant of God. I can help to convert those who need it, and I can live life until kingdom come. But is it really your soul that keeps your body alive or is it some sort of enhanced state of mind that we enter? Does our soul leave our body, and travel to heaven? Is living forever really living?”

“Time is short, Isabella. Please make your decision,” Frederyk pleaded, beginning to sob. “I can’t stand to lose you. I love you.”

“Can you not tell that time has not been moving? Together we are the only ones in motion.”

“She is right Frederyk. Time has stopped. I am responsible,” a new voice intruded.

“I do not have time for this Damien; I have a life on the line.”

“Time is nonexistent at the moment, but since you are in such a hurry, let me finish this; I have more experience with this. I am also in a hurry.” Damien looked at Isabella “Are you living to give your life to live forever, Isabella?”

“Yes, but only because I have something to live for. Frederyk I love you and I will stand by you for all eternity in both mind and soul.”

___

The transformation was invigorating; energy flowed through Isabella’s blood; her soul was allowing her wounds to heal at lightning speed.

She was becoming immortal.

At her side there stood an angel, magnificent in his beauty. He stood watching her, observing, waiting for something.

“Are you an angel from heaven?” Isabella spoke aloud to the one standing at her feet.

“Yes I am. I see that your soul will not be accompanying me like I expected. I have enjoyed being your guardian,” the angel said in a slightly sad tone.

“What is wrong?” Isabella asked, seeing that the angel seemed depressed. “Is my soul to be lost?”

“I have watched you grow up into a beautiful lady, you have always been a servant of God, and now you enter the unknown.”

“Whatever do you mean?”

“The future of the immortals is undecided. God is watching always for a reason to keep you alive, most of you serve Him well, but like His original creations there is still great evil in the immortals. In fact, that is what Damien and Frederyk are talking about now. A rogue immortal is killing people at a massive rate; he is cooperating with the Devil. They are unleashing demons upon God’s followers, most call it the Black Plague because they have no knowledge of the real damage.”

“Frederyk and Damien plan to pursue this Reaper, don’t they?

“Yes they do, and despite what you may think, you can help them accomplish catching this killer.”

“How do you come across that idea?”

“You are the only immortal besides the Reaper to ever converse, or even see, their guardian angel. That will help because when dealing with demons you will be just as transparent to them as I am. The Reaper is currently North-East of this specific position, about a five day journey. I must leave now, new children are being born and I must be there to protect them. It has been a pleasure, Isabella.”

“Wait, one more thing: please promise me you will tell me if God makes his decision on the standing of our souls. We will do anything possible, even live through the Tribulation that is bound to come in these trying times.”

“Times are not at the worst, the Rapture is farther than you think. You are well studied. Yes I will tell you if God decides. Who knows, you may be the salvation of the immortals. I bid you farewell. You are in good hands.” The angel did not fly away as expected; he just disappeared

Belladona_Daughterof_Circe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:42 am:
OMFG, Will!!! Frickin amazing!!! I worship your writing!!!

Xella714 said...
I like it, though the dialogue is rough and unrealistic.

Gokulover said...
OMG...... that was the best book I've ever read. and i read alot of books.

emilybwrites said...
wow! double wow! fabulous story i can see why it is #1! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment i would like some feedback from fellow writers! thanks so much!

OliviaR. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm :
hey, i love your story!!! pleas check your email and tell annmarie to do the same thing!!!!

ThornThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Grr! My computer's not letting me read past the first page.

On a happier note, my comment:

So, this was amazing! Very well writter, and definitely drew me into the storyline.

There are a few itty-bitty things I'd like to mention.

First of all, there were numerous punctuation errors, but those can easily be fixed.

The second thing that had me confused is when the Isabella/Frederyk thing actually started. I'm reading and all of a su... (more »)

ThornThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 23, 2010 at 7:41 pm :
*very well written.

OfficialApprover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 7:24 am:

Lexie is the first to comment.  WHAT.

I believe you already know my opinion of this book;D I'll let the rating speak for itself.

in the darkness replied...
Dec. 17, 2010 at 7:50 am :
I love the plot it was enough to keep me reading. I would love to see more chapters.