SuperNOVA | Teen Ink

SuperNOVA

By Timekeeper DIAMOND, Cary, North Carolina
Timekeeper DIAMOND, Cary, North Carolina

"A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over a garbage can and says 'That's Punk'?, and I say 'No that's trendy'!"- Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day

Summary:

John Lange was your typical New York detective. At least, that's what he's been told. The only thing Lange can remember is getting caught in a near fatal explosion, and now his ex-wife's employers, an organization known only as Project NOVA, have become his only lifeline. No one's willing to tell the whole truth, and no one can be trusted. NOVA's own operatives have been disappearing, and someone on the outside has been watching Lange for a long, long time.

But before Lange can investigate the secretive Project NOVA, he's going to have to learn the truth about himself. And the secrets John Lange's own mind hides may yet make this case his last!

Frank C.

SuperNOVA

on Apr. 24 2011 at 11:11 pm
MasterZone BRONZE, Toronto, Other
Question for the author: How many views does this novel have so far?

on Apr. 24 2011 at 8:24 pm

The release will likely be delayed, as I am still wrapping up the final draft.

After that, I will select an agent and then pitch the novel to various publishers. I can't legally say which publishers I'm looking at yet, because nothing's set in stone.

So while a fall retail release is still a possibility, it'd be up to the publisher to really, really push things faster, which doesn't seem that realistic from where I'm standing.

TeenInk has also hinted in the past that there may be plans for print publications of novels, but I'm not sure whether that is still happening and if it is, whether or not it's really an option I'm considering.

I don't have a huge say in the novel's price tag, but that's the tentative price I'm giving right now because that's the price I feel I would pay for it. I don't want to charge nothing, but I don't want to be exorbitant, either.

Aidyl BRONZE said...
on Apr. 24 2011 at 6:15 pm
Aidyl BRONZE, Oshawa, Other

"If you want a friend be a friend."

-Poster

"That's cool. Hey you know what's even cooler than triceratops? Every other dinosaur that ever existed!"
-Dwight Schrute The Office

Okay wait, I looked on your website, and have realised that no, you are not signed with someone yet. So my question is this, How can you be so sure that you won’t be rejected? It seems like you’re already considering what price you’re going to sell it at and things like that.

Aidyl BRONZE said...
on Apr. 24 2011 at 6:08 pm
Aidyl BRONZE, Oshawa, Other

"If you want a friend be a friend."

-Poster

-Dwight Schrute The Office

Have you actually made a deal with a publisher? If so, who’s it being published with. Because earlier you said that it would be in stores later this year or something?

on Apr. 24 2011 at 11:46 am

Thank you very much :)

on Apr. 24 2011 at 11:46 am

It's funny you should mention Artemis Fowl, as I adore the series and Eoin Colfer definitely has an influence on my work. Thans for your comment!

on Apr. 24 2011 at 7:11 am
lucybrown SILVER, Blacksburg, Virginia

The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

First things first, but not necessarily in that order. ~ From Doctor Who

This is great!  So far I've only read the first couple chapters, but I like it- you're really good at describing things and it definitely sounds like something that could be in a bookstore one day. 

I feel like I would enjoy it more when I'm older though, because I felt a little lost as I read it.  I feel this way with a lot of books though, The Artemis Fowl series in particular which I was not very fond of when I was younger but love now.  So I think this is probably how I feel about your book in a number of years.  :)

Keep up the good work!

Hero12 said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 11:57 pm
way to go man u deserve it

on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:50 am

Hey SuperNOVA fans, the official site's production blog has been updated! Go check it out!

If you don't have the site's address, simply Google "project-nova novel website" and the production blogshould be the first result.

on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:46 am

Ah, twelth grade makes much more sense than twelve years old, my mistake!

If you don't mind I will save yhe answers to your questions for the author video interview, which should come out the first week of May. Thanks!

on Apr. 22 2011 at 11:43 pm
Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

The 12+ means that it's more appropriate reading for a twelfth grader and such. It sounds like it would be in the adult section because John is more mature and grown up. May I ask a couple of questions?

How many pages is your final draft?

&

Are you truly planning to publish this book sometime soon?

I would love to read the full and complete version.

on Apr. 22 2011 at 11:11 pm

Cool, let me know when you get the chance to read it, I'd like to know what you think about it. Thanks :D

on Apr. 22 2011 at 11:10 pm

If you think this version is long, wait until you see the final version! Thanksn for your comment, I appreciate it :D

on Apr. 22 2011 at 11:10 pm

Thanks for the question, BBB.

AlexxxX GOLD said...
on Apr. 22 2011 at 8:51 pm
AlexxxX GOLD, Wichita, Kansas

\"A wise man makes more oppatunities then he finds\"

I havent actually read the whole thing yet cause I havent had the time but I did read the description I just thought Id tell you your story line is really good it seems very compelling a page turner and I if I get the time I will read it... its definately a good storyline though

on Apr. 22 2011 at 7:01 pm
it was really good. and long, i hope u keep writting and that i will be able to read it. i wish u luck in your writting path.

BeeBee Brown said...
on Apr. 22 2011 at 2:47 pm
How has SuperNOVA changed from the earliest drafts to the final drafts?

on Apr. 22 2011 at 10:50 am

Thanks for your comment, I'm glad the novel managed to win you over! One of the things I really made an effort to stress in the final draft (the TeenInk version is a few years old and only the first one fifth, roughly) is the characters' backgrounds and details; I tried to really flesh them out.

I don't understand what you mean about the adults versus teenagers thing. Are you saying it should be for ages 12 and up? I mean, I definitely don't recommend it to children, mostly to teens 14 and older.

Thanks again for your comment!

on Apr. 22 2011 at 10:37 am

Thanks, I think you'll find the retail version to be far less confusing...everything is given more time to develop naturally and some unneccessary story arcs have been cut. 

on Apr. 22 2011 at 1:27 am

~Hope. Faith. Love~
a distant memory.~

I must admit , I was very skeptical in reading this at first. I was positive I would hate it. Surprisingly , I like it. The story has an aura of mystery to it that keeps you hanging on to every word. The vivid imagery definantly keeps the book interesting , and the plot and twists included make for a good novel. If I would have to give you constructive critiscm on something , it would be that your characters don't have enough background info , and I wished they were described more thoroughly. I feel as if your sentences are often times choppy-ish and the piece does not seem to flow correctly in some places. This is a nice novel to read , but  I feel like it could use some improvement. It also seems to me as if it is more appropriate for adults, and not teenagers. It's just something I think would be a level 12+. I hope you take this criticsm constructively and I hope I have not offended you in any way , and I am only trying to give you my perspective on your novel.

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare