Mo Sims | Teen Ink

Mo Sims

January 13, 2020
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I worked really really hard on this piece

My name is Mo Sims. I lived in a small rural town about 30 minutes outside of Kansas City. I still lived in the town where I was born. The town I have always lived in. Lived there for 32 years. Never moved far, only lived about 3 miles from the house I grew up in. I  owned a little plot of land, about 20 acres, mostly hardwood forest on my property with a bit of a clearing in the middle where my house an old barn and a shed stood. I had a long narrow twisty driveway that wound its way through the trees in the straightest manner that it could. Being that I had lived in this town all of my life, and it's not a real big place, everyone there knew my disorder. I have dissociative identity disorder. It’s a rare disorder that can make people have more than one personality. Apparently I have two. A good and a bad side. They never see each other so I don't really realize it, but in the back of my head it's always on my conscience. However, there's nothing I can ever do about any of it. But everyone in my town knew about it and honestly was sort of afraid of me and I hated it. People would go out of there way to avoid me and there was nothing I could do about it. They would see me walking down the street and they would cross over to the other side of the street so that they wouldn't have to walk past me on the sidewalk. If 

they saw me walking into a store they would try their hardest to stay on the other side and avoid me and then try to leave as fast as they could. My bad side got tired of it apparently and committed a terrible crime, and that's why I’ve been sentenced to live the rest of my life in this asylum.


When I was about 30 years old I was working in a decent sized outlet mall in the big city as a maintenance man. Mostly working on the water lines and the bathrooms and electrical and random stuff like that around the place. One day I had apparently hit my limit and my good side  seemed to completely leave and I was only stuck with the bad side. The evil side and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Over time he planned and prepared the mall for a mass crime. He had collected gallons and gallons of very harmful acid that he had been getting shipped in from China off of the black market. Over the course of two years I had managed to get my hands on over 75,550 gallon barrels of it and over the course of the last three weeks of being free, I had been taking the barrels to the mall and stashing them there. No one questioned me since I was the only maintenance man. I had to go out and buy all sorts of hose and multi way nozzles and on hook them all up in a way that when I hook it to their pumps it would hopefully pump out the acid at a semi even pace. I had decided that I will hook it all up then to the sprinkler system in the mall so all of the barrels are in a room that no one has access to besides me, and it couldn't have been more perfect. Also since there wouldn't be water going through the sprinkler systems it would be a good time to start a fire as well. So before I would turn on the pump for the acid I would first have it all hooked up and ready to go and then I would steal a gas truck. Once I got the gas truck to the mall the plan was to whip it into the back parking lot, hop out real quick and then turn on the pump system running throughout the mall. Then he would  drive the truck around front and put a brick on the gas pedal and let it go straight into the main entrance. So then there would be an explosion and the fire and no water to the fire out and it would be a mass revenge on the public for being so rude and unkind to me for all of those years before hand. 


The day had finally come and it seemed like it was going to be the biggest and most important day of my life. But at the same time I felt like when it was going on that there must have been a small piece of me somewhere deep inside of my body that had to have felt some remorse for the terrible act I was about to do, but I really don't remember any of it. It was almost a blur. But when the clock stuck 1:30 on a Saturday afternoon in November when the mall is the busiest, it all went down. 

All I had to do was go out and hijack a tanker truck and get it to the mall. So that morning I went out and just started to drive down the highways and past gas stations looking for gas tankers. I had finally found one on the interstate about 45 miles west of the mall. So I started following the truck hoping and praying that he would soon be taking an exit to either refill or empty out. After about a half hour of following him he finally put on a blinker and was taking the next exit. I had no clue whether he was full or empty so I decided that I would make up my mind depending on where he goes next. Luckily enough for me he pulled into a gas station right off of the interstate. He exited the truck and that was my chance, right there. As soon as his feet hit the ground I jumped out of my truck and tackled him to make sure that he wouldn't be able to try and pull me out of his truck when I hopped in. I was able to get in fast enough to where I had time to lock the doors so we were set. Now all I had to do was get back to the mall which was going to be difficult because I'm sure that the police had already been notified by the time that I had gotten back onto the interstate. I was almost half way when I saw the first squad car coming up behind me in my mirror. He had finally caught up to me and I was able to run him off the road and give myself some more distance between me the next officer that I knew wouldn't be far behind. It was only about a minute before I saw the flash of blue and red in my mirror again, but I was closer than I was before and that was all that I could ask for. At this point I only had about 15 more miles to go, but I wasn't sure if was going to be able to have enough time to actually get out and manually turn on the pump.However, it was already hooked up the malls sprinkler system, so all I needed to do was get there to be smoke and I knew that I could do that. So more than midway through I had to alter my plan. I would just have to go right into the parking lot and straight into the main entrance with the truck and get the sprinkler system to go off of the smoke that would be caused from the semi going into the mall. The only part that I didn't like was that I would have to tuck and roll out of the semi if I want to come out of it alive. 


I finally get to the mall and as I was going through the parking lot I had slowed the roll to a solid 30 miles per hour and about 80 feet from the front doors is where I bailed and crossed my finger that the semi kept going straight at least far enough to not run me over with the rear wheels of the trailer. Well, it worked but not just a few seconds after it crashed into the mall and burst into flames I was ground pounded by a whole gaggle of swat team officers and instantly taken into custody. As I was pulled into the back of swat car after being cuffed and shackled, I saw the mall going up into flames and all of the people running out with burns from the acid and the fire and I remember one very small piece of emotion at the very second and it only ran through my head for just a brief second but it was the thought of, Oh good lord what have I just done. 


It wasn't long for my court date to roll around. I was only in jail for about a period of 6 weeks until my final court hearing. My lawyer had told me because of the disability to plead insanity instead of guilty. I was then sent to an insane asylum somewhere what seems like the middle of nowhere Montana There were no windows or a clock in the back of the vehicle they had me in there so I had no sense of time other than that I knew it was light out when I was walked out of the courthouse. It was what seemed to be about a 10 hour car ride. In what direction though? That I was uncertain of. When we arrived at the facility it was surrounded by tall, full pine trees so there was no where to see around and I was completely lost. I was then taken inside and processed into the system. Given a uniform and thrown in a cell. So that's what I did and I've been locked up in here ever since.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.