Sunlight | Teen Ink

Sunlight

March 7, 2019
By TMal01 BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
More by this author
TMal01 BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This piece was originally crafted my senior year of high school, but turned into a longer piece later on. 

I always try to include a little LGBT+ in all my personal works, and being able to do so additionally in my classwork only made my love for writing grow. 

It was always cold, and it was always dark. The damp and dingy rooms in the academy were all the students needed, in Jamie’s opinion. The headmaster selected children to attend with very high standards. If the children were stranded or the world outside had hurt them, if they had no memory or no place to go,  if they were extremely obedient and followed the words of the academy to the letter, they were invited in. No one attending ever left, and those few who did never returned.

Jamie was a straight A, never disciplined, academy raised student; the only one remaining at the school to be exact.  They found it easiest to obey than to think of ways to make life exciting. They had always followed orders and enjoyed their safe life inside the academy. So why then, did they find themselves running off with a new student into the forest? The forest surrounded the academy, but students were never allowed outside. If they had ever left, the risk of instant death was unavoidable within a few seconds,  according to the professors. Who knew what creatures just waited to kill them or take them away? Why was it that the trees looked to be crooked and deranged in the way the branches twisted and curled like fingers and arms reaching out to grab them? They had always been told the world was always dark and dangerous. But the fact that they didn’t self combust the first few seconds they were dragged out caused them to allow being led further. If that wasn’t as he was told, what was the real reason the students weren’t allowed outside? Contradictory to the fear they felt running through, the pitch black that covered the sky was calming and familiar. The darkness and emptiness he was use to back in his dorm, back where he was raised and cared for. That was safe, and he shouldn’t be out here.

Yet here they were running. Running after a kid with sandy blonde hair, hypnotizing green eyes, and a never faded smile. The boy claimed his story was ‘oh so heart wrenching’, yet that smile of his never faded. Why was he so determined to show them whatever it was they were being led to? Why did they find the boy worth their attention?

“Almost there, Jamie!” the boy laughed. How could he laugh at a time like this? They were breaking the rules! Who knows what punishment awaited their return? Who knew what was waiting for them the deeper the ventured?

“I. . . never got your name.” Jamie recovered. They didn’t want the guy to think they were a wuss; they were almost 16 after all.

“Oh, sorry dude,” he chuckled and halted. “We’ve known each other for only a short time. I’m Lucas.” The hand that Jamie took was at least a thousand times warmer than their own. It also held a deeper complexion; almost as if it held  a golden tint. It was much different to their own pale and pasty skin tone.

“We are going to be in huge trouble when we get back.” Jamie stroded alongside the boy, hoping to try and eliminate a little bit of their  nerves.

They didn’t know what had initially got them to become close to the boy. Was it going from new doormates, to lab partners, to staying up late and watching the fire in their locked room fizzle out come morning? All this seemed to happen so fast, was it the boy’s intention? Entrance them and then drag them out into the dangerous world to be killed? What had enchanted him in the first place? Was it the fact that they were complete polar opposites? Where Lucas was a social butterfly wanting to make everyone happy, Jamie prefered to stay by themselves and stick their nose into a book. How Jamie was silent, uniformed, clean cut with dark hair and eyes. While Lucas had a loud, loose, and carefree persona that stood out wherever he went.

“If we go back,” Lucas corrected. “We passed the barrier. There’s no turning back unless you wanna forget.”

“Forget what?” Jamie asked and froze in his spot, suddenly finding himself very conflicted. “Where are you taking me? What are you trying to show me?”

“Sunlight.” Lucas grabbed Jamie’s hand and forcefully continued to lead.

“What?”

“Sunlight.” Lucas sighed, his smile finally fading for a more serious tone. “Geeze, they really do a number on you folks there.”

“What do you mean?”

“Haven’t you ever wondered what was outside the academy?” Lucas paused and looked up for a second before sitting on a log and motioning for Jamie to do the same.

“N-no. It’s my home, why would I ever want to be anywhere else?”

“What if I were to tell you there was more than the academy?” Lucas smiled once more.

“You already asked that before leading me out here.” Jamie rolled their eyes and crossed their arms. “And my answer remains unchanged. I believe that this is a dumb idea. I still see this trip as pointless.”

“You’ve never even seen sunlight.” Lucas laughed. “You have no say until you see at least one beauty the world has to offer.”

“The world is cruel and vicious!” Jamie snatched their hand back, the voices of their teachers ringing in their ears and escaping past their lips like a broken record. “The academy is the only safe place!”

“That’s just what they tell you to keep you in! Do you even know the name of the academy you were raised in?” Lucas too crossed his arms.

“W-well. . . . I. . . .”

“Exactly. It’s called the Academy of Obedience. It’s being  used in the war to train soldiers. It’s a prison for abandoned children to serve under Faction Night.”

“Faction. . . . .Night? None of this is making sence.”

“Jamie,” Lucas stood with a sigh. “I know none of it makes sense, but you have to trust me when I say you’ve been lied to. In there is the real danger. They raise you to be perfect. Then force you to fight in a war you want no part in.”

“You’re lying!”

“Then at least let me show you this one thing!” Lucas snapped, startling Jamie. Until this point, his voice had been cheerefull and level. “Allow me to show you sunlight, at least once. If you decide to return after that then . . . . then I understand.”

Jamie thought about the deal. “Fine.” He stood, slapping Lucas’ offered hand away. “Lead the way.” Lucas smiled and led them to a grassy hill.

“Do you even know what grass is?” Lucas teased, earning him a wack in the head.

“Where is it?”

“What?”

“This sunlight you’re so determined for me to see.”

“Oh, not for a few more minutes.”

“You bring me out here,” Jamie sneered. “Before bed check, before classes, before morning session, and now you expect  me wait longer?”

“Just a few more minutes, I promise.” Jamie huffed and took a seat. Lucas took a spot beside them.

Jamie decided to glare at Lucas as they waited, but Lucas wasn’t paying attention.

“There! It’s starting!”

“What is?”

“Sunrise!”

“How am I supposed to see sunlight if I have wait for a sunrise?” Jamie sighed. “No wonder you’re last of the class.”

“Shush, just watch.” Jamie rolled their eyes and turned to the bright object rising into their field of vision. It was too bright, Jamie had to cover their eyes for a second for them to adjust. As soon as they could properly see, their eyes widened. The sky was no longer a dark and blanket of black, but a bright indigo. Colors were spreading that they had only learned of. Reds, pinks, oranges, lighter blues, whites, even violets and yellows.

“And the heat you feel from the bright light,” Lucas beamed. “Is due to sunlight.”

“So. . . .that bright round light. . . . .?”

“The sun!” Lucas laughed. “It’s the sun!”

“But. . . .it burned out.” Jamie tried arguing, but their lessons suddenly made no sense anymore.

“You’re staring right at it!!” Lucas stood and spun around. “How could it be gone if you can see it right in front of you?”

“Are. . . . are there more things like this?” Jamie remained sitting, gaze never removing from the sun. “More beauty?”

“Much more!! My father is  just a few towns over. We can go there, and you can see EVERYTHING!”

“Everything. . . . . but what about the others? At the academy, I mean.”

“One step at a time,” Lucas smiled. “We test things out with you, make sure it’s safe for a Night member to be in enemy  territory, before we save everyone from their dim and gross castle.”

“And what if I’m not welcome?”

“Then we continue moving until you’re safe.” Lucas stood.

“Why are you so fascinated with me?” Jamie sighed.

“You’re not like the others,” Lucas shrugged, as if brushing the question aside all together. “You were in too deep to leave.”

“In. . . .too deep.” Jamie repeated.

“You’re the last person to have been born there.” Lucas explained. “All the others were either killed or joined the war.”

“So, you plan to use me to end the war?” Jamie still wasn’t definite on their purpose in Lucas’ plans.

“I plan on helping everyone, one way or another. If it means ending the war, then gladly.” Lucas frowned. “This pointless war has only led to bloodshed.”

“You’ve lost someone.” Jamie said not as question, but a statement.

“Yes.”

“Who?”

“Unimportant,” Lucas pulled the unexpecting teen up, causing them to almost stumble. “What matters is we go, before the academy find us.”

“What happens if they do?” Jamie’s eyes widened as Lucas started dragging him at a fast pace.

“We die.” Lucas stated bluntly. Jamie’s eyes widened. So it was true, he had nowhere left; nowhere but with Lucas.

“You’ve ruined my life.” Jamie frowned, but didn’t resist.

“You say that now, but you’ll thank me one day.” Lucas laughed and continued to pull Jamie along.  “Do you regret following me?”

Jamie had to think of their reply for a bit. “No.”

“Then you’ll be alright.” Lucas smiled and the pair continued on their journey.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.