The Challenge | Teen Ink

The Challenge

By erharvey, Naperville, Illinois
erharvey, Naperville, Illinois

Summary:

That next year with Cadets was the best year of my life. I got so much better so quickly with the training provided by the coaches. I didn’t knew it yet, but I was developing into one of the best young players in the area. That year we traveled all over the country playing against top teams each weekend. That season we won State and took 4th at Nationals truly proving that we could compete on the national level. Off the court I had moved my game from the back alley and into the local YMCA to play pick up everyday. 8th grade had just ended and I was entering the summer going into Freshman year. I was excited to train that summer with the Chapman High Varsity Team to prepare me for the upcoming season. That summer was unforgettable, but for all the wrong reasons. It was early on in the summer, maybe only a week or two out of school when my nightmare became reality. I had just finished up at the Y and was heading to my car. I pulled out my phone to check my texts when I got pulled down the stairs. I rolled down the last two in agonizing pain as my shoulder landed hard on the concrete. I layed in pain when I looked up to see a figure standing over me. “Hey Owen remember me?” he asked. It took me a second, but I finally recognize the face. It was that new kid who tried out for cadets.

Ethan H.

The Challenge