Unbroken | Teen Ink

Unbroken

By ArkhamPhantom9, Ionia, Michigan
ArkhamPhantom9, Ionia, Michigan

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get-Forest Gump

Author's note:

The tv show Lost inspired me to write this piece.

Pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop.
“SHE IS OVER HERE! SHOOT TO KILL!”
Pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop.

A woman’s terrified scream rings out into the ghost-quiet air. Suddenly, the gunfire ceases. It gets very quiet very fast.
Where the heck am I? I think to myself, scared of what is happening.
I sit up slowly on what I think is a chair. I am still adjusting to the blinding light of the sun. I look around me, taking in everything at once.
To my horror, there are bodies, many dead bodies. No one was moving, not even an inch.
My wife, where is my wife? I am terrified that she is the woman that got gunned down.
I look around, I don’t see her anywhere. But what I do see is a horrifying sight. Everything is engulfed in flames, and the  flames are everywhere. Debris from the plane is everywhere on the rough, sandy beach.
What the heck happened?
I unbuckle my seat and stand up, slowly. There are roaring waves in front of me, and that is it. Behind me, I see dark wood, and leaves, many leaves. It is a forest, a humongous forest. I try to walk forward and stumble to the ground. I am lying on the beach. My face, covered in sand.
Where the heck am I? I ask myself.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the Fasten Seat Belt Sign. If you haven’t already done so, please stow your carry-on luggage underneath the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin. Please take your seat and fasten your seat be…”
I have heard this song and dance before many times, on all of my other business trips. We have never crashed before so I tend to not listen to the rest of the announcements. Tomorrow I land in Japan where I will talk to a CEO for a discount on the goods shipped to my company. This is a big meeting so I can’t blow it. I am the manager of my branch called Bread Industries. I am bringing my wife, Ellie, with me on this trip. She is very supporting of me and normally travels with me on my trips. I am a multi-billionaire and plan on staying that way for a very long time. I am really good with the numbers, but sometimes common sense isn’t my strongest suit in situations. I donate to charities often and send money to places where they can get supplies for Africans.
“Excuse me Mr. Brenner. May I offer you or your wife any refreshments?” a flight attendant asked me kindly.
“Ellie, do you want anything?”
“No thank you,” she responds sweetly.
“I won’t take anything either, probably gonna take a nap to shorten the trip.”
The flight attendant responds with, “Okay, but if you need anything, just find me and I can get it for you.”
“Okay,” I respond. She walked away to serve someone else.
“Honey, I am going to take a nap. Can you tell me when we get to Japan?”
“Of course.”
“Okay, thank you.”
The seat is made out of leather, very comfortable to me. I lay back and slowly close my eyes, and fall asleep.

“Honey. Holden,” Ellie is shaking me, trying to wake me up.
“What? What?” I ask, very confused at why she would wake me up now, it couldn’t have been that long of a nap.
“They made an announcement for everyone to buckle their seats after some turbulence happened, the whole plane shook,” she sounded very scared.
I buckled my seatbelt, “I’m sure it was noth-”
I heard the screeching of metal tearing and I look behind me, and what I see is horrible. I see it all in slow motion. The rear end of the plane split off from the front like a cap being pulled off of a marker, it just popped off almost. The wind blew into face, pulling me back against the seat. Thankfully we were both buckled or we would have been thrown into the air. Things fell down from above our seats. I put it over my mouth, I felt oxygen rush into and through my body. I felt my insides almost rise up into my chest area. The plane was going down, and it was going down fast. To the right of me, I saw a pregnant woman crying, a child maybe over the age 6, not knowing why she was crying, or what was going on. Behind them, I saw a husband, trying to get the oxygen thing onto his unconscious wife’s mouth. And behind them, darkness.

I remember now, I was on the plane to Japan to do business. I was in a plane crash, a horrible plane crash I remember now. I need to find Ellie.
“ELLIE! ELLIE!” I am shouting at the top of my lounges, hoping she will hear me.
She is nowhere to be found, nowhere at all.
If she isn’t on the beach, maybe she is in the woods I think to myself.
I run into the forest, hoping the worst hasn’t happened. I am sprinting at full speed now. A business suit is not the most comfortable thing to run in, especially down below. The bushes, shrubs, and tree limbs are scratching and cutting my face. But I don’t care, I need to find her before she…
I don’t believe my eyes. I crumple to my hands and knees, and feel something go down my face that is not sweat, but tears. Tears from the horrific scene that I am witnessing. There is so much blood, bright red blood dripping from the white dress she was wearing on the plane. I see see that the blood is. I see the blood is pouring from her gut. I look up even further and see that her wrists are wrapped up with rope. Her arms are spread out like wings, like she is an angel.
I don’t think this happened from the plane crash, I think internally.
She has been brutally murdered. Murdered isn’t even the right word for this, she has been butched.
I pray to God still crying, “Why Lord, why was she taken from me? Why?”
The tears are just pouring out now, I can’t control it and I won’t try. I sit here for some time, crying, before I speak again. “Just let her have a good life up there, in Heaven.”
At this very moment, I feel like ending it all. I could be with Ellie forever in Heaven. But that is not going to be my death. I will find the people that did this, and I will kill them. I will avenge my wife, and make them pay for doing this. First though, I will bury her like she would have wanted to in this situation. I climb up the tree and release the ropes from branches that they hang on. Her body, like a marionette, falls and crumples to the ground. I jump out of the tree, it is not a very long drop, and pick her body up. I carry her like I did out of the church when we got married. Like Mr. Fredrickson did with his wife in Up. I carry her out to the beach. I set her down gently into my seat from the plane. I don’t even have to look for a shovel, I know there wasn’t one on the plane. So, I get down on my hands and knees and start digging. I took me about two hours to dig a hole deep enough for her to lay down in. I take her out of my seat and set her into her grave. I take my seat and put it at the head of her grave, so I know this is where she is buried. I fill the grave with the sand and sit next to it.
Why did she have to leave me like this? Why?
I lay back and think about the events that have happened today. The plane that was heading to Japan that I was on crashed. Am I sure that it crashed though? I think really hard, what happened before the hull broke off? I remember a shaking on the plane, but I also remember hearing a whirring sound almost, and a sound that sounding like a bomb going off. I suddenly realize that our plane did not crash, we were blown out of the sky.
It must have been the same people that killed Ellie and left her hanging.
They will pay for what they have done.
It is getting dark out I noticed, so I get up and look for anything that I could make a shelter with. I look around and some of the debris is not on fire anymore, thank goodness, but it doesn’t look like the kind of material I would use to make a shelter. I won’t be able to make a shelter, sadly, but I can make it sort of liveable. So I reenter the forest and look for some leaves that I could use for some sort of pillow. On the ground, I see many leaves that have fallen and pick them up. I carry them out onto the beach and set them in a pile. I repeat this until I have a big enough pile to lay my head on. I lie down right next to Ellie’s grave.
I think to myself, how am I going to survive this? How am I going to live on this island with limited resources and crazy people that are going to try and kill me? How am I going to escape off of this island?
These questions cannot be answered tonight, while I am tired and have had a very stressful day. I lay on my side, and slowly close my eyes, falling into a deep and heavy sleep.
I wake up, having almost no sleep. I could not fall asleep, not after what had happened. But the good thing is is that I have a plan to avenge my wife. I plan on killing everyone that was a part in her death.
I sit up, and sit next to Ellie for awhile. Eventually I get up and start step one of my plan, get supplies for the journey.
I think to myself, I need food, water, and a heat source if I don’t find them today.
I start walking around the beach, looking for water bottles or the food trolley that they have on planes. Looking around, I try to find bags. Those are the big supply sources. Those will have clothes, water bottles, and even maybe some snacks. And to my surprise already, I think I may have found the jackpot. In the distance of the beach, I can see the cabin of the plane. The cabin holds a lot of the luggage on a plane. People put their bags above their seats so they can easily get something on the plane, maybe a water bottle.
I start running to the cabin, hoping there will be some supplies I can use. I run past all of the other plane parts, the wings, the c***pit, everything, to get to the cabin. As I am maybe 50 feet away, I see a movement in one of the windows. I immediately come to a halt and look for something to hide behind. I see some metal, the c***pit I passed, and really nothing else. I haul to the piece of metal and crouch behind it.
“They’re here,” I silently whisper to myself.
I peek my head out a little to see if they saw me. They are still moving around inside the cabin so I don’t believe they saw me.
I think to myself, I need to see what they are doing and maybe see if they have a camp.
I keep looking to see if they are moving and they are. There is not much cover between the cabin and this piece of metal, but there is some. I see a c***pit and a wing. The door is c***pit is closer to me so I decide to crouch over to that first. I peek again one last time to see if they won’t notice me and they don’t. I move out very quickly. I am crouching so low that my legs are feeling like jello and I am going to collapse any second. I finally am there, and they didn’t see me. One more obstacle and I think I will be able to hear what they are saying.
Without looking, I run out and there they are. They have bags full of stuff, and they are looking right at me. One has a scruffy beard and looks pretty buff, he also has an AR slung around his shoulder. The other is scrawny and really short. Without thinking, I run right at them. Both of them drop the bags and pull out their guns, but they are too slow, I am already right there. I launch myself at the brute and tackle him, causing him to drop his gun. I punch him in the face multiple times. I pick up his gun, and turn around. 
As I am turning around, I hear a loud gunshot. The scrawny one is holding a pistol, aimed straight at me. He looks scared, almost as if he didn’t want to shoot me. I feel an excruciating pain in my stomach. I look down and there is blood flowing down my chest. The gun slides out of my hands and I fall down.
I laying down now, the side of my face in the rough, coarse sand. All I can see is the scrawny kid dragging the brute across the sand into the forest with bags slung around his shoulder.
The supplies, he is taking the supplies, I suddenly realize. But I am too weak to get up and chase them.I stay laying in the sand and slowly close my eyes, waiting for the worst to come.
My eyes slowly open to the moon, the bright moon. I look around, and see I am still by the cabin. I start to stand up but I feel a pain in my stomach. I look down and see my shirt is drenched in blood.
Oh God, I got shot, I suddenly remember. I feel another pain though, it is like I am laying on something. I roll over and see that I was laying on a gun, the same gun the big guy had. I slowly stand up and feel the pain in my stomach.
I need to treat this pretty soon, I understand. I wonder if there is any medical supplies in the cabin still.
I slowly walk into the cabin. There are still people in the cabin, dead people. The grotesqueness of all of the decaying bodies makes me vomit on the spot. It leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. They are all slouched over and lot of them have oxygen masks covering their faces. The rest of the oxygen masks are hanging above seats where no one is sitting. Above the seats are open cabinets, where the people put their bags. I look in each one and every bag is missing.
There is no way that scrawny kid carried all of the bags by himself. It doesn’t add up. But I realize that maybe they made more than one trip, and they didn’t bother me because I looked dead. Well I might be dead in a couple of hours if I don’t stop this bleeding.
I remember a time when I was a teen and I cut my hand with a knife by accident. I was cutting vegetables for my mom to help her get dinner ready. I was cutting really fast and I missed and cut my hand. We look for a band-aid but there wasn’t one big enough for the cut so my dad took a rag and tied it tight around the cut so the blood wouldn’t escape too much.
From this story, I realize that I need to stop the blood circulation. I take off my already damp, bloody shirt. I take the body of the shirt and fold it almost. I then take the sleeves and and tie them around my stomach, making sure the fold is still good. The fold goes around my wound and I pull tight. I feel pain at first, but it gets better.
I realize that I am really dehydrated, I don’t think that I have had water in ages. I suddenly sprint out to the ocean. When I arrive, I drop on my hands and knees and scoop water into my hands, and transfer that into my mouth. I do this for awhile until I am satisfied that I have had enough.  Each handful is more refreshing than the last. Eventually I am satisfied and lay down on the beach.
I think of how I am going to get off of this island. And then I understand how. It has been right in front of me this whole time, but I overlooked it. I jump up and look on the beach for the c***pit. I remember being by it earlier, but I forgot that they have a radio installed so they can talk to other pilots. I run past the cabin and the wing and then I see it. I continue running almost out of breath, until I get there. When I get to the c***pit, it is bigger than it looks from a whiles away. I notice that there is no entrance to get in from the front. So I go to the back and it is wide open. It must have been torn of the plane. I climb in with no problem and look around. There isn’t much but the controls for the plane in front. I walk over to the captain’s seats, and there they are, both of the captains. I keel over and try not to vomit. They both looked dead so there was no point in trying to save them. I carefully walk past the captains and I look for the radio on the controls. There are altitude measurements, and other controls. I look farthest left and there are wires protruding out from the control panel.
Gosh darn it, they took the radio. Maybe they took it to where they went with the bags. I need to go back to the cabin and see if I can track them somehow.
I leave the c***pit and go back to the cabin to see if there is anything I can use to track those other people. When I get there look to see if there is a blood trail to follow from the scuffle I had earlier with the brute. There is no blood trail but I notice that the sand is deeper in like a line entering the forest. I pick up the assault rifle from my scuffle earlier and follow the trail until I get to the entrance of the forest. I look deeper into the forest and see a piece of clothing. I go into the forest until I get to the clothing. I see it is a Nike Elite shirt, probably that of a kid’s size.
There is no way that those men have shirts this size. It must have been from a bag on the plane.
I look around for another piece of clothing. I don’t see anything at first, but when I glance up at the sky, I see smoke. It is pitch black, almost as if someone is burning something.
It must be those guys, probably celebrating the fact that the island is theirs now. If I follow the smoke, maybe I can radio for help. So I do just that, I walk deeper into the forest, listening for the crackling of fire and the voices of men. After a couple of minutes I hear laughter and singing. As I get closer, the voices get louder. They aren’t saying anything, just laughing. I get close enough and am able to see them. Five men are dancing around a fire and laughing. I recognize the scrawny kid, which probably means the brute is probably resting. But I notice that the scrawny kid is holding something in his hand but it is hard to see because he keeps moving. So I wait for them to settle down. Luckily it didn’t take long and eventually they settled down and sat around the campfire. While I was waiting I did notice some things about the place. They have two guard towers with snipers in each. They look kinda bored so it won’t be hard to take them out. I won’t be able to get the radio until they are taken out though. I also noticed that there is a a big house in between both of the towers, almost like a king’s palace. That is probably where their leader stays. There are also two men with guns protecting the men that are dancing. They look like militia members or people from some sort of military. So, the men settled down and the scrawny kid stayed standing. He looked like he was about to give a speech.
Dear friends,
I am here to say that everyone from the plane we shot down is dead. I, Dwight, killed the last one on the beach today while Jim and I were collecting their resources,” he takes a short breathing pause,”I would also like to announce that I took the liberty of making several trips to get all the resources and this little radio that we will burn in a little bit.
At this I realize, I need to attack soon or else I will have no way of getting off of this island. I look at the guard towers and see that there is a ladder to climb up the top. Luckily it is close the edge of the forest so I can easily sneak up there. I make my move. I slowly crouch on the outer edge of the forest, making sure no one sees me, until I make it to the tower. Then I start climbing the ladder. Rung by rung. No one sees and no one would expect to. Apparently, I am dead. I can use that to my advantage. As I get to the last round, I peek my head over the top and see if the sniper is paying attention. He is not, he actually decided to sit down and take a break. Now is the perfect time to attack. I silently climb up and sneak up on him. When I can practically breathe down his neck, I take my hands, put them around his throat, and pull in opposite directions. He crumples to the floor but I make sure it doesn’t make a lot of noise.
I have just killed a man, I realize. Was it worth it? Yes it was. They brought this upon themselves. You can’t go around killing people without karma coming and biting you in the ass.
I take his sniper and look around again. No one is startled or anything. Everyone is still oblivious to the fact that I just killed one of them.
Getting the other sniper is going to be a problem, I notice.
“And now, I am going to dispose of this damn radio,” I hear Dwight say to his comrades.
I look down and Dwight is about the throw the radio. I take my AR and look down the reticle, aiming my shot. When I see that my crosshairs are over his head, I pull the trigger. Blood shoots out of his head faster than the speed of light. The radio however, falls out of his hand, into fire.
“NOOOOOOO!” I shout to the men at the top of my lungs. Everyone at the base turns and looks at me for a second. Then they aim their guns at me and fire. I duck down down behind the ledge as hundreds of bullets fly by right where I was just standing. I swear the bullets fly by for about a minute before they stop.
“Who are you and where are you from?” one of the men ask me.
“My name is Holden Brenner. I am from the United States and I was on a plane crash. You monsters killed my wife,” I respond coldy.
“We only killed her because she threatened to kill us first.”
Ellie would never do that. I need to shoot soon or they are going to kill me. I hear someone climbing the ladder to my right. They are distracting me and sending people up here. I aim my gun right above the ledge where the ladder is. He is getting closer now.
To make it seem I don’t know about this guy I respond with,”But Ellie would never do that.”
He is about to reach me, I aim my gun right above the ledge and his head peeks up. I pull the trigger again and five shots go into his brain. I look over the edge as he is falling.
I peek over the side where the sniper is and he is aiming right at me. I duck as soon as he pulls the trigger. I peek again and aim right for his nose and pull the trigger. He crumples to the ground as I am already aiming for the other men. So now with the snipers gone, the only people I have to worry about are the militia men with the assault rifles. There is one guy right below me and the other is right in front of me. Under stress I just spray in his general direction and eventually hit him about five times in the stomach before he fell to the ground. The four guys dancing around the fire must have ran away scared because they are nowhere to be seen.
I check to see how much ammo is in my clip. I pop the clip out, nothing left. I start to loot the sniper whose neck I snapped. He has a knife on him and the sniper. Since the guy is right below me the sniper is not he best option for this situation. So I take the knife and slide down the ladder. When I get to ground level I go into full awareness mode. I know he is on the opposite side of the tower, but he may have moved. I crouch down and slowly make my way over to his last sitting. He must have moved, but I don’t know where to. I look around and see the palace between the two guard towers. The doors are wide open, almost as if
That is where he must have gone, I think to myself. As I walk up the stairs, I know this is either going to be my ticket to freedom, or my utter death. I walk through the archway and there are two people at the far end. Someone is kneeling at a man in a throne, probably the leader of this island. As I approach the men, they turn and look at me, terrified.
“That is the man! That is the man that killed everyone out there!” the kneeling man says the leader.
When I am about 15 feet away from them, I stop. I observe that the leader is older. He looks almost Jesus like. White beard, long white hair, and wrinkles. He is in robes.
“So,” the leader says slowly,” you are the man who has killed my whole fleet.”
“Yes sir, and I am not afraid to kill more if I have to,” I say cold-heartedly.
“There will be no need for that. All I want to know is why you had to kill my men, they did nothing to you.”
“They murdered my wife in cold blood. They had it coming for them.”
“They did not know she was your wife, they thought she was a deranged psychopath.”
The kneeling man I see is moving his arm to his foot. A foot holster can carry a pistol I remember from my training in the military. I take off at him, knife in hand. He is able to pull his pistol out but I am too fast. He is in the middle of aiming his gun at me when the knife enters his neck as swiftly as cutting cheese. I pull out the knife and let it fall from my bloody hands. The man crumples to the ground, blood flowing from his wound.
“I am not ashamed for what I have done these past days. You shot my plane out of the sky, you tried to kill me on numerous occasions. All I wanted was to live a happy life. And you took that away from me,” I say furiously to the leader, not looking at him, just at the dead man. When I look up, the leader is holding something in his hand. It looks like a marker at first, but I actually see that it is a detonator, and he has a bomb strapped to his chest. “Sir, what are you doing?” I asked worryingly.
“There is no point in living anymore. I have lived a life. I will not say that it is a good life, but it has been a life,” he says with no emotion at all.
I start to back away towards the entrance but before I get too far he says,”goodbye, Mister. Have a good time, I hope you enjoyed your trip,” he says satisfyingly as he detonates the bomb. I turn and run but not far before I hear a huge explosion and am blown to the ground. My face hits the granite floor and I hear a crack. I feel an excruciatingly painful feeling in my leg. I look back to see that I am missing a leg.
“AHHHHHHHHH!” I scream as the pain hurts more and more. I can’t stand up and walk out so I crawl.
As I crawl out of the palace, I see all of the people that I have killed. It is a bloody mess. The fire has gone out and it has starting downpouring. My left leg hurts like a son of a gun. I crawl through the forest very slowly. There are no animals on the island which is strange to me. I can’t believe I did not notice it before. I crawl for about 30 minutes before I see the edge of the forest where it meets the beach. It is very far away. I hear something very loud over the noise of the rain though. Almost like propellers of some sort. I look above the treetops and see a shape go past the treetops. A helicopter, I have been saved. I am surprised and overly excited at the same time. I try to crawl faster as I can see on the beach the chopper landing. I muster enough strength to stand up on my right leg and hop to the beach. I use trees as leverage when I get tired and rest. As I get closer to the beach though I see shapes moving around and the chopper hasn’t landed yet. The men that were dancing around the fire and left. They called the chopper? I see something red glowing on the beach. It is smoky and flying into the air. It is a flare, a signal device to call for support or signal help. I am still hopping over to the beach as the chopper lands. The pilot opens his door and says something to the men but I can’t hear what they are saying. Next thing I know, I hear gunshot and the pilot drops out of his seat onto the beach. There is a copilot and he pulls a pistol out  and shoots the man the murdered the pilot at point blank range. The crazy man crumples and the other men team up on the copilot and end his life too soon. I am about twenty feet from the edge of the forest as the men enter the chopper. I am hopping as fast as I can but it is too late. They lift off from the ground as soon as I step on the beach. I fall face first on the beach and crawl. I crawl over to the dead pilot. I look for his holster and he has a pistol. This is my last chance to escape this God forbidden island. I take it out of the holster and shoot into the air six times hoping to draw the attention of the men in the chopper. The chopper turns around and sees me. It sits in the same spot for about a minute before turning around and flying away.
I lay on the beach and start crying. Not because I did not escape the island, but because I am going to die on this island.
I crawl over to the grave of Ellie, my beautiful wife. I lay down next to her. The blood that is oozing from my left leg is causing me to hallucinate and lose consciousness. I remember all of the great times I had with Ellie. From the day we fell in love, from just two days ago when we woke up and went to the airport. Who would have known our last conversation would have been on a plane. As I am remembering all of these great memories, I slowly close my eyes and take a nap. I know at this moment, that this is going to be a long nap, a nap I take forever. One that I will never wake up from.