Titus | Teen Ink

Titus

March 26, 2018
By gerdeand BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan
More by this author
gerdeand BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I had a class project to create and write a story about survival. In this I decided to write Titus. 

He stared out the window and pictured his mother as she was bombed from above in the war of 2027. He pictured the blood dripping from her head and hitting the ground with a splash. He pictured her screams as they echoed through the smoky air and up into space. It was hard to imagine what it was like to see the bloody scenery and the horror the poor families faced when they were nothing but innocent. China had no reason to do this, they already won the war, they got what they wanted, to rule the world. But all they wanted was to kill America.

Titus walked along the rail where his chains would make a big clunk with every step he took. He tried to ignore the blistering pain coming from his feet from walking the fence. It was hard for him to breath because of how dirty and grey the air was that surrounded him. Titus stared out through the gate and could see the capitol building. Or what was left of it. When Titus returned home, he was greeted with a pat down from the soldier that stood outside his door.

Titus thought to himself “Why can’t I live with my father?”

Here in the Republic of China, formerly the United States, you live alone in a shack with a twin bed a sink and a bathroom. You go work in your capital of your state and get assigned a daily job like making food for the soldiers or or walking the fence around the city to no one can get in or out.

Welcome to the United States, 2041 Titus thought sarcastically to himself.

He missed his father who was working now in California, and his brother who was in Maine, and his sister who was in Texas. He hated living in stinky Virginia where you could smell the waves before they even hit the shore because they smelled as bad as a slave ship coming into port.

Titus walked into the bathroom to freshen up before he settled into bed. His toothbrush was chained to the sink just like everything else in the country. No one can use toothpaste to brush their teeth because they're worried that if we have some we can make a bomb and get out of this crazy place and run away. That's why no one has ever escaped. That night as Titus fell asleep under the smell of smoke he dreamed of escaping and living off the grid and living a happy life away from destruction. He really did dream, but no one has ever escaped. He knows if you attempt to escape you'll be shot and taken to the square where you will be publicly whipped to death.

“BOOM”

Titus’s entire shack shook from the thunder that swallowed up the city. Titus looked outside to see the sky glowing with lightning. He looked down to see the mud rising from the water hitting it with such a hard spash and the mud rising to his ankles. Then he saw it. A lone soldier walking down the street. He ran back inside his shack and cleaned off his feet and thought to himself, Who would be out here right now during this storm?

Titus tried to calm himself down because he knew that if there was ever any soldiers out in the middle of the night someone had escaped and they were keeping patrol on everyone else. Although this had never actually happened here, he heard rumors of it happening up in Michigan, they said he dived into Lake Erie but drowned after seven hours of swimming. he could just not hold on anymore.

The next morning when Titus woke up there was soldiers everywhere and there were people being forced out of there shacks and walking down to the capital for an emergency assembly. Just then a soldier broke down the door and grabbed Titus and threw him out the door. He  hit the ground with a thud and landed on his hand and heard a loud crack.
“Get up slave and get to the capital, there's a very important assembly.”
Titus got up and shook off the mud on his clothes. Then he started walking towards the capitol building. As he walked everything around him was soaked with water, the some of the insides of the buildings had water in them because the water levels rose so high over the night.

By the time Titus had walked all the way to the capitol building his bare feet were covered in mud just adding to the nastiness of them because of his painful blisters. Although the mud made the blisters start to feel better after a few minutes.

When the assembly started the virginian leader Dr. Chang came out and told us the situation of which what had happened the night before.
“Last night during the storm captive M536 escaped somehow and we are trying to track him down. But in the meantime as punishment for M536’s actions all the captives report to the square and you will be gifted with 5 whippings from our fine soldiers. Goodbye.”

A look of horror flashed across Titus’s face when Chang said those words. You see two years ago when his friend Remus dropped a crate of apples, Remus was taken to the square and was whipped to death. Titus feared for his life. His own mother was killed by the chinese in the war of 2027 and now they were coming for him.
“Hey, are you okay?  You don't look to good, your really pale?” Another captive said to him.
“Im fine,” Titus replied.

Titus could remember the last words of his mother before she was killed
Don’t trust them. Stick to your gut and get out of there before they get you. Find Dad and you brother and sister and get out of here. It's too late for me. I love you so much Titus and I will see you someday up there.Titus’s mother pointed up into the sky signifying heaven. “If they try to get you run away and live your life, not their life. I love you.”
Titus’s mother ran outside to jump in a tank when a bomb was dropped on it and time stopped. All Titus could see was the blood dripping from her mother and all he knew was the fact that she was dead. The next thing he knew he was sitting in a hospital with a boot on watching Washington D.C. on T.V. as it burned to the ground.

How could Titus ever get out of here? Titus decided that the best option for himself to get out of this crazy place was to use the emergency escape exit from the Capital. He would just go through it, and the emergency exit leads outside of the gate to another camp. But at that camp the fence wouldn’t be activated.

Titus made his break when everyone else was off at the square getting whipped. He finally made it to the door of the exit, and it squeaked because it was never oiled. He walked through the long dark tunnel before he was able to see any kink off light.

“Success,” Titus thought to himself.

But when Titus saw where the light was coming from, he made a silent yelp. Standing before him was a giant soldier with a pistol aimed at his head.
“Come with me, or die alone, here, in this dark tunnel where no one will ever find you,” said the man to Titus.

The man brought Titus back out of the tunnel and placed him in the whippings line. He then placed a tag on him that read. I HAVE BEEN BAD, DUBBLE MY WHIPPINGS. Then the soldier left and the only people that were left were the captives waiting to be whipped. Titus started to cry, he would never get out of here. That was the only way out he thought. The tears dribbled down his cheek. Then he thought of something. If there is a fire in the bottle factory, it could blow up the entire Capital. He could pull the fire alarm there and create a distraction for him to get out. Then he left.

Titus ran back to his shack and packed up all of his things. He ripped the toothbrush off of its chain in the bathroom and took the hand warmers from the hidden safe behind his bed. That's all he had except for the clothes on his back and the shoes that he just put on. Titus looked outside and from a distance he could see the whippings being presented and he knew it was worth the risk to try to escape from this cruel world. He snuck over to the bottle factory and got inside without being seen. He could hear people talking somewhere in the factory. He waited them out until he heard silence then he pulled the factory alarm the sounded all over the district because it meant all hands on deck for the making of bottles and there was a big shipment. With the distraction of the factory Titus ran to the fence and swung from a tree to get across it without being electrocuted and then when he got across he ran like he was running for his life.

Titus’s journal entry, day 1: “Poison Ivy hurts a lot. I don't recommend getting it. Today I escaped from the Virginia capital, and now I am living in the wild alone. I already got poison ivy and it itches so bad but you can't scratch it or it will get worse. I scraped my arm really badly because I tried to climb a tree but fell in the processes. But it's all good because I found some berries to eat and I don't have to deal with the chinese people anymore. I found a place to sleep tonight. I figured that up in a tree would be a good place to hide from any predators that want to eat me.”

Titus slept like a baby that night. He didn't have to worry anymore that he would be killed in his sleep by those evil people. When Titus woke up that morning his arm stung so bad he wanted to rip it off because the combination of the poison ivy and the scratch marks from the tree did not go well together. He tried to shake off the pain in his arm like he always did back in the capital. Titus began his daily journey but walking along the valley in hope that he would find a river of some sort in the valley. But he never found it.

Titus started to get really tired and started to get nauseous from no water. He decided that it was best that he took a rest and not use up so much energy at once. He leaned up against a soft tree with moss on it that felt like his blanket from his shack. And the ground felt like the couch  that he had in his shack which was actually his bed. He sighed with a relief now that he was comfortable under his tree. Titus had no trouble falling asleep there. A few hours later he was awoken by the sound of voices off in a distance.

“When I find that punk I am literally going to kill him.” A soldier said to another soldier in chinese.

Titus’s heart rate increased to an unsafe speed where he puked up the berries from yesterday. He didn't care that he just puked or that he was dehydrated.  He had to hide, and quick before the soldiers found him. He ran around looking for a tree to climb up high hide. He was able to finally find the straightest tree ever and the best climbing tree ever that stretched all the way up into the clouds. Then Titus started to climb.

As the hours passed Titus realized that by now they were gone and he was safe to leave the tree. The soldiers were long gone by now even though they were gone, Titus’s danger’s were far from over. The sun was starting to set and he could he the coyotes off in the distance howling at the rising moon. He could find no place to hide and be safe in the night time, so he decided to climb back up the tree in hopes he would be safe there. But without water or food and the last day he was far too weak to lift himself anymore. When he tried to pull himself up it felt like his arm was on fire and it gave him a horrible headache that pounded with every step he took. It felt like he couldn't move a step more when he collapsed on the ground. He just laid on the ground like a slug. At that point in time a pack of coyotes saw him lying there.

Titus’s heart pounded with the thought that these animals could kill him. He knew no way to get them out and away from him, so he just laid there hoping they would leave. He suddenly felt a cold snout touch his leg and he could feel it breathing on him. He trembled with fear so much that he even began to sweat blood from his head. Trying to calm himself down he opened his eyes and looked forward into the woods. He could see a white tailed doe off in the distance. Suddenly a coyote perked up and smelled the scent of the doe. Then the coyote started to run off towards the doe and the other coyotes followed. He couldn't believe they just left him there, untouched.

Later that night when he Titus thought he was all alone, he decided to write about his day in his journal again.

Titus’s journal entry, day 3: Last night I slept in a bush. It was a prickly bush and it was hard to get into. It was a hard sleep for me. An hour or so after the sun rose this morning it started to pour and now I’m soaking wet, but on the bright side I was finally able so get some water because before today I didn't have anything to drink for 2 days. It's hard living out here. I don’t even know how to make a fire because they never let us make a fire back at the capital. I just want to be able to relax and not have to worry about being eating or whipped to death. I miss home, I miss my family.

It had been raining all night, and the valley had started to overflow. When Titus woke up that morning the tree he was in was flooded all around, and he couldn’t get down from there. He had no choice but to jump from the tree and splash into the water.

“1, 2, 3” he thought before he jumped. Titus jumped from his tree and hit the water with more of a thud than a splash. The water around him was mostly slush and not water. The water was unbearably cold, it felt like it's 50 degrees below zero and you were thrown into the snow bare skinned. Titus got out of the water but it didn't help much because there was a cold breeze coming off the mountain to the west of him. It wasn't just one mountain, it looked to be an entire mountain chain. Then Titus remembered a trip from his past. He and his family went on a hiking trip though though a huge mountain chain around Virginia when he was just seven or eight. It took him awhile to think but Titus finally remembered that they called them the smoky mountains. He didn’t see why they were called the smoky mountains because they looked very beautiful and didn’t seem to have smoke on them.

Titus has had barely any food the last few days. In order to look for food he went up t0 the mountain in hope that he could find some type of food because without food his time was running out. After three and a half days of walking through the woods Titus’s feet were swelling so much that it looked like they were pregnant. The blisters on them burned with every step he took, and so he could barely even walk anymore. He still continued to move though because there was nothing down here.

As the temperatures dropped into freezing temperatures, Titus could feel his skin start to dry up. He had left at a very bad time of the year because it was mid december when he left and that is the beginning of the winter season. It didn’t help that winter was coming early this year. Titus wanted to rip his own hands off because they were so cold and painful. Back at the Capital around this time of year, you were given a wool coat and a wool hat and wool gloves to get you through the winter, so Titus never experienced being cold like this before. All he had was a shirt.

Titus continued his journey up the mountain day after day with each one colder than the other. He couldn't drink much water because it was cold and once your hand was cold you couldn't warm it back up again. Even his tears would freeze on his face after a few minutes of being drawn. Then Titus looked up for a minute and saw something that he  thought he would never see again. Smoke.

Titus raced up to the source of the smoke and found a small cabin by a river. He went up to the cabin and opened the door to find a warm room filled with blankets and coats and snow gear. But most importantly what it had, was food.

“What should I eat first?” Titus thought to himself. “The meat, or maybe those grapes, or some crackers. It all looks so good.”

Titus was about to eat the salmon that was on the counter when he heard a creek in the floor and the door shut behind him. He turned around and what he saw was the biggest man he had ever seen in his life. And he did not look at all happy. You could see the man's muscles through his coat. His shoulders were wider than the doorway. And what really scared Titus is that the man had a 22 in his arms.

“You have ten seconds to get out of my cabin before I shoot you and eat you for dinner!” The man said with anger.

“Let me explain, please, I was a captive in the capital of Virginia and I was able to escape. I have been out here in the wild for like 2 weeks now and I'm freezing to death. I was so cold and hungry I had to come in here and eat. Please I'll leave and then you can be alone, just please leave me be.” Titus explained to the man.

“How old are you?” the man asked.

“I estimated about that I’m about 23 or 24 years old sir.” Titus said to the man.

“Here son, stay a while and you can fill me in on what the Republic of China does, and in return I’ll let you stay here and eat my food.” said the man.

“Deal” Titus said to the man.

At that point in time Titus started to tell the man his story and what happened in his life. He started from when the war first started when he was nine or ten years old, and he explained how his mother had died. Titus knows nothing about any of his siblings or his father at this point in his life, so he just tries to think of them as dead because he knows he will never see them again. He explained how the Republic of China works and how he was able to escape from it.

“Sounds pretty rough how you had it.” the man said with tears in his eyes

“Yeah, its pretty rough being a captive here. The worst part is not being able to see my family because they separated us from each other. I miss my family so much.” cried Titus to the man.

Titus started to cry, and for the first time in a week his tears didn't freeze to his face. He just couldn't hold it in anymore. He was sad with his life. This was not at all what he expected it to be like out in the wild. He thought he could live care free and do whatever he wanted. Not only that, if you are caught crying in the Capital your sentenced to two whippings at the square, so all of his crying and emotions built up over the years came out at that moment. He hated his life.

Just at that moment a spark from the fire shot out and landed on his blanket, which quickly caught fire. The man who was taking care of him had gone out on a hunt so he wasn't there. The entire blanket burst into flames just as Titus got out from under it. It wasn't long before the flames had spread to the walls and on the floor. The fire seemed to topple over him, and so Titus couldn’t get out of there quick enough. The fire was hotter than the factory rooms back in the capital. Titus thought is he didnt get out of here quick his face would melt off. Now the entire cabin was on fire and so the flames surrounded titus so he couldn't get out. It was time for him to be brave. Titus ran through the flames and out the door. He was safe. At least for now.

Titus ran through the forest that had a blanket of white covering it. The snow he ran through came all the way up to his knees. The frigid temperatures began to gnaw at him once again. Just at that moment he ran into a pine tree full of snow. Titus was knocked down off his feet and laid there in the snow. His face was getting redder at the moment from the cold snow that laid upon his soft face. He knew he had to shake off the pain, so he got up and started running for his life once again. He ran until he came to a steep slope reaching all the way up to the clouds.

There Titus stood alone in the mountains,without a friend to talk to or to give a hand. It hadn’t taken long before his hands started to freeze up again after he left the cabin. He could see the ice crystals forming on his hands before the swelled and went numb. He winced in pain as he made a small yelp. He looked up at the peak on top of the slope and wondered to himself how he would ever manage to get over that. Maybe he didn't have to. Just at that moment Titus, who was all alone, went on his journey. Around the mountain.

As the longer Titus travelled the deeper the snow got. It was already up to his waist. His legs were frozen to his pants from trekking through the cold wasteland off the great smokeys. He could hear a faint noise off in the distance. A helicopter. Titus turned around and there he saw it coming closer and closer to him. At that moment they shot a spotlight on him and started to slow down so they could land. The propellers of the helicopter made an ear sucking noise they made me want to rip them off. Then the helicopter landed in the snow and a man stepped out. From a distance it was hard to tell who it was so Titus started walking towards the man. When Titus realized who this man was he went white. He was staring at the one and only Virginian leader, Dr. Chang.

“M389, come back now and this will be all over.” said Dr. Chang to Titus.

“No, you beat us, you abuse us. I want to live in peace. And my name is Titus, not M389. I’d rather die out here than come back with you.” Titus screamed to Dr. Chang.

“As you wish Titus. Shoot him, we don't want him anymore.” said Dr. Chang to his soldiers.

The soldiers raised guns to Titus making him run for his life. The soldiers chased him through the woods frantically until they came to a cliff.

“Where’d he go?” a soldier yelled to the other one.

“You think I know, I’d be chasing him if I knew.

Titus hid in a cave from the soldiers who he could hear taking just above him. Then he heard it again, that ear throbbing sound of the blades of helicopter fly right over him. Now not only did he think of Dr. Chang as a lier and a cheater and abuser, now he thought of him as a traiter. Then Titus heard the sound of the two soldiers shaking it, but at that time it was to late for them. Titus quickly got out of the cave when a soldier saw him.

“Get on the ground” the soldier said to Titus.

At this time both soldiers were on either side of him now. He was surrounded, and he knew his life was over. He knew he had run out of time. He knew that he would never see his family again. Titus slowly knelt to the ground and put his eyes to his hands. He even felt a warm trickle of liquid fun down his head. Titus was sweating blood. At that point in time it was hard to say what happened, but Titus made a smart move at accascly the right time. The next thing he knew  the two of them hit each other in the chest. Titus looked at both of them, and now he knew both of them had been killed.

Titus continued his trekk for another two weeks across the mountain until he was finally able to make it across. There before his eyes was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, the snow blanketing the evergreens as the sun rose behind him. Not a sound was coming from the mountain. It was complete silence. He could see the sun coming up signifying that it was time for day. It truly was a beautiful place.

“Who would ever destroy such natural beauty?” Titus thought to himself

Then it happened. Titus felt a strong shake in the ground. He could see the snow below him start to pull away, and he was next to go. Titus ran back up the mountain in hopes of not being swept away by the treacherous avalanche that  was sweeping the ground beneath him. He ran, but it was to late. Titus was being swept down the mountain with all the snow in the world coming with him. He screamed, but there was no one around to hear his death screams. Suddenly a very  large chunk of ice came up and hit him square in the back of the head. He winced in pain as he blacked out in the snow. And that is all Titus could remember at that point.

Titus awake to the sound of a bear walking across the snow above him. It was a black bear. He could see its bottom though the hole in the snow that was allowing him to breath. He bear growled and started to dig in the snow.

“What could that stupid bear be possibly looking for” he thought.

Then Titus saw the saddest thing he could of ever seen in his life. He watched the black bear pull a smaller bear out of the snow. It wasn't moving. He watched as the bear mourned from the despair from its lost. A few hours later the bear left with the dead cup, but the sadness of it it stayed upon that point. Titus laid there in the snow colder than ever. He had a sadness in his heart from what happened with the bear.

Titus started to dig out of the snow but it was too thick and it was hard to even move. He squirmed around until he was able finley to move his legs. He pulled himself through the snow, and based his feet on the snow banks on the sides. His pulled himself higher and higher until he could see daylight again. He looked around and saw a prickle of grass off in the distance. The snow was also starting to thin. Was it really happening was it becoming warmer. Titus couldn't believe it, it was Spring.

Titus was now walking down the mountain, and the farther he went the less and less snow he saw on the ground. But his troubles were far from over. He had not eaten anything for 8 days now, and he could collapse at any moment. All he had to drink for the last 8 days was the snow he ate, and now that was leaving him too. He moaned in agony as his stomach growled, and as he breathed his ribs rattled. The now setting sun shone in his eyes as he walked and the ground beneath him seemed to be falling too. Suddenly he felt an urge to puke. He just laid on his knees as the puke flowed from his body and melted the snow as it his it. He felt like he was going to die if he didn’t eat something soon. He just kept on walking.

Titus’s journal entry, day 98: My shelter fits me great, I can even fit my feet in. I was finally able to get some food today. I was so hungry, I saw a bunny so I launched a rock at it and hit it square in the head. I still don't know how to make a fire so I just ate the meat raw. All of the grass it back, and now I can eat it if I’m hungry enough. I don't really know where I am now, but if i had to guess i'm probably in west Virginia or Kentucky. If you're reading this I have either died or I published it into a book. I want to go home. I want to be free again.

Titus threw a rock down at the nut to crack it open, but the ground was to soft, so he put the nut on another rock to crack it open. The rock hit the other rock with a crack, and his nut was open. Not only that but he saw a spark when the rocks collided, and he could see smoke coming from them. He picked up the two rocks and smashed them together again, and another spark flew off the rocks. He then rejoiced with happiness knowing the fact he had created fire.

Later that night, Titus, for the first time in months he was warm again. He laid upon his shelter to make a comfortable seat. He was cooking some kind of animal that looked very delicious. Life was going good for Titus. Except he was still alone in the wilderness, and had dangers ahead of him.

“Am I ever going to live in a civilized place again? I shouldn’t have to worry about being eaten by bears or coyotes. Man, I really miss my toilet.” said Titus.

The next morning when Titus went out to find some food to eat, he could see some smoke coming from a distance away. He thought to himself if he made it back to that cabin he found a few months ago. But he soon realized that was crazy because he had been walking in the opposite direction from there. Titus decided that he would go check the place out. He thought maybe it was the captive that escaped before him.

When Titus arrived where the smoke had been coming from, he was amazed. It wasn’t just one person. It was a whole village of people. There were people in  gardens planting potatoes, and there were people building houses. This was amazing. Even off in the  distance he could see people mining out of a cliff. Titus walked out into the middle of the village, when a short bald man walked up to him.

“Howdy,” the man said, “Where are you assigned today?

“Um, um,” said Titus sputtering.

“Can’t speak,” the man asked.

“What is this place? Titus asked, “I escaped from the Virginian Capital, and I have been living out in the wild for about five months.” Titus explained to the man.

“Are you serious?” the man said, “Hey everyone, we got a runner.”

The people around the village started to run over to Titus and the man to see what the man was talking about. One by one they came, and the disbelief on there faces was horrifying.

“SPY,” a man screamed somewhere in the crowd. “He’s come to capture us and take us back to the capital of Maryland.”

“No,” Tutus said, “I escaped from the capital of Virginia, and I stumbled across you guys. Pat me down, search me for weapons, I have none.

So the people of the village did. They gathered around him and tied him to a tree. From there they striped him of his clothes and searched then. For hours Titus stood, tied to a tree, without any clothes watching the people of the village go about their day, by working in the fields, or building new homes. Hours later they had come back and gave him back his clothes and took him off the tree. It felt good to Titus to be off that tree.

“We are sorry for the whole tying you to a tree thing, we just had to be safe,” the man said to Titus, “Whenever a soldier comes we do the same thing. We usually take their weapons and kill them with it, but you didn’t have any.”

At that point in time the man started to tell Titus the village story. The tanks started to roll in. The Chinese had just taken over the United States. Marco saw a city bus sitting on the side off the road, so he ran over to it and started driving away. It was a full bus full of captives. Marco drove it out of the capital as the soldiers shot at the bus, but he was already gone. He drove on the highway with no cars, until he saw a tank off a ways.

Marco yelled, “Everyone off the bus and into the woods now!

The people started to get off the bus and walk into the woods just as the tank passed. The the person in the tank blew up the bus leaving the villagers stranded out in the middle of nowhere. With agony in their eyes, the people of the village walked through the woods fourteen miles off the road, when they stumbled across some magnificent land. They started building houses and mining from the cliff, as the village grew.

“And that’s how we ended up here,” the man explained, “You’re welcome to stay in the village here, if you willing to work.

“Its either stay here, or die out there,” said Titus to the crowd, “I will stay here.”

The kind people of the village started taking care of Titus, and nursed him back to health. Soon after that he started to work in the fields, planting corn for the summer. Although he still had to work, Titus was finally free from the Chinese people. He grinned through his work everyday, and loved it. Right now Titus was living in the dorms, but if he kept working hard he could move up and receive his own cabin. One day when lunch was called, Aiden the leader of the village stopped to talk to him.

“Titus, who do you think you are?” Aiden asked, “Your doing all of the leaders work without permission, your eating extra food, we need that food equally distributed. And also your starting to boss all of the people around.”

“Sorry,  just thought that because I had the most experience in the wild, and would be more inclined to be in charge than the people around here.” explained Titus.”

“You better watch what you do around here Titus, because if you don’, we cook you and eat you for dinner. You know that really good meat we had two weeks ago, that was a little boy that had his leg chopped off by an axe and bleed to death. We cook all that die here, better not be you.” Aiden explained.

“Okay, I’ll stop.” said Titus

“Good, then you won’t have to be penalized by death.” said Aiden

Titus walked into the dinning cabin after losing his appetite. He couldn’t even bare the thought that they cook and eat people that die. He asked to be excused from dinner because he wasn’t really hungry. Titus walked out of the dinning cabin and looked out at the lake by the village. He could see his own reflection in the water. A scruffy young man, with a mustache and a beard starting to grow back. He was wearing old shorts and the shirt he was wearing when he escaped the Capital.

“Is this who I am now?” Titus asked himself, “Am I just a scruffy man with nowhere to go. I miss my giant home in Holland. I miss the big lake. I miss Michigan.”

Titus looked across the oval shaped lake with agony. He saw a fish jump a few times and come back down and hit the water with a splash, making the water ripple around it. A tear started to trickle down the mans face and fall to the ground.

“How can I be the safest I have been in years, but still feel scared of losing my life? Titus asked himself, “I want to go home.”

“Yup we all do,” Aiden said as he sat down next to Titus, “It's hard living here with a thought that you might never get out.”

“What do you think would happen if someone tried to rebel in this so called country?” Titus asked

“Well, I think those people would be blown of the earth. If they even attempted it China would kill them instantly.” Aiden explained.

“But wouldn’t it be worth it to try? Do you want to rebel and maybe succeed or not and don’t succeed at all?” Titus asked.

“It would be a long shot, but if I were them I would at least try.” replied Aiden.
Aiden got up and started to walk back to the Dinning Cabin. Titus again was left alone by the lake with depressing thought sworming his head. Titus was happy, he had escaped the Chinese and survived. But he was still missing something in his life.

Freedom.

Titus ran back to the Dinning Cabin before Aiden was able to leave and stopped him. He asked him if he really meant what he said a few minutes before and Aiden replied yes.

“Then let's do it,” Titus said, “we can finally be free, and we can finally live the lives we deserve.”

“All right,” said Aiden, “I’ll round everyone up and tell them the good news. We are going to rebel.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.