To Far from Tomorrow part 1

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

A Weird Encounter and a Pile of Bodies

I met him in a field of dead people. Not a place you would like to meet someone I can assure you. The smell of decaying bodies and blood thickened the air. Crows were gorging themselves with flesh. It was like hell on earth. I’d seen many places like this in my lifetime. Not that it made it any less horrifying.

It was a normal day like any other. Until I saw something move in the distance. Instinctively I wanted to distance myself, but something within my heart

Thank you so much for reading my first chapter. Hope you continue to read it.

told me to go after it. I don’t know what was going through my head that day. All I remember was just walking towards the figure. Sword in hand ready to cut it down. Only as I got closer the figure took a smaller and different form. I slowed down and stared in surprise at the creature before me.

A child it was. His small hands and mouth covered in blood. Indicating that had already started feasting on the dead humans. It took him quite a while to notice me, but when he did he full on attacked me. I had to give it to the kid he had some back bone. Easily I kicked him away onto a dead man. “Don’t be stupid,” I warned.

The kid hunched over like an animal and showed me a small knife. Probably from one of the corpses. “So your a cannibal and a thief,” I retorted.
   As I took a closer look at him I could understand why. He could barely keep himself upright with those skinny legs and arms. His bones jutted out as if he were a skeleton and his eyes were veiled. He sure was a sight to behold. Carefully I set my sword down and crouched down in front of him. “Where are you from?”
   The kid seemed a bit surprised that I asked such a question. “Are you not going to kill me?”

It was such an absurd question that I started laughing. Not that it was funny in the slightest. I grabbed my sword and put it into the ground to show him. “If I wanted to kill you you’d already be dead,” I explained.

The kid looked almost disheartened at my answer. A twinge of regret stirred inside me. I really am an awful person. I pulled out my pack of bread. There were only three slices left not enough to keep him alive.  I put them down in front of him. “Here this should sustain you a day. There’s also a river quite a ways south as well.”

I grabbed my sword and left him. I guess you could say I was a horrible person back in the day. Nothing surprised me and nothing made me care. The boy didn’t even last a day in my thoughts.

Until the next night. The little animal was stealing from my bag! Of course I caught him before he could even run off with it. The little booger.
  “Let me go!” He ordered.
   “How dare you try and steal from me after I graciously gave you my bread!” I snarled.
  With a wide swing I flung him onto the ground. He groaned in response to the hard fall. Not feeling the least bit sorry I yelled, “scram.”
   I turned to walk away, but the kid grabbed onto my waist. He dug his feet into the ground in an attempt to stop me. I grabbed his head and tried pushing him away. “Let go!”
  “No!” He cried.
   I looked down at his arms. They looked like they could barely keep a hold of me. The image of his face appeared in my mind. Veiled eyes and bloody mouth. I pushed the image out and grabbed his arms. “I said let go!” With little effort I pushed him off me.
  Not daring to look back I crouched down and started  packing my futon and blanket. I just wanted some peace and quiet! I thought. Again his small arms wrapped around me. This time I didn’t attempt to push him off. He’d leave eventually: they all do. A long period of silence followed. “Please,” he whispered.

I didn’t stop packing. No matter what I wasn’t bringing him along. “I can’t go back there,” he croaked.
   “Then don’t,” I remarked.
  Suddenly I felt my back become wet with tears. His arms let go of my waist as he began crying into my back. “I didn’t want to eat those people..” he sobbed.
  “I’m disgusting” he added.
   I don’t know why, but his words touched me. If my father were here he probably would have scolded me. Told me that I was too soft to be a warrior. I sighed and reached around to pat his back. “Don't cry-you did what you had to do to survive,” I explained.

I’m going to really regret this  I felt myself think. Gently this time I lifted him off my back and turned around to face him. His sunken eyes were swimming with tears. No longer did he look like a ravenous animal, but a little child.
  To be honest I didn’t have a clue what to say. I’d never been in this situation before. I awkwardly patted his shoulder and told him, “don’t feel bad.”
   He continued to sob and leaned himself onto my chest. I slowly wrapped my arms around him. I feel like a mother I thought. I guess I wouldn’t know though since I didn’t have one. Conflicted about what to feel I just held him. What do I want to do with him? I wondered.
  Throughout my journey I had intended to not involve anyone with me. I had strictly set rules so I wouldn’t meet anyone. It hadn’t really worked out for me so far.
  His tears and snot began wetting my chest. Along with his too long brown hair that was messy with dried blood.
  I pulled him up to face me. Snot dribbled out of his nose and his tears poured out of his eyes. “Good gosh you're a mess.”
  The kid didn’t seem offended by my words probably because he looked like he was about to faint. I grabbed my blanket and wiped his face clean. “If we’re going to be traveling together you have to listen to my rules and obey what I say,” I explained.

The kid nodded in approval, “I will I promise.”
   “Your probably going to be sick from that raw flesh,” I observed.
   I can’t make him throw up. He’s pretty much skin and bones already. I looked at his clothing. Blood and dirt covered the front along with tears and rips on the bottom. “Here lift your arms up,” I ordered.

Obediently he lifted his arms as I pulled his clothes over him rendering him naked. I fanned out my dusty blanket and wrapped it around him. “You can wear that for now. Once morning hits I’ll wash your clothes.”
  His veiled eyes became bright with happiness. Something inside me felt warm. I don’t even know his name and I’m already getting attached.  I sighed and laid out my futon again. “Sorry but this futon only has room for one and I’m not sharing,” I muttered.
  He didn’t reply or say anything at all. I rolled it back out and laid down on it. My eyelids grew heavy as sleep dragged at me. Only when I was about to fall asleep did I feel the boy pressed up against my back. Ah what the heck….
  And that’s what started the ridiculous journey of two ridiculous different yet similar humans.

.  .  .

The first two days he hardly talked. Mainly because he was barely alive. I had to nurse him back to health. Which required me to be very patient with him. Unfortunately for him patience isn’t my strong suite in the slightest.
    It was like taking care of an infant. No wonder my mom left me I thought as I washed his clothes in the river.

I sauntered back to our little camp that I’d made. To be honest I was proud of it. I’d cut down branches and sharpened them into little steaks. Then I stuck then into the ground so they were like a little gate guarding us. Along with that I’d made a tent that leaned up against a tree. Ever since I was little I’d always be out in the forest. Even sleep out in the forest. Which always ended up with me having a cold.
   Those were good days. My thoughts were interrupted by seeing the boy stoking the burnt firewood. “I guess your not dead yet,” I retorted.
  The boy’s expression was emotionless. I waved his clothes around so the wind could dry it. After two minutes I threw it over to him. “Here it’s a little damp,” I warned.

Without hesitating the boy threw off the blanket and put on his clothes. The blood stain was now faint in color, yet still remained. He looked down at it as a reminder of his cannibalistic ways. A look of sadness washed over him. “If you think to much about it you’ll become depressed,” I reminded.

The boy looked up but kept silent. “Your creepy,” I admitted.

For some reason he smiled at that remark. How did I end up with such a creepy kid  I wondered to myself. He got up from his spot and stretched. His tiny legs and arms showed that they were improving along with his face. “Do you think you’ll be good enough to travel in a few days?” I ask.
  The boy looked at himself. “I’m pretty sure I should be good,” he answered.

“Good,” I grumbled making sure to show the irritation in my voice.
  There was a slight pause before the boy blurted, “my names Ryu.”
  “Okay?” I say almost questionably.
    Ryu scratched his ear a thing he usual did when embarrassed. “I thought you should know my name,” he explained.
   “That’s nice-“
   “What’s your name?” He interrupted.
    I felt my blood begin to boil. “You’re very talkative today,” I mumbled.
   “Uh I’m sorry.”
   Ryu fell to his knees and bowed his head respectively. I felt my ears grow hot. “No need to be so formal about your apology. Besides I’m just cranky today.”
   Ryu’s eyes widened, “is it that time of the month?”
  It took me a second to understand. When it hit me I began to stutter, “of course not!! It… I’m just… uh I’m just cranky in general!”
   “The ladies I traveled with sometimes acted like you when they were on it. It was like living with monsters,” he admitted.
  His eyes seemed distant in thought. I didn’t press for more. We both had our pasts that we’d like to keep secret.
  I walked over to the fire and start trying to make a new one. “Find me some twigs and tinder,” I commanded.

Ryu raced off. As he left so did the atmosphere. I hadn’t noticed it until he left. The air was more cold and lonely. I guess I missed humans more than I Let on. My father would have been disappointed in me. You only need yourself and the sword! He would have screamed into my face. The thought of his square like face and sharp eyes sent chills up my spine.
  I pushed away the thought and tried concentrating more on the fire. Ryu came back with a huge pile of twigs and tinder. “Thanks,” I replied.

I cut a sturdy twig in two and then etched a dip from the inside. I placed the bark and leaves into the dip and then used another to twig to twist and turn the tinder. “Hold the bottom kid.”
  “Ryu,” he corrected.
    “Whatever,” I retorted.
    “What’s your name?” He asked
   “What's it to you?” I snarked.
   “Would you rather I call you cranky lady,” he retorted.

I huffed, “Ming.”
   Ryu gave a small smile before pinning down the bottom twig. I ran my hands down the twig as fast as I could. The wood rubbed against my blistered hands. I bit my lip to stop myself from groaning in pain. My muscles tensed as I continued to proceed with the process. “There’s a spark!” Cried Ryu.
  “I know that,” I said breathlessly.
   I pushed him back and began blowing on the tinder. The flame went out immediately. I glanced at my hands. The blisters from last night hadn’t healed completely. Ignoring my aching hands I put more pressure down on the tinder.

Finally after three attempts we got a flame going. It grew into a marvelous hungry flame worthy of cooking food. I laid back on our tent and wrapped my blisters up. “Grab the fish from the bag,” I gasped.
  Ryu turned to me. A look of concern crossed his face. My icy glare made him turn away and grab the fish. I used my teeth to tear away wrapping from the roll. That was my last wrap. I gave them a quick shake to give them air. “Stick the fish with one of those sticks,” I instructed.
  Ryu followed my instructions and stuck the fish with a stick. “Like this?” He asked.
   Ryu glanced again at my hands. I squeezed them into a fist despite the pain. “It didn’t hurt that bad.”
  He didn’t look convinced, but caught the hint and staked the fish. I relaxed my hand and rubbed them softly. I don’t want anyone worrying about me I told myself. Casually I walked over to Ryu and sat down beside him. I reluctantly grabbed the sick and hung it over the hungry flame.
    The fire crackled and flew into the trees. Heat flew at me making my eyes water. Ryu coughed and covered his eyes. “Looks like the winds not on our side,” I coughed.
  We both scooched over so we avoided the smoke. “Ming?” He whispered.
  “Hhmm” I replied.

I could feel his eyes wander to my sword. Couldn’t blame him a sword would look cool to any person. “Why do you have a sword… are you a samurai?” He asked.

“I’m far from a samurai. Samurai are merely serpents who serve a master that couldn’t give a crap about them. In my eyes all they do is try and achieve glory for themselves,” I rambled.
   Ryu seemed a little bewildered. I slowly unsheathed my sword. The silver glinted in the sunlight. It’s edge so sharp it could probably cut air itself. A look of astonishment crossed his face. Feeling pride swell within me I added, “this is my own sword that I forged.”
   Ryu gave it a longing look. I rolled my eyes, “You can touch it.”
  Ryu’s eyes gleamed with excitement as I gave it to him. He ran his fingers down the middle. “So smooth,” he said.
  I felt unease grow within me. It had been a long time since I’d pulled it out. I wasn’t sure why I had pulled it out. The sword seemed to blur and then it was covered in blood. Not wanting to see the image anymore I jerked the sword from his hands. “Ahh!” He cried.
  Droplets of blood fell from the palm of his hands. Petrified I stared down at the sword. What was I thinking pulling this dangerous thing out. I sheathed it and looked down at his hands. They were only minor cuts, but the skin was broken. “I’m so sorry,” I heard myself say.
   “It’s okay it didn’t hurt that bad,” he reassured.
    I’m so stupid! I wanted to scream. “Here come to the river with me! We’ll wash your hands and then I’ll give you my wrapping,”
   That was the first time and last time I would unsheathed my sword.

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »