Sequel to lord of the flies | Teen Ink

Sequel to lord of the flies

By Keys21 SILVER, Covington, Louisiana
Keys21 SILVER, Covington, Louisiana

Author's note:

This piece was actually inspired during school

Sequel to Lord of the Flies
It had only been a couple months since they got off that god forsaken island. More often times than not he felt like he was still there. He could still smell the scent of salt water mixed with body odor, could still taste the nuts, berries, and fish that he ate again and again and again. He could even still remember what every nook and cranny looked like. Ralph woke up with a loud scream, sweat stuck to every inch of his body as he awoke from his bad dream.
"You have another nightmare?" His dad asked as he entered Ralph's sleeping chambers.
"I'm fine," he said to his father, yet it was clear he was not.
"I know you're not littlun, you've had these nightmares ever since you came home," his father said. For Ralph had not escaped the beastie. It still existed, but it took on a new form. This beastie had come back in full glory ten times worse than it used to be. It appeared in the form of a human, a boy around his age. He could recognize the voice, yet he didn't know who it belonged to. This new monster haunted him, terrorizing and torturing him in his sleep.
"I just need to see the rest of the boys," said Ralph. "I need to warn them that the beastie is back".
"The beast is gone Ralph," his father said calmly.
"No it's not," cried Ralph. "It haunts me in my dreams, makes me remember things about the island, papa that God forsaken island".
Ralph knew all too well that if the beastie was haunting him it had to be haunting all the other boys as well. He was determined to see them again; he had to know if it was just him. He had it all figured out. He would secretly send all the boys letters in the mail telling them to meet at his house. It is the perfect plan, he thought. I can hold a secret meeting.
the next day Ralph sent out letters to all the boys. He waited for hours and hours by the mail box. Though he knew he was going to get no reply, it gave him a sense of security. Eventually, when the sky turned from a bright blue to a dark black, it was time to turn in and await the tortures the night provided. Ralph sat in his room alone and thought about how silly people's fears are: creepy crawlies, the dark, fire, bankruptcy.
"How irrational are people's fears compared to mine," he thought to himself. After about an hour or two of laying in the dark, Ralph finally fell asleep to the terrors of the night.
the next morning he awoke to the sound of chirping birds and tried tears that he wasn't aware we're on his face. He looked in the mirror to see red-stained eyes, but it wasn't the color that bothered him. It was that wild crazy look, the kind of look you get when you just witnessed someone kill your mother or the look that appears on your face when you have a gun pointed at your head. He had seen this look before, in the eyes of jack that crazy look he got before he killed. Shaking off the thought, he walked to the mailbox to check and see if he had received any reply's. Yet day after day he received no reply. He waited many restless days and tortures nights but still heard no word.
"Why aren't they replying?" He wondered to himself. "Maybe the beastie has killed them, maybe it grabbed them in their sleep and brought them back to the island. Maybe it will do the same to me." The more Ralph dwelled on his thoughts the more paranoid he became, for every sound he heard set him in a state of panic. Whether it was the chirping of a bird, the scrapping of a tree branch, or the honk of a car, they all sounded like the beastie to him. It was almost as if he could hear every sound; filter out every noise.
Eventually, summer faded into fall and it was time to return back to school, Ralph still receiving no reply had given up hope on the secret meeting. He would handle things on his own. He had survived being stranded on an island; surely he could survive this. So every day he would go to school like nothing had ever happened, and every night he would be haunted in his dreams. Kids lined up in the halls would stare at him, yet he didn't seem to notice.,
he had made a new friend, Nicholas. He was a very tiny, frail, young boy, with shaggy blond hair and so many freckles you would think that he painted them on his face. But Ralph figured he needed someone to spend the year with  and Nicholas didn't ask very many questions, which was perfect for Ralph.
"My father doesn't believe that the beastie is back," Ralph said to Nicholas, "but I know it is. It talks to me in my sleep."
"Maybe he's right," said Nicholas. "I know my dad is always right."
"There has to be a way to stop him, a way to catch him," said Ralph. For the following days, Ralph devised a plan to capture the beastie. He almost obsessed over his plotting scheme, making sure that every part of his plan was perfect. Finally, after weeks of planning, Ralph decided to put his plan into action. He would set up a rope that hung from a nail in the ceiling to the floor. He would wait until the beastie tried to come get him at night. When the beastie stepped on the rope he would pull the rope with all his might and catch the beastie upside down.
Finally after all the lights in the house were out, it was time for Ralph to put his plan into action. He strung up the rope from the rusty nail, and waited for the beast to come get him.
"There is no way I'm letting him take me back to that island," Ralph thought to himself. After hours of waiting Ralph began to lose hope that the beast would show.
"Maybe he won't come tonight," Ralph thought, "Maybe he knows that I set up this trap." Just as quick as these thoughts came to his head, they went away when he heard something open his door. Ralph sat up into a crouched position waiting for the right moment to spring into action. Just as the creatures foot touched the rope, Ralph pulled with all of his might. He heard a large grunt that sounded strangely human, he ran and turned the light on to get a good look at the beast. Yet it was no beast he saw, it was Jack.