The Pyromancer's Gauntlet | Teen Ink

The Pyromancer's Gauntlet

May 26, 2016
By JacobNorton SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
More by this author
JacobNorton SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I would like to thank to my cousin Bryce for some help with the story. We did an R.P and that's where a part of the story comes from.

The cool air of the summer night clung to the buildings and people. A cloaked man slowly shimmies through a road, through an alley, and even through the smallest of holes. Rounding another corner, he’s suddenly flung into a wall by a large figure. Sputtering, he goes unconscious. The cloaked man wakes with a sore head. But before he can register what happened, he is instanly grappled. He looks up to see Crunch, the leader of the Rachini gang. Crunch is a large man to say the least. If he had more muscles than fat, he would certainly be the strongest person alive. His voice on the other hand, was smooth, and never with anger, only intrigue and seriousness.
“You there!” he yells, gesturing towards the tiger-sized man, “Take the artifact from him.” The Tiger-Man seizes the artifact at instant speed, much like a tiger. The cloaked man knows he can’t do anything now. “Well well well, this is interesting.” said Crunch, in his ever smooth tone, “Harrison, how do you come across this?” The cloaked man looks up, and says quietly, “I found it”. “You found it. Just. Found it.” Crunch seemed to whisper to himself, smirking ever so slightly. “Now isn’t that odd. Well, I don’t care. I’ve got the gauntlet. Throw him into the h-!?”
As soon as he heard Crunch say throw, Harrison slipped through the grasps of the 2 men, blotting out into the stone city. Three men, one of which was the Tiger-Man, sped after.  He knew the streets better than most in the city, including some of the gang members. He wove through the alleys like a spider making a web. Eventually, the gang lost him. Now was not the time to rest however, he needed to escape the city. Harrison traveled through the city until finally reaching one of the gates. He could see a platoon of soldiers and guards waiting for his arrival. They didn’t know however, was that there was another secret gates close by. However, the secret gate was on the other side of the street. Harrison went into a worm formation, sliding across the road, inch by inch. Halfway there, so far so good. Only a bit more…
“IT’S THE CRIMINAL!” A woman screamed. “Great.” thought Harrison. He got up and sprinted the final leg. The guards perk up, and begin to chase. There was no way to evade his chasers this time, there were far too many. He turned around the next corner, crouching and waiting. A guard jogs by, then another. Finally, a guard turns his way, and begins to shout for assistance. Harrison locks two blades together. Before the guard could speak, a double-sided knife hits him in the chest. He considers going back for them, but he is already slinking away to the hidden gate. The gate isn’t that that large, it’s only about the size of a cart. “Hopefully nobody sees me this time.” Harrison breathed sarcastically as he bolted through the gate.

The heat of day sets in as Harrison wakes. He woke up groggily, not caring if he made too much noise. He looked around, only now registering where he decided to sleep. All around him was forest. In the distance was a road, but shabby to say the least. Harrison hated the woods, all the animals and greenery. He spent his whole life in the capital. He begins to walk on the road. He cursed to himself for deciding to steal the gauntlet. “All this has done is thrown me out of the city, made me the number one outlaw, and get kicked out of the Rachini Gang.” Harrison kicked a rock, pain coursing right back as if angry. He had been walking on the path for over an hour when he saw a house. The house was painted a long time ago, with some barely tended flowers and lawn. Harrison, being the thief he was, decided to “ask” for some food and water. The house was in the middle of nowhere, so why not? Perhaps he might ask for some gold while he’s at it.
He knocked on the door, ready to pounce on the person inside with his knives. The door opened, and Harrison reached for his knives. Oh no. “They’re in a guard!” he thought as the door swung open. Before he could stop anything, a fist hit him on the forehead, knocking him down. Harrison was quickly tied up and dragged into the house. He tried to wriggle out of the ropes, but this person that tied him up was a master rope knotter. While he was being flung on the table, he got a look at the person who abducted him. It was a woman, with a dead-eyed expression and enough strength to at minimum lift him on the table, but he wouldn’t be surprised if she could lift more. “Alright, I know you have some information, some kind of secret,” she paused, “I will be torturing you, until either it is spilled or you are.” she said, calmly in a well practiced and used voice. Harrison, utterly not sure what to say, remains silent. “Alright, let’s begin.” she said with a sprinkle of enthusiasm and pride.
The woman went into another room. Clanking and banging could be heard, along with a drawer creaking open. She came back with a tome and a silver sword. The tome had notes falling out of it, and a latch put tightly around. She took off the latch, and the book flung open. Whispers of different volumes and accents could be heard, with words of indescribable gibberish. The sword raises to Harrison’s throat, then the woman begins to draw power from the book. The power combines together, forming a purple haze. She raises her hand, then instantly throws it down onto her sword. The purple haze follows, latching onto the sword, making it purple. A Spellsword! “I’ll never tell you about the Gauntlet of Pyromancy,” Harrison yelled out, “Even if you torture me!” The Spellsword chuckles, “Wow, I didn’t even start. It seems I have something to look for.” She sheaths the blade, then contemplates something. She walks to the end of the table. The book opened again, and this time, instead of the spell going on a blade, it flies towards his head, instantly knocking him out.
Harrison woke up with a sunset in his eyes. He was on the road again, but the house had disappeared! With low amount of both water and food, he decides that he will have to be quick and go to the nearby town of Yogrova. Harrison blindly travels into the night, until he finds the main road. Not long after that, the town of Yogrova came into view. It’s much smaller than Racheno, in fact, Harrison thought it was a district of some larger city. However, it was the biggest town for miles. Harrison rushed into the nearby inn. It was a simple inn, only 2 stories tall, but not with the most modern of looks. “I hate the woods.” Harrison mumbled as he shuffled into the inn. He ordered a room, and collapsed on the bed.

It was well after breakfast when Harrison crawled out of bed. He went down to the bottom floor of the inn, maybe there was still some coffee. After Harrison got the last drops of coffee from the kettle, he sat next to the window, looking out into the town. There was a fairly large market that’s much different than the ones Harrison was used to. While it did have fruits and general goods, there were many stalls for wood, or wood cutting tools. A person opened the door, and the smell of pine spread into the musty bar. There was a group of pine houses, government buildings, and-
“Oh no.” Harrison said under his breath. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see a familiar person arguing with some guards of the Legion of Racheno. The Legion was the governing body of the country of Racheno. Their base was in the capital of Racheno, but they had posts in all the largest cities of each region. The Spellsword already had her blade out, along with the book. By the time Harrison blinked, she had already cut down 5 guards. “Is she here for me?” Harrison said, not really caring if someone heard. Just as he thought of that, the door burst open. The spellsword walked over to the innkeeper, and asked for some coffee. The innkeeper sputtered, then pointed towards Harrison.
“Really?” Harrison said annoyed. He jumped towards the door, with the spellsword still taken aback by seeing him again. He bolted out of the inn, and towards the group of dead guards. He picked up a sword, and pointed it at the spellsword. She wizzed around him, slicing at his back. Harrison ducked, realizing that he was severely outmatched. He attempted to cut her feet, but she jumped back, using the momentum to step a lunge her blade at Harrison. He rolled out of the way, now taking the defensive. She exclaimed, “Got any other secrets you wish to share? Ha!”
She swung with an overhand strike. Harrison attempted to parry, but only bent his blade in the process. The Spellsword took out her book, and enchanted her blade with fire. He was losing ground, and any second, she would slice his head in two. All of his blocks did nothing, and each hit was stronger than the last. Then, out of nowhere, and arrow lodged deep into the Spellswords left arm. She drops her blade, clutching the wound. Both of them looked around for this archer, but do not see it. She casts a spell, then disappears. The archer comes out of the shadows, and walks over to Harrison. The archer is wearing green clothing, but with bits of brown and black inside, making the outfit good for deep dark woodland areas. Or apparently, the side of a house.
Just as thank you’s were about to be pronounced, a platoon of Legion guards comes around the corner. A group of people, with bloody guards around them, is pretty suspicious. Not to mention one of those people is the number one wanted criminal. With this 2-second reasoning, the platoon charges at the two. The archer grabs Harrison’s neck, and pulls him through an overgrown bush. Harrison gets plucked by barbs and branches, and he curses to himself. Suddenly, the two are in a clearing. The archer throws Harrison on the ground and clears his throat. “What’s your name? What are you doing in in Yogrova? What do you know about that Spellsword? Why did you attack them?” Harrison stopped the frantic archer. “Hold on, slow down. Ok, my name is Harrison Soe.” The frantic man in front of him stopped, and gave the ‘Go on’ motion. “Um, this is kinda your queue to give your name.” “Oh, yes, my name is Terence of the Yilgivian Alliance. We are the protectors of people from overbearing governments. While the alliance is barely bound together, we are very strong.” Terence paused then looked Harrison dead in the eye. “And you are going to help me with something.”

Main: Harison Soe; pyromancer, jerk, lacks communication skills.
Crunch; smooth voice, leader of Rachini; fat, but still powerful
Tiger-Man; A man the size of a Tiger, mysterious, evil, indescribably strong.
Terence of the Yilgivian Alliance; frantic, archer, hates oppressive governments
Sarah Fendas; Spellsword, evil as ever, lives in a moving house, likes to cause trouble.

CHAPTER 4: Terence takes Harrison through the woods, and into a cave. He explains more about the Alliance he is in, and why they need Harrison. It turns out, Harrison has a magical energy in him, and the deep forest dweller thinks he might have something. Harrison tells Terence about the Gauntlet, and how it should not be in the hands of the Rachini Gang, or the Racheno Legion. They set off towards the capital of Racheno.
CHAPTER 5: Late in the night, the two find a trader who is going to Racheno, and exchange gold for transportation. They arrive at dawn, hiding inside the cart. Once inside, they go to an old friend of Harrison, Mateyl the Wise. He is the oldest person in the entire country, and knows many things. He tells Harrison that he needs to find the gauntlet and put it on. Suddenly, there is commotion outside. The Spellsword is attacking people again, asking questions. The two briefly argue about if they should get involved, when the spellsword decides to attack them anyways. Mateyl comes out and starts to tell some secrets about the spellsword, like her name, her past, and all the demonic pacts she has taken. This infuriates Sarah Fendas, and she kills him.
CHAPTER 6: The two shimmy off into an alley, this time Harrison leading the way. They arrive at the general area the gang calls home. After about 20 minutes of sneaking around and searching, they finally find the gauntlet. Before Harrison could take it, the Tiger-Man appeared from the shadows. He reveals that he has tied up the leader, and is going to take the gauntlet. Then, 3 guards of the Racheno Legion barge through, and demand the gauntlet back. A portal opens on the opposite side of the room, and Sarah appears, also for the gauntlet. Everyone begins arguing, threatening, and eventually, fighting. The guards are mostly waiting, while the Tiger-Man, Spellsword, and Terence actually fighting. Harrison moves unconsciously towards the Gauntlet of Pyromancy. With one swift motion, he slips it on. All goes black. He can’t see anything, he can’t hear anything, or feel anything. Then, a small flame appears in front of him. He grabs the flame, then, he wakes up. The whole building is on fire. The charde bodies of the Legion guards, and of the Tiger-Man, can be seen. With nothing left for him at the gang, he leaves. As he runs out the building, he feels that something has changed.
CHAPTER 7: Harrison runs out of the city, heading North. Perhaps he could get a job as a smith, or something. He just wanted to leave Racheno, and never come back. The city felt congested to him, like each building was going to fall on him. He gets on top of the hill and looks back. The fire could still be seen, but it would die out. The stone of the city made it mostly fire-proof. He looked down to his gauntlet, then back to the city. There was some figure riding on a horse, coming his way. They had a bow, and looked like they were going to pass out. Terence grabbed Harrison by the collarbone, and threw him onto the saddle. Terence explained that they needed to go to the woods immediately. Something big was about to happen.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.