Across the Forbidden Rim | Teen Ink

Across the Forbidden Rim

By LindyEdstrom SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
LindyEdstrom SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

There isn't enough space to put all of chapter 1 in chapter 1 so chapter 2 is just going to be chapter 1 still. ;)

Across the Forbidden Rim 
Chapter 1
I sat with my mother and grandma as I tended to the fire. The weather seemed
to be getting even colder, and the days shorter. I lived in a valley surrounded by
mountains with my family and forty other people. Days were short as the sun rose late
and set early over the mountains.  Living in such a cold climate caused our body
temperatures to be low and our skin dry and tough, like leather. Food had been difficult
to find inside our valley. The leaders of our village, my father, Nicasio and Phelan, led
parties high into the mountains where the only game was rare and sporadic. They were
not often successful, as who could predict when or why game sometimes appeared
from the unknown, beyond the “rim”.  Our people came to this valley so long ago. The
reason was lost over the years, except for the fact that they came here to avoid an
awful calamity that forced them to find this protected place.  Resources were scarce but
we felt protected by the towering mountains.  Whatever forced the original people here
was kept at bay and we took that comfort.  Despite the hardships of daily life, I loved
living in our protective circle of mountains. My daily life was rather simple: eat, sleep,
keep warm, and never go past the “rim”.  Phelan had always warned the village that
beyond the rim was empty land; possibly uninhabitable.  No one in the village really
knew what was out there, and no one wanted to find out. Our founders deserted the
forbidden land ages ago, and never looked back, says my father.  Although I learned
not to voice my curiosity, I nursed a secret fantasy about the alien and hostile land that
lay just outside.  The fire warmed our little cave, making it seem inviting and cozy. I was
just about to curl up in my reindeer skin when the first shaking came. The walls of the
cave vibrated and a crumbling sound was heard. 
“What was that?” I ask my mother anxiously. 
“Taya, go find your sister. Now!” She says frantically. Nothing like this had ever
happened before and I can hear the fear in her voice. This shocks me into action and I
run outside.  As I run I hear voices screaming and people running. I continue to follow
my mother’s orders and search for Cyra. She said she was going to help clean animal
skins.  Suddenly, another rumble comes. Rocks at the top of our mountain become
loose and a few tumble down. I turn my attention back to the cleaning area. No one is
there. Out of the corner of my vision, I spot brown hair running up the path of a nearby
mountain. I wonder why Cyra would be running up towards the peak.  Is she trying to
avoid the falling rocks?  I chase after her and yell, “Cyra! Cyra! Stop!” I am panting and
out of breath when I reach a bend in the trail and see her hair poking out from behind a
boulder.
“Cyra? What are you doing? Come out!” I walk around the boulder only to see
the brown tail of a fox. Once it sees me, it scampers away. My heart is beating faster
and faster.  How could I have been confused by a fox? I realize at once I have not only
missed Cyra but I am now far above our village. I know I need to return and find my
sister.  All of a sudden, a thunderous roar shakes the ground. Rocks and boulders
barrel down the mountain, a few barely missing my own head! I scream as the last of
the rocks came down. Then it is silent, so silent. I hear no cries for help, nor see anyone
below. Tears stream down my face as I sprint back towards our cave. My fellow villagers
must have returned to their caves for safety, but now the entrances are sealed with piles
of rocks and boulders. 
A nearby shout for help leads me to my best friend Ondine’s cave. 
“Ondine, where are you?!” I yell as I sift through the rocks. I uncover her and her
broken body. She has tears streaming from her eyes.  Her eyes are wide in pain and I
can see how broken and damaged she is.
“You’ll be okay. You’ll be okay,” I assure Ondine and myself. I hold her head in
my lap as she whispers to me. 
“I am beyond help Taya. I will miss-” 
And that was that. My best friend is dead. I manage to keep myself together as I
stumble across fallen boulders. The entrance to my cave appears only half closed off. I
squeeze through the opening and see my mother. She is holding her head in one hand
as blood trickles out between her fingers. I glance over at my grandmother. It is obvious
she has died. 
“Taya, don’t look. Grandmother is gone. Where is Cyra?,” my mother says as
she pulls me close with her free hand. My whole body is shaking as I take my eyes off
Grandmother for the last time. I completely lose it as I bury my head into my mother’s
shoulder and tell her I couldn’t find Cyra. I knew this is the last time I would ever see my
mother alive and I had failed her by not finding my sister.  I had been tricked by a fox
instead - even though that very fox is the reason I was unscathed. 
“Taya, you must find your father and Phelan. They will know what to do,” Mother
took a deep breath to keep going. “I love you, Taya. I love you so much.” Tears coat my
face as I look deep into her eyes and nod. 
“Mother, I love you, too. Please don’t leave me,” I manage to say through the
growing lump in my throat. I put on my strong face for my mother, and say, “I will see
you soon. No matter what.” At those last words, I turn and walk out of the cave. Smaller
rocks still tumble down the mountain slope causing me to duck out of the way. I notice
the other villagers’ caves filled in with rocks. Dead bodies must be buried beneath the
boulders as no cries for help are heard. I climb upwards as I try to follow what remains
of the path leading to the leader’s den, where my father and Phelan were last meeting.
Thankfully, the cave was high enough on the mountainside to provide some protection
from the avalanche.  I see my father and Phelan propped against a wall near the far
end, both noticeably injured, but still alive. 
“Father!” I shout. He looks my way but his eyes are dim. I rush over to him and
give him a long hug. 
“You’re okay! You’re okay!” I exclaim, but as I finish looking him over, I notice a
pool of dark red behind him. Father is unable to make full sentences. I tell him most of
our people have been killed, Cyra is missing, and grandmother is dead.  It all comes
rushing out as I look to my father, as the leader and protector he always has been.
Although I can see that he is so badly injured.  Phelan is not as badly injured and listens
closely to my description of the destruction of our village.
“Phelan,” my father says, “we have been stretching our luck here for some time.
If there is any chance for survival, we can’t stay here. The avalanche may return at any
time.” His breaths get shorter and shorter as time goes on. 
“But, what can you mean? Not stay here?  There is no other place to go!” I blurt
out in disbelief. 
“We don’t know, Taya, but this valley may quickly be no more and our food
stores have also been buried. We’ve waited too long out of fear. You are our only hope,
Taya, you must see what is beyond the rim. Perhaps there is food or another valley;
anything or we will die. Find help for the village, Taya. We believe in you,” Phelan said
as my father starts to drift in and out of consciousness. 
“Okay, I will. I promise,” I say as, unbidden, my youthful fantasies of a wasteland
and monsters creeps into my mind. 
“But you two have to promise me that you will be here waiting when I return with
help, okay?” I told both my father and Phelan. Father nods just the slightest and Phelan
gives his promise. I look nervously at Father as his eyelids flutter open and closed. I
wonder how they will make do with our food caches buried, and the villagers that could
still be injured. We had so little in the way of caring for the injured or sick, and now even
less.
“You must gather warm clothing, food, and a fire starter when you start your
journey, which must be immediately,” Phelan orders as his voice starts to get weak. I
nod and begin to leave to follow his orders, but before I leave Phelan adds, “I know you
are the strongest in the village, Taya. I know you will be successful. Be strong for us and
always remember us- no matter what happens.” 
“I would never forget anyone here. I will come back and you will be alive,” I say
confidently. I manage a smile and leave for the medicine cave. I know right away when I
see it, that it has been completely destroyed. Leaving no time to waste, I continue down
to the supply cave, which is the lowest cave to the ground. A few rocks were scattered
around the edges, and the ceiling looked ready to cave in, but the animal skins and
some food are still accessible. I grab a satchel and start stuffing what food I could find
into it. I put on as many skins as I can to keep warm.

There is also a summary of the rest of the book. And this is just chapter 1 still. 

"Taya, is that you?” A voice startles me as I grab a couple fire starters. I turn
around to see a middle aged woman named, Sinead. 
“Sinead! You’re alive!” I exclaim as I walk over to her. I see her limping and a
large gash on her forehead, but other than those injuries, she looks fine. 
“Is everyone else dead? I can find no one. What are you doing?” Sinead asks as
she notices the full bag I have. 
“Not everyone is dead.  My father and Phelan are injured but alive in the leader’s
cave. They ordered me to go over the rim of the mountains.  They say we can’t stay in
the valley anymore - our supplies are buried and they think the avalanche will return. I
have no choice. The few of us left will die if we stay.” I answer. Sinead’s eyes widen at
the mention of going over the rim, yet she seems to come to an understanding. 
“I am going to try to fix myself up here,” she points to her head, “And then I will
go tend to Phelan and your father. I will try to bring food and water to any survivors I can
find,” Sinead finishes. Her hands tremble as she cleans her wound with melted snow. 
“My mother is still alive, too. She is in terrible shape, but I think she can make it.
Could you please help her?” I ask Sinead as I finish packing my satchel. 
“Of course. Phelan has great trust in you. Come back with help,” Sinead says.
She gives me a hug and I start my long trek for aid into the forbidden land.
It takes me three hours to reach the top of the mountain where the life-saving
fox had tricked me into believing he was my sister. My teeth start to chatter, not
because of the cold, but because I am so scared. Scared that I will not find help. Scared
that everyone will be dead when - if - I return. Scared of what is beyond our the rim and
the protection of these mountains. I turn around and take a long look at our valley. It
looks completely destroyed, with rocks that fill nearly every cave entrance. I will the
villagers, with all my might, to be alive so I have something to come back to. The
mountain looks as if it was hanging from a string, ready to collapse completely. I hope
Sinead can manage to move Phelan, Mother, father and any other survivors, including
my sister, to nearby mountains, before this one collapses. 
“Goodbye Mother, Father, and Cyra. I love you,” I whisper into the wind. I
continue to the rim before I turn and face the large expanse beyond the mountains. My
breath is taken away at how large the view is. The wind is so strong that my eyes are
watering so badly and it is difficult to make out what I saw.  What I saw before I began
my descent made me knees wobble.  I saw white - white below, white above.  Was
there ground? Was there sky?  All I know as I enter a world I never knew existed, is that
this vastness needs to provide me something to return home with, and that something
needs to save our lives.

Summary of the remainder of the book 
After descending the mountain Taya’s vision clears and she can see that what
had appeared has a vast area of white, looks remarkably similar to her valley. Taya
continues a long four day journey across the rugged and cold land. She is baffled that
this forbidden land seems very benign and unthreatening. On her fifth day, she spots
movement in the distance that appear human. Much to Taya’s surprise she finds a
group of Russian scientists working in Siberia in the present day. Her story, told in
English, about traveling the Siberian wilderness for 4 days and living in a village there,
is incomprehensible. Yet, Taya looks much different than normal people, due to how
they have adapted to the cold climate. She also has items that are clearly handmade
from resources in the area. 
The scientists had been studying recent disturbances that caused earthquakes
which match Taya’s story about the avalanche. They immediately call in for the Russian
military’s help. Initially they cannot find the hidden village, but the girl’s existence has
become world news - especially the fact that someone supposedly living in Siberia
speaks fluent English, and no Russian. When the United States sends representatives
over to Russia, Russians start to grow nervous. The representatives from the United
States catch on to this nervousness and start questioning them. They find Russia to be
responsible for banishing a group of eleven people to northern Siberia in the early
1800s. It was assumed that explorers, who were thought to be spies, would die in the
harsh conditions. Instead of dying they found the protected valley and thrived there
throughout generations, until now. That explains why they were told going outside of the
valley was forbidden. The early villagers thought they would be killed if their
whereabouts were known. 
After a long period of searching, the village is finally found in the mountains.
Taya accompanies them on the search for survivors and it appears everyone had died.
The rescue team miraculously finds Taya’s sister Cyra by the supply cave. She had
been hiding on the day of the first avalanche to avoid working and missed getting
caught in it. Cyra managed to stay warm and had just enough food to remain alive. She
explains how a second avalanche had come and killed the remaining survivors while
she took cover on a nearby mountain. In honor of Taya’s promise to never forget, the

two sisters helped make a memorial in remembrance of the village that never died.