The Brandenburg Mess-Up | Teen Ink

The Brandenburg Mess-Up

By Daniel.W.Evensen PLATINUM, Eagle River, Wisconsin
Daniel.W.Evensen PLATINUM, Eagle River, Wisconsin

Isaiah 40:31
Those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength, they will run and not be faint, walk and not be weary.

Author's note:

This was my first ever story to be inspired by a dream. The part from the boys entering the Reichstag Building to them meeting the villain was all in my dream. The only thing I changed was that champagne which was originally a pie.

Daniel Evensen woke abruptly to the sound of an alarm clock. He glanced over to see the clock read 8:00 a.m. Then he remembered where he was. He was in Berlin Germany. Then he remembered why.

He was staying at the Hotel Hansablick Garni with his dad and Best friend, Johnny Elwood. They were there in lieu of the International Bible Conference that Dan’s dad was a speaker at this year. Such speakers would be Billy Graham, Franklin Graham, Ravi Zacharias, Erwin Lutzer, Greg Speck, Ken Ham and Ben Carson.

Dan’s Dad was senior pastor at Cross Evangelical Free Church and would be speaking on the sanctity of human life and would be basing his speech from his new book ‘A Child’s Voice’.

A cold hand on his shoulder began to shake him violently as it suddenly rolled him off the bed. Through bleary eyes, Dan looked into the eyes of his attacker and began to laugh.

“Morning to you too, Johnny.” Dan smiled as Johnny rested his knee on Dan’s chest.

“Well, if sleeping beauty hasn’t awoken. You were supposed to be running with me an hour ago.” Replied Johnny who at this time was dressed in his gray jogging suit and was full of sweat.

“Sorry, I had a date to keep.”

Dan grabbed a pillow from the bed and smacked Johnny headlong. This sparked a friendly impromptu wrestling match a Johnny rolled him off the bed.

Dan grabs Johnny and locks him in a cradle. Johnny wriggles free and forces Dan into a Half Nelson. Dan lunges for Johnny. Johnny jumps onto the bed. Dan crashes into the bed stand. Crash goes the lamp. Ding, ding. End of round one. Dan and Johnny 0. Hotel 1.

As Dan and Johnny looked at the broken lamp, who should walk in but Bob Evensen, Dan’s dad.

At forty-eight, he was a tall and handsome looking man with kind blue eyes and blonde hair that was flecked with gray. He had a muscular build that had never been used for anything more than constructive purposes. He was wearing jeans and a very old white tee-shirt.

“What are you two doing? I go to get breakfast, and you two are wrestling? Look at that lamp. Johnny, what happened? If we get charged for it, I’m putting it up to you, both of you.”

Though concerned, Bob was not angry, rather he was amused that his son was able to have fun with his best friend. It brought back many memories to him as a child.

“Well,” began Johnny, never glancing at Dan, in fear of laughing. “I rolled him off the bed like you told me to.” Dan glared at his father who smiled back.

“Then Dan hit me with the pillow and you can probably figure out the rest of the story.”

While the boys put the room back together and got cleaned up for the day's activities, Dad was able to get breakfast ready. Breakfast included rye toast, untoasted pumpernickel for Dan, eggs, sunny side up, bacon, and a large malted waffle for each person.

As they finished their meal, Mr. Evensen gave the day’s itinerary.

“Ok, I have a meeting at the Brandenburg Gate at ten, which is in an hour. You guys can come if you would like. If you want to meet some important people, fine. If not, that’s cool too. You can go anywhere you want in this city. Johnny, keep Dan away from the chocolate stores.” he smiled and Johnny poked Dan in the ribs.

Suddenly, a Knock, Knock, Knock came from the door. Dan jumped up, very startled. It was too early for anyone to expect visitors. Bob motioned for the boys to get behind the bed. He went to the door. Whoever it was could only be looking for trouble.

Dad opened the door and there stood a tall man, perhaps an inch or two shorter than himself. He was clean shaven wore a gray suit with a matching fedora. (Imagine a clean shaven Uncle Max from The Sound of Music) He was welcomed in.

“Boy’s, the coast is clear. Dan, look who’s here.” The boys came out and Dan ran to the stranger and wrapped his arms around him.

“Uncle Max. It’s so good to see you. What are you doing here.” Max, who was a year younger, turned to his brother and smiled.

“I was here on business. Arlene told me that you three were here in Berlin. I got your Hotel and they gave me your room number.” Max’s face grew anxious as he pulled out a newsprint that was dated the day before and handed it to his brother.

“Read it. Bottom section left, column.” Bob, who was fluent in Russian, German, English and Spanish, cleared his throat and began to read.

French Minister Gives Up Heritage For German Identity
Last night, French minister, Francis LeMeur gave up his French heritage to become a German citizen in what he calls an ‘answer to God’.
Lemeur was a former Catholic priest in Paris France and had been for twenty-fie years prior to two nights ago. 
LeMeur, who now occupies the name, Wilhelm Strausse, reported having a dream in which God came down from Heaven and placed a white sash with the Swastika. LeMeur takes this dream to be a call from God to recreate the Nazi Regime. In a matter of hours, he was able to organize five hundred sympathizers. His new organization, The United Neo-Nazi Party of the Red Star, or the Red Star Party, will be holding a meeting that will be attended by delegates of ten European countries to discuss the uprising of this new regime. This move has been called ‘controversial’ as Germany has already broken away from the United Nations. It will be held at the Reichstag building. Delegates to appear, include Blah Blah Blah.” as Dad’s voice trailed off.

“Okay, what does this have to do with us Max?” The older brother looked suspiciously at the younger.

“This has everything to do with you.” Max went to the door and looked to see if anyone was in the hallway.

“This man is a nut-case. Bob, he wants to recreate the Nazi Regime all over again and the media only batts their eyebrows at it. They put it on the last page with very little detail for crying out loud.”

“And?” Prompted Bob, visibly annoyed by his brother.

“If we are not careful, this could turn into WWII all over again. This man must be watched. Hitler made a rise and by the back streets of the press and by the time anyone could say anything, it was too late. Had I not shown up, you would have never known till it was too late.”

Bob looked at his brother, patted his cheek and chided.

“Max, you always were one for conspiracy.”

“Bob. This is serious. Germany has already broken away from the UN.”

“Dad, I think Max has something there. Before the outbreak of World War Two, Germany broke away from the League of Nations. This guy is up to something.”

“Yeah,” chimed in Johnny “when Dan and I did a report of World War Two, Germany broke away from the League of Nations. Wilhelm is trying to recreate the Nazi Regime under a new name.”

“What makes this any different from the Neo-Nazi parties of the United States, Max?”

“I’ll tell you. I am told by trusted sources that he is building an army. He started with five hundred supporters. His cause is doubling every day. Now think about this. Since World War Two, Germany has not been allowed an army. Now it so happens that a Nazi army is on his side and growing. His main belief is total annihilation of those who are called by God to re-inhabit the world. Now here is where the story gets weird. Some of my pals have told me that, though he has claimed to be called by God, he has completely denied him.”

“In that case, I’ll make one change to your guys’ day. Go anywhere you want, but stay away from the Reichstag Building.”

¨Bob, don't you think that you should take a tad bit more care?” asked Max.

¨Not at the moment. He hasn't killed anyone yet.¨

Dad then turned on his heels and headed to the bathroom while Max sat down and told the boys into how life back in Cross was. Evensen Antiques, Max’s business, was doing well. The boys lamented how they did not want school to start again.

Five minutes later, Bob emerged from the bathroom, with some instructions. He was dressed in black slacks, with a maroon dress shirt. He was attempting to tie his tie when Max stepped in to help.

“Max is going to drive me over to the Brandenburg Gate. You guys have the whole day to roam but be back by eight. I get done at six. Fight each other over the map, but please don’t kill each other, I haven’t paid the morgue yet. I gave you enough euros to last the day. That is if you don’t waste them. Stay away from the Reichstag, the chocolate stores and don’t forget the camera. I hope I can trust you guys.”

He held out his hands and hugged the boys  as he often did before leaving.

The men left leaving the boys with the decision of what to do. They had no idea where to begin.

Two hours later, after buying three pounds of chocolate, gifts for their mothers and touring the famous ‘Checkpoint Charlie’, the boys made their way to the Brandenburg Gate.

One problem did present itself. Even though they had a good understanding of the city, they had no idea where it was. After consulting the map and becoming even more confused, the boys looked up to see two monuments, a large stone gate, and a nice government building.

Johnny quickly deduced that the Brandenburg Gate could be the large stone structure. Dan deduced that the Brandenburg Gate could be the gate at the foot of the Government Building. After a quick coin flip, Dan won.

As the boys went over to where the building was, they realized that they had made a horrible mistake. 

They had come to the Reichstag Building.

Dan, who had an eye for architecture, was enamored by the beautiful building. If only if he could get a look inside.

Johnny, who saw the danger, tried to pull Dan away when they both noticed a uniformed guard dressed in a gray dress uniform with black gaiters and a red beret coming towards them, brandishing an STG 44.

Dan, who was known for being both paranoid and horrible at making choices under pressure, grabbed Johnny and ran. Right towards the Reichstag Building.

Dan realized he made three costly mistakes.
He panicked at the sight of the gun.
He ran from the guard.
He ran in the direction of the building that his dad had told him to stay away from.

As the two boys ran, the guard began to gain on them. They turned a corner and Dan saw his opportunity. He grabbed Johnny and pulled him into a doorway.

The momentum of their bodies was enough to send them onto the tile floor of the hallway. Dan landed first, followed by Johnny who landed on his arm.

“Hey, Dan. Thanks for breaking my fall, but the next time you want to be chased by a guy with a gun, you let me know so I can get as far away from you as possible.”

Dan went to the door and closed it slightly. He saw the guard that had chased him look around and consult another guard. Both being confused they went their separate ways.

As Dan shut the door, he realized that this once attractive building was nothing more than a death trap. Suddenly he heard many voices. Then he remembered the meeting.

Both boys looked down the hallway they were in to see a reddish light come through. They walked carefully to the light, ever wary that someone one might jump out at them.

The red that they saw was indeed a hallway, turned red through the lighting. They walked that hall in order to hopefully get to the foyer of this great building.

Apparently, luck would not be on their sides today.

The hall that they entered was a great banquet hall. The large windows that made up the walls were covered over in large flags that bore a red star with a black Swastika.

From where Dan stood, there were forty tables each seating six people, all well dressed. At the head of the room, there was a longer table with seven men, presumably from different countries for they all wore different uniforms.

The boys also noticed three rows of guards dressed in the same uniform as the guard outside.

The man at the center was a tall man, muscular and lean with a buzz cut and scar on his left eye. Dan took this to be Wilhelm Strauss.

Strauss stood, lifted a white cloth that sat at his place and addressed the crowd. In German. Translators stood by interpreting every word in their native tongue.

“My dearest people. Two nights ago, I had the good fortune to be visited by God. He gave me a vision. It was a vision of unity and strength. It was the vision of Europe being united as one nation. By our might and by our blood, the Federation will be complete. It with a heart of joy that I wear this sash, a gift given to me by God, as your leader. Together, the World will once again know the might of Germany.”

All the people in the room stood and applauded as the put on the sash.

Suddenly a voice broke out through the crowd and shouted “Kinder!”

Dan and Johnny froze. They turned to leave but a strong grip tightly grabbed onto their shoulders and led them up to the front of the room.

Dan noticed that the grip on his shoulder was not cruel or hard, but gentle and kind. he looked at the hand, only to notice a familiar, star shaped scar on his wrist. The guard was Uncle Max. (Max had received that scar years ago when Bob had pulled him from a burning building.)

Dan glanced over to his partner to see that the normally composed Johnny was shaking with fear and that his face was white.

When they finally reached the table, all the guests, including the delegates, sat. Wilhelm stood. Speaking to them in English, he began to question them.

“Good afternoon my young friends. What brings you to my meeting? Speak before you are shot.”

Dan saw his predicament and knew for sure that Max would not be able to help. He then remembered the blazers that he and Johnny were wearing. He put his plan into action.

“My good Mr. Strausse. We thank you for your welcome.  My counterpart and I were on our way to this meeting when we realized that we very late. We ask for your forgiveness in our intrusion.”

“How did you come you hear of this meeting?”

“My father being a rich business entrepreneur in the United States, came to Germany on business. We are unhappy with the conduct of our country. We have seen the promises that you have made for the greatness of this country. We would like to offer our services in any way possible. With God’s help, we will make this country great.”

“This country does not need a god. I am God!”

“But in your dream, God delivered the sash to you.”

“One more word of God and I will have you shot.”

“My dear, an unsightly occurrence. But first, A toast.”

Dan grabbed a Champagne glass from a passing waiter and raised it to the crowd as to present a toast. He mustered all he remembered of German as he spoke to the crowd.

“I present this toast to a man that will undoubtedly lead this country to greatness. This toast is not just to one man, but to all. To all who will fight and die to see this country live in the light of the New Regime. Hail.”

All the guards raised their right hands in salute as did Johnny in false support.

Dan lifted his Champagne to his lips but he never drank. (The last time he had Champagne, he threw it up in the gutter.)

He turned and splashed the liquid into the face of Wilhelm Strauss. The leader threw back his face in agony. The wannabe Dictator swore as his body hit the ground.

Dan dropped the glass and it hit the ground with a resounding crash. Oops! Check, please.

Dan grabbed Johnny and they both started running towards the door with the guards on hot pursuit.

The boys were in the lobby and Dan was smiling at himself, though he had no idea why. Was it his cleverness, or was it that they had just dodged a bullet?

“Dan, Thanks for that little circus back there, but next time let me know before you volunteer us to a dictator.

They were probably halfway across the threshold when two arms stopped them. It was once again Uncle Max. This time, he was holding an Uzi Submachine gun. He barked at the boys in cruel German and led them down a dark hallway.

There were surveillance cameras everywhere. Dan knew now why Max had to be so rough with them.

The only problem? Johnny had not yet known about Max the Guard and threw himself at him. Dan had to use all his strength to keep his best friend from tearing Max to pieces. In final desperation, Dan threw himself onto Johnny and pinned him against the wall.

“Johnny, if you don’t want to die today, you will follow this man’s lead.” Johnny, knowing that what his friend said was true.

The guard forcibly marched the boys down the hall, out an exit and into an armored car. As Max shut the door on them in back, he closed the driver's window. Dan hugged Max as soon as they were out of earshot of the Guard. There was not talking until they reached the hotel.

When they arrived at the hotel, Max ushered the boys to their hotel room where they laid down on the beds and fell asleep, exhausted from the day's activities. Though his body was removed from the scene, his mind relived the nightmare that he and Johnny had just escaped so vividly.

The first smell Dan noticed as he drifted out of his dream was his Dad’s cologne. As he fully awakened Dan was horrified to see his father leaning over the bed, with somewhat of a smile on his face.

“Good afternoon Son. Have a good nap.”

Dan closed his eyes and searched for any way to distract his Dad for even the slightest moment. Of course, he knew it was a futile attempt, but why not try it anyway.
“Hey Dad, how was the meeting. I heard Ken Ham was there. Did you get to meet him?” Bob looked at his sun and smiled a little bit.

“You know, I did get to meet him and Billy Graham and Franklin Graham and Ravi Zacharias. But that's a story for another time. I want to hear about your adventures.”

Dan knew that there was no way around his dad’s anger, so he and Johnny dove into the tale, head first.

By the very end, Dad was smiling, but it wasn’t a humorous kind of smile.

“Max, do give us the odds n’ ends of why you were there.”

“Alright. I’m part of a Security Task Force known as AS6. We monitor global leaders all around the world and make sure they are safe or not.”

“What do you mean by ‘safe’?” asked Dad.

“We make sure that they will not become the next Hitler and if someone does become that powerful, with evidence, we will go in and take them out.”

“Max, you would have made a fine citrus salesman.”

“Bob, what’s that supposed to mean?”

“You’ve sold so many lemons, that you’re a natural. I have never heard of this ‘AS6’. How do I know that you aren’t pulling the wool over our eyes?”

“We don’t exist. Not in public knowledge anyway. If you want to go tell someone about me, go ahead. I have two choices. I can either disappear and leave the picture, or I can deny it all and press charges against you for ill-will.”

“Why?” asked Bob, very confused

“Now I know that I have pulled some pretty crazy shenanigans before, but this is real. If our name was ever compromised, the United States would be in horrific danger. Your sons saw the whole thing. In fact, if we ever needed them, we could use them.”

By this time, Bob had his brother up against the wall.

“Maxwell Kingsford Evensen, if you ever come up with that fool idea again, God forbid I’ll tear you apart. I will not risk the lives of my son and his best friend over some foolish idea.”

Bob released his brother as Max pulled out some photos from his coat.

“Make sense of these.”

“It’s a map of Europe outlined and Germany in the middle.” explained the senior Evensen dryly.

“Before Dan and Johnny entered the building, I was able to sneak into Wilhelms office and find that map. He has already annexed Belgium, Poland, Hungary. His goal is all of Europe and Russia. He wants to form the United Federation of German Republics. I also found a ledger book with names in it and a note that said ‘Dismiss donors when Final Stage is complete.’”

“He has already made ‘deals’ with Belgium, Poland, and Hungary.”

“Max, you really don’t think that Wilhelm could take Europe by peace, do you?”

“I didn’t say that they took them all by peace. Remember that about a month ago German tanks rolled into Poland and occupied it. What he can’t take by peace, he’ll take by storm.”

“Dismiss?” asked Johnny.

“What I think that he means by that is, he’s going to have them shot, run over by a bus, poisoned, drowned, etcetera. Five of the four hundred names have already shown up in the obituaries. He’s going to recreate the Nazi Regime and kill off everyone who ever knew about his insidious plan so that by the time he gets to power, it will be too late to stop him.”

“Bob, live in the present. This is going to happen.”

“Max, you always were the idealist. You live so far into the future that you have no idea how to make sense of the present.”

“I prepare for the future while you only worry about it. You make no moves to change even when all things prompt you to.” Stated Max.

“Max, you make less and less sense every day. One of these days, you're gonna end up in the obituaries and no one will care. I think it’s time for you to leave.”

“Very well then.” Max stood and handed his brother a card.

“What's this?” asked Bob sourly.

“My card, in case you ever change your mind. Those boys are valuable. Keep them safe.”

With that, Max went to the door and left. Dan, Johnny, and Dad watched from the upper window as Max pulled away from the hotel.

“I can see that we’ve all had a little too much excitement from Uncle Max’s visit. Now I know that you guys live for adventure, but what Max is talking about is asinine not to mention stupid.”

“But Dad,” protested Dan “what Max presented actually made sense. What reason have we to not believe him?”

“The fact that he is my brother” Bob shouted at Dan, but then lowered his voice, alarmed that he had shouted

“and also the fact that all he ever thought about were theories. What Max suggested just now was a theory. He has always been interested in theories but they rarely ever went anywhere. He was ousted from Harvard Law School for theorizing that President Nixon was a turncoat for the Chinese or some fool thing like that.”

Bob smiled at his son and looked out the window with a faraway look in his eyes.

“Boys, the world is changing, whether you like it or not. Evil is growing more rampant and  stronger. But right now, we can only assume that Wilhelm Strauss is a lost man looking for something other than God. And if he does turn out to be evil, and if he does turn out to be a security threat, then and only then can you join Uncle Max.

Bob looked at his son and smiled only slightly.

“By the way, Dan, while we are on the subject, I heard from a certain crazy You-Know-Who, that you slammed Johnny into a wall?”

“Yeah. It was to protect us. Johnny had no idea that Max was a guard and would have given us away.”

“Dan, you are dense. There was no cover to blow and very well know that. Right now, I have a mind to take you outside and beat you something good. But I think that you owe Johnny an apology first.”

Dan, looking very defeated, stuck out his hand and made his apology.

“Johnny, I’m sorry that I dragged you into this whole thing. I am sorry for almost killing you. Please forgive me.” Dan extended his hand to his best friend.

Johnny grabbed Dan’s hand, grabbed his arm and flipped him over his shoulder. While Dan was still in shock, Johnny forced him into a Full Nelson. Dan looked at his father for help but knew that he was going to get none. This was his punishment. For the next ten minutes, Dan endured his body being pulled in every direction.

As any good person would, you might wonder what happened the days to come. For the rest of the trip, it was a very quiet and eventless much to the disappointment of the boys and much to the merriment of Bob.

On the Friday that they were scheduled to leave, a knock came from the door. Much to Dan and Johnny’s surprise stood Reverend Billy Graham and his son Franklin.

Dad came to the door and welcomed the famous evangelist and his son in.

Reverend  Graham had expressed an interest in meet Bob’s son and his best friend and had been invited by Dan’s Father to visit.

At lunch, with his father's permission, Dan and Johnny related to the Grahams their excitement over the past week. They listened intently as the boys made their appeal. As they closed their story, Billy Graham patiently and kindly acknowledged them.

“Boys, I’m sure your father has already told you this, but you are going to see leagues of evil in the next ten to twenty years. I have seen evil in my lifetime and your father in his. You have yet to see evil. I pray that you two will retain a bond of brotherhood so strong that nothing will be able to rip you apart.” Reverend Graham prayed for Dan and Johnny and left with his son.

It was with sad hearts that the boys and Dad had to leave Germany. On the plane ride back, Dad reiterated the words that Billy Graham had spoken.

Dad looked at Dan and Johnny who sat across from him and smiled.

“Whether you guys like it or not, you guys are the epitome of courage. Even though you were stupid enough to go into the direction of a forbidden building, you had the courage to stand up against an evil dictator and proclaim God loud and proud.”

“You boys have never known real brotherhood. I have. I am proud of the relationship that I have had with Max, but I do regret many things. I pray that you guys will never have to regret your friendship. Make the best of it and make it last. The adventures that you guys have will be stories that will go down to your children and grandchildren. Your legacy begins now. If you guys want to go down into to history as ‘the pals who died defending each other’, let nothing come in the way of your friendship. Stay loyal and stay faithful.”

Bob bowed his head and the boys followed suit.

“Dear Lord in Heaven. You are good and mighty and you are alive and well in the lives of Dan and Johnny. God, you made friendships to reflect the friendship that you want with us.  Lord, Dan, and Johnny have only known each other for about three months, but let them be faithful as best friends. Give them the courage to live as men for you so that their legacy will be worth talking about thirty or forty years down the road. In your good and precious name, Amen.”

Dan, Johnny, and Dad arrived back at Cross Municipal Airport tired, worn, and jet-lagged. and in no mood to talk to anyone at 9:00 pm (mountain time). As they stepped off of the plane, the boys noticed a large crowd of adults, newspaper men, and cameramen waiting for them. Arlene Evensen, and Jessica and James Elwood were at the very front.

Jessica and James took Johnny home while Arlene loaded Dan and Dad’s luggage into the back of her Honda. The drive home was silent as Arlene drove them home. As Bob related some of the details of the trip, save the deal at the Reichstag Building, Arlene knew that something was wrong.

Dan got home at 9:30 pm. and was as tired as all heck.

Dad went to the Television set and flipped onto the local new only to be horrified. On recent re-play were two boys standing before a large crowd. One of them holding a champagne glass and splashing it into a man's eyes. It was Dan and Johnny. It was conjectured that they were American boys and it was also conjectured that they were connected with a political coup.

There was even news of the President coming to meet the boys. Dan felt sick and wanted none of this.

That would explain the crowd and the cameras. They weren't waiting for Dad and the boys, they were waiting for the President.

He called to Arlene to come and watch this. Bob called the television station and started stewing over the fact that they had denied Dan and Johnny, not to mention their families, the right to remain silent.

Dan grabbed his suitcase and made his way upstairs to his bedroom. Just as he emptied the last of his luggage into the laundry, the phone at his bedstand rang.

“Got it!” he yelled. This proved to be a mistake.

“Hello, Evensen residence, Dan speaking.”

“Oh, hi. I was hoping to get you. This is Marcia Merribelle. I just saw the news. What a hero. All my girlfriends are crazy about you and Johnny. You’re a local celebrity. Anyways, my dad is taking me to go see a John Denver Remembered concert in Helena as part as an End-of-The-Summer Shindig. We have two extra tickets and are wondering if you and Johnny want to come with. I was also wondering if I could get a statement from both of you for an article in the ‘Griz Biz’”

Oh no! Marica Merribelle was the last person that Dan wanted to talk to. She had had a crush on him ever since he moved to Cross. He had more reason than not to dislike her. She had stolen an article on Social Stability from him to clinch a top spot on the ‘Griz Biz’, the Middle School newspaper.

“Yeah, sure. Fine. Goodnight. Love you, wait. Nevermind. Sorry. Goodnight.”

What in the world prompted him to talk to her? He had to be going crazy. Why in the world did he say yes? His parents would have no problem, but he would. Did he really say ‘love you’ to a girl that he loathed?”

Dan hung up the phone, stood up and pulled off his shirt. He moved to his dresser, but weariness and exhaustion overtook him.

He began to sway and his vision became blurry. Suddenly, it felt as if he was trying to climb up a wall. He fell asleep before he hit the ground and was out even when his body hit the ground with a dull thud.

Goodnight Troubles. Hello, Sleep. It was the best sleep ever.

His mother came in and seeing her son asleep on the floor, did the thing that any good mother would do. She took the fleece throw from his bed, laid it over her sleeping son, leaned over and kissed him gently on the head.

Dan woke up with a start and was dressed and out the door before he could get breakfast. He got as far as the front door steps when a mob of friends from school started crowding the steps and the sidewalk.

Who should the mob be led by, but Marcia Merribelle, pencil, paper, and camera all in tow. Dan knew that he was going to be sick.

Before Dad could say anything, he could see that the crowd of two hundred kids, being broken by Johnny who wore a grim face and a sour expression. He climbed the steps and addressed his friends and peers.

“Friends, I know why you are all here. You saw the news and you saw us. I understand that that makes Dan and I celebrities. However, we want nothing as celebrities. We are only twelve years old. We have lives ahead of ourselves. We cannot give God our all when we are being distracted by being celebrities. Thank you for coming but remember that we are friends and not celebrities. If you ask us at school about anything that happened in Germany, don’t expect an answer.”

With that, the crowd dispersed, disappointed murmurs rising from the crowd. Dan led Johnny through the house and to the back porch where they sat down and began to talk.

“Thanks for coming to my aid. You’d make a good speech maker.”

“No problem pal, as long as you become president. I got a tape from my dad of the newscast of us.” Johnny handed a silver disk to Dan.

Dan’s face blanched and as he took the disc and broke it in half and in half again. he handed the broken fragments back to Johnny.

“Look, pal. I know what you are trying to do and I appreciate it. But I want nothing to do
with what happened in Germany. I was a fool, Johnny. I nearly killed you and Max and brought shame to our family.”

“Dan, what you did was not your fault. What you did was the right thing. You were the very definition of courageous. I know that you feel guilty for what happened in Germany, but you have to learn from the past. Your dad's right, the adventures that we have now will be the stories we tell our children and grandchildren.”

“Thanks, pal. Hungry? I need breakfast. I think Daisy’s is still open”

“Sure, but it’s my treat. I still owe you for that lunch that you bought me before we left for Germany.”

Dan looked at Johnny as they walked downtown to Daisy’s. They tried to forget about the past week as they talked about  old times and the coming school year, both boys knew that in their hearts, their lives would never be the same again.