The Last Descendants | Teen Ink

The Last Descendants

By wolfnj17, greencastle , Pennsylvania
wolfnj17, Greencastle , Pennsylvania

It’s my first day at my new school, the last school kinda has a swimming pool for a parking lot (don’t ask how that happened cuz I don’t even know). After my new teacher Mr. Ragnar (Who seemed really familiar, even though I’m pretty sure I’ve never met him before) introduced me to my new class mates, there was a beep and the principal (Well I’m pretty sure it was the principal) started talking over the P.A system.
“Attention, would these students please come to the main office, Tyler Castillon and Justin Castillon.” How does the principal (or whoever it was) know that name? (By the way Justin is my little brother and we had both been adopted at a young age and we had our last names changed to Heath. I was eight so I was old enough to know what was going on, but Justin he was only two so from my understanding he does not know that we had been adopted.)
“Mr. Ragnar can I go to the bathroom?” Before he could answer, I bolted out the door, four steps from making it out the door I ran straight into another student. He fell right onto his back; I apologized and as I went to help him up and noticed that, his eyes were extremely red. (I know what you are thinking and no, I am pretty darn sure he wasn’t high, it was a different kind of red) as he grabbed my hand he said “thank you” in a very raspy voice.
Before he could say anything else, I ran off to the office. When I got there to my surprise, Justin was already there! Justin what are you doing here?
Justin replied, “Tyler I don’t know what’s going on I just felt very connected to that name…..Castillon”
“WHERE ARE THEY, WHERE ARE THE STONES?” a voice boomed! There was a loud BANG the door burst open and two skeletons wearing random pieces of pitch-black Knights armor limped through the door. I can see the rotting flesh holding the skeletons together, their eye sockets are filled with a ghastly white glow. One skeleton is holding a claymore, which emitted a black glow in one hand and nothing in the other hand. The other skeleton was wielding a black halberd. The skeleton with the claymore started walking towards Justin!
“Justin run hurry get out of here!” 
Justin quivered “I.. I.. I can’t. I can’t move my legs. Tyler help me.” The skeleton started to swing and before I could move to try to stop the skeleton, crystals immediately shot out of the ground with a loud crushing sound and hit the skeleton right in his skeletal face crushing its skull to dust. “What was that?”
A voice yelled with a demanding tone, “Tyler run behind the counter, there should be a box with both of your names on it…..your real names!”
“Mr. Ragnar was that you?”
The voice replied with frustration, “Yes, now do what I said, I’ll take care of the other skeleton!”
Justin shuddered “Tyler what what’s going on?”
“I don’t know yet just hold on buddy everything is gonna be okay” (I really didn’t think it was gonna be okay I just didn’t want Justin to be scared) As I ran behind the counter, all I can hear is the clashing of metal and weird whooshing sounds. As I’m looking around all I can see paper and debris all over the place but no box. “Mr. Ragnar I don’t see a box.” Then out of the corner of my eye, I see a small box that is emitting a blue and yellow glow. “Never mind I think I found it” there was a stabbing sound and then a loud screeching sound and the sound of bones falling to the floor.
Mr. Ragnar mumbled, “Got him.”  I went and picked up the box and the little sticker on the box read:
To: Tyler and Justin Castillon
From: Merlin
“From Merlin?! Mr. Ragnar what’s going on and who is this merlin guy?”
“Isn’t merlin “a so-called wizard” from the Camelot era?” Justin questioned.
Mr. Ragnar snapped “yes yes but there’s  no time for chit chat, we need to get out of here, before whoever conjured those skeletons comes back to finish the job himself.”

(I had no idea as to what was going on I just knew there was someone who can summon skeletons that was trying to find some stones or something.)  All that’s going down is so confusing, one minute I’m in class and then the principal calls two names over the P.A. system then I’m in the office watching some freaky bad A** teacher kill some skeletons with magic or something. I didn’t really get a good look at Mr. Ragnar until now; (he looks very familiar but I don’t know what from.) He isn’t very big, he is about 5’8 and most likely weighs around 132 pounds, he had long messy brown hair and very scruffy beard.
Mr. Ragnar sneered, “come on twerpettes we gotta get out of here.”
“Twerpettes! How dare you call us twerpettes especially me!” Tyler retorted.
“Wait Tyler does this guy seem familiar to you as well?”
Tyler replied, “Yeah I noticed that, why?”
“I only know of one person who ever used the term “Twerpette” and that is our old neighbor Arthur Ragnar.”
“Yep that’s me. But like I’ve said at least three times Let’s Go! The university is only a small flight away.” Arthur laughed.
“Flight!” Tyler mumbled as he passed out.
“He hates even the thought of having to get on planes; I don’t normally pass out until we are in the air”
“Oh that’s fine most sorcerers are like that.” Arthur laughed. We carried Tyler outside and there was a jet in the parking lot. We got aboard and got all buckled in, then we started to take off and……..
“Hey! Wake up we are here” Arthur laughed.

“wha what’s going on?”
“We are here... let’s go” Arthur explained.
“alright?” we hurried out of the plane, I don’t know how I didn’t faint again but oh well. As we’re walking I noticed a sign that said U.G.P. “What’s UGP?”
“university of gifted people.” Arthur explained.
“oh that’s very original.” All this time I was so caught up in my surroundings I didn’t even notice Justin was still there. He could have been trying to get my attention and I would not have even known.
“TYLER! LISTEN TO ME” Justin screamed. “what is going on and how are we connected to the name Castillon?”
I knew it was time to tell him. “Justin theres something I need to tell you. This is gonna be a little hard to explain so I’m just gonna say it… Justin we were adopted at a young age and our original name was Castillon, from what I understand our parents were murdered trying to find some ancient rocks”

I had always thought that the unexplained disasters that happened whenever I got angry or upset and being able to read or understand things no one else could, was always just a coincidence, but now I know that’s not true. I’ve learned that my brother Justin and I are somehow related to Merlin the great sorcerer and somehow we are very important.

“See ya Luke I gotta go find Justin”
Luke replied, “Alright bro but I think that’s Justin over there in the courtyard getting bullied by Anthony”
“Aww S*** I gotta go save the day” I ran over there and it wasn’t a pretty sight it looked like Anthony took a drawing or something of Justin’s and wouldn’t give it back.
“Give it back Anthony! Give me back my drawing!” Justin cried as Anthony held a piece of paper over his head, which looked to have a fiery puppy drawn on it.
Anthony laughed, “Oh you want you’re drawing of the puppy back!” Clenching my hands, I formed a fist. (I’m gonna teach this fool a lesson for messing with my little brother) 
Before I could do anything about it Justin’s eyes lit up to, a ghostly blue and he screamed as if he was possessed, “Give it back and it’s not a puppy, IT IS A HELLHOUND!” All of a sudden, the paper burst into a bright red flame, it burned away in seconds and out of the ashes, a flaming puppy emerged! This does not look like any ordinary puppy though (Other than the flames of course). The puppy looks like a wolf pup but is the size of a lion cub. Its fur is pitch black and its eyes, oh its eyes, are a demonic red color that seemed to look into your soul.
“What what the hell is that” Anthony quivered.
“It’s a hellhound,” Arthur laughed as he just randomly appeared.
  “Where the hell did you come from Arthur?” Before he could answer me, Justin collapsed on the ground and all our attention went to him.
Anthony laughed, “Ha the loser can’t even cast magic without fainting.”
What Anthony said infuriated me even more. I started to feel like I couldn’t control myself and I just screamed, “Anthony LEAVE HIM THE HELL ALONE!” As I’m screaming, the hellhound’s eyes are glowing an even brighter red and it seems like our emotions are in harmony. As I’m getting angry so is the hellhound. I start to feel different, and it looks as if the hellhound is growing it doesn’t even look like a puppy any more.
“What… what the hell is going on with you Tyler what are you doing to that... that thing” Anthony trembled. The hellhound barked and it echoed in my ears like thunder. Anthony jumped and tried to run but he fell on his face, I laughed and as I laughed, it seemed if the hellhound got happy.
“Arthur I don’t feel so good, I think I’m gonna pass…”

I don’t remember anything other than bright red flames, then everything went black, and now I woke up here. I got up and looked around; it looks like I am in a hospital room. You know the ones that are separated by a white curtain type thing. Then out of nowhere, I heard a faint humming through the curtain.
“Mmm…mhmmm”
I pushed through the curtain to go see who was humming and there was a girl just standing there looking in a cabinet. She looks around Tyler’s age. “Umm excuse me where am I?”
“Oh good your awake, and you’re in the infirmary, or nurses office as most people call it. Oh and my name is Alyssa Martin” she replied happily.
“Oh okay I’m Justin Heath, well Justin Castillon I don’t even know anymore. But can you tell me what happened?”
“You had used all of your manna to cast some weird spell and you passed out from it.” Alyssa explained.
“Well that’s weird. Hey do you know where my brother Tyler is?” Before she had, the chance to answer there was a knock at the door and Tyler walked in.

“Hey Justin we gotta go Arthur needs to talk to us.”
“Let me guess more stuff about Merlin” Justin questioned.
“I don’t know, I just know it has to deal with our parents... our real parents.”

to be continued...