Off the Radar (excerpt) | Teen Ink

Off the Radar (excerpt)

By MoonliteBlade, Miami, Florida
MoonliteBlade, Miami, Florida

“It has to be somewhere.” I muttered, scattering dust as I rummaged through the chest. “Really, the rubies are here Mr. Crenshaw I swear!” The revolver dug deeper into the back of my neck, a reminder that I’m running out of both time and excuses. “I should’ve killed you hours ago, leadin’ me on this wild goose chase!” The southern drawl almost seemed to emanate from the gun rather than the bearded Texan aiming it. Death seemed to get closer every nanosecond, but treasure hunters like me are used to the stakes of this trade. I need to get Crenshaw’s gun off me and then we’ll be getting somewhere. Pleading is my greatest option as of now. “Please Mr. Crenshaw, you have to believe me! The Belford family jewels were stored in this cave. Trust me, I was their only servant-“The cave began violently shaking. Luck is on my side, I thought. Now’s my chance. “The cave is collapsing!” I gasped, mustering up the most panicked sounding voice I could do. Crenshaw cursed and muttered. I felt the revolver leave my neck. It’s go time. I lift the treasure chest I was sifting through and hurled it at the back of Crenshaw’s head. I heard a loud crunch, followed by an even louder crack as the old treasure hunter hit the rocky floor.
                           “Oof, that must hurt huh?” I remarked at the unconscious Crenshaw, taking his revolver and making my way out of the trembling cave. Moonlight welcomed my exit of the cave and I fished for the prepaid phone in my pants pockets. I pressed a few buttons and held the phone to my ear. The phone on the other end picked up, and a soft, charismatic voice entered my ears. “Well, well, well! It looks like Nathan Morales is alive and well!” I smiled, somehow content hearing that arrogant voice. “Don’t sound so surprised, Belford.” I heard the young man recline in his squeaky chair. “Now onto more important matters. Where are the jewels and how is Old Man Crenshaw?” I grinned even larger. “The jewels never left your attic, it was all a bait! And Crenshaw…” I heard the cave finally collapse behind me, dust spreading from the rubble. “…Has been dealt with.” I hung up the phone.