The Luminary

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Chapter 3

"This is your captain speaking. We have approximately 15 hours remaining on our trip. First class, please help yourselves to refreshments and make yourselves comfortable."  A voice came over the intercom.
"He didn't even bother to mention the thousands of kids in the back." Alis muttered.
"There's nothing we can do about it, Alis. So why worry about it? I mean, all of them are lucky considering some kids didn't even make it on the train." Lu didn't agree with the whole 'first class' thing one bit. If they'd all crammed in like the other kids had been forced to, they could've fit at least 100 more bodies. What made matters worse, was that there were at least 20 empty seats in the cart even without cramming in.
"Yeah, but still." despite her young age, Alis was very caring and compassionate towards others. She'd always been the 'nice sister'.
"Oh, there's the food cart!" Lu whispered excitedly, leaning over Lore's seat to get a better view. A woman was pushing a cart filled with snacks like pretzals and chips, as well as cans of soda and bottles of water.
"You're not really gonna take anything, are you?" Alis asked, leaning forward so she could see it too.
"Why wouldn't I?"
"Because. Those people back there don't get anything, why should we be treated to snacks?"
Lu rolled her eyes,"Just because they don't get anything, doesn't mean we don't."
"Two of those mini-Pringle cans please." Lu said to the waitress.
She handed one to Alis and one to Lu, before she continued on down the isle.
"You guys are the engineer's daughters aren't you?" asked the girl from the seat beside them. Like Lore, she was seated by herself. Her hair was blonde, but her roots were dark brown making it obvious she'd had her dyed that color. She was short, like really short. Her feet didn't even touch the ground. She had a long nose, and a large black mole to the right of her lips.
"Yeah, why?" Lu asked, opening the can of chips before turning her gaze to the girl.
"Just wondering." the girl replied, her brows pressed together thoughtfully. Despite her words, her dark eyes said something else. She turned her gaze away from Lu and Alis to stare out the window.
Lu took into note the girls outfit, and realized how underdressed she was. Lu herself was wearing a tank top and flip flops, while the other girl wore a heavy, warm looking leather jacket with matching brown winter boots.
"We're going to Canada." Lu muttered to herself, resting her head in the palms of her hands.
"Yeah, so?" Alis asked, puzzled.
Alis had always been smarter than Lu- she had thrown a thick hoodie and a pair converse. While Alis had had warmth in mind, Lu had only been thinking about how she looked.
"Isn't it really cold in Canada?"
"Oh... It is. You're gonna be freezing."
"Actually," Lore turned around again,"It depends on where and when you go."
"So where are we going? Do you even know?" Lu pressed.
"I do know, actually. My father's the captain of Virginia's militia afterall." He stated proudly.
"So... Where are we going?" Lu asked, annoyance clearly lining her voice.
"We're going to Quebec. In the middle of Winter. Don't count on it being warm."
Lu leaned her head back against the headrest, "Like, how cold is it gonna be?"
"Last year, around this time, it was an average of negative two degrees."
"Welp, I'm screwed."
"Don't worry, if you get to cold you can borrow my jacket." Lore said with a sweet smile.
Lu looked up at him, and couldn't help but return his smile. He had nothing but a thin cotton sweater on top of his white button up shirt and vest.
"Tell me, if you knew it was going to be so cold, why didn't you wear more?" Lu asked.
"I have four layers on under this."
"Oh, never mind then." taking that cotton sweater won't make the tiniest bit of difference to him, but it'll make a world of difference to her.
They rode in silence for a while, Lu fell asleep at one point, only to be woken up by the intercom as the man spoke again.
"This is your captain speaking. We have 10 hours remaining on our trip. First class, please help yourselves to refreshments. Second class, a waitress is coming around with crackers for you."
"At least now they get to eat a little bit." Alis muttered, shaking her head lightly.
"Excuse me, m'am. Is there a restroom?" Lu asked the waitress once she arrived at their seats.
"Yes, it's at the back of the cart to your right." the lady said with a smile, before placing two bags on the trays in front of them.
"Thanks." Lu said as she walked away.
Alis opened the bag in front of her, and continued shaking her head. "Lu, this is filled with food. I'd feel so bad eating all this. It's just not fair."
Lu didn't reply. Sure, she thought it was unfair, but it wasn't their fault they had a rich mother. She was grateful and wasn't going to let it go to waste.
"I'll be right back." Lu got to her feet and stumbled to the back of the train. She'd been so busy trying to keep herself standing, she didn't notice the girl that'd been sitting in the isle beside them get up and follow her.
Lu tugged at the bathroom's door handle,"I'm in here!" a girl called from within, clearly annoyed at the sudden disturbance.
"Sorry." she muttered, backing up a few paces to lean against the other side of the train and wait.
The girl who'd followed her over stopped when Lu stepped away from the door, stumbling as the train turned a sharp corner.
"You waiting too?" Lu asked.
"No, I actually wanted to talk to you."
"Yeah? What d'you need?"
"I just wanted to tell you... My mother, she worked with yours. She was an engineer too. She's the reason I'm in this cart instead of one of the ones back there. Anyways," Lu noticed something slide out of her sleeve and into her hand,"She's dead because of you and your family. And, I've wanted to get payback ever since."
Then, everything went downward. Even the train. It started downhill going 60 miles per hour. Both Lu and the girl lost their balance and slid down the isle, screaming.
Lu managed to grab hold of a seat leg, and the girl ceased the oppurtunity, and grabbed Lu's leg.
"She has a knife!" someone screamed, and immedate chaos brokeo out! Everybody was out of there seats- some even stood on their chairs to get away from her. Boys and girls alike were yelling at the top of their lungs, trying to get somebody, anybody to notice.
"Wha-What is going on in there?" the captain called over the intercom,"Stop yelling!"
The train had picked up speed, and was now soaring downhill! Despite countless attempts, neither Lu or the girl could get back to there feet.
"Lu!" Alis exited the row they'd been assigned to, and one seat at a time, inched her way towards her sister. She was crouched on the ground, so it was easier for her to stay afoot.
She reached her hand towards Lu, and when their hands finally locked together, Alis pulled with all her might. Lu kicked at the ground, trying to regain her footing, and in doing this, the girl lost her grip and was sent flying into the front door.
The sisters finally managed to make it to a set of empty seats where they buckled themselves in. The train hadn't slowed down one bit.
Little did the passangers know, the engine room was just as chaotic as the first car had been. Going downhill was always dangerous, and going very, very slowly was key. At the bottom of this very hill, was a sharp curve which could only be made if going 20 miles per hour or less. They were currenly at 80 miles and counting, heading straight for the turn.
The screams had distracted the captain long enough for him to misjudge the braking time. He and two other men were leaning all there wait on the giant lever that was the emergeny brake, but it was no use.
With a loud snap the railing at the curve broke in two, and the train hurlted into the trees.

This book has 4 comments. Post your own now!

ilovereading123 said...
Apr. 5, 2016 at 8:27 am
please update soon! i want to read more! its really good

laurenlovebug replied...
I'll add more as soon as I can lol XD

Writergirl009 said...
Sounds interesting! You obviously are quite a talented writer!

laurenlovebug replied...
Thank you! That means a lot! :)