The Sting | Teen Ink

The Sting

January 29, 2016
By Daniel.W.Evensen PLATINUM, Eagle River, Wisconsin
More by this author
Daniel.W.Evensen PLATINUM, Eagle River, Wisconsin
44 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
Isaiah 40:31
Those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength, they will run and not be faint, walk and not be weary.


Author's note:

Join Dan and Johnny as they learn the meaning of Romans 8:28. 'All things work together, for the good of those who love me, who are called according to your purpose.'

A tall stranger shivered in the gusty, fall, Montana wind as his shadow fell in the noontime sun. This man, though he had not been in Cross for over four years, was no stranger to the cold winds that bit his face just as much as he was not a stranger to the town that lay before him, greeting him.

24 year old Daniel Evensen, was back in the town that he had always and always would call home.

Six years and a week ago, Dan left the town of Cross, Montana to attend St. Norberts College in Green Bay in his home state of Wisconsin. Along the way he had gotten his teachers licence, which was the main reason that he was back in Cross.

When he had left, he was a thin, scrawny twig of a boy. Now, after three years of enlisting with the Wisconsin National Guard, he was taller, stronger and better built than ever. He looked older and wiser, more full of confidence and a sort of pride that any American would be proud to have. His face now showed some excessive signs of wear and tear, and his hair held signs of gray.

He had not been back in town since he had left for college, due to the distance and three deployments to Iraq and Iran. His parents had always managed to come and visit him. He decided that he wanted to break that cycle of dependency and move back to the place that he loved and to the people that he loved as well.

Dan looked at his old home and wished that, just like the town, he had not changed. If only all things could stay the same. Though he was among friends, he felt like a stranger.

Dan was elated to be back, nevertheless, and knew that his parents would be too.  His dad, who was at this time 60 years old, was shortly retired from being a pastor due to a stroke that he had suffered a year or two ago. His mother had also retired from a long nursing career at Cross Memorial Hospital. It was an offer to that same hospital that had dragged Dan to this town at the age of 12, kicking and screaming, and changing his life, forever.

As Dan passed the Old Mill Pond, he couldn’t help but reminisce. It was only 12 falls ago that Dan had moved here and saved his best friend, Johnny Elwood from a near death, drowning experience. The scene came into to his mind, more vivid than ever before.

There he was, pushing an unknown person up and out of the water. Soon he was pulling the boy onto the bank and checking his pulse. He heard the sound of an ambulance and felt someone loading him onto a stretcher.

Dan came back to reality, unable to finish the thought at hand, as another cold gust of wind chilled his back. Dan glanced at his watch and saw that it was almost one O’clock. He quickened his pace. All of a sudden, he heard a shrill voice from behind him.

“Oh, Daniel! You’re back.” Oh goodness!

Dan knew the voice before he even saw the speaker. It was Marcia Merribelle, an old school friend, who has had a major crush on him ever since he had moved to Cross and judging by the excitement in her voice, she still did.

She was kind of cute, but Dan knew that nothing would ever happen between them. They were only friends, besides she had been the daughter of the mayor of Cross and now her father owned Mit-Mak, the life-line of the town, which manufactured dog food. That made her one of the wealthiest girls in town.

She had also been in his graduating class. High Honors just like him and Johnny.  3.99 GPA. She had been back in town for well over a year after getting a four year degree in literature at the University of Montana, Helena.

As Dan turned around, Marcia ran up to him and threw her arms around him in a warm hug, her chestnut brown hair getting in his face.

“I can’t believe how much you have changed. It’s like I have discovered the fountain of youth. You’re look like you have walked through a war-zone. Maybe once you get unpacked, we can get something to eat and you know, catch up. I am dying to know how college was for you.”

Dan quickly pulled Marcia's’ hands away from his neck, brushed away her hair and looked at her with a look of urgency.

“Hey Marcia, uh, look, I can’t talk right now. I would love to but, I’m in the middle of seeing my parents. I’ll talk to you later though. My number is 607.867.53o9. Call me.”

Dan could hear Marcia giggling. He got that reaction all the time.

“Keep that dinner date open.”

Maybe he wasn’t so worried about being forgotten. After six years, Marcia could still talk faster than he could think. It was obvious that that practice would not change.

As Dan hurried down Main Street, he glanced at the stores. Indeed nothing had changed. Marty’s Meats still had the Red Cow (that he and Johnny and three other pals once broke during a snowball fight) over the shop door. Fred the Barber (though he had no longer had hair) was still business. The bakery and Daisy’s Cafe were still open and still being run by the same Ms. Sue, who had not yet married. It was like taking a trip back in time

He turned onto Oak Street and hurried to the two story, yellow house that he recognized as his own. The red mail box, though pretty beat up, still read ‘Evensen’.

He stopped at the porch steps and took in the memories of how many times he had tramped up and down these very steps. After taking in 6 years of memories, he climbed the steps only to find that the door was ajar. That's odd. His parents never left the door open. This could only mean one thing. Trouble.

Dan proceeded through the house with an air of caution. Indeed, after a thorough search, the house was empty. That just didn’t make sense. Sure, they were getting older, but Dan knew that his father, who had a horrible case of chronic OCD about everything, would not forget a small, no, miniscule detail like a door.

Dan went upstairs to his old bedroom. He found it locked. After trying to muscle the door open, (to no avail) he remembered the pin on top of the door-frame. Within a moment he was in the room.

Wow, after all these years, his room was still painted blue. His closet still had his old clothes in it. The sheets were still the same olive green that had left. The desk had not been moved and the fist sized hole that he and Johnny had burned in his carpet was still there. (Don’t ask!)

His fourteen trophies from various sports were still lined up along the wall grouped together by sport. (In order, the trophies were track, lacrosse, wrestling, baseball and cross-country.)

The black leather bound Bible that he had left on his bed stand when he had left was still there as well. He quickly grabbed it, blew off the three inches of dust and put it gently into his backpack.

Seeing the Bible alone on the bedstand sent a shot of guilt through Dan’s conscience. He hadn’t been very faithful in the past years in reading his Bible or attending church.

As Dan sat there on his bed, he could not help but bask in the warm memories of his childhood. How quickly it had come and gone. He was reminded of his great dislike for change as he looked at his bed stand and saw a picture of him and Johnny, when they were 13 years old.

They were standing on the dock of the Old Mill Pond, right before going fishing. Fishing had been a past time that they had both loved doing. It had been the day that Dan had fallen out of the boat and almost drowned. His legs had been caught in an old fishing net. His struggling had caused him to sink further. Johnny jumped out and cut the ropes. Thanks to Johnny, he was still alive. (Johnny, in a way, payed back the debt for Dan saving his life.)

A warm tear came to his eye. He sat there and prayed quietly, thanking God for the gift of childhood.

Suddenly there came a SLAM! from downstairs. Dan jumped from where he sat and brushed away the tear. Someone was in the house. Could it be someone who knew that he was back? Wait! He had not told anyone that he was back. And other than Marcia, he hadn’t seen anyone on the streets. The question that hit Dan hardest was staring him in the face: Where are his parents?

Dan didn’t know if the intruder was armed or not, but being in the Army taught him some thing; never underestimate the odds of survival. He tiptoed down the hall to his parents room. He knew that his dad always kept a .44 Magnum revolver in his shirt drawer. Dan found it and realized that the revolver was unloaded. It was a bluff, but it just might do.

Dan made his way carefully down the steps. As he made his way into the kitchen he heard a CREAK! behind him. Dan tensed himself for action, c***ed the gun for effect, spun around, drew his gun and faced his attacker. Unfortunately for Dan, his attacker had the same idea. Now Dan found himself staring down the barrel of a Browning 44 Auto.  Fortunately for him, Dan knew that the attacker would not fire.

“Mr. Gregary, what are you doing here?” asked Dan in shock.

Mr. Gregory had been Dan's next door neighbor ever since he could remember. Mr. Gregory turned and put his pistol away.

“I would ask you the same thing, son, but I have no idea what is going on. All I know is that I saw the front door open and I came to see if your parents were okay.”

“Do you know where my parents are?” asked Dan. Mr. Gregory only shook his head.

“Son, I would love to tell you, but no one has seen your parents in over two weeks.” Dan stepped back.

This was so unlike his parents. They never left without telling anyone and certainly never that long.

Dan closed his eyes, racking his brain for anything that might bring back any recollection of where his parents might be. As he came back to the present, he heard Mr. Gregory talking to him.

“Son, this is just plain weird if you ask me. About a week ago, your pal Johnny came back only to find that his parents were gone just like yours. He took off back to Minneapolis he was back but, know he’s gone again. If you find him, tell him that I said ‘Hi’.”

Johnny! Dan knew that his friend had just came back from Northwestern College in St. Paul-Minneapolis, Minnesota. If the same thing happened to his parents. . . ‘Lord help me’ he thought.

Thoughts began to run through Dan’s head and trust me, they weren’t of lollipops and rainbows.

Dan thanked Mr. Gregory and bounded out the door. He had to find his friend before it was too late, the only problem was that Dan had no idea what ‘too late’ was.

Outside, a gusty breeze had picked up as Dan plowed full force through it, almost getting blown over.

‘I have got to get to Johnny. I have got to get to Johnny. I have got to get to Johnny.’ was the only thing on Dan’s mind.

The cold air bit at Dan’s face and hands, as if to say ‘you are not welcomed here.’ Dan wondered if he should take heed of their warning.

As Dan rounded the top of the hill he came into view of a blue, two story house much like his own.  He ran as hard as he could. He got to the front steps, and without missing a beat, he bounded up the steps and tried the door. It was locked. Dan knew that there was a key in the flower pot by the door. However, the flower pot was gone. Uh oh!

Dan had no idea what was going on, but he knew that he had to get to Johnny. He racked his brain for an alternative entry. The back door? No, it was always locked. The basement windows? No go. They had long since been boarded up those. Johnny’s bedroom window? Yes! He always kept it cracked so that Dan could sneak in. Yes! Let’s just hope that like this town, that practice had not changed.

The problem with Dan’s idea was that Johnny’s bedroom window was on the second story and the drainpipe that Dan had always used to shinny up was gone.

As Dan looked for an alternative way to get up there, he remembered the thick lattice panel under Johnny’s window. (The boys had made that panel as an emergency ladder.)

The lattice was now substantially worn in some areas. It was not much, but it looked like it could hold his 158 pound frame.

Two minutes later, after so very carefully climbing up the lattice Dan got to the window, and just as he remembered, it was unlocked. He slid up the window and crawled inside.

Dan was met by a navy blue room. It was the same color that Johnny had left before he and Dan had left for college. The wall that was next to the window was still decked with all the awards and achievements that Johnny had received in high school and middle school. ‘Why can’t anything change around here?’ Thought Dan to himself.

As Dan walked from Johnny's room to the hallway, he heard a board groan from behind him. Was someone in the house with him? That was impossible. He had entered the room alone  and he had made sure to check. Besides, no one would be able to follow him up that lattice without his knowledge. On a whim, Dan decided to check.

Dan carefully went back into the room he had just come from. Nothing was different. He checked behind the door before moving to the closet. No one was there.  He opened the closet and rifled through Johnny’s clothes.

Nobody home, just a whole lot of dust. Johnny still had his warm-up wrestling hoodie from 8th grade and his Uncle Benny’s football jersey from a game at the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire, his dad's Alma Mater.

Dan closed the doors to the closet and prepared to leave when suddenly a strong arm wrapped around his chest, forcing a white cloth. to his nostrils.

All too late Dan smelled the sweet smell of chloroform and as if he had been hit on the head, he fell to the floor with a dull thud.

In life, there are firsts for everybody, including Daniel Evensen, who up to this point thought that he had seen and done everything.

He awoke without the slightest knowledge of where he was. That was truly a first, for Dan always knew where he was when he woke up.

  He woke up with his arms and legs tied to a chair that was bolted to the floor. Being a survivor of a hostage crisis, that had never happened to him. (Though he had been shackled to a wall, but that's a different story for a different time.)

As he looked at his surroundings he found that he was in a white rectangular room lit by one light bulb. And I don’t mean fluorescents. I mean the old time bulbs. In the center of the room was a table with a chair behind it. Dan realized just then that he was moving. He speculated that he was on a moving box car. The question standing was, where and what was the destination?

Without a moment to think, a door from behind him opened and in walked a familiar face that had seemed to fade with age.

“Uncle Max!” shouted Dan with the same excitement that he had always greeted his uncle.

Max had definitely changed over the years. His black hair now had highlights of gray that were well matched with his gray mustache. Amazingly, Max still had a good build for his age. Overall, Dan thought that his uncle was very well preserved and still looked like his father. Dan hoped that someday, he would be able to keep that kind of youthfulness.

“Daniel, what a pleasant surprise.” said Uncle Max with a smirk.

“I hope that you are doing well with your accommodations.”

“Max, I don’t mean to be rude, but if you don’t let me loose in one minute, when I do get loose, I swear I’ll break your face.”

Max only chuckled as he untied Dan’s wrists ankles from the arms and legs of the chair.

“My, oh my. Dan, you know better than to make threats.”

“It wasn’t a threat Max, it was a promise. Do you mind telling me what's going on.”

Max looked at his nephew and ushered him to sit at the chair behind the desk. He flipped through a manilla folder and pulled out two pictures: one of a well built man in military garb and another of a man in a well pressed suit. Max also pulled out an aged newsprint.

Max handed the newsprint to Dan and slid the pictures of the men in front of him.

“Daniel, do you know these men and do you know this news print.?” Asked Max as Dan studied the pictures and the newsprint.

“Yes, I do. The first man is Wilhelm Strauss and the second is James Gregory, my next door neighbor. The news print was. . . from 12 years ago, when I was last in Berlin.  What does this have to do with anything?” said Dan sharply as he finished the article.

“The last time you were in Germany, you, Johnny and myself had a little run in with Wilhelm Strausse. The last time we were there, I told you that I was part of the AS6. I now head that Unit. The reason that you are here is because we need your help.”

“If you’re here to recruit me for something, I think that you could have done it a lot less forcefully. Maybe sent me a letter. You got my address.” Stated Dan very impatiently.

“It’s not that easy. Wilhelm Strausse is back, and more powerful than when we left him. You see, Wilhelm is using an informer to keep tabs on you. If we made an open move, then that could have endangered you and me. We have reason to believe that James Gregory is that informer.”

“What makes you think that my closest neighbor is a German spy?” asked Dan, knowing very well that Max could be playing tricks.

“Two weeks after you and your father came back from Germany, Mr. Gregory moved in. You see, I was going through some old immigration papers and I came across his face. He arrived in the States under the pseudonym of James Gregory. His real name is Johann Von Hogan. His occupation was military surveillance and recon, now he’s a mercenary/assassin that will work for anyone who offers the right price.”

“Max, a few old immigration papers doesn’t make my neighbor a spy or a mercenary/whatever.” Said Dan bluntly.

“When you encountered Gregary in your house, he had a gun. Do you know why?”  

“How did you know? He said that it he came to see if my parents were alright”.

“He came to kill you. How would he know when to enter the house at the right time had he not seen you. And if you remember, that was the New Regime’s signature weapon. We need your help to crack down on Wilhelm and find out what is going on.”

Dan looked away as he answered his uncle.

“No. I can’t. I almost killed you and Johnny the last time I pulled that stunt. I am not going to repeat the same mistake I made twelve years ago.”

“I figured that you would say that. Things have become more complicated than you think. Your parents, along with Johnny’s have gone missing. We have surveillance pictures of them entering the Reichstag two days after they went missing. They haven’t come out since. Johnny has agreed to be a part of this operation because his parents are involved. I was hoping that you would feel the same way.”

“You can validate this as a hostage crisis then, can’t you?” asked Dan.

We can’t validate this as a hostage crisis. That would only make things messy and we can’t risk Wilhelm panicking and getting rid of all the evidence. I believe that they were kidnapped because of you. We don’t know why.”

“Max, you know very well that I am retired from active duty.”

If you won’t infiltrate Wilhelm for me, do it for you parents. Now son, if you will, stand so that I can get a good look at you.”

Dan stood and faced his uncle. Suddenly he heard a door softly open behind him. As Dan turned around, WHACK! Something that felt like the stock of a rifle, connected with Dan’s face.  Dan’s body flipped from the chair where he had been standing and landed on the floor, landing at the feet of his uncle.

Max kneeled next to Dan and checked to see if he was alright. Then he took a radio from his breast pocket on his coat and called the engineer and ordered him to stop the train. As they came to a full stop, the side door to the boxcar was opened. With the help of the guard who had hit Dan, Max picked up his nephew and threw him off the train.

Before Max ordered the train to move on, he watched his nephew's body roll down the embankment with a grin.

Daniel Evensen woke up with the worst headache ever. The worst part is, he remembered very little of what happened. All he remembered was getting hit and being moved.

As Dan got up from where he lay, he felt the side of his face and though it felt like Mount Everest was growing on the side of his face, all he felt was a deep gash and no bruise. He found that he was on a bench in front of the Holocaust Museum. In Berlin, Germany.

He got up and scanned his surroundings. He looked back at the bench to see that his backpack was there. He looked and found that a few items had been placed into it. His Bible was still there, along with a  bottle of water, a knife and a Beretta 92FS. The gun was a model that. . . never mind that. Funny things to be carrying around.  Dan searched the bag once more only to find a letter in the bottom. Dan opened it and it read the following:

Dear Daniel,
I am very sorry about all the commotion on the train. I hope that we didn’t hurt you to bad. You are to meet Johnny at the Brandenburg Gate. He will be sitting underneath the center colonnade. When you approach him, he will address you as Konrad. You will address him as Friedrich. Your wallet contains 200€ and a keycard. It is important that you keep that key card safe and under no condition out of your sight. It is an access pass into any where in the Reichstag Building. Friedrich will help you get your disguise. Be careful. Gregory has been told to follow you. You can not give yourself away. This is a sting operation. You get in and you get out. When you rescue your parents, if Wilhelm engages you, you are to TAKE HIM OUT AT WHATEVER COST! Destroy this note as soon as you finish reading it.
I love you and pray for the best. Bring my brother back alive. Godspeed and may God bless you. Remember, I’ll be watching you. -Max

Needless to say, Dan was confused and had no idea what to do. But what choice did he have. Follow his fruitcake uncle, or let his parents suffer at the hands of a fruitcake tyrant. Either way, Dan knew that he was in a pickle.

After Dan ripped up the note, he searched his coat pocket and found his lighter. He set the note on fire and let it drop to the ground as soon as the flame met his finger tips. Dan, being thirsty at this point, lifted the bottle to his lips. Before the water got to Dan’s lips he threw down the bottle. Champagne with Cyanide. Take Wilhelm out at any cost. That cost could have been his very life.

He picked up his stuff and started walking in the direction of the Brandenburg Gate.
As Dan topped the steps of the Brandenburg, a familiar voice called out behind him.

“Konrad, I am glad to see that you made it here safely.” Dan turned and faced the speaker. ‘Johnny, you old dog.’ thought Dan.
 

Johnny definitely had not changed. He was still the same height as he was when they had left for college. Though Dan was now a few inches taller than Johnny, Johnny looked equally built. His face had retained a certain youthfulness that Dan so desperately lacked. His long blonde hair had been shaved into a short buzz cut. (Think an older version of Jon Bon Jovi.)

Friedrich grabbed Dan by his arm and led him across the Pariser Platz. He hailed a cab and in a few blocks, they were standing outside, staring at a very familiar sight. It was the Hotel Hansablick Garni where they had stayed 12 years before.

Without speaking Johnny ushered Dan through the doors and made their way to the front desk.

‘Friedrich’ ushered ‘Konrad’ into the room adjacent to the secretary's desk. As soon as Johnny closed the door, he motioned for Dan to be quiet and pointed to his shoe. Johnny then went and examined the clock, radio and the curtains.

Dan realized that Johnny was looking for bugs. Dan remembered that the most common place for bugs to be placed were in the heel of his shoe. He removed his shoes and lifted the insoles up ever so carefully. Sure enough, hidden in the left heel was a small black recorder.

Dan surmised that it had been placed there by his uncle. Looking at the miniscule bug he remembered his uncle's words from so many years backs.

“Our job is so important that if we were compromised, the United States could be in jeopardy.”

Without hesitation, Dan crushed the bug, just as Johnny started speaking to him.

“Alright. I think we are in the all clear. Dan, it’s good to see you again, old pal.”

“Johnny, how did you know how to look for bugs? You hated that old spy stuff that I used to make you read.” asked Dan who was very surprised that his best friend had turned into some kind of James Bond or Ethan Hunt.

“Don’t sweat it, old pal. Your uncle knew that you would be very reluctant to join me, after the words that we had that day that we returned from Germany. Max gave me a very quick crash course on finding bugs and monitors. In fact, Max had rigged your house up with bugs to keep tabs on your parents. When they disappeared, Gregory started frequenting your house. He would always have a Beretta handy.”

Johnny turned to his friend and started smiling.

“I heard you were back in Cross. Whatcha’ been up to lately?” Dan looked at his friend and smiled also.

“Ah, nothing. I just got my teacher's license. It was the reason that I was back. I was going to take Mr. Kingsford's place since he retired. Before that I was enlisted in the Wisconsin National Guard.”

“Mr. Kingsford? That old fossil finally retired? What is he, a hundred?” asked Johnny.

“Mr. Kingsford is 72. I am with the 22nd Airborne Rescue. I’m a chopper pilot.” replied Dan with a hint of pride.

“I’m surprised, you never were that good at math. Anyway, that’ll help us when we bust the Reichstag. That place has been totally flipped. Remember the green park that was in front? Now it's a parking lot for tanks, armored trucks and choppers.” As soon as Johnny finished he tossed a bag of clothes onto the bed where Dan sat.

Dan opened the the bag and had to draw his breath back. The dress line-up included black slacks, a white dress shirt, a gray jacket and black tie. Along with those, came a pair of black knee-high, military grade dress boots and red beret. Dan now realized what the Beretta was for.

“In the twelve years that we have been absent, Wilhelm has not bothered changing his wardrobe, eh?” joked Dan wholeheartedly.

“Pretty much. Get dressed. We leave for the Reichstag as soon as you are changed.”
 

As Dan and Johnny left the hotel, he could not help but notice that there were uniformed guard patrolling the streets. Dan fingered his holster for his Beretta, but did not draw it.

As he walked solemnly down the sidewalk he knew that both he and Johnny were thinking the same thing. ‘If Wilhelm has done anything to my parents, may God have mercy on him, because I will not.’ (General Patton in context to the Germans. How ironic is that?)

Suddenly, Dan noticed a uniformed officer decked with all kinds of insignias and medals, walking towards them. He stopped and addressed Johnny in German.

“Guten tag, Herr Volstig. Where are you off to?” Before Johnny could answer, Dan spoke up, mustering the best German accent that he could.

“We are off to the Reichstag to report for patrol duty.” The guard nodded, saluted and let the men pass.

As soon as the officer was out of earshot, Johnny turned to Dan and quietly explained the operation.

“Alright, here's the game plan. We arrive at the Reichstag and we check in. The keycard pass will let us in. After we get in we report to officer Von Hogan. Be careful. Von Hogan is James Gregory. He has been ordered to bring you to Wilhelm if he sees you. When we leave for our rounds, go upstairs and hang an immediate right. Wilhelms office is through a series of oak doors. You need to look around the room. Act like an intruder.”

“Friedrich, aren’t we already intruders?” asked Dan, calling his partner by his codename a another officer passed them.

“You know what I mean. The security cams will be off. Once you get in, wait five minutes. I will come around sound the alert for an intruder and take you to Wilhelm.”

“That’s ludicrous!” shouted Dan.

“If you want to find our parents, you will cooperate. Wilhelm is holding your parents in the basement of the Reichstag. If he is a psychotic as I know he is, then once he realizes that it is you, he’’l take you down to your parents along with me who will be your jailor. What I want to know is, why does he want to torture you if he has ordered Gregory to splatter your guts on the sidewalk.”

“No idea, maybe he does have a conscience, or maybe we have a case of Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde going on.” joked Dan. Even in a time of dire stress Dan always had the uncanny ability to make a joke, much like Ronald Reagan.
 
“Be careful. Hey look we’re here.”

Both Dan and Johnny looked to see the gigantic Reichstag looming ahead of them. Sure enough the green park had been replaced by a hideous platform of steel and concrete that held three assault tanks, two armored trucks and two ‘Huey’ helicopters. The rest of the platform was made up of a large bunker like structure that had parapets and trenches and was surrounded by an armament of strategically placed machine guns.

Before the boys made their way. Dan put his hand on Johnny’s arm and Johnny did the same. Dan led led the them in a word of prayer.

“Lord God in Heaven, I pray that you protect us and that you protect our parents. Lord in your name, Amen.”

With heavy hearts, the duo began the sting operation.
 

As the boys got closer to the building, a small crowd of uniformed guards that looked no younger than Johnny, were gathered around the front door. Dan looked at Johnny who did not return his look. Dan knew that his face could be the only give-away. Dan and Johnny joined the crowd and started mingling.

Soon the crowd began to move. Dan found himself walking through the large doors of the Reichstag Building.

All too soon he found himself looking upon a familiar sight. It was the lobby that only 12 years before, Dan and Johnny had run through trying to escape being caught by guards. It really hadn’t changed. Dan knew that his uncle had no power here. He and Johnny were all alone.

Checking in for security detail was easier than stealing candy from a baby. Or so he thought.

As the small detail of guard broke off into their certain areas of the Reichstag, Dan saw the flight of stairs and went up it.

Down the stairs, came two faces that made Dan almost gag.

It was James Gregory and Wilhelm Strausse. Wilhelm had changed greatly over the past twelve years. The long, dark hair that he had once neatly sported was gone. his head was cleanly shaven. Dan now stood over him, but Dan knew that his height was nothing to Strausses incredibly built stature. Dan noticed that Strausses eyes were sunken back as if lost in time.

Gregary on the other hand was dressed in the same uniform as he with little or no insignia.

How he had learned to loathe Wilhelm over the past twelve years and Gregary over the past twelve hours.

Dan turned his head and continued his way but was stopped by a familiar voice that sent chills through every being of his mind, body and soul.

“Herr Reede, where are you off to?” questioned Wilhelm as ‘Konrad’ turned and faced his enemy.

Something was wrong. He had been addressed in English

“I am reporting for duty on the upper level, sir.” Dan knew that it was pathetic lie, but hoped that it would pass. Trying to mask his surprise, ‘Konrad’ answered back in German, but knew that his efforts were in futile. He had somehow been ratted out.

“Come with me. I have need for an officer elsewhere.” Wilhelm waved his arm as Dan followed.

Dan knew not where he was going, but was sure on one thing. Wilhelm could be leading him to his doom. Only time would tell.

Have you ever had that feeling of queesiness in your stomach or in your legs whenever you got called down to the principal's office? That is exactly what Dan felt as he followed Wilhelm and Gregory down the steps, to the right and down a dark narrow corridor.

Wilhelm signaled with his hand to another nearby guard and without hesitation, the guard fell in behind Daniel. As the guard fell in, Dan realized who it was. It was Johnny. What a relief and how convenient. It was a little too convenient.

Dan followed his quarry as they disappeared down a set of marble stairs. As the party reached the bottom of the stairs, Dan realized where he was. He was in Wilhelms dungeon. Either side of the corridor was lined with cells. Wilhelm went to one, unlocked it and ushered the men inside. From the outside, both men saw four prisoners lined by a wall and a metal table in the center of the cell.

What awaited both Dan and Johnny was something that would linger in their minds for the rest of their lives.

Chained to the wall of the far side of the cell were two elderly women, one with brownish gray hair and one with red hair that showed shades of gray. Alongside them were two elderly men, one with completely gray hair and one with blonde yet graying hair. Dan and Johnny immediately knew them. They were their parents. 

Dan gasped as he saw his father and his mother chained to the wall. That was a bad idea.

“Well, Daniel Evensen. It has been the longest time since I last saw you. Let me have a look at you.” Wilhelm stepped in front of Daniel, removed the beret and took a look at him.

Wilhelms dark and colorless eyes bore into every essence of Dan’s soul.

Without warning, Wilhelm grabbed Dan’s hair, and kneed him in the face. Dan fell back in agony. Both the women began to scream and the men shouted out in protest and in anger.

As Dan regained himself, he felt himself being lifted from under the arms by Johnny and being held up by him as if on life-support.

“Herr Volstig, show our young friend to the table.” commanded Wilhelm.

‘Herr Volstig’, Johnny, grabbed Dan’s hair, jerked his head back and smiled. It was not a cruel smile, but a smile that meant to say ‘I’m sorry, but I have to do this to protect us both.’

Dan felt his face meeting the cold, hard table top. His face hit the table top not once, not twice but twenty times according to what he felt and what Johnny told him. Dan could hear the women crying and the men shouting in anguish. How it pained him to hear them weep.

Suddenly a voice cried out, and amazingly, it was in his defense. 

“Stop. We must have this man alive. He cannot be broken in any way.” The voice was one that Dan recognized. It was Gregary.

Was his neighbor actually trying to defend him? It made no sense. Dan’s face was slammed once more before Johnny threw his body off to the side.

“Officer Von Hogan, give me your weapon, I wish to see it.” Gregary obediently unstrapped the Berreta from his waist and handed it to Strausse.

“You will all learn in time, that if you wish to change the way that I run the New Regime, you will have to fight for the title of ‘Fuhrer’.”

As Wilhelm finished these words he c***ed the sleek pistol and turned to Gregary. Two shots were fired as Dan saw Gregary slump to the ground.

“What shall I do with the prisoners?” Inquired ‘Herr. Volstig’, who at this time was shaken.

Wilhelm left the cell for just a second and came back with three men. One with an STG 44  assault rifle. The evil man took the assault rifle and handed it to Johnny.

“Take and rid this world of these foul animals. But before you do I would like to do a little explaining to my dear chum, Daniel. Do you know why I dragged your parents from their homes and caused them great pain?”

“Because you are a sick, twisted and deranged human being bent on destruction!” said Dan as he looked at his parents with sorrow.

“Flattering and creative but no. It is solely because of the fact that you dragged my reputation from me. Do you know what it was like in those days following your outrageous act of public ignorance? My office in the political world was ruined. Tell me, do you remember that time you splashed Champagne in my face?”

“Like yesterday.” groaned Dan in agony.

“I swore on that day that I would find you and kill you along with your parents. I told myself that I would hurt them and make them cry and call out your name. You won’t be able to do a darned thing about it. You know why? Because you will be this close to DEAD! Enjoy your trip to Hell. I’ll have had fun sending you there. Volstig, fire on the men and women when ready.”

As soon as the guards had the men and the women at the said areas, ‘Volstig’ clipped and c***ed the STG 44 and prepared to fire on the women first. Dan lay where he was, stunned at the fact that his best friend would be the instrument of his destruction.

Dan closed his eyes as Johnny aimed and pulled the trigger.

But he did not. He turned and sent a spray of fire that landed at the feet of the guards and Wilhelm. The guards immediately grabbed the older women and held them in front of them. The cowards left the cell leaving Dan and Johnny to care for their fathers.

As Johnny went and helped his father and Mr. Evensen to their feet, Dan went and kneeled next to his fallen neighbor who lay bleeding and dying.

“Mr. Gregary, look at me. You are going to be okay. Goose, talk to me! We are going to get through this together. I’m not going to let you die.” cried Dan as he held his neighbor in his arms, tears streaming down his face.

“No, Dan. Don’t. Don’t waste your tears on a coward and a traitor. I have been fighting my conscience for 12 years and now it is finally clean. I have betrayed my country, myself, you and your trust. I have asked God to forgive me and now I ask the same of you. Go and find your mother and Johnny’s mother. Godspeed.”

With those words James Gregory breathed his last. His eyes sunk back and his head fell. As Dan looked to Johnny, Mr. Elwood and his father, all three of them could have sworn that they saw a new Dan; a man empowered by hate. His eyes were full of a fire and flame that seemed to burn for revenge.

Dan stood up, grabbed the STG44 from the ground and motioned for the other men.

“Let's move!” shouted Dan as he led the men out of the cell.

“Dad, run!” Dan grabbed his father and led his father up and out to the lobby. Johnny was following behind with his father.

Soon the men were out side. Dan grabbed his father's back, pulled his arms back behind him and cuffed them.

“Sorry Dad, but you’ll thank me later.” Johnny did the same for his father.

Johnny led the procession of men to the chopper platform. As the men got to the platform, two men emerged from one of the Huey’s. Both were dressed in a variation of the gray uniform which Dan figured was for chopper pilots only. One of them had an STG44.

“Greetings Herr Reede. Where are you off to, and with these men?” Dan knew that he had somehow been compromised. Trying to conceal their fear, the three men tried to mask their thoughts as they let Dan do the talking. (Dan realized now that he had thrown the STG44 away.)

“We have instructions from the Fuhrer Wilhelm himself to transport these men to Munich.” Dan knew that this excuse was flawed in many places but hoped to make it pass.

“Do you have your security pass?” asked the pilot. Dan and Johnny both showed the men their passes and were allowed through.

The man with the STG44 approached Johnny. Johnny grabbed the man’s gun and smashed it against his skull. The man fell back in agony. It took the remaining pilot only a split second to realize that he himself was the one compromised. Before he could call for help, Dan hit the man over the head with his rifle.

Soon, Dan and Johnny had both of the unconscious guards chained to the landing gear of a nearby chopper. Dan went and started up the rotors before strapping Johnny into the co-pilot seat. He then turned his attention to Mr. Evensen and Mr. Elwood.

“All right guys. Listen closely. When we get off the ground, Johnny and I are going to do a flyby and see if we can’t find Wilhelms limo. It’s gonna’ be followed by flank security. As soon as I give the word you guys are going to open fire on the Flanks. Do not hit that limo. It will most likely have our quarry in it. Dad, before we leave I think that we would like you to lead us in a word of prayer.”

Bob Evensen nodded, bowed his head and began to shout over the noise of the rotors.

“Lord Jesus in Heaven. We just come to you and ask that your hand be on us. Lord, place your hand on James and I as we may very possibly have to take a human life today. Be with Dan and Johnny at the head and please protect Arlene and Jessica. Place your hand over Wilhelm and help him to see the error of his ways. In your name, amen.”

Without another word, Dan made sure that the three men were strapped in tight before heading to the c***pit and strapping himself in. After fiddling with the controls here and there, the Chopper was off the ground and in the air.

As the men were in the air, Dan quickly gave Johnny a thirty second tutorial on how to steer, hover and do a diagonal hover. This reminded both the men of one of their favorite shows, ‘Airwolf’.

On their third pass around the Reichstag, all four men saw what they had been looking for.  Sure enough, there was the white limo being followed by two armored trucks and one assault tank. Dan silently prayed for strength and courage before shouting to his father and Mr. Elwood.

“Alright boys, go trigger happy. Light that convoy up. If the M60 jams use the M40’s.”

Within a few seconds both sides of the chopper were filled with the roar of machine gun fire. Mr. Elwood, (who had taken port side) concentrated all his fire on the armored truck in front of the tank. After taking heavy fire from both sides the truck burst into flames.

The bunker was soon alive with activity as armed guards went to the parapet and began to fire on the chopper. Mr. Elwood returned fire. Suddenly Dan heard Johnny shout as he turned and saw Mr. Elwood, clutching his left arm. He had been caught by a stray round.

Suddenly Johnny noticed all too late that the tank was breaking off from the convoy. The giant gun turret turned and fired on the limo turning blowing it to pieces and sending a great ball of fire into the sky.

All four men stared in horror of the wreckage. Wilhelm was gone. But so was the men’s mothers or wives. Filled with a violent hatred and lust for blood, the men with the guns began to fire mercilessly on the rest of the convoy and on the bunker. However, it was unknown to them that an RPG (Rocket Propelled Grenade) was heading straight towards them, fired from an unknown source.


The RPG hit the tail of the chopper, sending it into a frenzy. As both Dan and Johnny tried to rectify the choppers position, they reached and unbuckled each others restraining belts. Dan realized all too late that if they didn’t abort now, they would die. He also knew that if he was going to stay and go down with the chopper, Johnny was going to stay as well.

Suddenly and without any forewarning, Dan felt himself being thrown out the front glass. The tempered glass shattered as Dan hit the ground hard. Blood flew from the back of Dan's head and flowed freely from his lips.

Dan tried to lift himself but he had no strength left. He knew that if he survived this ordeal, his life would forever be changed. All that he had once loved and thought indestructable was gone. Gone forever.

No, he would see them again. Again in another place. A place called Heaven. Dan tried to lift his head only to see a bright light coming towards him. Without hesitation he let himself be pulled to the light. What else did he have left in his life?
 

As Dan opened his eyes, he knew that he was going to see the face of God. As he opened his eyes, though instead of seeing the face of God, he saw the face of his mother and the face of his uncle. He was laying down in a hospital bed at Cross Memorial Hospital.

He also realized that the only part of his body that he could feel was his chest, arms and his face which throbbed worse than anything that he had ever felt before. He could not feel his legs.

“Morning Dan.” Dan knew that by the grave tone of his uncle's’ voice, that something horrific had occurred. (Not that the events that had already transpired were horrific enough.)

“Mom, you’re safe, but how? Wheres Dad? Mr. Elwood and Johnny. Are they alright?”

Arlene Evensen tried to speak, but was stopped as her voice got lodged in her throat and tears began to stream down her face. Finally, Max spoke in a broken voice.

“Son, your father and Mr. Elwood, they did not walk away from the crash. They are gone, Dan.” Dan turned his face and began to shout in anguish.

“Listen to me. Your father and Johnny’s gave their lives for you. Before the crash, they somehow unstrapped your safety harnesses and pushed you through the roof. There is no other explanation for how you survived. I want you to know that your father died a hero.”

“But, I saw the limo blow. How is my mother standing here right now? I saw them get into the limo.” said Dan, a broken look coming into his eyes.

“Dan, your mother was never in the limo. What you saw were mannequins. You see, Wilhelm knew that  you would never fire on that limo as long as you knew that your mother was in it. He had your mother put into the tank to be transported to another site to be terminated. I told you that I would be looking out for you. I was the tank commander. I knocked the driver and gunner out and fired on the limo. I did what you failed to do. I took Wilhelm out. In fact, the whole mission was a failure.”

“Well, you’re the one who dragged me into this. How was I supposed to know that Wilhelm and Gregory would be coming down the dang stairs? You should have sent someone else in. That way, my father would have never died. The mission was compromised from the start.”

Dan was surprised that he had just raised his voice to his uncle.

Max glared at Dan with and anger and resentment that shattered and crushed what was left of his soul.

Dan could tell that if he was not in the hospital, Max would’ve killed him. First for his brother and then for himself. The rage in his uncle’s eyes told Dan more than he ever thought he would know about him.

As Dan finished speaking, the door opened and in hobbled Johnny Elwood on crutches who was being followed by his mother. His face was full of new cuts and bruises that hid the bruises and scratches that he had sustained from a cave in eleven years ago.

His mother pushed a chair up behind him and next to the bed. As Johnny took the seat, his mother took his crutches. Mrs. Elwood, Mrs. Evensen and Uncle Max left the boy’s alone so that they could share a time solace and grief.

“Hey Dan. It seems as if we have been in this situation before. It seems so long ago. . . How’s your face? I’m so sorry slamming your face into a table. I guess it’s payback for slamming me to a wall.

“I’m fine. You had to do what you had to do. Otherwise your cover may have been blown.” joked Dan. Johnny laughed, but Dan observed that it was hollow and empty.

“The fact of the matter is that there are no words for what I am feeling in my heart for you and your mother and also for myself. I am sorry for what happened and for your loss. Your father was one of the greatest men I ever knew. I say that with all sincerity.”

As Johnny looked away, Dan knew that his friend was shedding tears, something that he never thought he would live to see him do.

“Johnny, how did we get here? How did we survive?” Asked Dan weakly.

“Our fathers were responsible for saving our lives. They knew that we would not leave our seats if the other stayed. They unlatched our belts and threw us out the window.”

“As for getting here, when we were found by your uncle, we were shipped back to the States on life support. In fact you are still wearing the black dress fatigues I gave you, that is if the Doc didn’t change you. I was lucky. I got off with a fractured leg, a dislocated jaw, broken ankle, a broken collarbone and some minor scrapes and bruises. I somehow landed in a tree. I was knocked unconscious for about forty minutes and suffered a concussion. Nothing I can’t live through. President Howard is coming down to personally meet us. Just twelve years before we got to meet the president of the United States and now here we go again.”

“I can’t feel my legs. Any idea what happened?” Johnny sighed.

“When you fell you permanently damaged your legs Your body took a direct route down to the trunk. You were in a coma for three days. The doc says that you may never be able to walk again on your own. You’ll need prosthetics if you ever want to walk again.”

There was silence.

“There is one thing more that I would like to know. How did you get into my room?” asked Johnny.

“The lattice panel. The pot with the key was gone.” Explained Dan. Johnny smiled at his friend.

“Dan, are you saying that you climbed up that wreck of a lattice panel just to find me? I wouldn’t trust that panel with my dog’s life. You should have realized that the key was under the door mat.”

Both men laughed, though both knew that it was in sorrow

“Remember Lilly. . . uh, Lilly . . .?” Stuttered Johnny finally.

“Lilly Turner?” prompted Dan.

“Yeah, Lilly Turner, my racing crush. This is gonna sound weird, but when I was in Minnesota, before your uncle got to me, I found out that I was in the same classes as her. Well, four years later, I’m a senior. I graduate and get a job at the Pentagon in homeland security of all things. Low and Behold, she just happens to be working there too as a secretary. After a year of dating, I asked her to marry me. The wedding is next August. I want you to be the best man.”

“Sure. I’d be happy to. Can you do me one teeny, tiny favor, though?” asked Dan as he wrote down a number on a stray piece of paper.

“What is it?” Johnny turned questioningly towards Dan.

“Will you call this number and see if she is open, say a week from Monday?”

“Sure. Who is it?” Johnny took a slip of paper from Dan and read the number.

“Marcia Merribelle. I still owe her a dinner date. I’m hoping that you’ll be there to push my wheelchair around.” both men laughed.

”Give her my number again. 670. . .”

“876-53o9. Jenny, I got your number. Jenny, I need to make you mine. Jenny, don’t change your number. 867-53o9. I got it, I got it. I got your number on the wall.” they sang together.

As they laughed, they both knew that what had just transpired must stay hidden. Hidden from the media and hidden from all whom they held dear. Both of them knew that Berlin was just the beginning of the culmination of something bigger and more sinister. The world was changing. Perhaps it was the beginning of the end. Only in due time would they find out. 

Dan carefully wheeled his chair down the empty hallway of Cross Middleschool, the same school in which he once studied; into room 119. Mr. Kingsford’s old classroom.

He went to the desk where he would be a history teacher. He moved behind the desk, laid his head on the table and began to cry.

“Oh dear God! I have lost everything. My father, the father of my best friend. I have lost my legs. Oh God! How can you love me, even in this time? Oh God!”
             
Dan lifted his head as he felt two strong arms on his shoulders. It was Johnny.

“Easy there pal. If you don’t mind me saying, I think you’re heaping credit to the wrong person. Sure, God uses rough circumstances to bring glory to himself, but Satan also uses those circumstances to drive us away from God.”

“Johnny, how did you know I here?”

“Your mother told me. I knew that you needed some place to go to be by yourself.”

“Thanks pal.”

“Johnny, how do you cope with something like this?”

“I have no idea. Loss is something new to me as well. But, as much as you would hate for me to tell you this, I think that God decided to take them from us to strengthen us. When our fathers were alive, they loved God with all their heart. They prepared us for that day when they would leave. As for your legs, God’s trying to tell you something.”

“Maybe I can serve him without my legs?”

“Right. If that isn’t what God is trying to say, then try to be open when he talks to you. He’s gonna come either with trumpets sound and banners waved, or it’s going to come in a still small voice. You need to be ready.”

“Your Dad taught you well. He was a great man. You're going to be just as great a father if not better.” replied Dan

“Thanks. You're going to make a great uncle. Come on, Pal. We’ve got a dinner date to keep.”

Without another word, Johnny rolled Dan out of the classroom and prepared to carry on their lives. Neither of them knew what God had in mind. Only time would tell.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.