A rare breed | Teen Ink

A rare breed

Author's note:

My wonderful english teacher gave me insparation to really tap into my creativity 

As the blacked out Audi came to a slow roll all that could be heard was the cool California wind blowing over the short trees and untrimmed shrubs. A shiver ran down his spine as he stepped out of the car.
“Everything good to go?” Uttered the driver, as he leaned his head out the window, “You sure the set is right?”
“Yes, everything is set.” Lukas remarked, checking his clip, and sliding the action back to verify what he said was true. “I got the tip for the job from Larry, so nothing is 100%, but for this I’ll take the risk,” he said more confidently than he felt.
The driver shot a quick glance at his watch before responding, “4 o’clock, I will be at the back door in 20 minutes.”
Lukas just nodded and signalled to the other two men that it was time to go. They crept up the bank to the left of the long brick walkway that led up the the large wooden door of the house. One of the men, Zack, darted off the right and took point behind a large oak tree and began to scope out the window of the large stone house. Inside he could see two couches, one containing a woman passed out and naked lying face down, on the other sat a skinny man half asleep holding a pipe. A decorative fireplace sat on the other end of the room, by it stood a rather fat lad pacing back and forth anxiously. A quick signal of two fingers pointing left and a solid fist in the air alerted Walter of the two men.
“Got it,” the words were not heard, but understood by the shadow that lurked behind the tree.
Lukas could see just a sliver of a kitchen over the low wall he had positioned himself behind,  in it he could see burned stoves and small bags of cocaine on the table. “It's clear,” he whispered, “Signal Zack.”
At that moment that his hand moved Zack kicked in the door on the side. Three clear shots rang out as the fat man hit the door with a loud thud.  At that moment, Walter and the other man kicked in the front door, with guns out they scanned the room. But nothing stirred. Zack had his pistol to a man’s head and his hand on his mouth and the woman had not awoke in the ruckus.
“Go get the safe” Lukas said sharply “Stay aware, Jacob,” he nodded and then headed for the stairs. A few moments later Lukas heard a rustling coming from the back of the house.
“Did you hear that?”
“Hear what?” Zack replied.
“Nothing,” muttered Lukas as he stepped through the doorway to look at the back room, heart in his throat, he looked around the room but saw nothing. He came back just as Jacob came out of the stairway duffle bag in hand and his sleeve covered in blood.
“What happened?”
“Just a little mouse, I took care of it” He said as he wiped his brow. “Now let's get out of here.”
Thwack, Zack pistol whipped the thin man across the face and he slumped unconscious on the floor.
They started for the door at the back end of the house, Both men made it out of the door but something grabbed Lukas’s attention before he could step into the cold air. He turned back to scan the room.
Several minutes later he walked slowly out to the three men waiting in the car. “What was that?” Probed Zack.
“Nothing,” he briskly responded, and the car pulled off into the California night lights.
It was almost six when Lukas made it back to the garage, careful to lower the door slowly as to make as little noise as possible.
“Lukas, pass me that torque wrench.”
“Haha sharp as ever, this a new project?”
“You could call it a ‘project’, Mrs. Webber brought it in last week, the carburetor is fried and the transmission is grinded to a pulp”
“Ha,” Lukas let out with a snort. “A step down from your usual, work. Not turning into an old man on us are you?”
“At my tender age I could have been your father, you better thank your lucky stars I wasn’t, you would ended up a grease monkey instead of a gangbanger”
“Psh, at least everyone in the hood loves me, plus I can't imagine having anyone else being my father other than the man who raised me.”
“You mustn't mention it, you remember what I told you when you were a boy?”
“Of course, ‘this is the path that has been chosen, you should be thankful you have been given the chance to follow it’ you know I would not have it any other way.”
“That’s my boy, everything go okay tonight?”
“Sure.”
“What happened?”
“A man came out of nowhere, while I was on my way out of the house, introduced himself as agent lynch, black suit. He took my piece before I took it out of my coat. Told me he had been keeping his eye on my for some time and that we would speak again, then disappeared as quickly as he came.”
“So the time comes.”
“What do you mean? You know this man?”
“No, but I do know what it means”
“What aren't you telling me?”
“You remember the story of your father?”
“Yes of course, he was a driver who lost control over the santa susana pass, with my mom in the car.”
“Your father did lose control in a car, your mother died in the same accident, but there was a little more to it, Your father owned a corporation in New York, your mother tried to take from him by marrying him, and then poisoning him. But you, you wrecked the whole operation, you tore your mother’s malicious heart in half. She broke under the pressure, told your father about the man who she skeemed to take as hers and take over the company with. In his confusion and dismay he threw the car over a cliff and killed them both. Being your godfather, I was granted sole custody, and decided to raise you here away from the horrors that happened in New York”
“What happened to the company then, my father's legacy, who holds it?”
“A man named Larry Clifford, the man your mother conspired to run the company with”
“good for him” Lukas replied.
  “Don't you see lukas!? That company is yours, you are named as the sole owner, you must go to New York, confront Larry and restore your father’s legacy”
“Why? I like life here”
“Because it is your destiny” The words rang in Lukas’s head, like a church bell. Destiny he could not imagine such a life or such a journey. “There is something I must show you” The old man said as he started for the back of the shop.
“Whats going on?” Lukas asked briskly
“Look” the old man muttered as he removed the dusty cover from an old car…
“I thought you said this was an old junker project my father gave you” Lukas said in amazement “This… I thought you said they only made… how did you get this?” He stammered in amazement
“It was your father’s, One of the 7 one-77s ever made” He said as he polished as smudge of of the gleaming white coat of the space age aston martin that sat in front of them.
“The craftmanship is amazing, the lines of the body are so perfectly sculpted”
“You think that is something, you should hear what it sounds like” He said as he lifted the ignition switch. The car began to purr like a beast at rest waiting to strike, and upon stepping on the gas the beast began to roar, the glass in the shop shook with tremors, and vibrations. And as the gas lowered closer to the floor of the beast a jet engine could be heard for miles.
“My god” uttered Lukas  
“This is yours, it all is, you need to go, fulfill your destiny”
“I can't take this lightly, But I will consider it” He finally breaking his gaze from the now sleeping beast “Goodnight, old man”
He could not sleep that night. Lukas tossed and turned until finally a glimmer of sleep grabbed hold and pulled him into the black.
It seemed like only moment later that he awoke with the mysterious man at the back end of the room “Lynch” he said with disdain.
“Why so sour?” said the older man “we may have not had the best start, but let's be real, you would have shot me had I not taken it. I don't intend to give it back either”
“Then why are you here?”
“I have a present and a message, If you go too New York, life will never be the same, but you must do it, fate has called upon you and it is your duty to answer” said the man “Now for the present” he uttered as he pulled an old and beautiful looking handgun out of his suit pocket “chrome laid M1911, double action”
“Where did you get this?” replied Lukas as he grasped the gun
“It was your father's” the old man muttered as he stood up and headed for the door
“Wait, how do you… you knew him?” Lukas exclaimed, but the man had disappeared before he could get a response
Lukas stood up looking at the gun before tucking it in his pants and heading for the garage
“Good luck” The old man said without a second glance, he threw Lukas the distinctive key “I will always be here when you decide to come home”
“I love you, even though you are a crazy old motherf*er”
“Love you too son” the old man said as they embraced “Now get your ass moving”

The trip to New York was long and boring, the roads were straight and flat, and stretched on for what seemed like eternity. The trip took almost three days, and Lukas could not remember the last time he had gotten a full night of sleep. But during a cold Sunday morning as he pulled into the east side of the city, he could smell the gas of clustered vehicles. Everywhere around him he noticed the buildings reaching for Olympus. As he cruised along the long narrow streets of new york city. He could not forget Lynche’s face. How had he known? Why had he come? Questions kept circulating in his head but he had no answer.
A few hours later after Lukas had finished admiring the city, he remembered his purpose and began searching.  He had never heard of a company named after his father “Rose” inc. in fact the prospect of a company named after him was quite preposterous. After many hours of driving through town he resorted to the only people he understood. He pulled up to east Harlem in the late afternoon and pulled up to the first group of men he saw shooting dice in an alley. His beast came to a halt, and as he stepped out three men stood up to meet him, “pardon me, I am from out of state and am in search of a ‘Rose corporation’ any of you know where that might me?”
“Sure we know, everyone in the city does,” scoffed a younger black gentleman with a large scab on the left side of his face.
“But first, where’d ya get that fancy ride?” Said a older fat lad who had been sniffing and rubbing his nose.
“It was my father's” Lukas replied.
“I would love a ride” replied the man.
“No can do, I have something to take care of.”
“Funny me too,” the words came with a swift hand into his pants. But Lukas had the man by a split second, and the chrome lined 1911 came out of his pants and with a flash a bullet pierced the man's leg before his finger could reach the trigger. The man cried out in pain as he hit the floor, and in a second Lukas was on him.
“I am going to ask you one last time, where is the Rose industries building?”
“Ah f***!” shouted the man, “What the hell is wrong with you?”
“Wrong with me? You pulled first, now one more time. Where is the Rose industries building?” The words barely left Lukas’ mouth before his head was struck from behind by a blunt object and hit the ground with a thud, out cold. He lost consciousness to the sound of his body being lifted and set into the back of his car.

He awoke a few hours later sitting in a dark room with a pounding sensation in the back of his head. He lifted his hand to feel the welt on his head but his hand caught on the rope that held his hands to the small metal chair he was sitting on. He fought the restraints but to no avail. Thoughts of regret began flooding into Lukas’s head, why had he thought this would work? Why didn’t he stay home? Would he die here? Thousands of miles away from anyone who he loved? It felt like eternity that he sat alone in that pitch black room questioning himself and his actions. At the moment when he felt the heavy hand of sleep pulling him into it’s black hold, a door opened at the far end of the room behind him. The light filled the room and illuminated old boxes and dusty chairs stacked at one end of a small storage looking room with one long light in the ceiling, that flickered illuminating the room as  three men stepped around the chair to face Lukas.
“I like the suites,” uddered Lukas as he rolled his head to face the men standing in front of him, “all black, very professional” But the men said nothing. He heard footsteps behind him as another man entered the room smaller than the other three and wearing a crisp grey jacket.
“We do like to keep things looking like we actually run a multimillion dollar industry here” the smaller man said with a smirk on his face, Lukas noticed the shiny badge tucked into the man's coat reading ‘Rose Corporation’ but he could not see the name.
“So I see, I take it you know why I came looking for you?”
“Of course, Lukas,” the man uttered his name with such disdain. “I recognized your father’s car the moment that crackhead drove it into my garage.”
“Have we met before?” Questioned lukas.
“When you were very small, I watched you tear everything I had hopped to accomplish apart without even lifting a finger.”
“Larry,” and in that moment everything became clear. “It was you the whole time,” Lukas said clenching his fists.
“Cuetos to you, your mother did not figure that one out until it was far too late,” he said with a mocking glare, “I tried to keep her on my side, and trust me, I had her in the palm of my hand until you came along. She was ready to kill him no questions asked,” as he let out a sigh, “But can you really blame her? Killing your child's father is quite a difficult feat.”
“So the cat comes out of the bag,” Lukas said calmly, but on the inside the rage grew inside him like wildfire. “But she cracked in the end huh? Is that what you want me to believe?” 
“Psh, that crazy old grease monkey filling your head with lies. No, no lies, I tuned the steering shaft. God how your father loved those curves, your mother always said they would kill him, funny I guess she wasn’t wrong.”  At that moment something inside of him snapped and with all his strength Lukas pulled at the rope binding him to the chair. But before he could free himself Larry pulled out his father’s pistol and cracked him on the side of the head with it, Lukas tried to fight men as one of them pulled him onto the ground and began to beat him."Take this gun, and once you are done put him out of his misery,” Larry said as he handed the pistol to one of the men. “Ceremonial,” he said chuckling as he left the room. 
The men continued to beat lukas senseless, filling his stomach with broken ribs and his face with bruises. Lukas began fading in and out of consciousness and the thoughts of hopelessness returned. This truly would be the place that he died, It was never worth it. The man in the back who Larry had given the gun stepped forward and pulled the chrome pistol out of his coat and c***ed it and pointed it at Lukas’s bloody head, This was truly the end he thought as the hammer pulled back into firing position. Before the man was able to pull the trigger Agent Lynch came out of nowhere and kicked the gun out of the man’s stunned hand, the pistol fell perfectly into Lukas’s hand and before either of the men standing in front of him could react he pulled the trigger three times in perfect succession. The perfectly placed bullets pierced the heads of the goons Larry had sent to end his life and as they hit the floor Lukas pulled himself up to look Agent Lynch eye to eye.
“Why?” Questioned Lukas, “Why have you?”
“It was my destiny,” Lynch responded.
“Have you been with me the whole time?” Said Lukas as he brushed the blood from his lip.
“Yes of course, I have been with you your whole life.”
“Then why have you not come until now?”
“Because now is when you needed me.”
“I still don't understand” Lukas said confused.
“I have always been with you because I am a part of you. I will always be a part of you.”
“What are you saying?” Lukas said with rage building in his eyes “Stop playing games with me!!” He shouted
“No games, Who do you see when you look at me?”
“An old white man in a black suite with a funky earpiece”
“My god son, look again”
Lukas wiped his eyes and pulled the sweat from his brow, and he looked again at Lynch, but he only found himself looking at his own reflection in puddle of the blood lying on the ground. It all became clear, he remembered seeing an old mirror laying on the wall in the kitchen of that house and the mirror that sat upon the desk in his room. It was him the whole time, he had took the gun. He looked back at the reflection in disbelief and then through the reflection he heard the words “Go, now. Be the man you always could, fulfill your father's destiny. We will toast to your success when this is over.”
He stood up tucked the gun in his pants, left the room and found himself looking down the hallway of a large looking building. He walked to the window and looked down a huge skyscraper. On the sidewalk below him he saw Larry climbing into a black car and pull off into the city. He found the elevator and killed the two men waiting for him inside, he found his car on the second level of the parking structure, laying waste to half a dozen more in order to obtain the keys. He opened the door and sat in the belly of the beast. He placed the gleaming pistol in the glove compartment and adjusted the mirror.
As he pulled out of the garage and off into the city to finish what he had started, he looked into the rear view mirror he could see Lynche’s face smiling back at him pushing him forward into the horizon.