Elementalists | Teen Ink

Elementalists

By 8flavorsofcrazy SILVER, Lincoln, Nebraska
8flavorsofcrazy SILVER, Lincoln, Nebraska

"you only live once, so make it count"

JORDAN
I always wanted to go to the Bermuda Triangle. It seemed so dangerous and supernatural, but as a kid having no dad and a barley seen mom I could pass as an orphan on the streets. Then I found Jack, and we were like brother and sister. Two kids without parents, or mostly without parents. So I never thought I would actually be going. As the boat raced towards the growing island I looked over at Jack, he looked a bit afraid I mean all this magic business was a lot to take in. when descendents from the original elements have children with other descendents it creates a Elementalist or a person who can effectively use the magic of elements; fire, water, ice, earth, and storm.  Also there was an opposite force called the Chaotics who cause destruction with basically the same forces but darker purposes. Bla bla bla it was a very boring discussion but necessary to know before we began training. According to Mr. teacher guy over there.

JACK
Jordan looked so excited to be going to the Island in the Bermuda, but from what ive herd these people are crazy, telling us were special and can use the power of elements. I looked over at Jordan dark brown hair fluttering in the wind and golden eyes zoned out then snapping back to reality as we stop at the bottom of a tall cliff.
“Oh my gosh, where are we?” Jordan whispers to me.
“Jordan, Jack this is where you’ll be learning the elemental arts.” said the teacher like he heard Jordan’s whisper. Then he takes out a stick or maybe it’s a wand and the water rises under us till we reach the cliff to get out.
“ Now this island is pretty big so I’ll send one of my students to show you around so you wont get lost,” explains the teacher, “and by the way im Mr. Dvorak one of the teachers here but sometimes I travel out to find other students who posses elemental magic, and look here he is ill be off now.” A boy walks towards us with floppy brown hair “ Hello im Drake” he says smiling at Jordan an then looked at me with disappointment “What’s your names?” Drake asks.

JORDAN
“ Im Jordan and this is Jack.” I say excitedly. Drake seemed to think something was funny but I really didn’t know what because all he said was “well lets get on with the tour” while he showed us some of the forest and small town where al the retired elementalists stay and run cute stores for students to stop in, I couldn’t help but notice that Derek was pretty attractive but he seemed a little wrong as in different, just weird. He showed us the school next it was huge maybe the size as a football stadium. Were there really that many kids in this school? The school was beautifully structured with open hallways and old stone to create an old strong setting, but its very old fashioned no lights just torches glowing with a slow undying flames marking the way to classrooms and what seems to be dorms. Derek has been talking the whole time but ive been to focused to listen but now I hear him talk and say “the choosing ceremony will be tomorrow morning and Mrs. Malorie can explain lots more later. We also have many old training facilities throughout the dense forest most are forgotten since we just use the new coliseum now.” Now we all walk through the town again closer up Derek showed Jack and I where we can get treats, clothes, games, and school supplies like a wand and pendent that we apparently NEEDED. “Now this is where ill leave you guys to get supplies here then ill meet up with you and take you to your room later.” Derek states, I just now noticed that Derek is wearing a necklace, a chain with a chunky blue gem; he saw me looking at it and smirked. I gaze away fast “okay bye Derek.” I smile and he grins then walks away. I turn to Jack and laugh, “what are you laughing at?” Jack laughs back since we are so close. “This is so weird like maybe its all a dream and we will just wake up and be back home and alone again it’s so… different.” I sigh. Jack grabs my hands “Jordan I barely believe it but this is real we are actually different but we still fit in so there is nothing to worry about here its all fine and no matter what we always have each other to so we are safe.” Jack reassures me. “Thanks,” I say as I look in his warm green eyes. We walk in the pendent shop together and Jack opens the door into a small dim space with a small old woman wrinkled behind her desk that was decorated with shiny gems on chains just like Derek’s but all different colors and sizes. There were blue, green, yellow, black, white, and every color. “Come.” Says the lady behind the desk. We walk up together me hiding behind Jacks shoulder closer to the table of powerful jewelry. “Jack step forward alone,” says the woman. Jack steps up and leaves me alone “put your hand over the pendants and move it over them.” Jack obeys slowly his hand shaking ever so slightly over the rows then a burst of light spills out of a pendent then dims to a glow “ohh the navy blue for you Jack, now take and keep till after the choosing ceremony okay, now Jordan come,” She says. Im scared I don’t know why I slowly step forward as Jack steps back. I reach out my arm and move it over the table nothing happens then again slower. An explosion of red light blinds me and then it dims again after I blink a couple times I look around and see no pendants still glowing what is going on. Then from under the desk a drawer opens and the old woman didn’t open it, a glowing dark red pendant floats out all by itself and makes itself at home in my hand. “I knew it was you Jordan Wayhunter.” The woman’s face bright with mystery, “now hurry along and get your wands.”
“No, wait what’s happening?!” I cry scared.
“Don’t worry child you will know soon by the ones who gave you it.” She replies then we were pushed out the door. “NO” I whisper, what is happening.
Jack puts his hand on my shoulder then the door of another store opens “come in” says a creepy voice, “guess its time to get are wands” Jack whispers shyly trying not to disturb me more. Now this store is very dark but as we walk in torches brighten the room into a creepy old shack wit ha weathered ancient man standing in the middle of the room with wands everywhere maybe 300 just on shelves “Ready for your wands” says the ancient man, I felt a pull to one of the shelves. “Let the pull take you to your wand” I saw Jack walk fast to the shelf opposite of me and he grabbed the wand box and took out the sleek black wand electricity zapped around the room, then I moved, no I slid over to the shelf that the pull wanted me to go to, and my hands moved by themselves to this very dark red wand with strange carvings on the bottom and the room grew very cold then all the torches flamed up. This is strange, a peculiar feeling of almost unlimited power flew through me then to my pendent and stopped dead they’re blocked. The man looked at Jack with a wonder than looked at me and his eyes sparkled and he says “Well, well, well you better be off to your rooms Jordan and Jack, you will need a good night sleep.” He smiles then disappears with a gust of wind. “Jack lets go… now,” I whisper. As we walk back to the school Derek finds us and scares the crap out of me I almost jump into Jack. “Jordan its fine it’s just me.” Derek laughs and puts his arm around me then I remove it, “well we weren’t expecting you to pop out,” Jack interjects rudely
JACK
“Jordan you can do way better than that thing,” Derek replies acidly. “Well you know what! -“ I yell walking up in Derek’s face. “GUYS!” Jordan yells, “shut up and stop fighting damn!” I instantly cool down and back off not wanting to make Jordan get more pissed. Derek shoots one more nasty glare and turns around and keeps taking us to are rooms, silently this time. “Here you go Jordan,” Derek smiles and opens the door for her “where is Jacks room?” she asks golden eyes staring into mine make me feel warm. Derek glares again at me and I just smile to make him angry but I know he won’t do anything when Jordan’s around. “His room is right next to yours, it even has a door that connects your rooms from the inside,” Derek growls while gesturing to the door. “Okay thanks Derek u can leave now we are fine,” Jordan comments. Derek leaves without saying a thing. I go and open my door “Jack can you just come in my room first with me please?” Jordan asks. “Yeah sure,” I reply and walk into the huge space. “Wow did they give me the master suite or what?” she laughs. The huge room had a queen bed locked in between two windows with drapes and then a fireplace as big as me to the side with that fire that always goes. The dresser was huge and crafted, stone floors cold as ice but fancy. Don’t get me started on the bathroom it was white and gold compared to the main rooms gray, red and brown look. “Oh my god im gonna faint its all so beautiful!” Jordan gasps. Just like you, I think in my head but laugh at myself. “Its fit for a king to live in,” I laugh, “I don’t think ive ever been in a place this nice in my life Jory, its amazing”! Jordan turns around and has tears in her eyes, she’s still beautiful even when she’s crying, I go and hug her small body warm against me and her head nestled into me. “We can’t ever go back after this it wont be the same anymore.” She whispers. “I know,” I say as I let her go, “lets get some sleep okay?” I ask, “Okay but can I ask one more thing Jack? Can you stay with me tonight please?” Jordan whimpers. “Yes of course!” I say maybe to happily but she doest seem to notice, “just let me go change in my room first.” I say then walk to the door on the wall that apparently leads to my room. My room is almost a copy of Jordan’s but less girly can I say and no burning fire. After im done I walk back into her room to find her laying on her bed asleep, so I keep my promise of staying with her and quietly slip next to her leaving plenty of room. I just lie on my back and stare at the ceiling.

JORDAN
Knock Knock Knock! “Jordan its Mrs. Malorie, the choosing ceremony begins in one hour, this is wakeup call.” Mrs. Malorie yells through the door. I open my eyes the choosing ceremony! I sit strait up and wake Jack who is sleeping right next to me he looks really tired. “What is happening?” he says groggily “it’s the choosing ceremony in an hour!” I panic “I need to get ready and stuff” so I run to the closet and grab black tank blue jeans and boots just to keep it simple. Hair, hair, hair, how bout just hair down for today, okay. Jack just sits and looks at me weird while I scurry around getting ready then I stop. “Wait are you just sitting there watching me get ready in boxers?” I laugh, “pshh no.. Yeah maybe I should get ready too,” he laughs back. He gets up and heads to the door. “Wait!” I laugh, “Should I wear my hair up or down.” I ask shyly. “I don’t care you look pretty either way” Jack smiles then opens his door and leaves to get ready. I catch myself smiling, no this isn’t me, I cant, and I wont. After 20 minutes we both are ready to head and Mrs. Malorie comes and tells us the procedure while she guides us to the coliseum. “You will each be chosen by your strongest element and then you pick on more for studies sake, now this year we only have 11 new students so it will go fast and everyone else will be watching, ill call you one at a time then you come to the center of the circle and wait to be chosen oh and look at the time we better get going!” Malorie talks fast. As we walk up to the coliseum we could hear the yelling of older elementalists through the stonewalls of what kind of looked like the roman coliseum, complete with arches, doorways, and a full crowd. There was a big circle in the middle of the grass with five little circles with emblems in them showing symbols for water, earth, fire, storm, and ice. Yes I have learned a lot. Mrs. Malorie led us around the left wile people clapped. “Silence! Now let the choosing begin!” Mrs. Malorie yells at the crowd. “Grace Fallbroke” a tall, skinny blonde girl with ice blue eyes walked out to the center of the circle, all the guys in the crowd whistle at her. Then it was silent, and we all waited, blue snowflakes fell over her head crowds cheered. “Ice, now Grace what do you choose?” Malorie asks “Storm” Grace yells then she made her way back to the line. I hated her from the second I saw her and when she saw my glare of hatred she smiled and waves. That little- “Dallas White!” Mrs. Malorie yells interrupting my rude thoughts. Now a strong looking, buzz cut boy, that looks like he could do a little training and then join the army. He walks like a boss would, confident that most people are afraid of him. He stands in the middle of the circle and we wait again for a sign then flames bounce out around the white circle. “Fire,” Mrs. Malorie says. “I chose water,” says Dallas’ low manly voice. Claps go around the coliseum, “Jordan lets both pick fire for are extra one.” Jack whispers to me while the next person goes up. “Okay sounds good to me,” I whisper back. “Jack Haustus!” Mrs. Malorie yells. Jack timidly walks to the center with his shaggy red blonde hair swaying with his steps, and I waited and waited. “I think its about to storm!” whispers a short girl next to me “it never storms here it’s a magic island stupid!” scoffs the other girl next to her. But now I noticed that the sun was covered with a dark ominous cloud. The tingle of electricity buzzed through the air making my hair stand up. Zap! One huge heavenly bright bolt zings out of the great cloud and hit Jack right in his chest. “Oh my god!” I gasp but Jack stands there fine if anything better. “Storm!” Mrs. Malorie yells and the crowd cheers. “I choose fire!” Jack yells back.
JACK
Crowd’s cheer at my choosing and ive never felt so alive. I strutted back to the line, and Grace looked at me with awe, a way Jordan never has, it felt great. “Jordan Wayhunter!” Mrs. Malorie yells. Jordan walked to the middle her legs wobbling, the guys in the crowd whistled at her like they did to Grace but Jordan brushes it off her golden eyes startled from what she thinks is a joke. She really doesn’t know how beautiful she is. Finally she reached the middle, the grass around her looked like cotton candy from the frost that started to cover them Jordan looks around at it then the frost becomes small ice shards growing like weeds. “Ic-“ Mrs. Malorie started but ice jumped up around her like a cage then everyone grew quiet and I looked into Jordan’s eyes to see how she was feeling but I was met by flames. Her eyes were full of flames and then she was surrounded by her personal inferno, flames growing higher and higher meeting the sunless sky with a unhurried downpour dampening out the flames till finally you can see a small lifeless Jordan laying in the middle of her dying circle of flames and little blood red snow crystals sparkling like fresh blood falling on her. “How is this possible? Now everyone calm down please and get the doctor! Fast dammit!” Mrs. Malorie screams at the bewildered crowd. My feet moved for me towards her till I kneel next to her on the charred grass “Jordan?” I cry. Then her chest heaves in for a first breath in awhile but her eyes don’t open. “I think she in a magic coma Jack,” Mrs. Malorie says with her hand on my shoulder “the doctor will help her out she will be fine tomorrow but im just wondering how she did that?”
“Wait so that’s not normal?” I ask. “No actually its not even rare, ive never seen that before, ever.” She replied. How can Jordan do that then? I ask myself  “Jack please go fetch her pendant and bring it to me in the infirmary as soon as possible!” she directs. I bolt off on the path to the school and get in my room, and step over my clutter then walk through the middle door connecting are rooms. Jordan’s room still bright and lit with fire casting strange shadows everywhere. Where is the pendent? I thought my room was messy but hers is full out mess books papers and various objects lie on any available space, how will I find her pendent? I search drawers and table tops and quit and sit on her bed to find a shining pendent laying on the nearest window sill along with her matching wand and a picture of her, no not of her this woman is older and a little different. Who could it be? Her mother? How did she get it if her mother died before we met? To many questions flow through my mind but I take the pendent and scurry out of her rooms and go to the infirmary. “Jack, good you’re here can I have the pendent?” Mrs. Malorie asks just as I enter the room. I hand it over. “Ahh I see the JORDAN
JACK
“Wait so that’s not normal?” I ask. “No actually its not even rare, ive never seen that before, ever.” She replied. How can Jordan do that then? I ask myself  “Jack please go fetch her pendant and bring it to me in the infirmary as soon as possible!” she directs. I bolt off on the path to the school and get in my room, and step over my clutter then walk through the middle door connecting are rooms. Jordan’s room still bright and lit with fire casting strange shadows everywhere. Where is the pendent? I thought my room was messy but hers is full out mess books papers and various objects lie on any available space, how will I find her pendent? I search drawers and table tops and quit and sit on her bed to find a shining pendent laying on the nearest window sill along with her matching wand and a picture of her, no not of her this woman is older and a little different. Who could it be? Her mother? How did she get it if her mother died before we met? To many questions flow through my mind but I take the pendent and scurry out of her rooms and go to the infirmary. “Jack, good you’re here can I have the pendent?” Mrs. Malorie asks just as I enter the room. I hand it over. “Ahh I see the Sanguine Crystal!” Malorie states, “Uhh what does that mean exactly?” I ask, “well it’s a story more, the original elements were people, Water, Fire, Earth, Ice, Storm, and Vulcan. Or as u may know Volcano,” she explains
“What why don’t we have the element of volcano then?” I blurt confused.
“Well there is more, Vulcan you see had a bad temper that the other elements didn’t like so after Vulcan had his last big destruction the elements kicked him out of the group, but that ended with consequences. Vulcan was enraged that he was ejected and put into the balance, he can never upset the balance and even though he wasn’t necessarily good he didn’t want the world to die, as we know it. So instead Vulcan created his own race to keep balance since there always needs to be chaos to also keep the elements in check too, so he made all his children and children’s children be like him but of lesser power, as we know no as Chaotics. Its basically how we elementalists were made too” Mrs. Malorie explains
“So what does this have to do with the pendent?” I wondered
“Oh yes, so since all the children of the Elements were of lesser power since they were half mortal, they couldn’t take the whole spirit of there element because there bodies were not strong like the Original Elements, so they created pendants to balance out there own power so it wouldn’t consume them and then they wouldn’t turn to dust. So many generations later an Elementalist tragically falls in love with a weak clueless Chaotic and they have a child, but this upsets the balance between Elements and Chaos because the child has access to both lines of power making them double or more powerful and so the strong Sanguine Crystal was made to limit the child’s power. But the child had no respect for the balance or world and threw off the cosmos with destruction. Forcing the Original Elements to wake up and all bond together to destroy the child and restore balance. Since then no Element and Chaotic have met on purpose. Or that we knew of.” Mrs. Malorie finishes. Im left in awe the choosing makes more sense now.!” Malorie states, “Uhh what does that mean exactly?” I ask, “well it’s a story more, the original elements were people, Water, Fire, Earth, Ice, Storm, and Vulcan. Or as u may know Volcano,” she explains
“Oh yes, so since all the children of the Elements were of lesser power since they were half mortal, they couldn’t take the whole spirit of there element because there bodies were not strong like the Original Elements, so they created pendants to balance out there own power so it wouldn’t consume them and then they wouldn’t turn to dust. So many generations later an Elementalist tragically falls in love with a weak clueless Chaotic and they have a child, but this upsets the balance between Elements and Chaos because the child has access to both lines of power making them double or more powerful and so the strong Sanguine Crystal was made to limit the child’s power. But the child had no respect for the balance or world and threw off the cosmos with destruction. Forcing the Original Elements to wake up and all bond together to destroy the child and restore balance. Since then no Element and Chaotic have met on purpose. Or that we knew of.” Mrs. Malorie finishes. Im left in awe the choosing makes more sense now.