The Warriors Grail | Teen Ink

The Warriors Grail

January 19, 2015
By Bradyn Reiakvam, San Diego, California
More by this author
Bradyn Reiakvam, San Diego, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“WHAT DID I JUST DO?!” I say aloud to myself as I sprint through the various train stops of the London Underground. I hear the loud shouts of “get him!” and “You’re so dead kid!” echoing through the British subway. As I run I take out my phone and dial my Grandmother’s number. At the moment I am winded. One ring… Two rings… I say to myself “pick up- pick  up” four rings have past and my hearts nearly out of my chest pounding with fear, then I hear the glorious sound of my beautiful Grammys voice saying “Hello.”
“Oh thank God you’re there” I say with a clear sound of relief in my throat.
“What’s wrong Rylan?” She says.
“Ohhhhh nothing,” I exclaim with the least amount of suspicion as possible, “When’s
Alfred going to be here?” my voice is on the brink of the uttermost amount of desperation.
“He said He would have you around half past four, are you okay? You sound like you just played four football matches.”
I check my phone and its 4:26. “Okay,” I think in my head “I only need to last four minutes.” Then there it is again, the sound of heavy footsteps and loud hateful comments.
“Oh no- oh no no no, Im so dead. I mean all I did was talk to his girlfriend, thats all.” I think to myself.
I realize that my Grandmother is still on the phone, so I move my right hand up to my ear, quickly say “ Love you... Gotta go.... Bye!” and hang up without acknowledging any last words she has for our conversation
“keep your powers under control” I say to myself “we don't want and charred humans”
As a child I had weird stages of random streaks of fire coming from all parts of my body. Once when I was five, At my cousin Davey’s birthday party I actually obliterated the pinata. At age 10, after my parents died, I was so mad I nearly burned my old house in America down. When I was 11 I had started to play club soccer ( I always get fun of calling it soccer because I’m not British), and at a showcase a kid tackled me and burnt a quarter of the grass and half the kids hair. My grandparents always found a way for all the witnesses to think it was a reasonable source.
There would be times where I would think I was a freak, but my Grandma and Grandpa  would always say “In due time Ry.”
I eventually find refuge in a near by storage closet, which to my luck was unlocked.
“Ok Rylan, calm down, go out there and use your words... Actually- scratch that- hide here all night.” As I bicker with myself, thinking of every possible outcome I go back to the core of why I was in the situation. It all started when I saw Kassidy sitting alone at a lunch table. I mean, me being me, I just had to go over there and keep her company. I knew her boyfriend, Jonathan, would be playing rugby with his mates, so it was like leaving a little kid in a toy-candy-videogame- hybrid store... where everything is free. My forte. Little did I know he was just in the Bathroom. When he came back, a nice little conversation was going and that big, ugly, jerk just came in and ruined it. I mean me being American, and everyone else around me being British I mean its just.. you know.. different.
As I’m in my long flashback there is a loud “BANG.” My heart is pounding in fear now. “Was it a gun, bomb?” I quietly say to myself. I crack open the door to the closet, and peek outside. What once was a full train station is now a vacant facility. There’s not a soul to be seen.
I tip-toe out of my refuge into the open of the underground. Im full of fear so I sprint out to the street. To my luck as i'm about to come up to the winding streets of london, every one who was once in the underground is not standing on the edges of the entrance. The entry was has been roped off by police and medics.
I crawl out of the dome without getting caught. I see the backs of my pursuers then immediately head in the opposite direction.
Ideally, I wouldn't be hopelessly wandering the streets of London, but in my case I have no other choice. I send a quick text to my driver to meet me at Nate’s fish n chips. As I arrive to my destination I see my trusted Driver standing there smiling up at me.
“How was school?” Alfred asks me in a suspicious tone.
In my head I say to myself “he knows!” I say aloud “Ohhhh it was just fine.”
Stay out of trouble?” Alfred asks.
“Alfred, oh sweet curious Alfred… You know me, of course I was involved in no neanderthalic actions a teenage boy my age would ever be involved in.
“I see…” Replies Alfred, “Well we best be getting back to the estate, and make sure to not keep your Grandparent waiting.” He says in his British accent.
We walk to the car, which is parked no further than 10 steps away, He opens the side door of our 2014 Bentley and we drive off.

It’s now Saturday, and I've got the day to myself. I choose to go to my favorite place in the whole world, the river bank. I walk about a mile in order to arrive at my destination. The walk is extraordinarily magnificent. To my left and endless abyss of tall English oaks, the trees are as tall as giants and the leaves are the perfect tint of green. On my left is a sa of multi color flowers and the sight of the horse pen, and the mini town for all the workers and their families to live. Ya we are in the year of 2014 but my grandparents are still old fashioned. There is a smell of fresh cut grass, and flowers in the air. The flowers smell like air freshener, but these things are the real deal. I arrive at the bank of the river that runs through the north side of the land.
The river is about 15 feet wide and 10 feet deep. All types of fish run through. In the winter the River freezes over and the entire estate is a lovely shade of white. Now its summer and the air is perfect for swimming. After all my daydreams while walking to my destination I finally arrive. I head over to my mini fort I guess you can call it. I get a can of my favorite soda, lay down in my hammock that rests in between two trees on the bank and look up at the skies making shapes out of the clouds in the sky. I arrived at 10:00 am and when I awake its only 11:12. I sit there relaxing another moment when there is a loud BOOM and the a CRACK. My heart stops and I am dead silent. Once my conscience catches up with me, I sprint back to the Manor. As I arrive I see my Grandfather outside the doors of the gigantic house and I ask panting “Grandfather! What happened? Is everyone ok? I heard a loud sound.”
He replies “A sound? I haven’t heard a sound all day.”
I say “oh” quietly under my breath.
Then there it is again, a loud BOOM and then a CRASH.
Then I shout “Grandpa! What was that?!”
He yells “Get back inside the house, find Alfred and trust anything he tells you to do. ok?”
“Ok... ya..ummm I can do that!” As I Sprint back into the house i get a glimpse of an ancient looking army that is spread as far as the land marching….
Toward me.

I arrive inside the house painting. My mind is so overwhelmed I collapse to the ground. I awake to a man in full armour that looked like it could be made of gold. A breast plate with the same fire birthmark I have on my neck. The helmet looks like the helmets that we saw from our family trip to Rome that occurred last year. The strange man also has what looks to be golden elbow and wrist plates. And shin guards made of metal.
Before I have a chance to see anything else Alfred grabs me by my collar and forces me down to the estates library. 
Once we arrive I scream “What are you doing?!”
Alfred replies “Keeping you safe”
Something's different about him. His proper british accent has been replaced by the American slang in which I use. He also is not in his standard black and white suit and tie. He is now wearing full armor that is colored silver and black with a symbol of two crossing arms in the shape of an X. His face is no longer quiet and soft, but now rugged and stern. What once was his neat pulled back hair is now a messy blonde mop atop his head. His arms that have no covering on them, and they now look like they should belong to a body builder. On his left hip lies a sword about five feet in length with a white diamond encrusted hilt. His helmet,  which is resting in his left hand. would cover his whole head and only have a slit for his eyes. He is a different man.
“Alfred what's going on?” I sternly ask
He replies in his deep voice “Every thing you think you knew about in one on this estate is wrong. Were all different people… Even your grandparents.”
At first I stand there with a blank stare glued to my face then finally register what I just heard.
“So you’re saying there is perfectly good explanation for, one” I yell holding up my right index finger. “That army of insane psychopaths trying to kill us, two: your ridiculous body armor, three: why we are in the LIBRARY waiting to be killed?!?!?!?!” 
He replies with a simple “I can not tell you… but I can show you,” and in a simple wave of his hand the endless shelf of books opens into a doorway big enough for one person of maybe six feet.
As Alfred enters the room I still stand frozen in the library and whisper “cooooooooool” in a dazed fashion.
Slowly, I take four steps and enter the giant dome of what I used to think was just a plain shelf of books. The royal red walls have intricate paintings engulfing them. In front of the paintings are layers of swords, spears, knives all having different coloring. One sword is in a gold and black patterned case. Above the case the words morte consumptis. The wall to my left is engulfed in all kinds of different armor. One armor that catches my eye is what looks to be matter black metal with accents of red and silver.
The far wall is covered in words… Billions of words. The words are all in different languages. One phrase looks as if it is chinese, and the one to its right looks to be a form of Swedish.
My admiration of the room is interrupted by Alfreds deep voice saying “Here.” and a duffle bag hits be in the rib a second later.
“HEY! What was that for!?” I yell.
“We have to go. Put these on and then we will leave.” Alfred sternly tells me. “Oh, and pick a weapon.”
I'm handed what looks to be black leather padded pants and a red long sleeved shirt with three white buttons on the neck. Im also given black leather boots. I put those articles on and without hesitation go to the weapon wall. The first weapon I wield is a one sided axe with a bolt of lighting attached to the side. As I swing it I hear “NOT THAT ONE!!!!” and  duck to cover.
My swing is over and nothing has happened. “What was that about?” I ask with a small laugh.
“How did you… wait… bu-u-u-t.. it was.”  and Alfred stops talking. In a quiet voice he says “Thats a lightning born weapon.. You’re fire born.. Its almost impossible for you to wield that. Unless…. It can’t be. Its just legend.
“What’s just legend?” I question.
“Elect” Alfred mumbles. “Or in your tongue.. Chosen."

As of an like 10 minutes ago I just found out everyone in my life isn’t who they say they, there’s an army marching to attack my family, that looks like they are straight out of the movie 300. Thats not the end of it, my butlers a freakin warrior dude, and I’m like chosen or somthing? My mind is about to explode.
“Soooo… I’m... you know chosen?” I say timidly
“Indeed… well atleast I think the final say will come from Dean Elliott Farsight.” Alfred exclaims while his chest is lifted high.
“And where are we going???” I strongly question
“We were to wait till you were at least 16 to take you to the school bu…”
“School?? Why do I need a different school?” I cut him off mid statement.
“You come from a.. uhhh gifted family” Alfred says while grinning.
I have no idea what “gifted” family he’s talking about. My grand parents are so old that all they do is sit, read, and repeat. My parents bodies are lying at the bottom of the pacific ocean and I haven't heard a word from any of my uncles or aunts since my parents were alive.
My parents died when I was ten on a sunken cruise ship off the coast of baja mexico. My once healthy grandparents flew out from London to watch me while my parents were away. After the news had reached us none of my aunts and uncles would take me in. My grandparents were left no other choice but to take me back to England with them.
Then again I have no idea what particular “gifts” Alfred speaks of. The only gifts my family has is the gift of abandonment and money. My thought process gets interrupted by a “Get your weapon then we have to leave” from alfred
I scan the corridor of deadly tools and one catches my gaze. Two identical swords with death black hilts and blood red blades. In Between the two swords is a spear about 6’5 feet tall with the same black shaft and blood red head.
“GIMME I WANT” I say with a drooling tone in my voice
“I don't know which one you're talking about but get it then lets leave.”
l way. My body still hasn't adjusted to the new leather makeover my legs and torso have received, so I waddle of to the wall. I find that the three weapons attack on some sort of sling to the wearers back in a diagonal form.
I tell alfred that I am ready, He escorts me into this odd form of transportation, and we leave at at least 300 mph. The golden car is in the shape of an eagle and a Ford F-150. I get in the car and theres a silhouette of a man in the drivers seat. On my left, in the same row of seating, is Alfred. The driver speeds down a pitch black tunnel and when I think were to hit the end were shot out into the battlefield.
The Car begins to lift off the ground and spontaneously take flight. I catch a glimpse of our mansion one last time, only to find the men in armour casting fire from their hands, and burning the house to the ground. I feel as if time has frozen and I just take a picture in my head of my home. Men in silver armour looking to be casting lightning at the men using fire. A last glimpse of my favorite river makes my eyes tear.

Fire shoots toward both sides of my body. I duck and run down the vacant street. The stretch of concrete is only lit by a street lamp every once and a while. Two figures in black cloaks stalk me casting fire from every which way. I run into a dead end. The end of the street is cut off by a tall black house. The figures close in and my eyes glint with flame.
I awake in a foreign bed in a heavy sweat. The sheets are dark red with gold and black accents. The room is a different shape than my one at home, yet all my posters and scarves hang on the wall. My xbox one sits on the tv stand which lies past the foot of my bed.
I’m dressed in what looks to be silk pajamas that match my bed. My flesh is clean, and my hair is fresh. I sit up wondering where I was. I didn't know what my next step would be. “Okay” I say aloud to myself “ my first option is to explore outside my door, lock myself here and wait, or sleep”
       I choose to explore. I find my phone in my bedside table charging. I pick it up and shove it into my pocket.
       My hand pulls the doorknob and I push. The long corridor is covered in royal red carpet and the walls are engulfed in old weapons and ancient armours. The architecture is somewhat of a mix of ancient Roman and Victorian. Behind the armours lies intricate drawings of battles and life scenes.. Kinda like hieroglyphic  Then my thoughts are interrupted by a soft gentle voice saying "hello Ryan, I am Dean Elliot Farsight. Principle of Your new school."
       "New school?? What is this place? It looks like a castle!" I exclaim
     "This is the boarding school for kids like you."
     "And what exactly am I like??"
“You’re a special born.. but not any one of us… you’re chosen. The prophecy has spoken of a fire born male to rise up and be chosen and now it seems to have come true.”

I let his words sink into my mind. “Chosen..” I say back to myself a few times.
“Hold on Professor, I dont even know what you mean by one of us.” I say
With a firm Reply Dean Farsight says “Everyone who attends this school is born of one of the many different powers in this world. There are sword born, arrow born, water born and thousands more. These kids parents went to this school. We train you on your power, we teach you of our kinds history, and you complete quests for the Great ones. You… being the chosen one will face many hardships in your life.”
I make a face that says “Ummmm that totally didn't register in my head” but aloud I say “oh”
“I expect great things from you, Mr. Sparks” The aged man says then turns his back and head down the hallway
I stop his departure by saying “I can cast fire from my hands.” I tell him
“Ahhh.. as I expected. Just like your dad.”
“You knew my dad?!?”
“Of course I did. I was as you remember.. Uncle Elli.”

“Uncle Elli… Uncle Elli.. Why is that name so familiar.” I say in my mind as I pace back and forth in my new room.
When I made the discovery it hit me like a ton of bricks. When my parents went on their cruise they told  me they were leaving with my Uncle Elli. He was there when my parents died. Dean Farsight knows. And now I need to know.
My head starts hurting because of all these thoughts going through my head. Or its the fact that I probably haven't had a sip of water since I was at the mansion.
Theres a sound at my door, a knock I think to myself. Who could possibly be needing to talk to me. I head over the the door and swing it open.
A girl who looks about 15 years old with blonde hair and a bow on her back stands there looking up at me.
“Hi” she says to me
“Uhhhh Hi?” I reply to her
“So you’re the new guy. My grandfather told me to come say hi to you. So I did. Bye”
“Wait!” I yell “What’s your name?”
“My names Emily, I know who you are though.. Rylan Spark.. The infamous chosen one. Ya I heard, my grandpa is the headmaster here sooo Word gets to me a lot quicker.”
“You know you're kinda cute” I lie, shes actually the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.
“I know.” She says with a sarcastic tone then heads down the hall.
I think in my head “oh my God.” I fall on my face into bed and for the rest  of the day think of her. Is it creepy? Ehhh maybe. Do I have good reason?  YES I DO.
The night passes and I drift off into a deep sleep.
The same dream appears in my head. The lengths of fire from all sides, the same voices, phrases. and it always end with me waking up in a deep sweat. The green light on my x-box flashes. The world outside my window is a ghostly shade of black and gray. Wherever I am in the world, light pollution is no problem. The hallway is lit and every once and a while a shadow will pass the light that is accepted under my door.
After a few hours of dazing off then waking back up, I choose to go outside. The corridor I walk down dead ends, so I head back towards my room. The long hallways remind me of the Luxurious hotel my family stayed in a few years back. When I reach the other end it leads to a staircase. I walk down the carpeted stairs to a lower level. It seems to be the second floor. I gaze outside a window to see the sun gently rising in the distance. At this time I get a real visual of my surroundings. The ocean is swaying in the far distance. It smells of sea water and brass. There are a few mountains on my left, the tips are coated in snow, yet the weather down here feels warm. The breeze refreshes me. The is rising in the far horizon and it truly is beautiful.
I keep walking down to the ground floor where the doorway spits me out into a cold breeze. The place I’m in is castle like with high walls and many buildings. The courtyard i'm in is vacant. I stroll toward a far building with an odd symbol above the doorway.
I notice that every building around me has a kind of crest on them. The on to my right has two crossing swords, in front of me is a lighting bolt. To my right is a spear, behind me is an axe. Then I turn to the building that I walked out of. The crest is the same birthmark I have on my neck. The streak of fire.

The sun is full risin when I hear a bell sound. Im still in the courtyard in my pajamas. Waves of kids come out from their buildings, all dressed in different outfits. Some in what looks to be full body armour, others wearing uniforms. A group of kids passes me whispering to each other while staring directly in my eyes. Another group of cute girls walk by and giggle to each other. I catch the words “Who’s the new kid.” and “He’s kinda cute.”
I reply to them “Thanks.” to them as they giggle then run off. A larger kid walks bye and stares me down wit his slits for eyes.
. Im still in the midst of scanning my surroundings when a man says my name. I look in all directions then see the source. He’s tall and has blonde hair, and a blonde beard. He is in battle dress and has two foot and a half knives on both ends of his belt.

“Here’s your schedule, I’m Mr. Talkis, professor of battle combat.”
“Thats a subject?” I say trying not to sound rude.
“Why yes,”  he says as if I've never heard of his line of work.
I glimpse down at the paper he handed me.

1st   8:00-9:00       Introduction Power Born History      Professor Keit
2nd  9:04-10:04          Introduction to Power Control         Mrs. Jensen
3rd 10:08-11:08                   War Strategy                           Mr. Janeit
Break
4th 12:08-1:08              Combat and Survival  1-2             Mr. Baritor
5th  1:12-2:12                       Blacksmithing                    Mr. Hoothian
Lunch
Daily activity

This is the best looking school schedule I think I've ever seen. I only have five periods and it seems I get a one hour break. Could this be any better?
Kids still pass by me, I think in my head how strange these kids are.
I decide that I need one more day before I truly start school again. I walk back to my room in my silk pajamas and crawl back in bed. Then it hits me.
What happened back at the estate? Are my Grandparents alive? What truly happened.
I’m now standing and pacing back and forth in my room, when something in the corner of my room catches my eye. The object in the corner is the group of weapons I chose the night of the invasion. The two black swords catch a bit of light, and the spear in the middle sparkles like black ocean of differnt colors
I check my phone to see if I have any new notifications, nothing… I wish I could just get some news from Alfred.. or anyone.
My television is playing my favorite tv show, Island Survival, and my room is scattered in clothes already. I hear a bell ring from outside my open window, and the immediate chatter of teenage voices. I catch a loud “Pass it here bro” and a “Has anyone seen a golden dagger?”
I giggle, and tell myself how awesome this place is. I spend the rest of my day eating junk food, playing x-box and trying  not to worry about my grandparents.
The sun outside my window gleams in and lights up my room. My worries melt away. Im warmed by my new surroundings. I hear another kid yell something in a language like Spanish. I dont know the reason for it, but I am comfortable in my new home.

“BEEP-BEEP-BEEP” my alarm screams. I lean over on my bed to check the time on my phone. Its 6:30. I roll out of bed and trudge into my bathroom. I strip my clothes and enjoy the soothing hot water engulf my body. I get out, dry myself, and take a look in the mirror. My dirty blonde hair is in a messy wet tangle and skin has become darker. “I tanned without having to be in the sun… SWEET.” I say
After i've dressed in my uniform, I head to my first class. “Okay, intro to power born history. Professor Keit.” I say aloud. At this time i'm walking down the stairs of my dorm into the open quad. I ask a girl where Professor Keit teaches and she tells me the north end. I also ask where I was. She replies with a giggle and tells me that I'm in the student housing. She also says to just walk out the entrance and on my left will be the fighting ground and the big buildings will be the school. We say our goodbyes without exchanging names.
I get to the north end to see an older woman wearing a long violet dress with intricate designs and highlights of gold and blue. She is welcoming kids into her classroom. Her snow white hair is pulled back in a bun with a dagger keeping it in place. Her kind eyes are hidden behind spectacles of a different age.
I approach the door and ask “Hey, uhh are you Professor Keit?”
The woman smiles and replies “Yes I am.”
“I’m your new student, Rylan-”My words are cut off with her saying
“Sparks.. Yes I know who you are. I’ve been waiting a long time to teach you. Well go inside and find your seat.
I enter the classroom to see that pretty
blonde girl who welcomed me to the school. I jet over to the vacant seat to her right and plant my butt to the chair.
“Its chosen boy.” she smirks.
“Its pretty girl” I reply
“You really don't care what people think of you.” she says with a sense of kindness in her voice
“only certain people.” I say hinting that I cared what she thought.
The teacher started to speak about the Sixth age of power born civil war, She said how to the non power born humans were tricked into thinking that the civil war was between the north and the south when infact it was fire borns and Spear born.
As Professor Keit kept enlightening us on the subject I turn to the cute girl who greeted me my first day and say “I never got your name.”
She grins and says “I’m Emily. Whats your name.”
There was a sense of sarcasm in her voice but I still say “Rylan Sparks.”
Our conversation is interrupted with the teacher saying a  loud “OOOOKKAAAY. You will be tested on this next Tuesday.. Remember NEXT TUESDAY.”
The class ended and my mind is still trying to grasp the fact that I was taught the wrong thing my whole life. Then again apparently I can control fire so thats not a first big shock.
The day passes on.. I go to “controll of you powers” class or whatever its called. All that thing was, was just like a yoga class with a little taste of element borns shooting water and earth at each other.
My next class is war strategy which is pretty much where the teacher stand in front with a map and people come up and tell her where the left flank should come from.. Answer is the left…
I feel the day dragging on but am relieved to see that it is break. I go into the open space in between the classrooms and in the distance I see a broad golden hawk flying over the school. The hawk I see is no ordinary hawk. The talons it is equipped with is in the shape of sythe. On this bird the talons are metal, They sparkle in the mid morning light like a mirror radiating sun. I get a glimpse of my flame birthmark printed into what looks to be an article of clothing on the bird.
I am distracted when I hear “Hey Rylan!” in a joyful shout. I turn around to find out that it is Emily smiling and running toward me. She takes my hand  in hers and starts pulling me toward the main castle.
“Not that holding hands with you isn't great and all.. could you tell me what were doing?” I plead
“My Grandpa needs to talk to you” She states
I think in my head “ahhhhhh crap” I go through what I've done amongst the few days i've been at school… but so far my days have consisted of: Sleep, T.V, Candy, and half a day of school. We run up a long spiral staircase that spits you into an even longer corridor with a broad golden door at the end of it.
I'm still led by Emily tugging on my hand. We arrive in front of the door. I take a huge breath and walk in.
Engulfing the walls are every power born class there is. I estimate about 200. I never knew how many power born classes there actually are. The room is all on one floor but thousands of what guess to be priceless relics lie on tables and display boxes around the corners. On the far wall there is a glimmering sword that looks like colored glass stained blue, with a golden hilt. The sword reads omni powerful. In a big chair Dean Farsight sits, glasses and all staring at me.
“Mr. Spark.” He says in his low voice “I have called you here to discuss an urgent matter. We have received word of Malum Keep gathering an army to attack here and steal something of importance. They say he marches with 15,000 strong. He is not using ordinary men to invade. He is using Fire borns with burnt souls, Sword born. These men have powers beyond our imagination. This mean war on my  school ground.”
I take a moment to think about the situation rather than the words that are about to come out of my mouth when I say “no offence, but what does this have to do with me?”
I see the smile widen on his thin pursed lips. In a calm tone he says “if I am not mistaken, but your are the chosen one... aren't you? What use are you to me if you can't fight, or even use your powers correctly. I see a fire in you boy.. Something most students at my school would kill for. And you and Mr. Keep have a history together. Malum Keep is the reason your parents arent here”
At those words a spark lit inside my body. I tried to hide my immediate rage.
“What am I supposed to do about the fact that I would be nearly useless in battle.”
“You need to travel to the warriors grail.”
“Sounds fun.” I say with a all seriousness in my voice.
“You will need to be accompanied. Its not but a two day trip. You will take.. hmmm Emily, and Mike.. Two of my best fighters.
As soon as I heard Emilys name my heart skipped a beat.
“You leave tonight. What they're going to do to you at the grail is going to make you strong, brave, powerful, smart on the battlefield. Mr. Spark you leave tonight and will not come back the same.

The next morning Dean Farsight sent us off with a guard in one of those flying car lion things that I was taken to the school in but in a giant bus form. The ride over there was easy. I had taken my weapons that had never truly been used, well by me. Our sleeping arrangements were we each got a bunk. It was only one night. I was sitting on the couch in the bus trying to study one of my two short swords. Emily is probably lying down in her bed and I'm seated next to Mike. Mike is cleaning his set of about five axes that lie in front of his feet on the ground.
The boy has short brown curly hair, and on his neck he has the same birthmark as me… but in the shape of two intercrossing axes. All of his axes share the same golden hilt leading into a golden rosemary colored blade. All the axes have a diamond encrusted into the bottom. No axe is the same size, nor the same shape. The biggest one is has a long shaft leading into the rosemary golden axe heads on both sides. The size down has the same thing but the blade is only one sided. From there down the axes seem to lose a few inches all the way into the size of a throwing hatchet.. which is what i'm guessing it is.
Even though emily is not in the room her bow and quiver are. The cylinder case we arrows are held in look to be made of a tinted blue glass. On both ends of the case are golden borders. The arrows themselves are equipped with white feathers and a golden butt  where the arrow connects with the bow string. The shafts are the same glass and the tips are elegantly golden. Her bow mimics the rest of her weapons. The bow is the same blue glass but with crazy golden work to it.
I think in my head “am I the only one in the world with black and red weapons?” I laugh aloud at that.
“Whats so funny” Mike says.
I tell him the reason for my laughter and he begins to laugh along with me.
I can’t tell if it is a serious laugh or a “I have to laugh cause I dont want to be rude” laugh. On the t.v there is Italian soccer playing. Juventus is up 1-0 against a.c Milan. This van reminds me of my room at the estate. The white walls with the red carpet. And the couch is almost the same shade as my bed frame was. I peek outside the window to see us flying over some mountains, but in the distance is what looks to be a sanctuary. Its high walls lie atop a mountains edge. We get closer until we are no more than a few kilometers from the giant church like building. The car is landed in front of the two large wooden doors. There are three cloaked figures waiting for us. My admiration is interrupted with Emily tapping me on the back. “Hey pretty boy. get your weapons on and lets head in.”
I do as she told me to and leave the bus.
We all walk to face the three hooded figures. I hear Emily whisper “be very polite. These are the most powerful power born elders. Every Power born Elder lives here. And you pretty boy have the potential to control all of their powers.”
The bricks, and glass that make up the large building glimmer in the sunlight. The air is still cold and the mountains cast an everlasting shade on us. An eerie sound rings in the distance, it is a church bell, low and loud. The snow fall isn’t as chilling as our surroundings. The long walk of stone walkway will soon lead us to them. If you were to go off the side of the path you would clearly fall a few hundred feet. The edges of stone are covered in white snow. Fear is over running me when I feel Emily’s warm hand intertwine with my own. You know for being such a great archer she has small hands. I am comforted.
We arrive in front of the men. Their heads were bowed. I say “Hello, I am Rylan Spark. I am the chosen one and I am here to be taught the ways of you.”
The middle figure looks up and to my surprise it is a female. Without any words in a quick motion she moves her left foot back and both arms up. Out of her hands shoots Blue and white fire. Straight at us. Something overpowers me and I do a 360 degree turn and blast my hands out.
The fire that was bound to scorch us was now being shot at the elders. The middle elder flicked her wrist and the fire disappeared. She let down her black hood to reveal an old woman with fire red hair. She says to her two companions “NOW!”
The two elders on both sides of her lunge at me. One pulls a sword out from his cloak and the other a spear. Once again something takes over my body and I draw both swords. In a swift motion I pray the sword elder and I turn to dodge a spear directed for my stomach. In the same motion I bring my swords high in the air and let them fall down with much force. I shatter the shaft of the elders spear. The woman steps forward and says “Rylan Spark, you are ready.

I awake in a deep sweat in my bed at school. Outside the dorms I hear shouts saying things such as “Three hours.” and “Ready the men.” These voices are not voices of teens or kids, but rather grown men and women. I jump out of bed but am startled when I see Emily, Mike, and Dean Farsight at the foot of my bed.
“He’s awake!” I heard Mike say
“Finally.” says Emily
“Prepare him” Says Dean Farsight.
“Oh no.” I say “Is Malum Keep marching with his army today.” I say trying to keep my voice calm.”
Emily immediately answers “yes.”
“You were taken inside the sanctuary.You came out unconscious. They said you can now protect the cause. How do you feel?”
“I feel great.” I say
“Good” says Mike “Well get up and put on your armour. We fight in a few hours.”
I do as I’m told.
I put on my black, red, and silver armour on, and rush downstairs.
When I open the door to the open area in between the dorms I see Men is silver armour with the symbol for sword born running out the gate and start heading down the hill.
Emily and Mike are waiting for me. When they were in my room I didn't get to see their armour but Emily’s is matching her weapons. He blonde hair is pulled back and is wearing a headband that is intertwined glass and gold. I never knew a girl could look so fierce yet so beautiful. Mike also matches his weapons. His helmet is the two shades of gold that his axes are and in the middle of his forehead is the diamond.
Emily tells me to follow her and I do. We take the same route as those past guards. We run down the dirt road of the school. I look behind my shoulder to admire the school and dorms again, but I know I won't turn back. The men that ran out of the courtyard are now lost in a sea of identically dressed men, at least 5,000 strong. Those men are the first few rows.
The rows that are farther back are wielding bows and the ones behind them are are own classmates. None of the students are wearing the same armour. and everyone wielding a different kind of weapon. Behind them I see the tech born calculating the angels of the catapults. And along the horizon an army marches. An army I will have to fight. I will have to kill. Whatever lies in my future, I am ready for.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.