Romancing Nature | Teen Ink

Romancing Nature

November 6, 2014
By santharowles, Cupertino, California
More by this author
santharowles, Cupertino, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

What inspired me to write this story, was one of my favorite authors, John Green. He has amazing books that have a crazy adventure, but at the same time, there's always a love story that you fall in love with. He has this magical way of making you fall in love with the characters. I attempted to mimic his style and I hope it worked.

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences


"Hurry up Hayes! We're going to be late!" My mom yelled from the car.
"Coming!" I yelled and ran out the door.
It was the summer of junior year and my mom had signed me up for a dreadful overnight science camp out in the middle of nowhere. She thought I had "social" problems at school, which I didn't, and wanted me to make more friends. When I got into the car, my mom asked, "Excited?"
"Um not really mom."
"Oh come on Hayes! It's going to be so much fun!"
The camp was up in the rocky mountains in Colorado. We lived about an hour away, so I thought, "How bad could it be?" When we pulled up, I just about found out. There were swarming bugs and weird animals everywhere. One thing you should know about me, I HATE NATURE. The place also looked like a ghost town that had recently been set on fire. I looked over at my mom, and I could tell she was thinking the same thing as me. Sadly, she was still very excited. "Well what are you waiting for? Let's go!"
  We got out of the car and walked over to a table with a sign that said "CHECK-IN HERE." There were some other kids that had arrived before me. Both boys and girls. They were already setting up tents and a campfire. I also saw some older people, most likely the camp leaders. The man behind the table extended his hand and said, "Welcome to Camp Claw! I'm Aaron."
My mom shook his hand and then I did. I wondered why the camp was called Camp Claw, but it quickly slipped my mind as Aaron kept talking.
"What's your name kid?" he said.
"Hayes. Hayes Richardson.’’ I replied. He checked off my name on a piece of paper.
"Nice to meet you Hayes. You can go help the other kids set up for tonight. You'll be staying in that tent over there, with Zaydon. " he said as he pointed to a tent.
"What's tonight?" My mom asked.
"Oh, just a little get-to-know-everyone campfire. It's going to be a blast." Aaron said.
We thanked him and walked away. My mom gave me the "be safe talk," told me to make some friends, hugged me, and drove away, leaving me all alone. I walked over to the other kids and walked up to a boy with dirty blonde hair. He looked nice so I introduced myself.
"Hi, I'm Hayes. Is this your first year at Camp Claw?"
"Hi!" He seemed very excited. "I'm Xavier, but everyone calls me by my last name, Kingsley. And no, actually this is my second year here! I loved it so much, I asked my mom to sign me up again!" I'm guessing it's your first year though..Am I right?"
"Nice to meet you Kingsley. Yeah, how did you know?"
"Bro, look at what you're wearing." I looked down at my outfit and I realized I was kind of out of place. It was about 95 degrees and I was wearing jeans and a winter coat. I looked around and everyone else was wearing t-shirts and shorts.
"Ha-ha, I guess you're right. I'll go change, it is pretty hot."
"Okay, but hey meet me back here, I want to introduce you to my friends."

 I started walking away to my tent when I saw the most beautiful girl I had ever seen step out of a car. Her long dark, chocolate brown hair flowed in the wind and her bright green eyes glistened in the sunlight. The sky was this beautiful blue color and it made her stand out even more. She was beautiful. She looked over my way and I quickly looked down hoping she wouldn't catch me staring at her. Then I remembered that I was going to change. I ran over to the tent with my bags and opened up the tent. There was a boy with bleach blonde hair sitting down on the floor reading a book.
"Oh, hi." I said. He kept his head down, reading. Maybe he didn't hear me. "Hi." I said a bit louder this time. He looked up and smiled.
"Oh hi! Didn't see you there! You must be Harry!" He said.
"Actually Hayes, and you're Zaydon?" I said.
"Oh my bad, Hi Hayes, nice to meet ya. Yeah I'm Zaydon!" He seemed nice, this was good. Maybe camp wouldn't be so bad after all. Then I remembered all the hiking and nature and bugs and trees. Never mind.
I set my stuff down and told him I was going to change. I quickly changed into a t-shirt and shorts and asked him if he wanted to come with me to meet up with Kingsley, maybe he knew him. I was right he knew him, maybe just not in the best way.
"Kingsley? Oh that jerk. Yeah let's just say we don't really get along. It's a long story. It's okay, I'll see you tonight at the campfire."
I said okay and walked out. I saw Kingsley and ran up to him. He wasn't alone though. He was with the beautiful girl I had seen earlier. They were laughing and smiling at each other. Kingley saw me and said, "Oh hey Hayes! I want you to meet my beautiful girlfriend, Cameron."
Girlfriend? Aw Man, I was hoping that, maybe, you know, actually, there would be no chance anyways. I gave a smile and she said, "Hi, I'm Cameron!"
"Hayes, nice to meet you." Her smile was brighter the sun, or it seemed like that. Kingsley broke the awkward silence by saying, "Come meet the rest of my friends Hayes!" I wondered why Zaydon thought Kingsley was such a jerk, he seemed so nice.
We walked up to a group of guys and girls. "Hayes, meet my friends. Friends, meet Hayes. This is Dylan," Kingsley pointed out the people as he talked, "Connor, Anneka, Cristian, Brooke, and Luke." I smiled and waved and all of them smiled and waved back, expect for Connor, who kind of just stared at me. It was a weird kind of stare, kind of creepy. They started talking again and included me in their conversation. "So Hayes, where you from boy?" asked Luke. He had a funny country accent. I liked it.
"I live about an hour up north." I said. Then everyone started talking to me. Everyone seemed really nice. I looked over at Cameron and she was laughing about something with Kingsley. Apparently, Dylan was watching me looking at her and said, "Don't even think about it, Kingsley will kill you."
I kind of nodded and then thought about it. Then, Aaron, the camp leader, yelled, "Who's ready for campfire?! Everyone meet at the quad in 5!"

We all walked as a group to the quad and there were a lot of people at Camp Claw now. The moon had come out now and someone started the fire in the middle of the quad.  "Attention Everyone! We're going to play a little game now, to get to know everybody. It's called rap-a-campa." said Aaron. Just by the name of it, I could tell it was going to be bad.
"Here's how it works. We're going to go around in the circle and everyone has to come up with a mini rap about your name, and something interesting about you. Oh and it has to rhyme! I'll give you guys five minutes to come up with something and then we're starting with you." He pointed to a small blonde kid sitting next to him in the circle. Oh boy, this was going to be bad. I knew I was going to make a bad first impression on myself.  After five minutes, Aaron said, "Here we go. Let's hear it blondie."
"Um. Um. Um." I think he said "um" about 50,000 times before he started.
"Um my name is Chris and I'm Swiss?" he said. Aaron pointed to the next kid.
"Yo my name is Will and I'm pretty chill. Hi my name is Sue and I use shampoo.” And so on. Eventually there were 5 people before me. I still had no clue what to say. Hayes, what rhymes with Hayes?
"Wassup my name is Kingsley and if you don't know me, I'm actually pretty silly." Close enough, I thought.  Two people until me.
"My name is Luke and tonight imma go around your tents and give you a spook. My name is Cameron and I love monkeys, such as the tamarin. " Clever, I thought.
Okay here goes. "Hi my name is Hayes and I can make you fall in love in so many ways." Wow. not bad, I thought to myself. It could've gone worse. I looked over at Cameron to see her reaction and she was smiling at me.  When I was looking over her way, I couldn't stop but noticing that Connor, was staring at me again. Strange.  After the last couple of kids had gone, Aaron said, "Okay good job everyone! Now off to your tents. Lights out at 11. Tomorrow we're going on a long, hot hike."

The next morning I woke up to Zaydon singing a Taylor Swift song. He was  pretty awful. When Zaydon saw me, he said, "Oh good morning sleepy head." He was already changed and ready to go.
"Oh hey Zaydon." I said.
"Ready for the big hike?" he asked.
"Hike? Oh. Oh yeah that. How long is it?"
"Only about 20 miles."
"Only about 20 miles?! Oh boy I'm screwed." I said. I think the farthest I ever hiked was from my living room to my kitchen. 
"Don't worry, it's not too bad. Also, we take a lot of breaks." Zaydon said.
I got ready and I left the tent and caught up with the other kids and camp leaders. I walked up to Cameron and my other new friends. For some reason, I noticed that Cameron and Kingsley weren't standing next to each other or talking or anything. Cameron even looked at Kingsley and rolled her eyes away.  After we all started walking towards the trail, I asked Luke what was up with them. He told me that Kingsley had been caught with another girl late last night and Cameron found out. "Oh." I said,  trying not to smile. "Okay! Everybody listen up! Today, we are going on a 21 mile hike!" said one of the camp leaders. Oh great. It was 21 miles, not 20. I knew I was going to fall apart halfway through and make a fool of myself. We got to the trail and it was all uphill. We were all walking together. Connor was next to me looking over at me every time I even glanced his way. He eventually got a little ahead of me and I asked Luke why he kept doing that. What Luke said, I was not expecting. "He's gay dude. Can't you tell?" And then everything made sense.
The hike was starting to get harder.  We weren't even close to being done and I was breathing like I had just won the Boston Marathon. Cameron came up to me and started saying something when we were interrupted by a loud sound. It sounded like it had come from the top of the mountain. Suddenly, rocks started to fall from the mountain. "AVALANCHE!" screamed the camp leaders. Huge rocks were tumbling down the mountainside. It was very dangerous. "Everyone run to the other side of the trail!" Aaron, the camp leader, yelled. Cameron and I were running as fast as we could when suddenly a gigantic rock that would've crushed us like grapes if we had ran any further, landed right in front of us. It blocked the whole trail. The avalanche had come to an end, but there was nowhere to go. The campers were on one side, and we were trapped on the other.

Cameron screamed. She kept screaming. We tried to push the rocks away but they were too heavy. They blocked the whole trail. We tried calling out the other campers names, but there was nothing. Had they left us here to die, or had they forgotten about us? Cameron and I were stuck on the other side of trail, and it wasn't the side that led back down to camp. Cameron kept saying, "There has to be a way out. There has to."
"Hayes! Push the rocks out of the way!" Cameron said.
"I'm trying. Can't you see?" I said.
"WELL PUSH HARDER." Cameron was having a panic attack.
"Cameron, relax, everything is going to be fine. " I calmly said.
We decided to try to walk the other way and see if there was a loop out. The sun was already starting to go down. The weird insects were starting to come out and strange animals were making strange sounds. It was getting scary.  Then I heard a small growl. My stomach. I realized I had not eaten for  a very long time. We kept walking, but there was nothing. Just trails, trails, and more trails. It was almost dark now. I kept looking over to see if Cameron was still there. I didn't feel safe, but definitely more safe with her here. Then we heard the coldest sound ever. A wolf's howl. We were dead. I knew it. Cameron knew it too by the look on her face. It was getting really dark now and the full moon was out. "What is this, Twilight?" Cameron said.
"Hayes, maybe we should rest. We can start looking for a route out in the morning." She said.
"Yeah! That sounds perfect!" I said sarcastically. "Maybe we can find the wolves cave and ask them if they have any vacancy!"
"Um actually," She was pulling something out of her backpack." Unlike you, I was prepared." She pulled out a weird folded thing. That weird folded thing was a small tent.
"CAMERON I LOVE YOU." I said. Maybe we weren't going to die that night.
She gave me a little smirk and I was really happy she was there with me. Her smile was quite comforting.
Although the tent provided shelter, it wasn't as comfortable as I might've wanted it to be. Our backs were lying on the hard, rocky, dirt ground. The jagged rocks were digging into my back. Ouch.
"You know, what if we can actually find a way out tomorrow? I think we can do it Hayes." Cameron said.
"I think you're right. Don't worry, we'll be out in no time." Although I did not think so. Cameron took my hand and smiled. Then she fell asleep on my shoulder. I closed my eyes too and fell asleep slowly.

I woke up to a low growl. This time, it wasn't my stomach. I heard it again. This time, louder and closer. I could make out a shadowy figure outside the tent, but I couldn't tell what it was. I quickly woke up Cameron.
"What do you want?" she groaned. Suddenly, a huge claw the size of Cameron's head ripped through the tent. Bear. "BEAR!!" It was the size of Cameron and I combined. It clawed and ripped right through the tent.
"RUN!!" Cameron screamed. Now we were dead. We ran out of the tent and I yelled, "I THINK I KNOW WHY IT'S CALLED CAMP CLAW NOW!" I ran as fast as I could without looking back. Suddenly Cameron made a sharp turn into the woods and I went the opposite direction. I didn't stop.  It seemed like I had run a mile before I looked back. There was nothing. Oh no. What if it went after Cameron? I sprinted back like I was in the Olympics. I yelled her name out when I got back to the ripped up tent. Nothing. No no no no no. I ran into the woods the way she ran and looked for her. "Cameron! Where are you?!" I yelled. Suddenly I heard a twig snap to my left. What if it was the bear? Uh oh. "Hayes, help." a soft voice groaned. Cameron. I ran over to her and she was limping. I looked down at her leg. It was bleeding. The bear must've clawed her.  She was in pain, I could tell. I put her on my back and ran back to the tent. I opened her bag to see if she had a first aid kit or anything. Of course. I pulled it out and got some tape cloth. I wrapped her leg to decrease the pain. "Thank you, Hayes." Her eyes were starting to close. "Cameron, no stay with me. Everything is going to be fine." She tried to keep them open, but they closed. I would let her rest. I cried at the fact that she almost just died. I wrapped my arm around her and fell asleep on the cold, dusty ground.

dusty ground.
The next morning, I was hoping to wake up in my tent back at camp and tell myself it was just a twisted dream. I couldn't though. There I was, sitting on the mountainside. Something was missing, though. Cameron! "Cameron!!" I screamed. I was panicking and breathing hard now. Then she walked out of the trees. She was still limping, but it wasn't as bad. She had wrapped her leg again, and did a much better job than I had. She was holding two sticks. On the sticks, there were two fishes on the ends. They looked cooked and yummy.
"Whoa, where did you get that?" I asked in awe. 
"River on the other side of the mountain. They taught us how to catch fish last year and roast them." She handed me a stick with a fish on it and said, "Breakfast is served." I smiled and thanked her. She was so smart. "Hey, your leg looks better!" I said.
"Yeah, doesn't hurt as much. Thanks for wrapping it last night by the way. Thank goodness you found me. I don't know what would've happened if.." I stopped her." Let's not talk about it, Cam. Too depressing." I noticed a gold charm bracelet on her wrist. I asked her, "What's that bracelet for?"
She said, "My mother gave it to me when I was little and a year later she passed away, so I wear it every day. The charms represent something though. This one is love, this one hope, courage, braveness, and happiness."
"Cameron, I'm so sorry." I said. I realized the sky was a weird grayish color. It was going to rain. It started to drizzle. By the time I was finished eating my delicious fish, it was pouring. "Man. Now we can't look for a way out of this place."  Cameron said.
"True, but you said there's a river on the other side of these woods?" I smiled at her. She smiled at me back. She knew what I was thinking. "Race you there!" She said. She got a head start and I sprinted after her. When we got there, the river was moving slowly and it was beautiful. The water was so clear that I could see the reflection of the mountains in it.
"Hey Hayes, do you know how to make a small boat? Let's go for a little ride." Cameron asked.
"Funny you ask, I've been going to boat making workshop for five years now." Cameron laughed. She thought I was joking.
"I'm serious Cameron." I actually was telling the truth.
"Oh my gosh, you are so funny." Cameron said.
Okay, let's do this. Cameron, go find any kind of wood. Preferably live oak."
"On it." She said and ran off. I went to look for some pine tar and other materials I needed. We met back at the same spot 20 minutes later. I was surprised by how much wood Cameron had got. It was perfect. I described to her how to construct the boat and we tried. Attempt #1: complete failure. Attempt #2: Closer, but the boat fell apart when we tried to put it in the water. Attempt #3: Finally. The boat was actually quite nice, not how it looked, but the way it floated in the water. We actually fit and the boat didn't break when I hopped into it. Cameron found a large stick and we used it as an oar. I was quite proud of our little boat. Looks like boat making workshop paid off. Thanks mom. Then Cameron asked me to hold her bracelet in my pocket so she wouldn't lose it.
"Are you sure you trust me with this?" I said.
"Yes Hayes, I trust you." she said.

Our little boat ride was going actually quite well. It was very relaxing. It got even better when Cameron looked at me and took my hand. "I'm glad you're here Hayes. It's comforting." She leaned over to me and was about to kiss me when we started to hear a rushing. It was like a river, but we couldn't see anything. "What is that?" Cameron said.
"No idea." I said. It was right then that I looked over the edge and saw a huge waterfall. "Cameron!! Take my hand!" It was too late though. She tried to grab it, but we went over too fast. We were falling and I couldn't breathe. The water was gushing onto me and then the giant stick that we had used as an ore hit me smack in the head.
I woke up to a beautiful blue sky. My body was sprawled out on a rocky shore and mist was spraying on me. I looked to my right and there was the waterfall. It was huge. My body ached. I tried to get up and then I screamed. I looked down to the pain. My whole leg was bleeding. I suddenly remembered the fall. "Cameron?! Where are you?!" I tried to get up again, but I couldn't. It hurt so much. My forehead was bleeding too and I was coughing repetitively. The blood was dripping into my eyes, but Cameron was more important. I got down on my knees and slowly stood up. It hurt so much, but I had to find her. I limped around and yelled out her name, "Cameron!!" Oh no. The waterfall must have swept her away. Then I saw her. She was lying on the ground face down. I limped over to her as fast as I could. I said, "Cameron. Can you hear me?"
I turned her over so she was facing the sky. She was still alive, but barely. Her forehead was bleeding and her lip was all bruised. Her whole body was bloody and bruised. She was starting to close her eyes. "Hayes." She softly moaned in pain.
"It's going to be okay. I promise. Everything is going to be fine." I tried to tell her. "We can still find a way back to camp."
"No Hayes. No. Just stay here with me." She said. "Kiss me." She whispered.
I leaned in to her and softly kissed her on the lips. The waterfall was spraying us with mist. When I slowly pulled away from her, she said, "Hayes, just do one thing for me. Just one thing."
"Anything Cameron, anything." I said.
"Remember me." she said. A tear rolled down my cheek and then she was gone. The sun was hiding behind the clouds and the beautiful blue sky had turned to gray. Cameron was gone forever. I cried and cried. After about 2 hours of just sitting there with her, I heard a voice. "Okay, everyone this way!" yelled someone. I looked around and saw Aaron, the camp leader. Then Zaydon saw me. "Hayes? Oh My Gosh! It's Hayes!" Everyone ran over to me and then they saw Cameron. Their smiles faded and I wiped away my tears." Aaron ran over and said, "Oh my. I'm so sorry Hayes.  Come on guys, let's head back." Then he told two other guys to carry Cameron back. Camp was only about two miles away. We were so close.  When we got back to camp, we had a small funeral for her and buried her in honor. Everyone was crying. After they left, I stayed. I put my hands into my pocket and felt something. I pulled it out and in my hand was the last piece of Cameron. Her mother's bracelet. I walked over to her little grave and buried the beautiful gold chain with her. I looked up and the sky was that beautiful blue color it was when I met Cameron.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.