Was It Worth It | Teen Ink

Was It Worth It

By DannyW, Bear, Delaware
DannyW, Bear, Delaware

Success occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Author's note:

I hope people get that living in the past just leads you to tragedy.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

A warm Tuesday afternoon in Miami Florida. Middle of January, Tony Victorino former cocaine addict has accomplished his 2nd year of being sober. Tony has been in the mafia for almost 3 years now. He had just recently moved to Miami about a year ago. Previously lived in Tampa Bay. Tuesday night, Tony and his partner from the mafia, Ray Wingo are staying in their hideout together going over business. Tonys cell phone rings from an unknown number.
“ Who dis?” Tony answers in a cocky tone.
“ Michael Stunts, i got something for you my friend,” a voice calmly replies.
“ Okay okay, make it fast. I’m a busy man ya know!”
“ 10 kilos.”
“ Get the hell outta here!” Tony screeches.
“ You must not realize who I am Tony. I’ve been doing this for 20 years now. I have no reason to play games with you.” Tony pauses and looks dead into Ray’s eyes suspiciously trying to get the same connection with each other.
“ How much are we talking,” suspiciously asking.
“ All im asking for is $70,000.”
“ Give me a week and ill will be at south beach in the pocket where the beach cuts off next Tuesday day at 4:00am.”
“ Do not disappoint me my friend,” Michael replies sarcastically and hangs up immediately before Tony can reply. Tony stands up pacing around the table, smirking at Ray, rubbing his hands together beginning to clap.
“ This is what we’ve been waiting for Ray," Tony says while raising his voice.
“ The biggest cocaine dealer in all of the southern region of Florida. He must go down!”
Ray replies excitingly, “ Well what are we waiting for bro, lets get started!”
Tony and Ray stay in the hideout house all night till almost 8:30am the next morning planning their conspiracy to kill Michael and take the 10 kilos of cocaine. Tony had done something similar in the past when he was a drug addict when he lived up in Tampa Bay. Except it was with a former mafia member of his own when they were together. His name was Steve Sinatra and was the cocaine connect in all of Tampa Bay and also for Tony and the mafia. One night Steve was supposed to sell his 3 kilos for $25,000 which is pretty overpriced for cocaine. So Tony plotted against his own mafia member Steve and killed him and stole the cocaine and went to do the sale himself. Instead of doing the sale though, Tony kills the man with the $25,000 and took the money as well. After that day, Tony had to leave that area and sniff his cocaine somewhere else. So he moved to Miami.
The next night at Tony’s house while his wife is at work at the bar, a chilly breeze comes flying in, palm trees shiver wildly for a good 20 seconds. Then the phone rings. It was from Michaels number. Tony looks at his phone questionably and answers
“ Yeo!”
An odd voice answers “ Tuesday bring the money and yourself, no one else, ill be waiting in the pocket.” Phone hangs up. Tony pores himself a drink and lies in bed thinking about the conspiracy he is getting ready to do and how he can now adjust it so that it seems like he is by himself. He stirs his drink back and forth in a circle, olive spinning around, getting him dizzy as he waits for Ray to pick up the phone.
“ Yo Ray, this man Michael just called and told me to come by myself so you cannot be seen next week. Got it?”
“So what am I supposed to do dumbass you're gonna get yourself killed!”
“ Ray,” Tony pauses in disappointment. “You're still coming damnit, i need you to come and hide if anything pops up! Make sense now?” Tony screams sarcastically
“ My fault boss. I gotchu.”
Tony hangs up the phone immediately and slams his drink down onto his dresser right beside him. He begins to press both hands against his face, pulling his cheeks down in complete stress. He lifts his back off the wall behind his bed and flops himself onto his pillow and just closes his eyes and relaxes himself as the cool breeze of the spinning fan from above, blows relief onto Tony as his energy for thinking drains down and he falls asleep.
A week goes by it is Monday morning and Tony and Ray already have the Cadillac Escalade ready to go with all the ammo, 3 double barrel shotguns, 2 mini uzi, c4’s, and grenades.
“ Ray, i swear to god if you f*** up your ass is dead.”
“ Tony, you know me man, i ain't gonna do nothin’ dumb.”
“ I hope not, I wouldn’t wanna die either for doing something stupid!”
Tuesday morning comes around. The time is 3:30am, everything is ready to go and the plan is set. Tony and Ray are in the car going over the plan just to get everything straight and keep their minds fresh.
Ray sits on the passenger side of the Escalade, looking through his notes and diagram of the plan over and over again. Ray sits there trying so hard to play cool but knowing his arms are starting to sweat, palms getting wet starting to stick to the papers. Trying to sneak in some wipes at his shirt to dry his hands without Tony seeing him.
Ray reaches for the switch to open up the window saying “ Damn Tony! It’s hot as hell in here, you got the heat on or somethin’?”
“ If you don’t shut up dammit! Didn’t we just talk about how you cannot mess this up Ray. You need to get your mind right, we’re almost at South Beach. I hope you didn’t think i was playing. We’re talking about the biggest cocaine connect in all of southern Florida, he knows people that know people, that know people. If we screw this up both of our asses are dead, and i can guarantee you that dawg!” Tony preaches intensely.
3:57 comes, and they just arrive at South Beach and the car is parked in the hiding spot ready for action. 4:00am hits and the phone alarm goes off. Tony hits it energetically to shut it off. Jumping out of the car, unloading the suitcases with the C4’s inside of them, armoring up for any possible war.
Tony slams the trunk of the Escalade with the most serious and dangerous look on his face. He walks on Ray’s side of the vehicle and as he walks past Ray, they both make eye contact and the look on Ray’s face was so petrified. Tony turns back to the car quickly and taps on the glass. Ray holds the switch down for the window.
“ Please, and i repeat Ray, please do not screw this up! Me and you both need this cocaine.” Tony says in agony.
Tony back peddles, still looking at Ray, with such a stare that nobody could forget. The two stare back and forth at each other until Tony reaches the corner of the pocket. Tony nods his head to Ray. Ray nods his head back to confirm to Tony that he understands.
Turning the corner to get to the pocket, Tony sees a man sitting in a chair with his arms behind his back and dark glasses on (which made no sense to Tony and seemed a little suspicious because it was 4:00 am its extremely dark). Tony walks up to Michael in the chair waiting to pull his gun but not making it noticeable at all.
“ I don’t see 10 kilos Michael.” Tony stares at Michaels arms waiting for a response. All that was heard is the calm waves crashing, beach wind blowing sand around, and the distant sirens from business boats transporting goods over.
BANG! Grazing past Tony, a bullet shot straight to the head of Michael! Michael falls to the ground, blood leaking from his head. Coming around from the other side of the pocket, a man walks out slowly but confidently. Tony makes no movement, just looking straight to the face of the unknown man. The man makes his way closer to Tony. Face almost destroyed, skin almost peeled off completely, hair gone, and left arm half amputated. Standing about 20 feet in front of Tony, his eyes grow big. One of the only times Tony has expressed his fear in almost forever. It was Steve Sinatra that was now standing in front of him with a RSh-12 revolver in his hand. All that is running through Tony’s head right now is all the impossibilities on how Steve is still alive. He had known for a fact he killed Steve, there was no way possible he survived.
“ Long time no see my friend,” Sarcastically generating the conversation Steve says.
“ There’s no way thats you Steve!”
“ Oh, but yet again it is Tony. What’s the matter? You look so frightened, like i’m going to shoot you or something,” Steve pauses and starts to chuckle. “A friend… a brother wouldn’t do that!”
Tony stands in complete silence, shocked and nervous on what might happen next.
“ Then again, about two years ago i recall you setting me up and putting me right in the middle of an explosion and if i’m now mistaking you even took the 3 kilos of cocaine i was selling!” Steve roared in anger. “ You betrayed me in the most disrespectful way possible Tony!”
Before Tony can begin to say anything, sounds of loud engines comes from around the corner. It was 3 large black trucks, moving quite fast. They get to about 100 feet away from Tony and all three trucks slam on the brakes and skid across the sand and nearly run over Tony.
“ Damnit so close! Should’ve kept going and ran over his legs.” Steve shouts out with a chuckle. “ Now, i want you to do one thing for me Tony. You’re going to give my men those two suitcases. Then we’re going to leave this beach and head back up North. You are going to wait 10 minutes after we leave and then you’re going to go home and forget this ever happened or else you will die if you try anything slick. You hear me?”
“ You should be regretting coming down here Steve.”
Tony turns his back to Steve and throws the two suitcases to the guys standing next to the three black trucks. The suitcases his the ground, flying the sand onto the mens pants. Tony cringes at the men in disgust,staring them down. Tony doesn’t say any words but walks back towards the other side of the pocket where Ray had the escalade hidden.
Tony gets closer to the corner as Steve shouts across the beach “ Don’t forget, 10 minutes my friend!”
Tony turns nothing but his head and looks at Steve with a smile. While Tony is smiling  he reaches in his coat pocket and pulls out the detonator and fully turns his body around, spreading his arms open and screaming “  Should’ve stayed where you were Steve!”  squeezing the detonator. The suitcases explode releasing such powerful force, blowing up the three trucks as well. Tony runs around the corner getting ready to hop in the escalade with Ray.Just when things were going to plan, Ray and the escalade were no longer there. Tony presses the pager to beep to Ray so he can come for back up and come pick him up. While he presses the pager he also pulls out his phone calling Ray but no answer. Tony ditches the hideout spot and sprints behind a tree on the beach. He places his back on the tree and peeks around to see what was left after the smoke and explosion cleared up. Three men were still alive, and of course one of them was Steve. The three men start shooting towards Tony as they run behind a barrier near the blown up vehicles. As Tony and the men continue to fire shots back and forth to one another, here comes a black escalade coming from Steve and his mens side. It was Ray riding onto the beach from the wrong side of the pocket. Ray swerves and lands on the side of the beach closer the Steves side and they all recognize its none of their members. Ray gets blasted 4 shots to the chest and 2 to the head before he can throw any grenades out the window.
BLOW! Rays escalade explodes, filling the scene with smoke and sand, Sending car parts flying everywhere. The smoke and sand soon clear up, but now there is no sign of Steve and his men. Tony is not sure if the men had died or if they had moved somewhere else on the beach. Tony calls the rest of his mafia members just incase Steve is still alive and around. As Tony starts telling his mafia members where he is at and what’s going on he starts to crawl towards the destroyed vehicles. Tony gets to the vehicles and searches the area around the vehicles dead bodies of everyone except Steve. So Tony sits up against the rotten car and waits for his members to arrive on the scene. A truck comes storming onto the beach from around the corner facing Tony. Shots starting to be taking at Tony from his own mafia members. Luckily, shots are being missed as Tony heads to the other side of the truck. Tony pulls out his phone and calls his wife and and starts telling her what’s happening as he pulls out his gun to fire shots back.
“ Babe you need to call the cops as soon…” Tony’s phone and gun gets kicked out of his hands before he can finish the rest of his sentence. Steve had crawled out from under the truck Tony was sitting up against. As Tony starts to crawl backwards and face Steve he hits a rock and is now cornered. Tony’s mafia members walk their way up towards Steve and Tony. As Tony sits there in complete hysteria, his former mafia members walk up on Steve and huddle around him throwing their arms around Steve.
“ How does it feel getting betrayed by your own mafia members Tony?” As Steve begins smiling. “ Oh yeah, do you remember these my friend?” Steve throws three kilos of cocaine in front of Tony. “ Sure you don’t!”
Steve and the group of men start laughing as they all look at one another. Tony waits and ganders at the group of men.
“You’ve had a dangerous and evil life Tony, let me take the honor and put it to rest for you.”
That was the last bit of cocaine Tony had ever seen again.