The Alliance of Three Kingdoms: The King's Assassin | Teen Ink

The Alliance of Three Kingdoms: The King's Assassin

By Hawksfan95 BRONZE, Crystal Lake, Illinois
Hawksfan95 BRONZE, Crystal Lake, Illinois

Author's note: I wrote this because I wanted to have a sequel to my first book: The Element's Relic.

The day I see him ride up to the castle, is one of the most suspenseful, but still happy, days of my life. William rides up the dusty path, sweating in the hot summer sun. I rush down the tower, wanting to hear the tidings that bring him here.
“What is is?” I say, impatiently.
“First of all, hello Samuel!” he says, jumping off Gabe and embracing me.
“Seems to be that I forgot my manners! Hello William! What brings you here?” Still panting William replies:
“News has been sent that a plot to kill the King of the Warriors has been found in an abandon boarding school! I, as well as an equal of my choice, have been assigned to the problem of tracking down this assassin.”
“And I am your choice. Great! Lets assemble a team.” I say, enthusiastically.
“Actually, that won’t be necessary. Its just us two, against one man, maybe a guild.”
“Oh.” I say, slightly disappointed.
“Come into the palace, let’s make some plans.” I say, my hospitality coming in a bit late.
I lead him through the gates, and to the stables, where he houses Gabe, right next to my new horse: Spark. Then I lead him into the palace, and up the stairs, past the site of our phalanx battle. Once we are behind the heavy wooden doors, I offer him a seat, around the same table where we made plans, almost 7 months ago.

I hate this business. I really do hate hiding a secret from my greatest friend, ally, and counselor. But he is not informed enough to know that the reason I was assigned to this task because it was my father’s plans that were discovered. I don’t know why they would put someone through this, but they did. And it has been very hard. A son pitted against his father, who taught him everything I know, and still knows more.
Once again, we plan for hours, alongside The Great Sage of Fire, in the dim light of a lantern, hung over the wooden table.
For almost 4 hours we plotted. From how to get to Enhinian, where my father’s plans were discovered, and also where I was raised, and my father lives, to what we have to do, we discussed. The Great Sage determined that we must break up the guild that my father is joining for the assassination, which means killing them all. My father, however, must be taken alive.

We make surprisingly good time on our first day. We are able to spend the night in comfortable lodging, located in the Worker Capital. While lying in bed, I come to a sudden realization: most of our nights will be spent like this, not camping, because cities, towns, and villages are much closer here. Its sad, but somewhat comforting to know that we might sleep in peace and safety, at least, for now.
The days fly by, one by one, all the same. Nothing much happens until we enter Enhinian. Its late at night when we cross the city limits. Immediately, the feeling changes. Beggars hiding in corners, conserving warmth. Hunting dogs running loose, chasing and barking for meager scraps of meat. The infrastructure is in its worst condition ever, and I was here only a few days ago, when all was happy and well. Before our leader was killed. But, the worst part about the city is the tension.
As we walk in the Inn we’re staying at tonight: The Sleeping Giant Tavern and Inn, we look to the tables and see a few men fighting, and a couple more on the brink of a fight, arguing fiercely and pounding on the tables. We talk to the owner for only a second, then go off to our rooms.
“William, wake up!” I open my eyes to see Samuel hovering above me, pointing out the window. I look out, to see that all the buildings around our Inn are on fire. A small band of men, dressed in all black, who I instantly recognise as the Stealth Guild.
“Let’s go, we gotta pursue them, the Stealth Guild!” I shout. We’re both out of the building in 30 seconds, and 5 more and we’re riding off after them.
I pull out my bow, nock an arrow, pull, and release. A black cloaked rider ahead of us slumps, and falls.
Boom! I recognize the effects of Samuel’s Flame Smash. Weapons around me burst into flames, but only ahead. As my arrows are released, they are instantly transformed into miniature spears, engulfed by red flames.

The riders leap off of their horses, then throw down their weapons. As their weapons fall down, their hands go up. My bow at ready, we hop down.

“You, as well as the rest of your Stealth Guild, are sentenced to death by Warriors, Wizards, and by The Council of the Alliance. We are here to deliver this sentence to you as painlessly as possible. To clear any confusion, this is for the assistance of the assassination of the Warrior King. William, would you do the honors?” Samuel says, very seriously and sincerely.

My stomach lurches. I have killed many animals and people alike, but never up close and personal. It has always been to survive, provide for my family, for life. This is much different. I look from my arrow, nocked for survival, and into the pleading eyes of the man in front of me. I take a deep breath, and release. The arrow embeds itself in the dead center of the man's forehead, and he slumps to the ground. Just like I have done many times, the kill is perfect, practiced, and painless. I put away my bow, and this time, I draw my daggers. A trickle of blood starts to run down the dead man's neck, and I turn to the next convict, unable to watch. After another brief moment of gathering myself. Then I throw. The dagger is instantly protruding from the second man's heart. I pull the dagger out, breath, and turn. Then again, I throw. The killing becomes easier as I go, bearable, methodical, almost mechanical. Pull, breath, throw, repeat. As I work my way down the line of twenty or so men, Samuel strings the traitors to the trees, as a warning to all those involved in the assassination. After I am finished, I collapsed, weakened at the heart. In a few hours, I have determine that this was for the good of our country, and The Alliance. I stand up, mount Gabe, and we return to the road.

Last night was horrific. The gruesome sight we saw last night were hard on us both, but especially the strong willed William. My dreams, thoughts, and daydreams, all relate back to that hour. We ride along in the dark, until we reach the given point of interception. We enter an abandon building, and walk up a few flights of stairs. We walk to a window facing the road, pull up some chairs and sit, waiting. It takes a few hours for him to arrive. As soon as we hear footsteps, William draws his bow. That is when I see him, a shadowy man in a black cloak, but instead of the other convicts, William's father's has a gold outlining, and a silver insignia of position on his left shoulder.

"It will be fine" I say, trying to help him calm himself before the shot, because this is our one and only chance, and I couldn't hit him if my life depended on it, which in this case, it very well may. William carefully aims, closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and releases.

The arrow seems to travel in slow motion, towards William's father. He steps onto the street, and then, the arrow hits him, knocking him sideways, off his feet. He collapses onto the cobblestone, dead.

From here, I can already tell that the arrow has gone through his ribs, lungs and heart, deadly in any circumstance. Before even opening his eyes, William turns, and runs out of the building. I don't think he'll go too far, and I understand his plight. Nobody, of any age, should have to kill their own father. I walk outside, following William. I take with me all we brought, just in case.

I didn't expect William to run this far in a hostile city. With every step, the sinking feeling inside me grows more prominent. I call his name as I walk, also sending small flames into the sky, to help him find me. The sun rises and still I search. All day I walk through the city, eventually finding myself in places I have already looked. As the sun sets, a walk into an alley, and set up camp, hoping to find him tomorrow.

I run blinded by tears for miles and miles, until I reach the outer border of the city. Then I turn, and run back. Half an hour later, I duck inside another building. I collapse in sobs and tears, with thoughts of my father, who taught me everything I know, as well as the rest of my family. Then I think of this vital mission, and that I don't think I can continue on this quest. Finally, I collapse into the dark, endless, chasm of sleep.

I am awoken to the sound of crackling fire. I stand up, and peer through cracks in the wall at the new, mysterious, inhabitant. I am surprised to see that it is Samuel, with all of our gear. I step into the early morning light, and reveal myself to him. He helps me into a sitting position, where I cry again until I sleep.

I wake again, and Samuel is still there, tending the fire. He hands me a bowl of soup, and stands up.

"You need to sleep more, it will help you to not only regain your physical strength, but you mental and emotional strength as well. From my more recent planning, I assume you will need it, because the rest of the Stealth Guild will have received word, and will be plotting an attack on us. So, get some sleep." Samuel says to me. I finish my soup and roll over, falling asleep with the comforting thoughts that Samuel has been busy, my father's death was for the greater good, and that I will be able to continue on this roller coaster of an expedition. I have made the hardest kill, but not the hardest battle.

I have been sitting around in this half-abandoned city for almost a week, helping William recover from his trauma. I could never even begin to guess how hard this must be for him. Aside for that, all I can think of is how we’re slowly eating up our provisions, one soup at a time. I make a silent oath to move on as soon as William wakes up again.

It turns out that that takes much longer for me to fulfill my promise than I thought it would take. William sleeps restlessly for roughly thirteen more hours. It is in the dead of night when he does, but I keep my promise.

“Hello William, rise and shine. Its been a week or so since we made camp here, so we really must get going.” I say to him.

“Alright Samuel,” he says obviously fatigued. He stands up, briefly stretches, and packs up his gear. I as well see that he is eager to move on, and pack up camp. In ten minutes, we are on the road, concealed by darkness.

Just as the sun is rising, we arrive in the Warrior Capital. The city is almost the exact opposite of Enhinian, with gleaming, silver, cone-shaped skyscrapers dotting the skyline. Beautiful parks and gardens with extravagantly trimmed bushes and fields surround a low, circular palace with glass roofing. That is our destination. The entire city is perfect, majestic.

As we approach the late King’s palace, I notice a dreadful sight. The front entrance is guarded by two men in black cloaks. The palace, and maybe even the city, is controlled by the Stealth Guild.

When we look around the rest of the city, we discover, and to my relief, that only the palace is guarded and controlled by Darkness. When we are done exploring, we muster up the courage to venture back to the palace. While hiding in some bushes on a ridge overlooking the palace, we make careful note of the guards, who change every hour on the hour, and the air vents leading into the building.

Half an hour later, the guards are changing shifts. Not again, not again. I think, but I know I have to, and I have to shoot fast. I quickly breath, then shoot down the four guards, swiftly, silently, almost gracefully. As soon as the fourth guard falls, Samuel is jumping down the ledge we were hiding on. When Samuel arrives at the palace, he tosses a rope up and into the vent. He pulls, and the vent clatters to the ground. I wince at the sound, and run.

“Quickly now, William!” Samuel says hastily. I climb the rope, which was now securely fastened to the side of the vent, burned by fire magic. Right below me is Samuel, urging me on whenever I look down. We enter the small tunnel, and begin out crawl. When we reach the edge of the lobby, we stop and listen.

“Our invasion plans are complete, except for the Fires. Aside for them, the entire Alliance will be ours within the week.” a gruff voiced man says. I peer through a vent, and what I see takes my breath away. It is all I can do not to jump out and kill. It is a giant army, mustered and ready to fight, presumably to take the Alliance down.

I glance at Samuel, who is looking at a book of fire spells. He looks up, nods, and with a quick, decisive hand motion, the vent explodes outward. I am thrown into the large space, as the remnants of the steel vent rain down on the army. Confused, they turn, but they are unable to do anything because of the confined space. With half the army laying on the floor in bloody pools, I land on the balls of my feet, poised to strike, daggers already in my hands. I am back to my old self, fighting and killing so that I can live, not as a punishment. My daggers fly about, slicing, jabbing. I tear a great line within the ranks of the army, but what Samuel has done on the other side of the room is even more impressive. Standing on what seems to be a broken ankle, he is repeatedly using the explosion spell. Inside a massive crater he stands, while the foot soldiers, who now have the space to fight, pour into the crater, only to be blown up. The wretched bodies at his feet pile up, just as they do at my side.

As I approach an officer, he draws a sword, ready to fight. I too am ready, but as we begin our fight, it seems I am outmatched. He soon disarms me of one of my daggers, giving him a significant advantage, sealing my fate, or so it seems.

Someone who I haven't seen in years swings through the gaping hole in the roof, which I just now noticed was the aftermath of the mighty Samuel. It is Anne, a friend of mine from a training course my father took me to to practice for our only income: hunting. But a year younger than I am, we have trained together for almost two years, until I was ready, and she was not. Though both the officer and I outmatch her in skill, she has the element of suprise. Without even thinking twice, she plunges her sword deep into the officer's skull, pulls it out, and continues to fight other soldiers. Stunned, it takes me a second to realize that he is dead, and I then pick up my other dagger, and fight my way towards the general.

Anne and I fight side to side, until we reach the general, who is barking out orders in the same gruff voice I heard earlier. He spins around, wielding only a decorative sword, but that very weapon is all it takes to give me the biggest shock since I learned of my father's plans. Before I can even blink, he chops at me, I duck away, thinking I am safe. I am right, yet I am wrong. I escape the path of the sword, but the general curves its swing, quickly cutting off Anne's left hand. The girl I knew so well, and practically lived with, is now sprawled out on the palace floor, screaming. I channel my rage, and lunge at the general, but all I can muster is a crippling stab to the knee. He falls, cradling his right knee, but I leave him there, to suffer for the injury of my friend.

I fight for only another half hour, and every few minutes I glance at Anne to make sure that she is still alive. When my rage finally ends, I look around the room, and see that I have just killed the last soldier. Samuel is in the center of the room, tending to his ankle and Anne's hand.

"I assume she has told you who she is, and how she knows me. I am going to scout around for other Stealth Guild members." Samuel nods, and then I take off.

Fortunately, there are only three guards patrolling the rest of the building, and all the rest were gathered for the invasion. I return to find that all is well, despite my growing fear.

While William was gone, the girl who I have come to know as Anne tells me of a hidden road that goes from here straight to our new destination. She also tells me that this was the only place she knows of that there were Stealth members, and if she hears of any more she will take care of them.

When William returns, I tell him of the information I learned. He tells me something I didn't anticipate. This time, he will not be returning with me, because this is where he is stationed as general of the Warrior Army. Eager to set off, I ask Anne to show me the path, which is presumably safe. We have a bit of trouble finding it, because Anne hasn't been there in a while but we do. After a brief farewell with Anne and William, I jumped onto Shadow, and rode down the path.

Anne and I spend the next few days searching the country for Stealth members, but when we don’t find any, I decide to return to my post with the army. I ride down the street, but I am stopped by a man in a black cloak. He draws a dagger, and says in a gruff voice

“I am the mighty Gerem, and I of am Darkness Wizardry. You are going to come with me, or suffer great losses.” I surrender myself, but don’t give up my bow, arrows, or daggers. He points his dagger at me, but I don’t fight him, I know his magic can easily overpower me in this scenario of fighting. Very abruptly, he swings his free arm, making contact with my temple.

I wake up, look around to see I am in a stone room, littered with grass and deer antlers. That’s odd.I think, before slipping back into unconsciousness.