Choice | Teen Ink

Choice

By callieismyname BRONZE, Klamath Falls, Oregon
callieismyname BRONZE, Klamath Falls, Oregon

"Live your life the way you want to, not the way everyone thinks you should." ~unknown

Author's note: I was inspired to write this by Divergent. :) If you would like to read more, just comment :D

:D

IT ALL began ninety-nine years ago, when the Government Officials disagreed with one another. They were divided right down the middle, with even votes. They were under duress, and had no idea what to do. We learn about it every year in school, no matter the age. It can become gruesome, so they tone it down for the younger children. But as you get older, they leave in the gory details, the clever deceptions, the nitty-gritty information that leaves you sitting on the edge of your seat…Well, I’ve never actually liked learning about it all that much. Why do we dwell on the past when we can live in the present? I guess they just don’t want us to forget.

They didn’t involve the citizens, at first. One side wanted to continue with the advancement of technology. They believed that they were making the world a better place, easier, more convenient. But the other side thought we relied on technology too much, and that we were advancing too much, too quickly. They wanted to get rid of most aspects, to go back to a life focused on survival. They thought that if we weren’t trying to survive with certain conditions, then what was the point of living? I don’t know what side I would choose if I were alive then. But for now, I’m stuck where I am.

Once they reached the decision to separate the citizens and Government into two separate worlds, practically, that’s when they began to involve the peoples’ thoughts. Everyone got to decide where they wanted to live—completely opposite societies. But if one side became too populated, they would throw the amount of people needed out so that they were level. They didn’t want any more conflict after they finalized the new situation. Both sets of my great-great-grandparents chose the Cultivation side. That’s how I’m here.

In Cultivation, you must be wholesome and natural. There’s no technology. None. The Government decided that if you didn’t like the technology, then you couldn’t have any. So, that’s what happened. Everyone makes their own clothing, grows their own food, takes care of their family with no one else’s help. They don’t rely on anyone to help. It’s you and your family against the world. Apparently, my ancestors liked this idea. I don’t know if I would’ve agreed with them. But I have no choice. You stay on your side. Wherever you were born, is where you will die. It’s quite simple, but some people don’t like the rules. If someone spots you climbing over the Fence, you’re killed immediately, no question about it. It doesn’t matter if you were just messing around, or were actually trying to get away.

No one has ever tried to escape from Technological.

It makes me curious about what’s so great over there. My curiosity gets the best of me sometimes—at least, that my father always says. I’ve thought about climbing over the fence numerous times, even if it costs me my life. I just want to know. You can barely see the tall buildings from where I live because they try to stay as far away from us as possible. They don’t want us to see what they’re doing. They don’t want us to know. I get it, though. I wouldn’t want to cause more problems with anyone in Cultivation changing their mind—not that they ever really had a choice, because all who did are dead. They’ve been dead.

Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if the great decision to separate everything hadn’t been made. I guess we’ll never know. It’d probably be chaotic, with a bunch of angry people. Life wouldn’t be enjoyable. There would probably be big disagreements, outbursts, rebellions. I look over at my parents as they finish washing our clothes. I wonder what side they would choose if they actually had the choice. Most likely Cultivation—they’re so natural and pure. I can’t envision them living on the other side of the Fence.

I imagine it to be quite harsh over there. Are the people like us? Do they just like technology? I want to believe that’s the case. But from what I hear, they’re rude, and they want what they want when they want it. Of course, those are only rumors, but still. I don’t know what to think. It’s not like I’m never going to know anyway. There’s no way. Even if I made it over the Fence one time, how would I get back? What if Technological killed me? What then? What if they ended up not killing me, and I wanted to come back to Cultivation? How would I do that? I shake my head.

I need to stop making up stories and scenarios in my head. My father was right—I do let my curiosity get the best of me, and it’s not a good thing. I hope one day that I don’t actually act out and hurt—or kill—myself. I just need to stop thinking. It seems like that’s what everyone else does. Some seem like robots, just passing through life. I don’t want to do that…

I sigh and finish hanging up the last piece of clothing upon the clothing line that Mother hands me. I trudge through the sloshy mud, wet from the rain yesterday, to my sister who is playing cards with the young boy from next door. “Hey, Thomas. Hi, Eve,” I say to them as walk by. I point at what card Eve should pick to play next but she looks up and glares at me, letting me know that she can do it herself.

“Hi,” Tom greets as he places a card next to my sisters. “Hah, I beat you! Again!” He laughs as Eve reaches across the table and punches him in the shoulder, playfully.

“Oh, shut up, Tommy! I’ll get you next time. You just wait and see!” I hear her exclaim as I turn away and walk towards the orchard. She shouts, “Tag, you’re it!” Then I’m out of earshot. I run towards the tallest tree and jump as I reach the lowest branch. I swing myself upward, looping one leg around, and then yanking myself up. I lean against the tree and stare at Eve and Thomas chasing each other around the field. I’m glad that my sister isn’t curious. She would want to climb over the fence, no matter the cost—and the fact that she’s eleven would scare me even more. I’m not so sure about Tom. He seems like someone who could get into some trouble in the future. I could see him thriving in Technological.

It can be hard living in Cultivation. We must to hard labor to thrive and live. Most days I have to miss school to help my parents. It’s been tough this year. The crops aren’t growing very well—half the time we’re hungry. It’s a new feeling. Also, since we’re supposed to be independent livers, we can’t receive help from anyone—not even family members such as, cousins, uncles, aunts, grandparents. Does anyone really like living in Cultivation? I sigh and turn around, moving to a branch facing the Fence. I try to spot something, anything, but it’s useless. I stare at the Fence, its uneven bricks and all. What will happen if they need to rebuild the Fence? Who will do it? What will happen? What will we see?

That’s a thought to think about.

“Hey, are you a monkey or something?” someone calls up to me. I look down to see Thomas’s older brother Nathan. He grins and I shake my head. “Then what’re you doing up there?” He laughs and slip down from the branch, catching one last glance at the Fence. “I don’t get what’s so fascinating about the Fence.”

I shrug. “I just want to know what’s on the other side.” I begin to walk back towards my home, and I notice my mother in the kitchen window. “Don’t you? It’s a whole other world over there! Aren’t you the least bit curious as to what it’s like?”

He shakes his head. “Emery, you are one of a kind. I understand your curiosity, but it’s not safe to think like that. Remember my sister?”

“You have a sister?”

He sighs. “Had. She wanted to know, just like you. So, she tried to climb over the Fence and they shot her. I don’t want that to happen to you, okay? Don’t try anything stupid, Emerson. I mean it.” His whole expression changes into something serious and dark.

“Oh, right. I won’t, Nate. I promise. I know what’s allowed and what’s not. I won’t get myself killed like your sister.” I look down at the ground as one of my boots gets stuck in a deep mud puddle. “I just wish we had a choice.” When I look up, I’m surprised to see that he’s gone. I shrug, wondering what I said for only a minute before making my way towards my home. I slip off my boots on the front porch and push open the door. “I’m home!”

“Great, I was just about to call you in for dinner,” Mother says as she steps into the hallway. “I saw you talking to Nathan. He’s a nice boy, isn’t he?” We sit down at the table, where Father and Eve already are. “He left looking a little upset. Did you say something to him, sweetie? Did anything happen?”

I shake my head and look at the mashed potatoes that serves as our meal. “No, I don’t think so. He was just telling me about his sister. Maybe it got him all worked up. How am I supposed to know?” I take a huge spoonful of potatoes and stick it in my mouth, my stomach growling.

“Ah. Well, maybe be extra nice to him, all right? That was a hard time for his family. It probably hurt him to bring it back up.” Mother has a point, but why would he bring it up if it caused pain? Sometimes people don’t make sense.

Father clears his throat and we all look up from our food, consumed by the hunger. “So, I heard that they’re thinking about taking the Fence down.” Mother’s fork clatters to the floor, and Eve’s jaw drops. My heart begins to race. “It needs to be rebuilt. Technological created a new construction that will stay up for more years than it already has. Long after we’re all gone. Our Officials have consulted with them and have scheduled it for December 1.”

“December 1? That doesn’t give us much time to prepare—it’s already November 23. What are we supposed to do? Where are we supposed to go?” Mother asks frantically as if the world’s ending, which it might as well be.

“We’re supposed to stay where we are. Technological has promised to not cause any conflict as long as we stay in our homes and go about our lives.”

“But, Daddy—I mean, Father…” Eve takes a deep breath. “Isn’t it dangerous? What if anyone tries to escape?” Her big blue eyes stare up at my father, and I’m not sure if the fear is from what’s going to happen, or how she disrespected our guardian by calling him ‘Daddy.’

Mother reaches across the table and takes my hand as Father glances over at me and says, “The same rules apply, Eve,” even though I know he’s talking to me.

I avoid his gaze and focus on my dinner. The last thing I need is for my parents to think that I have a death wish. I finish up quickly, my stomach still unsatisfied, and wait for everyone else to be finished so I can leave.

“Tommy beat me in a game of cards again,” Eve announces. “He’s really good. I keep losing to him. Hey, Emerson, what if you taught me how to play better? You told me you used to play cards with Nathan all the time when you were young!”

“Exactly, Eve. I used to. I have better things—more important things to do than play cards with you,” I say.

“Emery…” Mother taps her fingers against the table until I look up to meet her gaze. “Go, teach your sister how to play. All right? Your father and I will clean up the table.” I can tell she wants us out so she can yell in panic about the Fence coming down.

But I want to know about it, too. “No, I want to hear about the Fence, too. I want to know what’s going on. I’m old enough to hear it. So, go ahead. Spit it all out. I want to know—”

“Emerson, you heard your mother. Besides, it’s a school night. You should be in bed,” Father says.

“Oh, come on. I haven’t gone to school in weeks!” I exclaim. “I’ve been helping with the crops. You need me. Come on, guys. All I am is curious to—”

“That’s the problem, Emery! All you ever are is curious! You’re going to get yourself killed! Do you want that, huh? Do you want to be dead? Because if that’s the case, then why don’t you go try to climb over the Fence right now!?” Father yells.

I take a deep, collected breath before pushing myself away from the table. “I’m sorry, I’m such a burden.” I run out of the kitchen and push the front door open, slamming it shut behind me. I hear screaming and yelling inside. They think I’m going to get myself killed… I stop moving and look back over my shoulder. I can’t let them think that. I whirl around and race back towards the front door just as it opens and Mother welcomes me into her arms. “I’m sorry.” She strokes my hair and shushes me. “Mother, I just think I’m old enough to know.” I take a step back and she wipes my tears, shaking her head. I push her arms away, defeat overtaking my whole body. “I’m going to bed.”

“Goodnight,” Mother says quietly. “I love you.”

Little Evie slips her hand into mine. “I think you’re old enough, Em. If I were Mom—Mother and Father, I would let you listen. I don’t think it’s fair that they keep things from us. But I’m just glad that we know when the Fence is coming down so we can prepare.” I nod and squeeze her hand tightly before we separate and go to our own rooms. “Goodnight, Emery!”

“Night, Eve.” I shut my door and slump into bed, my eyes suddenly becoming heavy. I pull my blanket up to my chin and close my eyes.

NEXT thing I know, birds are chirping outside and the sun is streaming through my blinds. I sit up and rub the grogginess from my eyes. I yawn and stretch my arms. I lean over and pick up my watch. It’s 7:47. I decide that I don’t want to stay home today. I want to stay as far away as possible from my parents. And right now, that place is school. I yank off my blankets and throw on a pair of jeans, a red t-shirt, and my combat boots. I run a comb through my waves before knocking on Eve’s door to see if she would like to go. I look down at the watch upon my wrists. 7:53. Seven minutes. “Evie, you coming to school?” I call through the door.

She coughs. “No, you go. I’m not feeling well today, Emery.”

I frown. “All right. Feel better, Eve! Love you!” I head down the hallway and I hear her muffled “I love you, too.” I head out front, passing by the kitchen, which my stomach grumbles. I throw the thought of food out of my head. I hurry through our large field to reach the road, where Nathan sits on a useless bench that was once used a bus stop—or so we learned in class. “Nate,” I say, glancing back towards my house.

“Oh, hey.” He looks up at me and grins. But then he fumbles with his pack—like the one I left at home. Oops. “Uh, here.” He stands up and hands me a sandwich. “I know it’s not necessarily breakfast food, but it’s all we really had that my parents would notice gone.”

“Are you crazy?” I push it away. “That’s not allowed.”

He shakes his head at me and laughs lightly. “I know, Emerson. But this is called be nice. Please, just take it. I bet you’re starving.”

My stomach jumps at the thought of a nice turkey sandwich, but I shouldn’t eat. “I—okay.” I take it. “I’ll be right back. I forgot my backpack in the house. I sprint back to my home. I open the door, snatching my backpack off the hook. I spot a sick-looking Eve sitting at the kitchen table with no food in front of her. “Evie!” I throw the bag at her and she catches, a pure look of delight on her face. “Love ya!” I don’t have time to hear what she says as I run to Nathan. “Let’s go,” I say. “We’re late.”

Nathan smiles at me and I return it. “Emery, where’s the sandwich?”

“Uh…it’s in my backpack,” I say sheepishly.

“You’re a terrible liar.”

“Fine,” I admit, “I gave to Eve.” He grins and throws an arm around my shoulder. “What?” I ask.

“I knew it,” he laughs, and nods forward. “C’mon—like you said—we’re late!” And we take off running.

We reach school in a matter of minutes at 8:09. It’s a small school, grades kindergarten through twelfth. It’s only made for three small neighborhoods. Mine, and two others that I’ve never been to. “Hey, I’ll see you later,” I say to Nathan as we enter our opposite classrooms. He winks at me and I smile. I slide into the classroom.

“Well, well, well…Miss Alexander, it’s nice of us you to join us,” Mrs. Casting says as I hurry to my desk. “Anyways, as I was saying—”

“Mrs. Casting, can we talk about the Fence coming down?” a girl in my class, Jeanette, asks and everyone mumbles and mutters in agreement. “None of our parents will tell us anything. It’s your job to teach us, so teach us about current politics.”

“Jeanette, this is math class—” She tries to avoid speaking of it. And I don’t blame her, it could get her into trouble—but I want to know. She takes a deep breath. “Fine. The Fence is on the brink of falling over. We’re trying to prevent that from happening, so we’re taking it down to reconstruct it into a better structure so that will be still be up for as many years as is needed. And no, I’m not saying that I think we won’t need it one day. It’s just a wish of mine. No, we don’t know what’s going to happen while it’s down. But all the same rules will be enforced. Technological will be rebuilding it, so we in Cultivation will continue with our normal lives. Don’t pay any attention to what they’re doing, you hear? It could cost you your life. We don’t know how they will act, except that they aren’t so fond of us and we them.”

“Why is our world so complicated?” a boy, Hayden, asks. He shakes his head as if he doesn’t expect an answer, but I give it to him.

“That’s just the way it has to be.”

Here's more :) Chapter 3 is on its way!

Chapter Two
“MORNING, Eve,” I greet as I step into the kitchen. I sit across from here at the table. “Are you feeling any better?” She shakes her head and I take her small, cold hand in mine. “Why don’t you head back to bed, all right? I’ll check on you when I get back from school…Hey, have Mother and Father been taking care of you at all?”

She shakes her head again. “No, they’ve been working in the fields. I told them it’s okay.” She nods to reassure me.

“Okay…love ya.” I give her a quick squeeze before hurrying out the door with my pack on my back. I spot Nathan waiting for me again, like he has the past two days, today being the third. “Hey, Nate,” I greet.

“Hey, Em. I have another sandwich—is lil’ Eve feeling okay?” he asks caringly, handing me a ham sandwich. I thank him, shaking my head. “I’m sorry…I wonder what’s wrong. It’s probably just a bug.”

“Yeah, I’m sure that’s what it is. I just hate seeing her all sick. I hope I’m not next,” I respond. We begin to walk side by side on the pot-holed asphalt. “Do you ever wonder?” I ask him, even though his whole sister situation. I look up at his profile and wait for an answer.

He looks down at me sadly. “So, so much. And I hate it.”

I sigh and silence myself, even though I’m itching to ask more and more questions. Would you ever climb the Fence? What do you wonder? What do you think is over there? I need to learn to shut up; I run my mouth and make people upset. So, I just walk. I watch the ground as if it’s moving under my feet. I cross my arms, pulling my green army jacket tight around my body, a cold wind breaking through the fabric. It pushes my hair back, and it’s cold on my face. I shiver and an arm suddenly wraps around my shoulder.

I don’t need to look up to know that it’s Nathan. We walk like that until we get to school, then we break away. I catch his smile as he heads into Mr. Walsh’s room. “See you at lunch?” he asks.

I nod and close Mrs. Casting’s door behind me.
By fifth period, I’m beat and bored. I make my way towards the cafeteria, when someone jumps into pace beside me. I look to my left to see who it is. I don’t think I know her. She’s small, with wild blonde hair, curls sticking out in every which way. “Hey, Emerson. I’m Vera,” she says. Vera? How…unique.
“Hi. I would tell you my name, but it seems you already know it,” I say.

She laughs. “Yeah. Well, today’s my first day. I just moved from…I mean, I was homeschooled,” she explains. “Sorry to bug you; I just thought that you looked like a nice person.” She glances down the floor, looking at my boots.

Confused, I want to move my feet by walking away, or call her out, but I just ignore it. “Oh, well…it’s okay. You’re not bugging me,” I lie. “Umm…what’s your schedule?” I ask, trying to make small talk. She pulls it out of her pocket and hands it to me. “We have sixth and seventh period together,” I notice.

“Cool!” She grins excitedly. “I—this might be weird, but…can I sit with you at lunch? I haven’t made any friends, and I’m sure you have your own, but…”

I want to say no, but I don’t. “Yeah, come on. I’m supposed to meet my friend Nathan, but you can sit with us.” She smiles and I gesture for her to follow as we reach the lunchroom doors where Nate waits. He smiles at me and I can’t help but return it.
Vera leans towards me, and I bend my knees a little to hear her. “He’s not your boyfriend, is he?” she inquires.
I laugh lightly. “No, no he’s not. Just a good friend,” I whisper back.
She makes a humph sound before bounding towards him with an outstretched hand for him to shake. “Hi, I’m Vera! Emerson told me you’re Nathan, correct?” Nathan barely nods before she continues. “It’s nice to meet you. Em said that I could sit with you guys. Nice of her to do that...” Since when did I tell her she could call me Em? We just met—we’re definitely not on a nickname level yet.
Nate looks at me over Vera’s head as she continues to babble on and on. I shrug and we head inside. I sit down at the table—the school doesn’t provide food. They think it’s enough that we have teachers to teach us. Nathan pulls out an apple and sets it front of him, along with a turkey sandwich. As Vera shuffles in her own bag for her own lunch, Nathan quickly rolls the apple across the table. He smiles at me slightly. I take it, mouthing a very much-needed thank you.

Vera takes out various fruits and vegetables. Her family must have a successful orchard and garden, unlike my family’s. She bites into her pear and my mouth waters. I remember I have an apple, so I dig into it.

“Hey, Emerson, why do you only have an apple?” She laughs. “Wait, I should’ve guessed. I mean, look at how skinny you are. I bet if you pulled up your shirt we could count your ribs!” She giggles even though both Nate and I don’t think it was funny and I hold my arms in my lap. “Sorry, but it’s probably true.” She grins and throws the remainder of her pair into the garbage can, only two bites taken out of it. “Oh my goodness…I’m so stupid. I should’ve given that to you. Sorry!”

I shake my head. “No, it’s fine.” My stomach grumbles and I hope that no one heard it. “So, Vera…why’d you come here instead of continuing homeschool? My parents would homeschool me, but they have to work in the fields.”

She shrugs. “It was time for a change. I had no friends, either. I don’t even have any siblings. So, it was pretty boring.” She chomps on a cucumber. “Yeah, so that’s it. What about you, Mr. Nathan? Why don’t you do homeschool?”

“Uh, same as Emery. My parents aren’t able to, especially with my seven other brothers and sisters,” he states. Vera whistles and I have to bite my tongue to not say anything. Nathan looks at me, his eyes saying: Who is she and why is she talking to us?

I shake my head, shrugging. I finish my apple and get up to throw the core into the trash. When I return, Vera has her hands on Nathan’s arm and she laughing, her head tipped back dramatically. She is quite pretty. I probably would’ve noticed earlier if she wasn’t so ridiculously obnoxious. I sigh and sit back across from Nate. He looks at me, but speaks to Vera. “Hey, Vera, we have to go…” He turns to her. “Emery’s sister is sick and we have to go take care of her.” I nod for emphasis. “We just need to go check on her, right, Em?”

I nod. “Yeah, she’s at home, puking with a horrible fever.”

Vera frowns. “Well, it’s your sister, isn’t it Emerson? Nathan doesn’t have to go…?” She grabs onto Nathan’s hand as if she’s his after meeting him a mere twenty minutes ago. She looks up at him expectantly.

“Yes, I do.” He slips his hands from Vera’s and stands next to me. “All right, we’ll see you later, Vera,” he says. He waves goodbye to her and we rush out the cafeteria. “Um, she’s an odd one. She just came up to you?”

I laugh, nodding. “Yeah…She knew my name, which I thought was weird.”

“And her name?” he says. “I’ve never heard of it before. I don’t know why, but it seems like something someone would name their child from Technological, don’t you think? It’s…” He pauses, searching for the correct word, “…futuristic. I mean, I guess your name isn’t as popular…”

“Are you kidding me? There’s three other Emersons at our school!” I laugh as we walk, a light rain descending.

His mouth creates a small O. “Oh, right,” he says. He laughs. “But two of them are in elementary school. How old is the third? Junior High, I guess.” He answers his question. “Anyway, I kind of feel bad for that Vera girl. I think she just wanted some friends.”

I shrug, sighing. “Don’t worry. I’m sure she’ll make some. It’s her first day…I really do need to check on Eve. She really hasn’t been feeling well,” I say, changing the topic. “I think I’ll stay home with her the next few days. But, I won’t be going to school when the wall is down or during construction.”

“Yeah, me neither. My parents are really are totally calm, but my sisters are freaking out.” He chuckles. “What about your parents? Wait, let me guess—your mother totally lost her cool, but your dad thinks it’s going to be all right.”

I nod. “You guessed it! How do you feel about it?”

“Scared.”

“Why?”

“I don’t want you to get yourself killed.”

I open my mouth to say something, but I camp it shut. There’s nothing to say. Everyone thinks I’m going to probably die. Do they really think I’m that stupid? Sure, I’m curious…But I’m not going to risk my life to find out what’s on the other side. I’m almost positive that I won’t. I take a deep breath. But is that enough?

No.

I push open my front door, Nate right behind me. “Evie, I’m home,” I call out, but there’s no answer. I set my bag and coat on the hook and smooth my damp hair. I wave for Nathan to follow as I walk down the hallway towards Eve’s room. “Eve?” I knock on her door and it opens on its own. I hurry to Eve’s bedside and take her small hand in mine. “Hey, sis. How are you?” I rub her cold hands, trying to warm them.

“Not good, Emery.” She coughs. “I don’t feel good.” She coughs again, but this time it’s harder.

“Ssh, I know, Evie. I know.” I look back at Nathan and he looks worried. “Nate, can you please find my parents? This isn’t just a bug.”

He nods and rushes out the room. I turn back to Eve and she’s crying. “It hurts, Emerson. It hurts.” Sweat trickles down the side of her face, mixing with the tears. “What’s wrong with me? What’s happened?”

“Nothing. Nothing is wrong with you. You’re just sick. It’s going to be okay—it’s not a big deal.” I nod encouragingly. “Let’s lay here and rest, okay? Scoot on over.” I slip into bed next to her and let her rest her head on my shoulder. She’s cold, even though my t-shirt. But she’s sweating. But then she’s freezing. “Evie, can you tell me what hurts?” I ask her gently.

“My tummy,” she pouts, wiping a tear from her pale cheek. “And my toes. My toes hurt.” She sobs and clutches onto my arm. Her toes? Why would her toes hurt? I sit forward and carefully lift up the blanket. I softly peel off her socks and bite my tongue to hold back a scream. Her toes are as black as can be, retreating into an ashen gray that moves onto her ankles, and then it’s pale skin from there. “What’s wrong?” she cries.

I shake my head, holding back tears. “Nothing.” I look down to catch my breath. I lie the blanket back over her legs, shaking. I force a smile that I can already tell is unbelievable. “I’ll be right back, Eve. I’m just going to go find Mother and Father.”

“Mommy and Daddy?” she whimpers.

I nod. “Yes, Mommy and Daddy.”

I STARE down at her sleeping face as Mother and Father talk outside her bedroom door—well, more like yell. Nathan stands off, and I’m guessing he probably feeling like he’s invading our privacy or something. I guess correctly.

“Hey, maybe I should go…? It’s just—I feel like you guys need to be alone. As a family,” he says, his hands in jeans pockets. She takes a few steps towards me to say goodbye, but I say shake my head no.

“No, please stay. I really need your support right now.” I face him. “I know that’s not necessarily allowed, but I need you here, Nathan. I don’t know what’s going on, or what’s happening and I’m scared.” Tears begin to slip down my hot cheeks. “I’m scared and I don’t know what to do.” I barely have time to comprehend what’s going on before Nathan’s arms wrap around my shoulders. I feel safer, and I cry into his shoulder. But his arms are gone are soon as they appeared as my parents burst into the room.

I swipe away my tears. Nathan steps back into the shadows again. Mother grabs my hand. “Come along, honey. Let’s step out of the room.” I can tell it’s hard for her to say. “Your father has assured me that Eve is fine.” I follow her reluctantly. “Rest, okay? Or, how about you go out with Nathan? Get out of here for a while.” She uses her sleeve to wipe away my leftover tears. “You need it.”

I nod and sniffle. “Okay. I’ll take a walk and clear my head.” I glance over at Nathan and gesture for him to follow me down the hall. “Hey,” I sigh as we head out the front door. “My mother told me she’ll be okay.”

He smiles. “Wow, really? That’s great!” He lightly elbows me in the shoulder. “See? Everything works out the way it’s supposed to.”

I furrow my brows. “Do you really believe that?” We walk down the long dirt path, the cold evening air a relief. He takes a deep breath next to me and shrugs. “Yeah, me neither,” I say.

He looks down at me and laughs. He stops and stares back over my shoulder towards his home, lit by a few candles in the window. “You should take care of Eve. You never know when someone’s going to leave you forever.” His head drops.

“I’m so sorry about your sister, Nathan. I—I’m sorry I don’t remember her,” I admit. Why don’t I? How long ago was it?

“You probably just mixed her up with all my other siblings. It’s all right. We were only seven.” He smiles at me lightly; a boyish smile that makes a weird sensation in my stomach. Butterflies…Oh no.

“Yeah, you’re probably right.” I feel my face getting hot and I hope he thinks it’s because of the wind. I glance towards the Fence. “The Fence comes down in six days.”

“Yep,” is all he says.

on Jun. 25 2015 at 1:24 pm

@Izzy777 Thanks so much! I really appreciate the feedback :) There IS more to the story, I just have to write some more and edit then I'll update it:) I'm really glad you liked it!!! ~thanks for reading!!

on Jun. 25 2015 at 1:22 pm

@Emily2k I'm planning on it! :) Thanks for reading! xx

Izzy777 SILVER said...
on Jun. 24 2015 at 10:33 pm
Izzy777 SILVER, Tampa, Florida

"I always wonder why birds stay in one place when they can fly anywhere around the world. But then I ask myself the same question."

This was absolutely captivating!! VERY clear and very detailed. never got lost not once and you kept me very interested. I'm really excited for new stuff that you will post! IS THERE MORE TO THE STORY? o:

Emily2k said...
on Jun. 24 2015 at 6:40 pm
Emily2k, Glasgow, Other

they didn't agree on much. in fact they didn't agree on anything. They fought all the time and challenged each other everyday. But despite their differences, they had one important thing in common. They were crazy about each other.

ahhh amazing ! should post new stuff x

on Apr. 27 2014 at 1:05 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it! No, there's more on the way! :D Sure, I'll check out your writings!

on Apr. 23 2014 at 9:32 am
Demoderby PLATINUM, Pontiac, Illinois

All that we see or dream is but a dream within a dream
-Edgar Allen Poe

I really enjoyed this. Will there be more to it or is that the whole thing, because if it is I'm hoping to read it all the way through. Oh, and please check out some of my stuff. I know I ain't that good, but I sure as heck would love to know what y'all think of my stuff. Comment and/or rate, I have poems, a few songs, stories, a book, and one picture.