To Journey's End | Teen Ink

To Journey's End

February 5, 2014
By Laurenn_23, Smyrna, Delaware
More by this author
Laurenn_23, Smyrna, Delaware
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"The moment you doubt whether you can fly you cease forever to be able to do it"-J.M Barrie


Author's note: I really love fantasy and my friends gave me this idea. I found a piece I wrote in the 5th grade and decided to go off of that. I hope that this book serves as inspiration and motivation to anyone who reads it.

The author's comments:
The beginning starts with Machiko in deterntion, she is a very isolated character but she is caring towards her sisters.

Her hair was dark and thick, and her eyes were a never ending sea of blue. Mayumi stood slouched, arms on her hips. Mayumi stood still as she gazed deeply into her teacher’s eyes, hoping to form intimidation. She wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. So far her effort was pointless. The woman planted deep into a chair cushion.

“ It seems you got into a fight with another student."

Her voice was stern and made Mayumi quiver with disgust. Mayumi may have been the kind of person people would run away from, but she was good at judging. She could tell what kind of person stood before her just by looking them in the eye. Mayumi grinned at her teacher’s words. In a battle Mayumi was the king, and she always won an argument.

Mayumi always chose her words carefully as if she was constantly being tested. Yet she decided to say nothing for she felt it better to kill her teacher with silence than words.

The woman folded her hands on her desk with a strong grip.

The golden strands on Ms.Yuki's arms stood up, producing goose bumps. Mayumi didn’t mind that no one liked her. She never really had that many friends. What was another person who didn’t like her? She could live through worse.

"Ripping her hair and scratching her arm will not be tolerated!" Ms. Yuki yelled.

Mayumi titled her head down to look at her fingers. Her cuticles were painted with dried blood and she frowned. Ms. Yuki did not see it, but Mayumi was full of sadness.
She was walking down the hallway as others stared her down, ready to spit at her if they were given the chance. Everyone moved out of her way. Until skinny legs, rounded cheeks and brown hair stood in front of her. Mayumi slowed down and she stopped directly in front of Asuna Toichi. Mayumi looked at her with both surprise and annoyance. Asuna lifted her hand and placed it on Mayumi's shoulder. Mayumi was taken aback by this. Mayumi knew what she wanted to do, well aware that she would have to pay for it later. In that moment Mayumi reached for Asuna's hair and pulled it. No one touches her except her family. She wasn't property. Asuna's hair was being separated from her scalp, and her eyes grew wide with hot tears as she screamed in agony.

Mayumi twitched as she said "Next time, get out of my way."

She began to depart the scene, continuing on as if nothing had happened. Then Mayumi's head hit the body of marble flooring. Asuna tripped her. As adrenaline took over Mayumi paid little attention to the pain she was in and no attention to her bleeding left ear. Hands out stretched in front of her Mayumi turned and clawed Asuna's arm. The deed was irreversible but Mayumi could still recall the event in her mind. She could reenact the rush and the pain it caused her. She didn't want to hurt anyone but no one liked her anyway.

Hidden under her unapproachable face Mayumi was smart. Mayumi held back a lot of her strength but used enough. When it comes to scratching her Mayumi could have scratched her on the face yet chose the arm. Mayumi knew that the body could only feel one pain at a time so her actions would have been less painful then having Asuna deal with her abusive boyfriend every day. Asuna was in the hospital because she needed to be. If Mayumi had not scratched her no one would have found the bruises and burn marks on Asuna's arm. She would have never got the medical attention she needed. Her pain would give her realization.
Mayumi remained silent. It wasn't like her to admit she hurt someone for their sake. Plus that would sound just crazy. When Mayumi whisked out of her own personal bubble she noticed Ms.Yuki heading toward the door. Mayumi's mind was singing with joy. With Ms.Yuki gone she could easily slip out of detention, unnoticed and unwanted.

"I'm going to the principal's office for a moment. Please stay here or else."

Ms.Yuki's slender silhouette disappeared into the hallway and Mayumi immediately burst into action. Her mind raced with ideas. Suddenly, she became overwhelmed as if she was fighting against herself. At times it did things without her intention. She couldn't leave out of the classroom door; that would be too obvious, making her easy bait for any nearby teacher. Then the gentle breeze tapped on her shoulder. She turned and looked out the window. Leaving out the window was an idea. Her chances of getting caught were slim, but so were her chances of surviving. She didn't have time to contemplate the risk. Mayumi burst out the window, hoping for something to catch her. She closed her eyes enough to where she did not know what fate had in store for her. To her surprise Mayumi felt her body crash into the familiar leather seat of her sister's car.
Machiko turned and glared at her sister. Was she nuts? Well....she must be since she just jumped out of the two-story school window.

"You're lucky I was here at the right time!" Machiko raised her voice but tried to keep it calm because her younger sister Koemi was singing happily.

Machiko's brown curls entwined on the side of her head as her white doctor's coat overlapped the seat. She smiled, just happy her sister was okay, but if she ever tried anything like that again instead of a smile it would be a foot up her ass. Mayumi titled her head to the side and sneakily winked. She looked like she was up to something but instead it was the complete opposite.

"I knew you would be here," Mayumi's voice was different.

It must've been the fact that she could've died if it wasn't for Machiko's lucky hunch but deep in her voice was gratitude. Koemi placed her hand over her mouth trying not to burst out laughing. Nothing was funny but seeing her sister's act like this always made her happy. Their connection was strange. Machiko turned forward, her body plopping back into the driver's seat.

"Let's go home."

Machiko quickly began to swerve and maneuver through the parking lot. Their parents were coming home today and all three girls were excited. Secretly Machiko was extatic to see her mother. It's been months since they've seen their parents. To her mother Machiko was an open book. At times never shutting up about how she helped another patient, hung out with her friends at a boss’s party or seen the same cute boy at the coffee shop. Machiko loved to tell her sisters things but she knew it wasn't the same as telling her mother. Mayumi could care less about her doctor work and Koemi would ask too many questions then complain that dinner wasn't cooked yet. Mayumi gazed out at the scenery. Trees passed by quickly, yellow, green, and orange leaves flushed together making it seem like fire.
The car was quiet but there was no awkward silence.

They headed closer and closer toward their house but something felt off. An eerie vibe swept through the air, alerting the girls that something was wrong. They jumped out of the car awaiting their mother's subtle smile and their father's gentle gaze. They ignored the obvious signs of distress too overcome with happiness.

Machiko placed her hand on the door, quickly swinging it open. Koemi and Mayumi entered right behind her but stopped in their tracks. Their eyes flooded with red; the walls, the stairs and the floor were covered in fresh blood. It was splattered carelessly all around. They stood there in shock, motionless. Their minds went blank. Mayumi turned to Koemi with her hand out trying to cover her eyes but it was too late. Koemi already fainted. Machiko’s hands trembled in fear as she began to run upstairs to her parents' bedroom. Mayumi collected herself and picked up Koemi, holding her carefully as she slowly walked upstairs, mentally preparing herself for what horror awaited her.

Before Mayumi made it to the master bedroom she heard it: Machiko's scream. A scream of pain. Machiko's scream echoed through the house, only soon to be filled with her quiet sob. Mayumi stopped walking and turned back around to Koemi's bedroom. She could not take the risk of having Koemi wake up and see what her sister had. She placed Koemi in bed and draped a warm blanket over her. Mayumi turned and walked back down the hallway toward Machiko. The house was dark but reeked of death, and the smell of rotting bodies. A trail of blood led Mayumi down to the bedroom where Machiko was curled down on her knees in front of their dead parents.

Mayumi began to feel her heart crush; it had been stepped on, tortured, stabbed and thrown away. Mayumi walked forward and placed her hand lovingly on her sister’s shoulder as she joined her in the kneeling position. Mayumi’s heart began to freeze over. At that moment, while watching her sister shed a tsunami of tears, Mayumi shed a tear. As they gazed upon their parent’s dead corpses, nailed mercilessly to the wall, for the first time Mayumi had cried. She didn’t care how weak she looked. Their parent’s bodies looked as if they were melting from a pool of lava. Their faces had been nearly scraped off. Unrecognizable was their mother’s once beautiful skin, now dyed red and canvassed with cuts. Their father did not have his arms.
Mayumi dried her tears as she said “Evil will receive its punishment.”
Machiko heard anger in Mayumi’s voice but did not look up. Whoever murdered their parents must be killed. Mayumi would get revenge; a life for a life. Machiko stayed on the ground, her head slanted with her eyes dazed and blank. Mayumi lifted off her knees and walked over to father’s arms. In between her father’s masculine remnants smeared with dripping blood was a symbol. It stood out like an open flame, strangely majestic in its own way. Mayumi became mesmerized as she felt herself being pulled.
For a moment she felt as if she was standing on thin air, being drawn towards the wall. She squinted as she read the small carving placed inside of the symbol, surrounded by a black serpent.
“Tamashi.”
The words rolled off her tongue as she gained the feeling that something would happen, but after standing there for a moment nothing did. The dark coal coat of the serpent, delicately drawn disappeared. Mayumi turned but just as she reached to get her sister, her body was pulled back.
Mayumi felt like a piece of dust, sucked in by a vacuum. Her face stared forward as her parent’s bedroom became a distant speck and black twisted into a strange light. Soon in front of her Mayumi could see her father.
He gazed at the knife in his hand. Mayumi’s eyes grew in terror; her body began to violently tremble. What was he doing? Her father gripped the hilt of the knife firmly as he turned in Mayumi’s direction and pointed it directly at her. He began to walk towards her. His steady pace became a violent drag of his feet. He looked in pain and struggled, but he continued.
“What are you doing? Father!” Mayumi called out.
Water formed on the sides of Mayumi’s eyes, falling, and falling. She was unsure to believe if this was reality or a dream. Her father was dead. So how is he right in front of her? She knew his face, his high cheekbones and the curve of his lips. This was her father. He stood fiercely in front of her. His knife’s sharp, reflective blade was ready for the taste of blood. Mayumi tried to step back but she was being held in place and could not move.
The knife’s glare was taunting as she stopped fearing and stood her ground. Her father lunged forward but something stopped him. Blood started gushing out of his chest as a dagger eroded from inside of him. In one quick second with one weapon he was hit. He stepped back as both of his hands grabbed the knife. He tried to pull it out, but he was too weak. He began to drown in his own blood; the endless pool would not stop. Who did this? Who stabbed him? Mayumi could not see the man’s face. She let her father’s murder slip right out the palm of her hand. Mayumi tried hard to run and embrace her father. She took one final look at her father as he fell to his knees, eyes wide open with sadness, before she was returned back.
She was back inside the house looking at her parent’s empty bedroom. Her mother’s favorite vase stood untouched near their nightstand but their bodies continued to hand like frames on the wall. Mayumi looked around the room wondering where Machiko had gone. Mayumi tried to leave her emotions as her face turned to its usual sternness. She turned to leave the room but noticed a tiny figure standing in the doorway. Mayumi’s eyes grew wide. How would she be so stupid?
“Mayumi, what are you doing in mommy’s room?”
Koemi’s sweet voice took over and Mayumi was caught. She did not know what to do except blame herself.
Koemi stood silent, grasping her teddy bear tightly, almost suffocating it to death. Koemi’s eyes were droopy, still half asleep. The room was dark. When she reached to turn the light switch on Mayumi sprinted toward her. She would not let Koemi carry the pain with her through the rest of her life.
“Mommy’s sleeping, what do you say we go to sleep?” Mayumi whispered.
Koemi heard Mayumi’s voice shake like a static radio; something was wrong. Koemi did not ask any questions, but slowly reached up her arms wanting Mayumi to carry her.
Mayumi smiled as she said “Aren’t you big enough to walk?”
Koemi pouted and Mayumi felt her heart sink. Koemi’s eyes swam with innocence as her blonde pigtails danced past her knees, gripped by blue ribbons. Mayumi planted her hands under Koemi’s arms as she lifted her up into her arms. Koemi planted her head on Mayumi’s shoulder. Koemi was dozing off but a thought struck her. What was Mayumi so nervous about? As Mayumi carried Koemi out of the abandoned room, Koemi sprouted up. She reached her arm out and flipped the light switch on. Mayumi felt Koemi move but ignored it. Whenever she slept next to Koemi, Mayumi would always somehow end up on the floor. The room blazed with light. The darkness of the room disappeared but the horror remained. Koemi’s head began to pound as she slowly put the pieces together. Blood was everywhere, and it was then she noticed blood on Mayumi’s back. Hanging on the wall were her parents. Koemi began to kick and scream, trying to escape Mayumi’s grip so she could run to her mother. Mayumi’s mind registered the actions as she turned around and tightened her grip on Koemi. Mayumi began to let Koemi down but she would not let her go. Koemi’s screams grew louder as tears rolled down her cheeks and soon she was violently coughing. Koemi began to cough and huff for breath. Her tears wouldn’t stop. Machiko ran into the room. She looked at Mayumi then Koemi.
“S***,” Mayumi whispered to herself because that was the only word that seemed to come out.
Koemi faced the floor. Machiko could see Koemi’s legs start to tremble. Koemi flung her head up causing her hair to whip violently back. Her tiny body sprinted forward with arms extended toward the wall. Koemi walked straight up to their mother’s body and wrapped her arms around their mother’s leg. Koemi sobbed silently for a moment. It was always natural for Koemi to smile but this time she did not.
“Mommy?”
Koemi closed her eyes as she waited for an answer that would never come.
Machiko gazed at Koemi. She proceeded gracefully forward to show she was strong for her sisters. Machiko gently patted Koemi’s head as she kneeled down. They could hear Mayumi’s heavy steps advancing toward them as she joined them on the floor.
“Mom, dad, you have left us alone and without a clue of what to do, but thank you. Thank you for protecting us and leaving me with the two people who mean a lot to me.”
Machiko’s words pierced their hearts but left a sense of warmth.
Mayumi spoke next. She sighed as she spoke remembering what she had just seen.
“Machiko basically summed it up,” she paused for a moment. She wasn’t sure how to say how she felt but she let her words slip out.
“Uhh… I will continue on strong without you but I will always remember and fight for you.” Mayumi said.
“I don’t know what to do. Are you in heaven now? Is grandma there too? Koemi asked.
Suddenly Koemi began to cry once again.
“Thanks for taking care of me and Machiko and Mayumi. Thanks for doing my hair and packing my bento when Machiko didn’t want to. Thanks for tucking me in when Mayumi wasn’t home yet.” Koemi said as she faced her mother.
The three girls let each other’s words sink in. Koemi turned toward Mayumi reaching her arms up once again. Mayumi nodded. She carried Koemi to her bedroom. In the back of her mind Mayumi knew this was not the end.
Mayumi tucked Koemi in bed once again, turning on her nightlight so there would be some brightness in the room. Mayumi walked towards Machiko’s room. The wooden floor of the house slowly creaked as she approached Machiko’s door. To her surprise the door was wide open. Machiko was always one for privacy, keeping her door shut at all times as she read, studied or talked on the phone. Mayumi peeked into the room, feeling like she was a peeping tom. Machiko sat near her window, peering out at the dark sky as she started to sing. Her voice was beautiful as it carried the song’s sweet melody like the wind carries leaves. Mayumi stayed outside of the door. Mayumi placed her back on the wall as she slid down to the floor, her ears open as she listened.
“Furui arubamu mekuri
Arigatou tte tsubuyaita
Itsumo itsumo mune no naka
Hagemashite kureru hito yo
Hare wataru hi mo ame no hi mo
Ukabu ano egao
Omoide tooku asete mo
Omokage sagashite
Yomigaeru hi wa nada sousou”
Machiko sang passionately. Mayumi could feel the emotion pouring out of her words, reminding her of when their mother sang to them when their grandmother died. Machiko finished her song and turned toward the door.
“Enjoy it now you little sneak, you won’t be hearing that again.”
Mayumi lifted herself off the floor before entering Machiko’s room. Machiko stayed seated at the window. The moon finally popped out of hiding and its light made her green eyes shine like rare emeralds.
“What are we going to do now?” Machiko sighed.
Mayumi slowly walked toward her and sat on her bed. She sat there for a moment thinking of what to say or what they could do. She waved her hands across the soft sheets.
“I don’t know. We have to bury them,” Mayumi said as she stopped moving her hands and planted them behind her back to keep herself upright.
“Yeah we need to do that, but I mean where do we go from here? I’m not sure if I’ll be able to support all of us with just my job. Can we stay in this house?” Machiko’s voice decressendoed as she closed her emerald eyes.
“Maybe we should just sleep and see where the morning takes us.” Mayumi said.
Mayumi got off the bed although she felt tired and wanted to stay acquainted with the soft sheets.
She walked up to Machiko as she softly whispered “Whatever we do, it’ll be together.”
Mayumi turned, not even looking back to see Machiko’s reaction, but as she left she could hear Machiko’s voice echo “Goodnight.”
Mayumi tossed violently in her sleep as visions of her parents popped into her head. Her palms were sweaty and her legs felt numb. A sudden shot of adrenaline hit her when she heard the slight patter of footsteps. Mayumi jolted up and slowly, slowly got out of the bed, tip toeing out into the hallway. She first went to Koemi’s room, only a short distance away. She would not let anything happen this time. Whatever was going on, she would be in control this time. Mayumi snuck into Koemi’s room. She gently slid her hands under Koemi’s back so she could lift her. Koemi stirred from Mayumi’s touch, wiggling side to side. Koemi opened her eyes, tiredly.
“Mayumi, what’s going on?”
Mayumi stroked her hair while rocking her.
“Shhhh… it’s fine,” Mayumi assured her in a hush tone.
Koemi stayed quiet as she plopped her head on Mayumi’s shoulder. She carried her like a doll out of the room and into their parent’s bedroom. There they found Machiko standing in front of their father’s arms, staring at the symbol on the wall. She must’ve been sleep walking again, which she tended to do when she was really stressed out or excited about something.
“Machiko, your room is this way.”
Mayumi tried to talk to her sister because it usually worked, but this time Machiko continued to stare at the symbol, eyes wide open. Mayumi, still embracing Koemi in her arms walked so she was standing next to Machiko. Koemi lifted her head and looked at the wall, curious as to what was grabbing her sister’s attention.
“Tamashi” Koemi read.
Mayumi stood still, that word, that’s what she said before….
The serpent on the symbol began to spin. It spun rapidly, mixing the symbol of red into what looked like a giant blob. Mayumi knew what was coming, so she held Koemi closer and placed her hand around Machiko’s arm. Koemi watched as their parent’s room disappeared and a sea of black turned into the dark blue sky, a corn field and the smell of bamboo. Machiko could feel hard grass touching her bare feet. Their surroundings were different. They were in a corn field that seemed to expand on over the horizon. Where were they? After Mayumi placed Koemi down she looked around and was surprised. Koemi turned toward Machiko. Somehow she looked different. Her hair retained its usual brown curls but her outfit and her aura was different. Machiko’s body was wrapped in a white and red robe. Its sleeves were long and wavy. A long red cord draped off Machiko’s shoulders and formed a bow near her stomach. Her left leg was exposed as the robe only covered one of her legs, waving over the right side of her body.
“Machiko?" Koemi asked hoping her sister wasn’t still asleep.
Machiko turned her head and smiled.
“Your clothes…”
Machiko looked down at herself realizing Koemi’s words. Machiko’s mouth opened in astonishment. Her clothes were different but not just hers, Mayumi and Koemi. What was also strange was something in her hand.
She thought for a moment before saying “This looks like a traditional kimono.”
“Doesn’t look traditional with your leg sticking out like that,” Mayumi mumbled.
Machiko turned and glared at Mayumi who was wearing a short kimono that resided over her thighs, being held together by a thick orange sash.
“Look at you, look at me. Look at Koemi! Where are we? What happened?”
“That thing on the wall did it,” Koemi yelled in excitement.
Koemi wore a short kimono like Mayumi but wore knee high socks that accompanied the high bows in her hair perfectly.
“Yeah…I mean once Koemi said Tamashi we somehow ended up here.”
“Wait…these cornfields, these outfits; they remind me of a story from old Japan.” Machiko spun her arms around embracing the cold evening air.
“So what are you saying?” Mayumi asked.
“It’s like the past.” Machiko mumbled.
“How do you figure that?”
Mayumi remained skeptical. It just didn’t seem likely. Well, considering what happened earlier at this point she was a little open to accepting it.
“I have a feeling…” Machiko stuttered.
She knew she sounded crazy, but Koemi and Mayumi nodded their heads in a silent agreement to show they believed her. They must’ve been transported back in time.
“This is strange, but it feels like….”
Machiko stopped in mid sentence, catching herself before she said something. She didn’t know why but deep inside there was something undiscovered.
“It feels like we’ve been here before.”
Mayumi finished off her sentence with the same exact words she was thinking. Koemi was oblivious to this but Machiko and Mayumi could feel that they had been there before. They had recognized the dry corn husks and the smell of bamboo. It was crazy to think it, so they brushed it off like it was nothing. The problem was how to get home.

The wind transformed the warm air into a chilled freezer. The girls stood around each other silently observing their surroundings. There was nothing around them but the cold air and an endless field of empty corn husks. Koemi bent down on one knee to pick up a husk. She cradled its dry shell in the palm of her hand.
“What do we do now?” Machiko asked Mayumi. Machiko knew they had to find somewhere to go but she wanted reassurance from Mayumi.
“We can’t just stand here. We have to walk around and see if we can find anywhere to stay,” Mayumi turned her back towards her sisters as she began to walk north, the opposite direction of the wind.
Koemi crunched through the field following behind Mayumi. Koemi could hear a voice in the back of her mind speaking to her in a hush tone.
“You are almost there, keep walking for another mile or two. I will be here if you need me.” Koemi smiled at the sound of the crow’s voice as she thought in her mind.
“Thank you Zanjir.”
Koemi turned to see Machiko walking not too far behind her; her eyes seemed distant. Past the husks, Koemi could see a dark shape in the distance.
“A house!”
“How can you see that far ahead?” Mayumi called back because she was way ahead of her sisters.
Koemi just giggled. As they walked close the dark shape began to form into a dark, abandoned house. The house was worn with age and looked charred to the bone. It must have caught on fire, but the miracle was that the house still stood. It stood slanted but the roof was still supported by two crisped wooden beams. The three girls entered the house each holding the weapon that landed in their hands when they were first transported. Everything somehow felt right. To them having the weapons wasn’t strange.
Machiko held a katana forged out of a strange metal. It was long and as sharp as her mind. Its handle was wrapped with string that matched her patterned kimono. It seemed like it was the perfect match for Machiko, a part of her that she had just discovered. A giant knife embellished with sharp blades was attached to Mayumi’s leg. It was easily accessible and seemed it was ready at any point to kill. Koemi had a bow and arrow that looked hand-carved from a smooth tree, only to be used by the fastest, slimmest arrows which she carried in a pouch strapped around her back.
The house was not that big but each girl drifted off into separate directions to investigate. They had hoped to see if it was okay to stay but in the back of their minds they were hoping to find someone: a human, someone to keep them company and maybe tell them where the heck they were. Koemi drifted off into a separate room isolated from the rest of the open house. She began to clutch her chest. She could sense something in the darkness and it was not good. She whipped her bow from her back and held it firmly in her hand for protection. Her hands shook with fear.
“It’s fine. If anything were to happen I’m here.”
Zanjir’s voice always came into her mind when she needed comfort; he was the one friend she always had when she needed one. The pain she began to feel worsened as she approached a figure tucked into a steep corner. She walked closer. She was scared and wanted to call for her sisters but she was overwhelmed with curiousity. She wanted to kill it herself and that sensation overwrought her natural instincts to call out. It was a man, the figure was a man. He hid his head between his knees as he sat in the corner. Koemi began to fell bad; the rags he wore barely covered his half burned flesh. It looked as if it could melt off his bones any minute as the little skin he had left drooped from his arms and legs.
The man noticed Koemi and lifted his head. Seeing the man’s brown eyes and face made Koemi squeal. His face was untouched; it glowed with the radiance of nice skin. Suddenly as Koemi gazed into the man’s eyes her and her mind traveled. Her arms stiffened to her sides. She looked around and could see the beauty of the house before it was charred.
Its walls stood firm with oak and traditional wooden flooring. Japanese dressers, vases and lamps encompassed her. She could see the man yelling at a woman, spit flying out of his mouth in anger. He raised his hand and slapped the woman’s gentle face. Koemi was surprised at the woman. She did not cry but stood still staring at the man. When a little boy came running up to her side. She bent her knees so she was the same level as the boy. She smiled and brushed the little boy’s bangs out of his face. Koemi could tell how much she was hurting, but she hid her pain well. The man stomped away and disappeared but his anger still floated in the air.
Koemi knew what was going to happen next. She could feel the man’s thoughts. He was filled with jealousy, control, anger and revenge. His wife soon entered the bedroom when he came up behind her.
“It’s sad that a piece of s*** like you would ever think of cheating on me.” The man chuckled as he spoke; his voice full of arrogance and manipulation.
The woman answered back her voice trembling in fear “I never have cheated on you. You are my husband!”
As soon as she raised her voiced he stepped closer so his nose practically touched hers. Her fear grew; she was afraid of her own husband, the man she had once fallen in love with, the same man she had a child with. Her view of him had changed but she could never forget the man he once was. He placed his hand on her cheek, sliding it slowly down to her neck.
“Then why were you gone yesterday? I heard you were with a man.”
“I went to see the pastor. I am pregnant.”
She held her head down almost as if she was ashamed to carry this man’s second child. Koemi didn’t watch anymore, so she tried calling out to her sisters. She couldn’t move and her sisters were nowhere to be seen. She was alone and afraid. The man placed both his giant hands around the woman’s thin neck. He lifted her off the floor, pushed her against the wall and began to choke her. Koemi began to feel like she couldn’t breathe. She could feel what the woman was feeling. All air was escaping her body and so was her life. The man soon let go and the woman’s body hit the wooden floor like a doll: hard and lifeless. Her face was pale. The beauty and joy that lived deep inside her had vanished. The man looked at her and spit.
“Too bad. I could have sold you for a lot more money when you were alive.”
Koemi began to feel really sad. She had just lost her parents and now she had to watch this. Soon it was not long before her sadness was covered with rage. The man she was looking at was a murderer. He hurt a nice, innocent woman. Koemi wanted to break free of the vision but she could not. She struggled to close her eyes and return to her sisters.
“Koemi, you must continue to watch. Trust me. You must see the whole picture.”
Zanjir’s voice was hoarse. He was always right when it came to doing things, so she listened and continued to watch the scene before her. The little boy was playing in his room when the man entered the doorway dragging his wife’s body. He smiled at his child. The child’s face showed confusion. The man walked forward and he dragged the mother, face down across the floor.
“Why don’t you clean up and put your toys away.”
The boy did not question his father as he began to place the toys on the floor in the closet. The man came up behind the boy and shoved him into the closet before throwing in his mothers dead body and slamming the door. Soon the house was engulfed with red and orange flame. Everything about the house, every memory and smile was wiped away in the blink of an eye. The innocent lives of the mother and child taken away by the man they had once trusted and looked up to. Koemi could take no more and was calm to see the vision had stopped but she trembled with anger and fear. The man who sat in front of her was evil. He looked innocent and sad but deep inside his rotting flesh and broken bones was a heart of stone. Koemi placed her hand behind her back, reaching for an arrow when Mayumi and Machiko ran into the room.
“Koemi what are you doing?!”
Machiko became worried. Koemi seemed different and she was about to kill a man, a person who could help them and looked like he needed help himself.
Mayumi walked up to Koemi and looked into her eyes. Koemi turned to face the man and drew back her bow now acquainted with one of her arrows.
“Koemi stop it!” Machiko yelled as Mayumi continued to stand still with her hand on her hips. Mahciko glared at Mayumi for not trying to help her.
“No! I won’t! He killed a nice person! He killed his son! He’s mean!”
Saying this Koemi released her arrow and it plunged deep into the man’s chest. Blood began to poor from his mouth and eyes as he gave one last look at Koemi and managed to chuckle. His brown eyes closed and his soul raised from his body. It was beautiful. A perfectly shaped translucent orb. It hovered over his body for a moment before being sucked into a crystal ball located on the tip of Koemi’s recurve bow. The ball glowed with a beautiful blue light and so did the crystals on Machiko and Mayumi’s weapons. Inside of the glowing orb they could recognize a familiar sight. The symbol was carved into the orb. Somehow everything was connected and Machiko wanted to figure out how. They awed in amazement. It was beautiful and indescribable, but it was not long before Machiko brought up the whole “Why would you do that?” speech.
Mayumi smiled at Koemi to show she understood. By looking at her Mayumi knew she was telling the truth plus Koemi never lied. Whatever kind of world they were in now they had to adapt, but why were these things happening to them? It reminded Mayumi of magic but that was preposterous. Koemi giggled as she turned to Machiko.
“That man was bad. My instincts told me. I saw it.”
Machiko sighed as she patted Koemi’s head.
“Alright. But I still wonder how you could have possibly learned to use a bow and arrow.”
“I don’t know.”
Mayumi stood with her hand on her chin, which Koemi called her thinking position. Whenever Koemi had homework she needed help with Machiko would shout out “Assemble thinking position!” and they would both place their hands on their chins. Machiko and Koemi found it hilarious but not as much for Mayumi.
“ Maybe these weapons are linked to us somehow. Maybe like an invisible connection or something…” Mayumi mumbled to herself.
Machiko actually felt like Mayumi was right.
“In a sense these weapons are like our personalities. In a way they are us and maybe we have always known how to use them.” Machiko said adding to Mayumi’s idea.
“Yeah! Machiko is tall and skinny. Mayumi is short and usually angry. And I’m lean and strong!” Koemi burst.
“ I think it goes deeper than that. Mayumi is short tempered, firm and at times her words could pierce like a knife, but she is easy to understand and at times just needs to be held.”
Mayumi stared at Machiko as she talked about her. She didn’t want her saying that stuff about her! She’s not as soft and squishy as she may think. Mayumi did not understand the depth of Machiko’s words. They were describing her accurately and that was what Mayumi did not like. She always wanted to remain a mystery, sometimes even to her own sisters.
“A bow and arrow are quick like you Koemi. Once they are fired there is no taking it back. You can be stubborn but you’re always there with a positive attitude and you’re always strong and supportive to your sisters. You’re outgoing just as this bow. You always make me and Mayumi happy because you help us through everything.”
Machiko began to choke on her words as she thought about Koemi’s reaction to their parent’s death. Koemi ran up to Machiko and hugged her tight, followed by Mayumi.
“And Machiko cooks the yummiest food and aren’t afraid to hurt whoever hurts us!” Koemi smiled and Mayumi joined in
“You sometimes act tough just so you can be a mother to us. No matter what you’re always with us and there at the right time. We would hardly get through anything without you. You protect and work hard for this family and we have always loved you for it.”
Mayumi could hardly believe how much she had rambled on. The words poured out of her like vomit. Koemi could feel the warmth of her sisters but then Zanjir’s voice came through.
“You must leave the house. Now that you have removed its evil the house will collapse!”
Koemi hardly had any time to react to his words before she could hear a tumbling sound and looked up to find the roof falling closer and closer to her.
“Shimai! The roof!” Koemi screamed as she continued to cling onto her sisters.
“Let’s go! Run!”
Machiko grabbed Koemi and they began to run but the roof was coming down faster and they wouldn’t reach the end in time. Koemi began to see a symbol appear on her hand. A light appeared from it and out came a crow. Its dark feather glistened and its beak was sharp and its look was calm.
“Zanjir!” Koemi screamed happily.
“Zanjir?” Machiko and Mayumi asked but there was no time to question anything.
Zajir began to flap his wings quickly causing a tornado of wind to form around them. The wind blew around and above them. The roof collapsed but they were not hurt. Zanjir protected them almost like a shield.
“Thank you Zanjir! You’re the best!”
Koemi smiled at Zanjir as the wind disappeared and he perched on her shoulder. The house was completely destroyed and now they were left in the middle of the field with no where to stay once again.
“Umm.. Koemi can you please introduce us to your friend.”
Machiko was very curious about Zanjir and how long he had been with Koemi and how in the world he just popped out of her hand. Thoughts raced through her mind as Koemi explained.
“This is Zanjir, my best friend. He has been with me ever since Mommy and Daddy died.”
“Hmm… so he is like your companion?” Mayumi asked.
“No he is my best friend!” Koemi answered.
Zanjir jumped from Koemi’s shoulder and into the air.
“It is nice to meet you Machiko and Mayumi. I have been with Koemi since your parents died, and was I awakened. I am here as a guide and protector to Koemi whenever she may need me.”
Zanjir’s hoarse voice came through and the girls tried to contemplate all that was being said. At this point Mayumi took all the weird things that were happening and began to piece them together in her mind so that it would make sense. To Machiko nothing was really making sense. To her she was still in some weird world like the anime shows she watched.
“This is nice and all but it’s freezing out here. I’m hungry and we still have nowhere to sleep.”
Mayumi allowed her selfishness to show with the hope that they would actually listen. She didn’t want to freeze out in the middle of nowhere plus this cold could get Koemi sick, and that was the last thing they needed.
“Indeed. Please follow me.”
Zanjir began to fly away when Koemi ran after him and followed him.
“Way to ruin the mood.”
Machiko wanted to learn more about Zanjir but she felt like she would in time. She felt a slight pain that she could not protect her sisters from the collapsing house, but she knew she couldn’t do much. The thought that she couldn’t do much continued to sink in and hurt her deeper inside. She began to venture back to how she could do nothing for her parents.
“Machiko come on,” Mayumi called out.
But she could tell by the sadness in her eyes that she was thinking about her parents. Mayumi walked back and placed her hand on Machiko’s shoulder.
“C’mon I don’t want to have to sing to you.”
Machiko smiled knowing Mayumi would sing but her singing voice sounded like a dying cat. They both walked together following behind Koemi and Zanjir.
All three girls were tired of walking which it felt like that was all they had been doing. Machiko began to feel her knees go weak but as she watched Koemi and Mayumi keeping up the fast pace with no hesitation she continued on.
“Are we there yet?” Koemi began to complain because all she wanted was to eat ramen and sleep.
“We are here.”
The girls zoned out Zanjir’s words as they looked at the house in front of them. There was smoke coming out of the chimney which meant it was warm inside. Koemi could smell meat and that meant food. Mayumi ran her fingers through her hair as she nudged Koemi to knock on the door. Once she knocked she could hear someone coming and Zanjir disappeared back into the symbol on her hand and it vanished. The door opened and a middle aged woman smiled at them.
“Hello ladies may I help you?”
The woman’s smile was as warm as the house and Koemi could sense these were kind people.
“Hello ma’am. I am afraid we are lost at the moment and….”
Machiko was interrupted by the woman and was glad about it because she was running out of things to say.
“Ah I see. Please come in! Hurry its cold out and the food could get cold!”
“Thank you so much!”
The girls were overjoyed. Koemi could hear the sound of feet running around and the laughter of a girl. She felt like this was her chance to make new friends. Being in such an unknown place she could use people her age she could play with.
The house was small but there was enough room for Machiko, Mayumi, Koemi, the woman and her two children. The atmosphere felt welcoming and toasty.
“Please girls sit down.”
They sat down at a long wooden table. The table looked to have been made by hand, each knock and curve in the wood was inaccurate and crooked. Plates and cups were set out before them. A single candle rested in the middle of the table where a flower bouquet would usually be. A fire roared in the background, crackling like the sound of the little boy’s laughter that Koemi had heard earlier. The woman sat across from them as she called out
“Tenma, please bring the food.”
“Coming!”
A girl with long, silky brown hair walked into the room carrying two plates of food. There was not a lot of food but it looked like there would be enough for all of them to have at least something.
“Please, let me help.”
Machiko felt bad. She didn’t want the woman to feel like they were taking advantage of her because she could tell the family was not well off.
“No, you’re our guests. Just enjoy the food. I helped make it! I hope you like it!”
She placed the food on the table, very proud of her accomplishment making it.
“It usually burns but this time it came out pretty good.”
“It looks delicious!”
Koemi smiled at Tenma very brightly showing how grateful she was. Tenma smiled in return as she sat next to her mother.
“Haruka! Dinner!”
Once his mother called for him Haruka ran into the room with a wooden toy still in his hand. He could hardly reach the table so his mother had to lift him into a chair. Rice and meat steamed from the table making the girls stomach churn.
“Now let us pray.”
The woman grabbed Tenma’s hand and nudged her to grab Haruka’s. Haruka tried to extend his tiny arms but he could not reach the other side of the table. Machiko moved over more so he could reach her. Everyone grabbed each other’s hand so there was a circle of arms around the table. The scene looked like it could be painted and mounted on the wall, like a family portrait. Koemi felt like she was part of a big family again.
After a short prayer everyone stared at the food waiting for the woman’s words.
“itadakimasu!”
Her voice rang quickly because as a mother she could tell everyone was hungry, including herself. Her hand were scratched and looked worn from working in fields.
“What are your names?”
It was silly. They had almost forgotten why they were there or how they had gotten there. For a moment all three girls felt united. At that moment they had forgotten all their troubles. Even Mayumi had relaxed.
“I’m Koemi! These are my older shimai: Machiko and Mayumi!”
“It is very nice to meet you all.”
The woman looked at the girls and could see the happiness in Machiko and Koemi but came face to face with Mayumi’s cold stare. She could tell that something deep could be troubling Mayumi but did not want to interfere. She was not going to try and break through that wall because she knew it would be difficult. When her husband had passed away she turned into a silent person, the complete opposite of who she knew she was. If it wasn’t for her children she felt that she would have entered into complete darkness. Her life would be a board game: rolling a dice and just moving around the board with no real purpose. She wanted to talk to Mayumi but it would have been the same as trying to rip apart a brick building with her bare hands, painstakingly ripping it apart, brick by brick.
“My name is Nana and these are my children: Tenma my oldest and Haruka the youngest.”
Koemi smiled at Haruka. He was younger than her by a few years but that wouldn’t stop her from making friends with him. She had Zanjir and she loved him but there was something inside her that wanted a human friend.
“Um..Nana..May I please sit next to Haruka? He’s going to be my new friend!”
Nana began to laugh. Seeing Koemi look so excited and flustered at the same time gave her a sudden push of happiness. Her eyes glistened with joy. Although Nana wondered what made her so willing to let these girls into her house. Something about them surprised her. They were dressed in very beautiful, expensive looking kimono’s but they weren’t snotty or cocky. They looked noble but they did not act like it. She paid no mind to their weapons, figuring if they wanted to hurt her they would’ve done it by now. Plus, what is there to take? The family was poor. The only thing they had was eachother.
“Of course!”
“Yay!”
Koemi sprung up from her spot in the middle of Machiko and Mayumi, and planted herself next to Haruka. He looked at her for a moment then turned his attention toward his food. Koemi sat silently for a moment just watching him before she got bored.
“Haruka, how old are you?”
Haruka looked up from his small plate of food, looked at Koemi then turned back to his food. Koemi pouted as she crossed her arms over her chest. If he didn’t want to talk to her, fine, but he should have still answered her. She was just trying to be nice but Koemi didn’t take into consideration that he was younger than her and had the personality of a blank book.
“Thank you again for this. It must be strange letting us into your home, especially since we are lost.”
Machiko didn’t want Nana to kick her out if she found out that they weren’t even from that time period. There was still much more to figure out, especially more about the people that lived there. Maybe Nana could help them find a way back home, but Machiko did not trust her just yet.
“No problem. The world is full of people and it is our duty to take care of one another,” Nana stated.
“May I ask, why your hands are all dirty?” Koemi asked in curiosity.
“Koemi! That’s rude!”
Koemi was just able to ask before Machiko said something. She should have known Machiko would have said something about how bad her manners are. She was just curious; she didn’t mean anything bad by it. Koemi was curious about everything but most of all Nana. She could not sense anything bad in her, so why were her hands like that?
“That’s all right.” Nana consuled Koemi.
Machiko silently sighed to herself. Nana was very nice but if they were somewhere formal Koemi would have sure been the cause that would get them kicked out. Machiko was secretly on guard. Nana could tell they were curious since they asked a lot of questions. She could tell they were from out of town so she made sure she would explain everything in detail.
“I work in the fields about three miles away from here. Many people who live on the outskirts of town work in the fields because it is the closest and most available job for peasants. My hands are this way because of picking, planting and harvesting.”
Machiko was going to ask more about the place but Nana continued talking.
“The work has increased on peasants to support the higher class of the village. During the beginning of the Yayoi period, after the great incident much strain has been placed on the people. I fear things are getting worse instead of better.”
“What is the great incident?”
Machiko hoped she was not hitting a really sensitive topic but she needed to know.
“Even back when my mother was young and until my childhood there were three heros. The village was full of evil. Although there is evil everywhere in the world, it was worse here. People were killing others, the river was polluting and many strange things began to occur. There is a legend that tells of three heros, born from the ash of a lost forest. They were born to protect the town and its people. I have not seen them. In fact no one has but my mother once told me that they had saved her from a man who tried to rob and kill her. They fought off all evil until one day they vanished.”
Nana looked down at the table, winding through old memories and stories her mother told her. Mayumi looked at Machiko who looked at Koemi. Haruka looked up from his plate of food as he uttered the words
“They have returned.”
No one heard what he had said except for Koemi but she kept it to herself. Since Haruka had hardly said anything to her she wanted to be the only one who knew what he said, like they were sharing a secret.
“We may not have a lot of room but I can move the table and lay out some blankets for you.”
“That would be greatly appreciated, Arigato.” Mayumi said.
Mayumi bowed her head and Nana was surprised. She stood there for a moment before leaving the room and retuning with blankets tucked under her arm.
The girls were able to fall asleep temporarily until they awoke in the middle of the night.
“Do you think we’ll be here forever?” Koemi questioned.
Koemi was still young so she could adapt but she missed home deeply.
“Not forever.” Machiko whispered.
Machiko was worried about how they would get home and what home would be like when they did.
“Where are we going to go tomorrow?”
As Koemi kept hitting Machiko with question after question Mayumi stared at the ceiling. It felt uncomfortable not being home but to her they had no home to return to. Their parents were dead, making their home just an empty, blood filled house.

Machiko opened her eyes and blinked to adjust to the morning light. She turned to see that Koemi and Mayumi were still sleeping: Koemi drooling and Mayumi, as stiff as a rock. She knew exactly where they were and wasn’t going to day dream that they were home. As the older sister she knew she had to take care of Koemi and Machiko.
“Wake up sleepy head.”
Machiko tried to wake Mayumi first. She tried using a gentle tone. Then stood hovering over Mayumi. She should’ve known. Growing up with Mayumi was not as tough as waking her up. Now only if she had a bottle of water…
“It’s Morning!”
Somehow Koemi’s screaming managed to wake Mayumi but it did not put her in a good mood.
“Koemi we need to be quiet. We do not want to wake everyone else.”
Machiko placed her finger over her mouth as she watched Koemi slump back into her thin blanket. The night was cold and the thin blankets didn’t help but it was all they had.
“Aren’t we staying here?” Koemi asked with such innocence that Machiko felt shameful when she had to tell her no.
“We have to keep moving. We can’t stay,” Mayumi said trying to sound as nice as possible.
Mayumi rose from the floor as she began to role her blanket neatly before placing it on a table. Machiko began to fold her portion of the bed as she motioned Koemi to do the same. It was sad to leave just when they had met such nice people, but they had to go. This is not where they belonged and Machiko was determined to find where they would. After folding everything the girls quietly snuck out of the house. It was as if they were never there and they would never return.
“I didn’t get to say goodbye to Nana or Tenma or Haruka,” Koemi was filled with disappointment.
Machiko wanted to be as patient and calm as possible but she felt they would come across a lot of disappointment while they were there. There were still many unanswered questions. Who killed their parents? How did they travel back in time? What are the weapons for? Machiko began to feel overwhelmed with questions that she tried to ask herself. She was a doctor, spending her life solving other’s problems but she reached a point where she could not solve her own.
They began walking with a familiar feeling: the cold. The kimono’s the girls had on especially Mayumi and Koemi’s short cut kimono’s, did not keep them warm. Machiko began to think of her patients at the office. How would they manage without her? There were nurses and other doctors but Machiko did not want anyone else taking care of her patients but her.
Suddenly, Machiko began to smell the scent of strong coffee and fresh muffins. She could image walking into the same coffee shop that she did every morning. There were usually different people there every time but the same boy worked there. He was tall, with masculine shoulders and brown eyes. Machiko always thought how childish she was for having a crush on someone.
“I’ll have a blueberry muffin and small coffee, please.”
“What?” Mayumi asked in a high pitch voice.
Mayumi turned around and stared at Machiko. Koemi began turning red as she laughed. Machiko realized she just said that out loud and began to be a little embarrassed. Koemi ran next to Machiko and looked up at her.
“Thinking about that boy?” Koemi asked.
Machiko was surprised. She didn’t know that they knew about her little crush, but she never told them. She only told her mother who she swore to secrecy. Unless…
“Someone’s been eavesdropping.” Mayumi said smiling at Koemi who still couldn’t stop laughing.
“So, who is this guy? I sure hope he’s tall.”
Mayumi looked at Machiko who was fairly tall for her age and was the tallest in their family. Mayumi loved making fun of Machiko because it reminded her of lost times when she was little and Machiko would always mess with her. She didn’t think of it as pay back but more of “Yeah I got jokes too.”
“Shut up. It’s just the boy I give my order to in the morning.”
Machiko wanted the subject to change but she enjoyed the light conversation she was having with her sisters. It felt like they hadn’t had a nice, casual conversation in forever.
“Did he order a side of you and return it?”
Mayumi’s smile began to widen as she silently chuckled and tried to hold it in. Machiko wanted to say something to top her comment but looking at Koemi and Mayumi laughing made her want to join. Machiko shrugged her shoulders as she joined in their laughter. At that moment it seemed like everything was okay and nothing could possibly ruin the moment.
The noise of a lot of people began to enter Machiko’s ear drums. It sounded like a lot of busy people.
“I wonder what’s going on.” Machiko quietly asked, almost to herself.
As they walked closer they realized what all the noise was about. It was a market place. As they walked forward, passing house after house they came closer to the shouts of men trying to sell fish and fruit. Machiko could smell freshly picked fruits and could see carts clumped together. It was packed and everyone seemed like ants, trying to get what they needed and leave as quickly as they came.
“I’m hungry and tired.”
Machiko could hear Koemi complaining but not over her growling stomach and the pain in her legs. She knew they had no chance of getting any money from anyone in the crowd because unlike the nice people in the country the faces of these men and women were unapproachable. Machiko grabbed Koemi’s hand and told her not to let go.
“Mayumi, walk in front of me,” Machiko mumbled.
“What am I? Five?”
Mayumi didn’t want to be treated like a child and as much as she admired Machiko for acting like a mother at times it annoyed her.
“Just do it” Machiko answered in frustration.
Feeling as if there were no point arguing and wanting to quickly stuff her face with food Mayumi listened. Once they entered the marketplace people began to stop and look at them. They weren’t expecting to be the center of attention. People began to look at them with greed in their eyes. To their right Machiko could see an elderly man, selling fish, smiling mischievously at her. He either thought they had money or he wanted her body. Eventually after staring for a while in silence the forty or so amount of people returned to their shouting and exchange of goods.
“Maaaaacchikooo….Machiko! Machiko! I’m hungry!” Koemi complained.
It seemed like Koemi was not going to give up until she got the food she wanted, which was usually ramen. Once Machiko would get home from work their mother always made ramen because it was what Koemi had requested. When Machiko would beg for a change her mother would give her a look saying “You won’t hear the end of it from Koemi.”
Machiko was shoulder to shoulder with people she didn’t know, but she took comfort in seeing that Mayumi was right in front of her and Koemi was right….
In a split second of Machiko’s mind drifting Koemi snuck away to peek at some dolls she saw. Machiko began to feel nervous, worried, angry and sick.
“Mayumi! Where’s Koemi?” Machiko asked frantically.
“She’s right there,” Mayumi said, pointing just up ahead.
There hardly tall enough to see over the counter was Koemi. She reached on her tippy toes as she tried to reach for a doll she saw hanging in front of the man’s store.
“Are you serious?!” Machiko said.
Machiko felt so stupid. Mayumi answered so casually like she knew Koemi was there the whole time but Machiko was freaking out. She thought in that moment she had lost her sister. When they reached the store Machiko placed her hand on Koemi’s head.
“You little rascal. Don’t you ever run away from me again. You could have gotten lost!”
Koemi turned and looked at Machiko with apologetic eyes before answering “But I wanted the doll.”
Machiko looked and could see a cute little doll with black yarn for hair and brown eyes as buttons. Koemi didn’t have anything to hold or cuddle with and Machiko wanted to buy it. Mayumi turned to look at Machiko with a sneaky smirk on her face.
“Alright, you distract the clerk. I’ll cut the doll down with my knife, grab it, grab Koemi then we make a mad dash for wherever,” Mayumi mumbled to Machiko.
For some reason Machiko doubted that Mayumi would ever steal but she could tell Mayumi was serious and would get that doll for Koemi even if it killed her.
“No. We are no thieves or beggars. We will get money and I will find a way to support us, the right way.”
Machiko wanted to get the doll for Koemi as badly as Mayumi but she knew the consequences would not be good. Machiko looked at Mayumi and placed her hand on Mayumi’s shoulder. At that moment Mayumi remembered what had happened with Asuna but for some reason Mayumi was not bothered by the thought. Mayumi looked up at Machiko and realized how stupid her idea was in the first place. Machiko jumped when she heard the booming voice of the shop owner.
“Well, Hello ladies. How may I help you?”
The man was middle aged and seemed like he was not as unapproachable as everyone else. There was something comforting about this man, maybe the fact that he didn’t look at them like outsiders but as normal people. Machiko knew everyone around them was spreading gossip like one chirping bird to another. They stood out in the crowd just by the way they looked and the fact that they carried weapons with them.
“I like that dolly!” Koemi bursted.
Koemi continued to reach for it although it was so far out of her reach. Koemi was determined to get that doll. She wanted to hold it and take care of it like how her sisters and mother always took care of her.
“You do? I have to admit it is a very pretty doll and you are a very pretty young lady.”
The gentlemen caused Koemi to blush as he cut the doll from its rope and held it in his hand. He looked at the doll then back at Koemi before placing it in her hand. Koemi could not stop smiling as she held the doll. Mayumi and Machiko watched Koemi giggle and jump now that she held the doll in her arms. Machiko smiled for a moment until she turned to the man.
“How much is it?” Machiko asked nervously.
She was afraid he would try to attack them when he finds out that they don’t have the money to pay.
“Don’t worry. It’s free as long as she promises to take good care of it for me.”
Machiko gave the man a serious gaze because she did not believe him in the slightest.
“I promise!”
Koemi promised the man that she would always love and cherish the doll. The man looked at Machiko for a second time but the look in his eyes told her that he was indeed a good man.
“Arigato.” Machiko said.
Machiko bowed to the man who responded with only a single smile and a wave goodbye as they began to walk away.
“What are you going to name her?” Machiko asked Koemi.
Machiko was relieved that the man was nice but she was not going to let her guard down. If she were a queen in the midst of battle she would not surrender so easily. The ache in her legs that she had been avoiding was beginning to creep back with a vengeance. She had to rest and eat. Machiko took Koemi’s hand as she looked for a place to rest. An old looking inn stood in front of them. It looked like it was recently built or built again because its structure did not fit in with the rest of the town. Machiko figured it was on purpose to attract customers. Machiko looked at Mayumi who was already walking in. Machiko could feel Koemi’s soft hand let go of her’s as she ran towards Mayumi. When she ran up to Mayumi she began to stroke her new dolls ball of hair.
Machiko followed behind her sister but then Mayumi stepped to the side allowing Machiko to reach the front desk to talk to the woman there. The woman’s hair was up in a sleek and uniformed bun and she wore a pink kimono which stood out. The woman looked up, brown eyes gleaming like she really enjoyed her job.
“Welcome to the Iochi inn,” she bowed as she politely greeted them.
Mayumi turned her head in disgust and Machiko knew why. Mayumi probably thought this girl was two-faced even though it was her job to be polite. Mayumi thought of it as a waste of energy and people’s time. Machiko smiled at the girl trying to put on a good first impression.
“Hello, is the owner here? I would like to speak with them.”
Machiko figured if she could persuade the owner to let them stay a few hours in exchange for a few hours of labor everything would work out. Mayumi placed her elbow on the greeting counter and planted her chin in her hand. Mayumi reached her “get on with it already” position. Machiko rolled her eyes at Mayumi’s impatience as she told Mayumi to take Koemi and wait outside.
“Don’t lose her,” Machiko yelled back.
“I’m not you!” Mayumi answered with as much arrogance as she could muster.
Machiko sometimes couldn’t stand being around Mayumi, at points even Koemi, but they were her sisters.
“Yes, one moment.” The woman answered.
The woman left the desk as she walked out and around into a hallway leaving behind the click of her wooden sandals across the floor. The inn was quiet and the shout of the marketplace could still be heard from the inside. There were paintings of farmers and traces of flowers in vases at every corner. Machiko waited patiently for a few minutes, checking every five seconds for Mayumi’s dark hair and Koemi’s colorful Kimono outside. Machiko could see a pink flash approaching from the hallway as the woman walked towards her followed by a young looking woman. The check in lady bowed her head to the young woman and walked back behind the counter.
The woman Her hair looked clean. Her face was almost flawless and Machiko could not tell what her age was, possibly late twenties early thirties. Machiko bowed her head making sure her back was straight and her eyes could see the floor.
“What is it that I can help you with?” The woman asked nicely.
Machiko flipped her back upright and smiled at the woman.
“My sisters and I have been traveling. It would be greatly appreciated if you would allow us to stay at this inn for the night with food. We don’t have any money but I can provide any help you may need.”
After Machiko finished speaking she drew in a breath. She tried to sound sophisticated. Machiko was out of options and she was partly relying on the kindness she had seen so far. The woman looked off in thought and then began to walk away. Great, another missed opportunity. Machiko didn’t blame the woman. It was completely understandable that she would turn them away after all they didn’t belong.
Outside Mayumi sat against the inn as she watched Koemi play with her doll.
“You never said what you are going to name her.”
They had sat outside in silence for a good half an hour and Mayumi was bored and still as hungry as ever.
“Sora,” Koemi said softly.
Mayumi sighed at Koemi’s sweet voice.
“Sky. I like it,” Mayumi whispered almost so Koemi couldn’t hear.
“Just like mommy.” Koemi said with passion.
Mayumi felt her throat dry and she refused to let herself cry. Hearing her say their mother’s name made Mayumi’s heart ache. Her loss had affected all of them but it hurt Koemi in a way no one knew.
“Yup. Just like mommy.” Mayumi said.
Mayumi looked at Koemi who was staring at the doll with only love in her eyes. She then looked up at the sky as she watched the clouds dance across its blue ocean. Their mother was like the sky: free spirited, funny, easy to talk to, beautiful and always there. Now their mother was exactly like the sky in the sense that she was out of reach. Mayumi watched and thought of her mother as she waited for Machiko to her hurry up.
Machiko put on a brave face as she turned to walk towards the door.
“Wait!” A distant voice called out to her.
Machiko recognized the owner’s voice and turned around. She was holding some pink kimono’s.
“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you where I was going. Here, take these, put them on and I’ll give you instructions.” The owner said.
The woman handed Machiko the soft silk kimonos and Machiko bowed even deeper than before.
“Thank you ma’am.” Machiko said.
The woman laughed as she answered “Just call me Sakura. I’m not forty yet.”
Machiko smiled gratefully as she turned to get her sisters.
“Let me just get my sisters.”
Machiko couldn’t have gathered them faster. She saw Mayumi and Koemi sitting against the building and she lifted them off the ground and hurried them back into the inn.
“Miss Sakura these are my sisters Mayumi and Koemi.”
Sakura looked at the girls happily she seemed relieved that she had more workers who she only had to provide lodging and food for. Koemi and Mayumi looked at Sakura, Koemi full of smiles and Mayumi glaring her down, inspecting her head to toe.
“There is a vacant room. Please change and rest there. I will send up food and eventually someone to get you so be ready to work.” Sakura said.
Machiko nodded as Sakura led them down the same hallways she came from. Sakura took a key and opened a door, then handing the key to Machiko before she walked away. There was one mattress and a small window that let in the light of afternoon. The room had wooden flooring and a rug rested on the floor with a knee high table. Machiko knew it would be a long night because Koemi would roll around all night and while Mayumi would be sleeping soundly she would be wide awake.
“So what’s the deal?” Mayumi asked.
Machiko forgot that she didn’t explain things so she took her katana out of its strap and placed it on the floor. She knelt in front of the small table and her knees wobbled in strange relief of rest.
“We can stay the night. They’ll also give us food but we must work in order to pay it off.”
Mayumi sucked on her teeth.
“That’s typical. A favor for a favor. I’m surprised she didn’t ask for something more.”
There was something about this Miss Sakura that felt off. There was something about her that was not right and Mayumi could feel it but she knew Machiko would not believe it.
“They’re giving us food and shelter. You need to be grateful.”
Machiko was getting a bit bitter with Mayumi because she felt like Mayumi needed to stop being a brat and be thankful for once. After telling Mayumi and Koemi to remove their weapons she stepped behind a curtain which served as a changing area. She placed the pink kimono on which was loose around her waist but it covered her chest so it would have to do. As she changed she could hear Mayumi mumble to herself
“As if I would leave my knife here. Especially in this crappy inn.”
Machiko thought for a moment. She didn’t want to let her guard down and their weapons protected them so why would she leave them? Mayumi was probably right but she did not want to give a bad impression or get them kicked out. Machiko stepped out from the sturdy curtain. She looked at Koemi who already dressed herself in the kimono which was, you guessed it: big on her. Mayumi still wore her purple and black kimono.
“Don’t even try. I’m not becoming one of that crazy ladies work slaves. And there is no way I am wearing that pink kimono. You might as well try to pin a tail on a fish.”
There was a moment of silence and then before she knew it Machiko had managed to get Mayumi to wear the kimono. It was a miracle. After the miracle of getting Mayumi to wear the kimono Machiko didn’t even try to persuade Koemi to keep her doll inside the room. That was un-negotiable. Machiko could hear Koemi’s winning voice “I’m not going anywhere without her!”
All three girls knelt on the floor around the table as they looked at each other and waited for a knock on the door. The knock came moments after when a woman dropped off food. Each plate had the same thing on it: rice, vegetables and grilled fish.
“Food!! Food!” Koemi yelled.
It seemed food was the only thing that could distract her attention from the doll.
“Food for me and food for Sora!”
Machiko flinched at the sound of her mother’s name. Machiko felt ashamed that she had almost forgotten about their mother’s name. She had tried to suppress her emotions, but hearing her mother’s name sent a flood of memories to cloud her mind at once. Machiko pushed her thoughts to the side once more as she placed the food in front of her hungry sisters.
Soon after the girls stuffed down the food, almost like pigs there was another knock at the door. Machiko got up to answer it and when she opened the door she felt like she was seventeen again. A man stood before her. He was like an angel. Machiko knew she was imagining the light shining around him but she could not stop her heart from beating faster. The man stood tall. His brown eyes seemed to be full of mystery. She was dazed by his dapperness. Yet she felt so stupid since she was overcome so easily by her emotions. He smiled at her and her heart melted.
“My mother sent me to escort you ladies to the kitchen,” he said.
He looked in the room, glancing at Koemi and Mayumi before immediatly gazing back at Machiko. She was unsure what he was thinking but she could tell her found her interesting.
“Thank you.”
Machiko didn’t want to sound nervous so she tried to speak as fluently as possible although she trembled. They were escorted to the kitchen where many women were scrambling around trying to get food prepared. Machiko watched as the kitchen became flooded with the sound of wooden sandals and the pink uniforms. The girls helped them cook dinner, chop up vegetables and deliver it to the guests. The women were impressed with Machiko’s cooking skills. The girls had worked hard, even Koemi who only used one arm since the other would never let go of her doll.
They had returned to their designated room as tired as ever. Koemi and Mayumi were knocked out once they lay on the mattress, but Machiko was wide awake. Machiko felt like a thief, going to sneak out to meet Ryuu. She could hear his voice from hours before, tickling her ear with a soft whisper to meet him later. Machiko was weakened and entranced by his move. She imagined a romance that she never had. Just as she was going to turn the small doorknob she stopped. This was not the present. He doesn’t really exist. Machiko doubted her surroundings and began to think it wasn’t reality, but it was. Machiko opened the door and snuck out into the darkness. What did she have to lose? She already lost her parents.
Machiko walked down the hallway and could see a shadow at the other end. She walked closer and could see it was Ryuu. She smiled at him and he took her hand. His hands were big around hers but they were inviting. Ryuu led her out into the main lobby and had her sit down.
“Why don’t we go somewhere with light?” Machiko asked wanting to see his face.
“I want to get to know you in the dark.”
Ryuu’s voice was light and deep. She could sense him moving closer to her. He stood in front of her, both his hands against the chair she was sitting in. He took his hand and placed it gently on Machiko’s cheek. She took her hand and placed it on top of his.
“How is it that you happened to be here?” Ryuu asked almost as if he was conducting an investigation.
“Hmm.. well I thought I heard something about a very handsome man.” Machiko said.
She liked Ryuu but she was not going to tell him anything. Instead she just wanted to enjoy the moment while it lasted.
“Good thing you did.” Ryuu whispered.
His breath was warm and made her body tingle. She felt butterflies go crazy in her stomach as he began to stroke her hair. She could not see him which made their encounter all the more intruigging.
“And why is that?” Machiko asked trying to pretend like she didn’t know the answer.
Ryuu did not say anything but Machiko felt his hands slide down unto her shoulders. Soon she could feel his soft lips on hers. Machiko was caught up in the moment and found herself returning the favor. She kissed him back as she raised off the chair and backed him up against the wall. Machiko wanted to spend more time with Ryuu to know him better but she wanted to get back to her sisters.
“Ryuu…”
She whispered his name but he did not want to stop kissing her. She placed her hand on his chest to signal him to stop. He took her hand in his and they walked outside. After they talked for a while about Ryuu and his mother running the inn, Machiko’s sisters, and how they would meet next; Machiko was returned back to her room. Machiko could hear noises coming from inside the room but Ryuu did not seem to notice. Machiko could hear a lot of movement and things breaking.
She did not want to move in suddenly to be sure she knew what was going on. Machiko crouched down and peeked into the room through the key hole. Ryuu stood behind her wondering what she was doing. Mayumi had her knife gripped tightly in her hand. Koemi stood behind her holding Sora. Sakura was in front of Mayumi, laying on the floor. Machiko could see Mayumi was talking and the the orb on all their weapons glowed. Machiko knew what that meant.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.