All Star Game | Teen Ink

All Star Game

By killajr, san diego, California
killajr, San Diego, California

IDGAF

Chapter: 1

All-Star Game

On a sunny summer afternoon in Baltimore, MD where the grass is nice and gloomy but the buildings aren’t in such great condition. While little kids and their parents are running up and down the streets screaming and yelling “catch me if you can!!!!” Also where the older kids are conditioning for their fall sports. There were 3 close friends friends Colin, Ka’Lease, and Tshombre are practicing for the All-star football game. Theres only a certain amount of spots left open for the game for others to start.

“ I already know i’m going to make the team.” Tshombre says with confidence.

“Me too.” Ka’Lease continues.

“Why do you guys always have to be so cocky? ‘You both always are like yeah im good at this im good at that give somebody else the chance to say their good at something too.” Lectures Colin.

“Well that is kinda true at the same time you're wrong because I don’t always say i'm good at stuff. ‘And I don’t always brag about me carrying the team on my back thats mainly Tshombre.” Rapidly comments Ka’Lease.

“Can we just go practice and stop talking?’ seriously.” Say’s Tshombre

“Yeah. ‘We can head down to the big field and start running routes if you want.” Says Ka’Lease

As the three friends walk to the bigger grass field behind Middle River Middle School. They run into the cities gang members, Woah Fam. “Aye yo what the hell yall youngsters doing around here?” Said a member from Woah Fam

“Yo chill we just up here to practice.” Said Ka’Lease

“Oh yall play ball?” Muttered a member from Woah Fam.
Chapter 2:

“Football? ‘oh yeah we play “ Mumbled
tshombre.

“We’ll see you around.” said Woah Fam

“psshhuuu!’ I thought they would never leave.” murmured colin.

“Alright lets start conditioning,”

Colin, Ka’lease, and Tshombre all put the cleats on tie them up tight and start taking a jog around the 400 meter field. While they're running they ease by a black duffle bag. Just laying there on the floor. It kinda smells like a dead body. “Lets check it out!” said Colin.

“You of all people should not be doing anything but practicing to get better. ‘ All you do is arm tackle people, you can’t even really catch the ball, and you cry when you get tackled. ‘So toughen up and lets go practice.” Roared Ka’Lease. As they hurry back to where there stuff is Colin is quite not talking to both Ka’Lease or Tshombre.

“Aye do you guys need to stretch?’ Because I know I do, not trying to get any cramps.” Tshombre concludes.

“Why is Colin is taking off his cleats?” Tshombre Whispered to Ka’Lease

“He’s Booty Tickled.” Ka’Lease answered back.

“Colin! ‘Are you about to bounce and just leave without practicing?” Said Ka’Lease.

“yeah cause you're being stupid and trying to put me on blast.” Said Colin.

“Ight I mean you need the practice not me.” Ka’Lease added on.

“He will get bored and come back don’t worry about it.” Said Tshombre.

As Tshombre and Ka’Lease are practicing some of the plays and working on their footwork. Colin shows back up with a plate full of chocolate chip cookies, just eating them as they were working hard. For every time they looked at him he ate one. “Mhmm.” Colin hummed.

“Dude I can’t practice with the aroma of those sweet, sugary, steamy chocolate chip cookies. ‘Let’s go buy something he really like.” Whispered Tshombre.

“Okay in like 10 minutes, ‘Every time we look at him he eats one so lets look at him while practicing and wait until he eats all of them. Then go to my house because my grandmother made so homemade cinnamon rolls with icing on top.” Replied Ka’Lease.

So as Colin was stuffing his mouth full of cookies every time they looked at him. He didn’t know what was going on in their heads or if they were planning something. But they were.

“okay he’s done, lets go.” Tshombre said happily.

They packed up their stuff and started walking to Ka’Lease(s) house where there were homemade cinnamon rolls fresh out of the oven where the icing was still running down the side of the steamy smell good cinnamon rolls. Colin tries to come along but Tshombre just closes the door in his face.

“Oh thats foul.” said Colin.

“Hmmm, ‘thanks grandma.” Said both Ka’Lease and Tshombre.

“YOU'RE WELCOME!” She yells from down in the basement.

*

*

*

Now its time to go register for the football program. Where they are going to take your weight, and give you your physical then get your pads and stuff.

“Dude im so stoked, we are finally getting our stuff. ‘I can’t wait to hit other people.” Tshombre chanted.

“I know me too.” Ka’Lease added on.

As Ka’Lease and Tshombre are getting a ride home. They are wondering where Colin was but neither of them wanted to call him. So Ka’Lease goes home to rest up and Tshombre of course never takes caution in his health during any sport. Doing backflips off of stuff.

“Alright everyone go take a lap around the field’ then come back and put your pads
on!” Yelled coach Diaz.

Everyone is done running their laps, while they were running they were talking about how the coach introduced himself. By making everybody run a lap.

“Coach what do we do now?” Asked some random team member.

“Well you can start by putting your pads on.” Answered coach Diaz.

“HEY LISTEN UP! ‘ Put your pads on and meet me on the 50 yard line in 2 lines facing each other.”

“OKLAHOMAS!” Somebody yelled.

The coaches were trying to see who they are going to keep on the team and who they're not gonna keep. We’ll they are going to keep everyone but some won’t start.
“Wow little man sure can deliver a nasty blow!” Said one of the coaches.

“Yeah sure can.” added on another coach.

“WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Ka’Lease yelled. “Thats how you really hit.”

“Someone is gonna get hurt.” Concerned coach Diaz “I can tell.”

“Let the boys be. ‘If they hurt themselves then they will just have to be hurt.” Argued one of the other Coaches.

“You are forgetting who the head coach is here and last time I checked you weren’t so shut the hell up and let me run my team the way I want. ‘And what I want right now is for them to stop hitting and get drink of water before one of them get dehydrated.” Explained coach Diaz.

“Well actually I do run this team, ‘I am the oofffeennssiivvee ccoorrddiinnaattoorr!” Slowey explained the other coach as if coach Diaz is mentally retarded.

“OKAY LET’S GET A BREAK AND GET WATER!” Yells coach Diaz to the kids.

Now that coach Diaz is mad the kids might have to run sprints. All because of the other coach nobody really knows. All they know is that he runs the offensive and creates play he think might work during the season. Also after practice he kinda helps the center learn how to snap the ball correctly. By that I mean not snapping the ball so hard.

“Alright line on the goal line and I want the linemen to sprint to the 50 yard line and jog to the endzone. ‘Ready go.” Says coach Diaz.

“Now the rest of you backpedal to the the 20 yard line and then sprint past the 50 to the 35 and jog to the endzone. ‘Ready go.” Says coach Diaz.

“Why are we even running?” Questioned Tshombre to coach Diaz.

“Because people like to make me mad, I take it out on you guys.” Answered coach Diaz.

“Now that the other coach made him made we have to run a lot.” said Ka’ Lease

“I never said to stop! ‘That’s 5 more for everyone.” Said coach Diaz. “You're late son.”

“Yes coach I know i’m.” Not finishing his sentence because coach interrupted him.

“You have a mouth on you son, don’t disrespect me.” Said coach Diaz.

“You guys can stop running now. ‘Whats your name son?”

“My name is Colin.”

“Get suited up and take a lap then go with your teammates.” Demands coach Diaz.

“Yes coach.” Calmly answers Colin.

“Remember when Colin said he wasn’t gonna play football that day we were at practice?” Whispered Tshombre.

“Yahhh, he was mad so he was talking out of anger.” Responds Ka’Lease

“Oh yeah because you put him on blast.” Said Tshombre

Colin was most likely trying his hardest to not to talk to Ka’Lease and Tshombre even though he was probably tempted to talk to them. He told them that he wasn’t gonna play football because they were being rude, now he shows up 30 minutes late.

“Theres not a lot of time left in practice, so just go to any one of these stations that are setup. ‘You will be conditioning.” Said coach Diaz.
“Alright i'm bout to go to that station where you have to bear crawl.” Said Tshombre.

“Have fun!” sarcastically says Ka’Lease

“Aye whats Ka’Lease.” Asks Colin to Ka’Lease. While Ka’Lease just ignores him. “Okay just act like I never said something to you.”

“Alright everyone bring it in. ‘Its 6:25 and in 5 minutes you guys can go home, but first clean up the field take the tackling dummies to the storage garage.’Then come back and get a break.” Demands coach Diaz.

“Yes coach.” The team replies.

“Aye help us out don’t just stand there.” Group of kids said to Colin.

“Ight were done.” The whole teams says.

“Get a break on Tshombre.” Says coach Diaz.

“Intensity on three intensity on three 1,2,3 INTENSITY!” The team yells.

“How was Practice?” Ka’Lease(s) grandmother asks.

“It was good could have been better, ‘but i’m going to go take a shower.” Responds Ka’Lease.

“Okay and when you're done dinners ready.” Says his grandmother.

“Whats for dinner?” Asks Ka’Lease.

“Popeyes.” Responds his grandmother.

“Mhhmmmm! ‘Taste so good make you wanna slap yo momma.” Quoted Ka’Lease.
“Alright today is a new day i’m hoping to a have a better practice than we did yesterday.” Says coach Diaz. “Lets get dressed up and take a quick lap then do the stretches.” He added on.

“Yes coach.” The team yells.“Were done stretching and ran the lap coach.”

“Okay ummm whoever thinks they might play running back, quarterback, or receiver stand on the 20 yard line. The rest of you stand on the 25 yard line. Right now were giving you guys your positions based on how good you are.” Says coach Diaz.

“Colin you're not playing quarterback.” Says Tshombre.

Now that everyone got their positions everyone is some what happy not everybody got the position they wanted. Or either someone else was better at that position so you got 2nd string.

“Alrighty now lets do defense. Db’s stand on 20 yard line including linebackers then lets have D-line on the 25 yard line.” Say’s coach Diaz.

“Okay we have our first game next week. So tomorrow's practice will be a little harder.” Said coach Diaz.

“I’m so tired from practice.’’ Said Ka’Lease to Tshombre.

“I know tell me about it, and he said tomorrow’s practice was gonna be harder.’’ Answered Tshombre.

The 5 day at practice and everyone is already complaining that they're sore and what not. The season hasn’t really even started yet but mostly its the linemen who are complaining.

“Coach i’m not trying to tell you how to coach the team but maybe we need to give our players room to breath at practice everyone is complaining about how sore they are.” Said coach Bup.

“Stop kissing up to these boys, they came to play football. Not volleyball so we are going to get them in shape for our all star game. I want to make sure we go out and punch this team in the mouth.’’ Says coach Diaz.

“Dang today is going to be a hard practice.” Said the team.

“I know that yesterday I said it was going to be a hard practice but i’m going to be nice and take it easy on you guys. But if you guys start screwing around i’m going to make you run 5 times the amount of times I see someone playing around.’’ Says coach Diaz.

“Don’t be playin around. Im not trying to run today.” Says Colin.

“You don’t even run at practice anyways.’’ Says Tshombre.

“Ight take a quick lap and then start stretching.” Said coach Bup.

“Yes coach.” The team replied.

As the kids were running their warm up lap coach Bup goes and talks to coach Diaz about how the kids where going to thank him. Well not actually thank him but they're going to be thinking it.

“Let’s get 5 lines, for stretches.” Says Ka’Lease.

“Alright coach were done, want us to run first offense.” Asked Ka’Lease.

“Go head.” Said coach Bup.

“Alright lets get this done no goofing around in my huddle or in my offense or else we can put your secondary in for you. You got that.” Demands Ka’Lease

“Yup.” Says everybody in the huddle.

“We are going to run right red 47.” Says Ka’Lease. “DOWN SET READY GO!” He yells.

“Okay now let me get a scout offense and first defense, Hustle up.” Coach Bup yells.

It's game time and now the whole team should be ready to play although some of them probably have butterflies in their stomachs. They should still play good and hopefully they win. Coach Diaz didn’t put them through all that conditioning for no reason.

“Alright guys it’s time to shine i want you to go out and punch these guys in the mouth.” Says coach Diaz.

“Yes coach.” The team yells.

“Alright let’s get the team captain out there if we win the coin toss we are going to defer and if we lost the coin toss we are going to receive with the wind to our backs.” Says coach Diaz.

“Lets get first offensive on the field.” Said coach Bup.

“DOWN SET HIKE!!” Ka’Lease Yells.

“Great pass Ka’Lease.” Says all the coaches.

“Ok the play is left red 47.” Lets go tshombre.” Says Ka’Lease.

They give tshombre the ball and he moves it for another 15 yards until he gets tackled. They try gold and the wide receiver scores the touchdown. The defense is unstoppable the opposing team can not go more than 5 yards a play. “Good game guys.” said coach Bup.

“Party at coaches house everyone.” Says the team.

“It wasn’t that good of a game.” Sarcastically says coach Diaz. ‘Go home and get some rest you guys need it because we have a hard practice on monday.”

“Alright get a break then go home.” Responds coach Bup.

Now that the team won the all star game you would have thought coach Diaz would have been happy but since our team caused a fumble and the defense almost recovered it. Coach is going to be mad.
Most of the team has been playing for almost 5 years now but