A Short Tale of E and Z | Teen Ink

A Short Tale of E and Z

By Sof0416, Omaha, Nebraska
Sof0416, Omaha, Nebraska

I'm writing down this event just in case I forget, although that is quite unlikely. Call me paranoid but I just can't help having a feeling I will forget some very important detail if I don't. Besides, I'm writing in Greek, so even if I forget this or have my memory swiped again, I will be one of the few people able to read it. I won't tell you, or whomever this may be, who or what I am or who my friend is or even where we found the location of another. That information is too vital and dangerous to fall into the wrong hands. I have more enemies then I can count and this is definitely information they would want. Anyway, I'll get on with the story of how I, once again, almost ended up dead.

I probably should have learned by now not to listen to what the visions show me. I remember being in a bookstore a quarter before nine at night when the vision came. Usually they are set off by something I see, do, smell, touch, or hear, but I still have no idea why this vision came to me right then. I guess I should count my blessings that I wasn't doing anything really important at the time. Sometimes, like when I'm fighting, they just happen to show up, but this vision sure didn't hold back on the pain.

I felt the pain in my head right under my forehead. It felt as if someone threw a knife right above my eyes. I clinched my hands on the book I was holding as I was thrust somewhere deep into my head.

I was on an empty street in front of some sort of building. It looked abandoned and unused for a long time, at least that's how it appeared to be. I knew from experience not to judge something by how it looks on the outside. Then I spotted a sign on the old, wooden door. It wasn't written in English or even in anything I had ever seen before. Although, after a few seconds the letters started moving around, adjusting to become the language I wanted it to be. The English words that were now on the sign, said (I will call it by its acronym) "TBOTD".

My heart started racing, this is what my friends and I have been looking for, for months, another entrance to one of the (acronym) BOTW. Then, as I'm about to open the door to look inside, I get pulled back into the present.

I must have dropped the book I was holding because the I next thing I knew was that (I'll call him Z) Z was there in a flash in front of me holding the book.

"Are you alright, (I'll call myself E) E?" He asks while looking around. I even see his eyes dilate and change to a purplish color. Looking for spirits I'm sure aren't there.

"It's not them. They aren't here. You or I would have sensed them if they were." I pointed out.

"They've been too quiet. They haven't tried anything in almost two weeks." He replied, finally looking at me.

Just in case I forget, I better describe what Z looks like and who he is. First of all, he is one of my very best friends who, like me, is not entirely human, but that's classified. How we look is the complete opposite. While he has shaggy straight, black raven hair and night sky eyes. I have long, curly blonde hair with cloudy gray eyes. He is tall, muscular, and has an aura around him that says "don't you dare mess with me", where I am short but not too short, not really as in shape as he is, and have this innocent look to me. See, complete opposites. Personality wise, we're pretty much the same. Both of us don't really let anyone in to what we are feeling or thinking. We are strategists in a fight and when it comes to deadly situations, we both want to take on the most risky part so others don't have to. Anyways, back to the situation at hand.

"Yeah, well, they're not here. I need to tell you about my vision." He goes back to looking around the place, looking for hidden enemies. "I SAID I need to tell you about my BRIDGE VISION." That gets his attention.

"Don't say that so loud. You don't know who's listening." He says this while giving me a death glare. If looks could kill, I'd definitely be dead.

"Well, we have to go find it. Right now, before it moves."

"We're not all together right now and I don't want -"

"I know, I know," I say, cutting him off and waving my hand in the air. "I don't mean to destroy it right now. I just want to find it, anchor it so it won't move, and destroy, it maybe tomorrow or the next day."

Besides I don't want to go and get everyone else, especially if I have to face him. He being the boy I just broke up with because of the fight that we had about me have feelings for Z. I wasn't even sure if he was wrong about that but that didn't mean I didn't deny it. I could barely think of his name let alone write it down now, but that's not what's important, the story is important.

He sighs. I already know what he's going to say. He'll agree but he will say that I can't leave his sight, that I will have to let him handle all the others like us, and that I shouldn't use my "secret weapon" at all costs unless its absolutely necessary. After I reluctantly agree to his demands, we walk out into the fading light of the sun to a safe place to transport.

Transporting for us isn't using a car or anything like that, it's visualizing where we want to go and using one of our elements to get us there. Since I don't see any harm in saying what ours are, I'll write it down. Z's is fire while mine is, shocker, the opposite, water. Since I'm the only one who can picture it, I am the one who transports us there. The good news: we are in the general area. The bad news: I have no idea where to go.

"I'm guessing this isn't where it really is. You must only be able to transport so close to it," Z says, while looking at my confused expression. We both look around the old, dirty buildings that look exactly the same. "Well, I guess you could recall the vision and look around for any distinct markings."

Instead of replying, I started relaxing my shoulders, breathing deeply in and out, and closing my eyes. I concentrate on door, the abandon building, the smells, and sounds I heard but didn't really listen to. Recalling the vision once more. Usually if I have already seen a vision, I can recall it by just picturing it in my head, but for some reason I couldn't do it. The pain was there as if the vision was trying to get to me but something was blocking it.

I gasp. "The darn bridge is blocking my vision to see where it's located."

"Calm down, it's not the end of the world." I give him a pointed look. "Just feel for it. It can't be that far from here."

Feel for it, he said. He knew that if I did that, I would have to use my "secret weapon". At least a very small degree of it and that required a lot of concentrated as it was. I do the same thing I did to recall the vision but this time I was feeling for the Bridge. I was looking for that gravitational pull toward it and I found it in the general direction behind me.

I swiftly turned backward and started forward, with Z right behind me. We didn't talk or anything, which was nice and horrible at the same time. Nice in the sense that it was quiet and comfortable but horrible because my mind was free to wander to my problems. One of which being my now ex-boyfriend who I did not want to think about at all. All I felt when thinking about him was guilt for maybe having feelings for Z. Okay alright, having feelings for him. Sometimes I swear Z can read my mind, because he asked the question I was really hoping he wouldn't.

"Why didn't you call your boyfriend to come with you? I'm sure you would rather be with him then with me." His tone was joking but I could hear the slight edge to his voice.

I shook my head and opened my mouth to say I didn't want to talk about it or maybe tell him to shut up, but he beat me to it. "And don't tell me you don't want to talk about it. I know you two broke up I just want to know why. So, please tell me."

Before I could reply, several things happened at once. The first thing was the dragon, the second, another vision. In the vision I was running through a forest, trying desperately to get away from something, but I wasn't sure what. All I knew or rather what we knew, was that we had to get away. I was someone else, in some other time. Middle 1800s was my guess, although I could be wrong. The girl's thoughts rushed into my head, making it hard to know which thoughts were who's. Of course, since this already happened, the girl can't hear my thoughts, but I sure could hear her thoughts.

I'm surprised when the creature catches us. Since the girl is human and having weak senses, I couldn't tell what creature it was but I knew right then the girl wouldn't survive. The pain clouds our mind when it bits our arm and throws us back. We hit a tree and fall into a heap on the ground below. Although I don't want to do it, the girl tries to get up, but it's in vain. The creature looms over us, it breath is all we can smell. And right as it's about to go for the kill, I am thrown back into the present just in time to almost get torched.

Visions don't last for more than a few seconds, no matter long the vision seems or how long the real event took place. Z is there in a flash, taking my arm and pressing my back against one of the buildings, covering me with his body. The fire from the dragon hits Z, but since his element is fire, he's fire resistant. Me? Not so much.

I feel the pain in my arm ease as it heals. It's one of my abilities as well as one of Z's, too. Finally, after my bite mark is almost completely healed, the fire dies and we're able to move. First thing about dragons, they are hard to kill or rather a better term is destroy because once they are killed, they are reborn somewhere else. Besides the magical breath that differs from different kinds of dragons, they only have one weak spot in which they can be killed and it's different for each one. Surround by skin that can't be penetrated, it's quite difficult to find.

To put more icing on the already perfect cake of chaos, we finally found the door to the bridge and oh, I forgot to mention the dragon is in front of it.

"So much for them being quiet," Z says. I realizes that's why the dragon is here. It's here because of them. It here to take me to them alive, although the reason I can't say, too secret. "I'll take the dragon, you anchor the door, then we'll get out of here."

"Piece of cake," I say. "There is one problem though. The dragon was sent here to take me, not you. If it gets the chance it will kill you!"

"Just do it, please. We don't have time to argue about it."

So that's what we do, Z fights the dragon while I try to get to the door. At first it doesn't work because it keeps turning back on me. I sigh. I have to do it. I have to be the distraction. I look at Z and as if he knew I would look at him, he looks at me. I feel an electric jolt. He knows what I'm trying to say and understands it has to be that way so we switch.

I won't go into detail about the fight, because that's not really important. Except for the last part where I slay the dragon, but why is the reason I do it. Just as Z got to the door, the dragon turned. It knows it can't kill him with fire, so the dragon goes for another approach, eat him. I get a vision right before it happens and, thank goodness, it's about what is going to happen in about five seconds. If I don't use the "secret weapon" Z will die by being eaten, but if I do, I may lose control and kill myself in the process of using it. I have five seconds to make my decision. Really, I'm upset with myself that I even considered, for a half of second, that I wouldn't save him.

I let the power course through me, devour me. I hold out my hands and release the power and aim it at the beast. I know what I said about the dragon being very hard to kill and everything unless you knew its weak spot, but my magic allows me to destroy it without knowing where that spot is. So, after a few seconds, there is nothing left. Nothing at all, except a very surprised and unhappy Z. I must have used more of it then I thought because the next thing I know is that Z is catching me as I fall.

"Did you anchor the door?"

"Yes, I did and you broke your promise about using your "secret weapon"."

"I had no choice. It would have killed you if I didn't and -"

"So what! Rather me then you. You could have died using all of that magic."

"Well, I'm not, you're not. All's well. No harm done."

He shakes his head. "Come on, let's go home before your mom kills me for bring you home late."

I suddenly get out of his warm, strong arms. "What time is it? We can't be late my mom will kill me." I take out my phone and see that it says it's almost ten thirty. "Come on let's go. We have to be back really, really soon." Before I can even look up at him, he grabs my arm and transports us to my front door.

"So, we'll have to tell everyone else about the door tomorrow and plan to go in and destroy it," Z says.

"Yeah," is all I can think of to say. I'm still surprise by the quick traveling.

As I turn to leave he grabs my arm again and turns me to face him. "You still didn't answer my question before the dragon came."

Was it so bad I thought he might have forgotten? "Well, it was just..." I sigh. "We had a disagreement about something and it just broke us up, that's all."

He nods his head but I know he'll ask about it tomorrow. And before I can say good night he lends over, kisses my cheek and turns. I stand still, shocked by what he just did. As he gets off of the last step and on to the sidewalk he turns around and says "Sweet dreams, E."