Adventurer John Jensen | Teen Ink

Adventurer John Jensen

By jason feinberg, Santa Barbara, California
jason feinberg, Santa Barbara, California

Author's note: I wrote this story two years ago

It was a warm day, the sun was beating on my chest as I reclined in my lawn chair. I looked over to my buddy and said, “ It doesn’t get much better than this, except for that time in South America.”
Rodgers said, “ You sure got that right!” We both laid back down in our high-end, plastic lawn chair. In the distance we could hear a large bird crowing softly. Suddenly my phone rang and I nearly fell out of my chair. I looked at the caller ID and saw it was Hendrickson. I put the phone on silence and sat back down.

“Was that Hendrickson?”
“ Ya, but I already told him I’m on my month off I ain’t picking up my phone. He probably wants us to do another assignment, but I ain’t doin’ any assignments for him on my vacation.”
“ Don’t worry, you’re doin’ the right thing.” The phone rang a few more times but I just tuned it out
“ You should probably just see what he wants.”
I thought about it for a minute and said, “ Fine, but even if he wants us to do something, you can count me out!” I picked up the phone and said, “ What do you want? You promised me you wouldn’t call me.”
“There is a plane at the airport waiting to escort you. We will talk when you get here. See you then.”
“Wait but you said that...He cut me off! Can you believe that?!”
“ You know what...I can.”
“ Should we go?”
“ I suppose, I’m sure he will make up our vacation.” “ I’m not sure I want to go on a flight from California to Australia.”
“ Don’t worry John, and besides, it’s a free flight.” We went inside changed, packed our bags, and left.

When we got to the airport we went to the private jet section. I gave the person behind the desk our names and he told me to go out the third door on the left. In front of us was a massive jet and standing by the doorway there were these two big buff men in suits with their ties flying up and down and they said to us,
“ You’re late, get in.” When we got in the plane, the two men closed the door and walked off. We saw a man who looked at us and told us to sit down. I sat next to Rodgers. The man’s name was Michael. He gave us a short description of what Hendrickson wanted us to do.
“I’m sorry this popped up on such short notice, but we believe that on an island near French Polynesia called Aruarest there are ancient artifacts that have come from aliens if you would.”
“ So why couldn’t this wait until after our break?”
“Well, we have scanned the island and it says that it is quickly collapsing on itself.”
“ So why do we have to do this, your company has other great men that could do this assignment.”
“ Actually we sent them first but we lost signal with them so we assumed they didn’t complete the mission. Here is a packet about everything you will need to know.” He handed us a brown portfolio that had a description of the island, pictures, etc... We examined this for about an hour and then I went to sleep

I was in a small boat all by myself. The boat was rocking back and forth from the ferocious waves. I was soaked from the water splashing everywhere. Suddenly, an enormous wave lurked above me. I braced for the impact. In my head, I count 1...2...3. The wave hit me and I fell off the couch. The plane was rocking violently, and I was sweating like crazy. I stood up and reached over for a glass of water, but only managed to get a small amount of it in my mouth.
The captain says, “ Sorry about the turbulence. The air over Australia is a bit dry which makes a lot of air pockets. We’ll be landing in a few minutes.

When we landed I told Rodgers, “ It feels good to be on the ground again.”
“ You can say that again.” As we walked off the plane, we could smell the hot rubber from the plane tires on the steaming asphalt. Michael walked out in front of us and told us to follow him. He escorted us to a limo which took us to a large building on the coast of Perth. We walked inside, but we didn’t need to do anything because Micael took care of everything. He led us to a room that had huge doors. He gestured for us to go inside. Rodgers grabbed the door handle and pulled the door open. Inside was a large table, and at the end Hendrickson was waiting for us.
He said, “ It’s good to see you again, but we don’t have time to chat.” He stood up and walked past us. We followed him outside of the immense room. He continued, “ Outside there is a large seaplane that has everything you need in it. If you can complete this assignment, you will be paid handsomely and you will get an extended break with zero calls from me.” He chuckled a little and opened the door that led to the dock. We walked over to the door of the sea plane and got in. Rodgers was always a better pilot, so I let him be the pilot. We got situated, did our preflight checklist and got ready for take off. Gradually, we got faster and faster until we were completely in the sky. I mapped out exactly how long it would be until we got to Aruarest.
“ It’s not too far, only 726 miles. Do you think that this plane can go that far?”
“ We might just make it, and besides we have extra fuel for the ride home.”
“ Ya, I guess you’re right. If you don’t mind, I’m goin’ to go to sleep.”
“what is it with you sleeping on planes?”
“ I don’t know.”

I was rudely woken up by load roaring of thunder. I looked at Rodgers and noticed something was out of place. I asked Rodgers what was wrong.
Rodgers looked at me with his wide eyes and yelled, “ We’re out of fuel and to put some in I need to go on the wing. We can’t land because there is a storm. Also, we’re about 60 miles from our destination.” Even though Rodgers was gliding the plane nicely, it was extra hard for him to fly it without fuel in a storm because that meant there was no resistance on the winds. He gallantly said, “ I have to go out there and refuel.”
“You’re crazy! Are you trying to kill yourself?!”
“ If I don’t we will both die!”
“ Be careful.” He made a harness out of a rope and put a gasoline tank on it. He hooked the extra rope to the latch to the door. Slowly he started climbing outside and onto the wing. On the radio he told me he has successfully poured in one tank of gasoline. He threw the gasoline tank off the plane and started making his way back. Eventually I saw his hand grab the top of the door. He quickly jumped inside. It seemed as if he fell in the ocean he was so wet from rain and sweat. He jumped back in the captains seat and continued flying. He turned back on the two engines. I hear a loud explosion of some sort. About ten minuets after the explosion, The plane rocked violently, and then a huge crack. Rodgers operates the plane while I run around frantically thinking of something to do. Suddenly, I could see a huge crack in the middle of the fuselage that was quickly getting bigger and bigger. At that point two things went through my mind; I could run up to Rodgers but risk falling through the crack, or I could hold onto something and wait for the plane to hit he water. I stuck with option two. I found a rope and tied myself to the bed in the back of the plane. I waited for what seemed like hours but nothing happened. I got off guard and was about to untie myself when the back of the plane bent backwards and was only being held onto by the floor. I Vomited of shock and was now very weak so I couldn’t climb to cockpit where Rodgers was. I could see reality slipping away from me. I kept my eyes open, but it was no worth. The last thing I remember was falling to the ocean thousands of feet below. I was Spinning around in circles. I felt like I was in a gyroscope.

When I woke up I was in a small piece of the fuselage all by myself, the boat was rocking back and fourth from the ferocious waves. I was soaked from the water splashing everywhere. Suddenly, an enormous wave lurked above me. I brace for the impact. In my head, I count 1...2...3. The wave hits me but I don’t wake up on a couch, instead I am swimming up to the surface of the ferocious waves that ate me up. I make it back to the fuselage. Although I was wondering where Rodgers was, that wasn’t the first thing on my agenda. Saving myself came first! I got back on the bed and tied myself back in. Salty water splashed in my face and I coughed over and over again. Then, out of nowhere I saw a land formation that had a small fire on it. Luckily, that was where the current was taking me. I laid back down and said to myself it will just be a few more minuets, but those minutes felt like hours. Choking on salty water and getting near extreme hypothermia, I realized I only had a few more minutes to live if I didn’t get to land. I decided I was going to try and surf the waves onto the island. I broke off the mattress and took the wood slab the bed was on and jumped in the water. It was blistering cold, but not much worse than it already was. I didn’t have the energy to stand up, nor did I want to risk falling off, so I laid on the wood until I reached land. I was about thirty feet from the shore when I decided the current couldn’t push the board any further. I jumped off the board, and to my dismay there was a huge drop off of about 50 feet, so I had to swim to shore. It wasn’t until I was five feet from the shore when I could touch the ground. I walked a little further until I found a small cave constructed by some sort of animal made from rocks, leafs, and bones. I was so physically and mentally exhausted that I decided to start my search for Rodgers tomorrow. The thing was, I didn’t realize he was looking for me.

I woke up in a daze. I was only half sure of where I was and had almost no idea of where Rodgers. I learned that when you are half conscious, you should ask yourself simple questions; “what color is the sky? Green? no no wait...blue! How old are you? 36. What is six times two? Eight...” I repeated through this process until I could answer every question correctly. Before I could start looking for Rodgers, I had to eat something, so I looked around in the cave I was in. There were a few dead birds pilled up on each other right in front of me. Although the smell was horrific, I had no choice but to eat it. “ Come on, if bear gyrls can do this you can.” I slowly started gnawing at the breast of the bird until I broke the skin and got to the meat...and guts. I had to gut the bird before I could eat it. I slowly started to pick out every individual, sticky, smelly organ until there was only meat left. I started slowly bitting into the disgusting meat until I had enough energy to get up and move around. “ Yummy... protein!” I had no prior memory from the last night. I all knew was that I was on an island by myself and that I needed to find Rodgers or his corpse. Suddenly, the leaves just outside the cave started rustling. I decided to cover myself up with leaves and bones. I then curled up and waited for the creature to pass, but to my streak of bad luck the animal came inside. It didn’t come to close to me, but it went towards a pile of fish and started eating. I turned my head every so slightly and saw what the beast was. To my disbelief, it was an alligator of some sort that was standing on two legs and speaking in a sort of language. I made it out to be German, but I wasn’t too sure. I decided that the ‘manigator’ was about ten feet from me, so I was going to break for it. He bent down to eat some more fish, so I just ran as my life deepened on it, which it did.

The second I ran out of the cave I headed for the forest of tropical trees, palm and coconut trees. I got a good distance away, but I didn’t see anything, so I kept going. I wasn’t sure where I was going, but I was going away from the manigator. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my bag with me, so I took my pocket knife and climbed up a coconut tree. I made quick and hard strokes until the coconut fell. The hard part was cutting it open. I stabbed it a few times until I got a few drops of coconut milk. It doesn’t get much fresher than that. I sat down and drank the droplets of milk until I couldn’t get anymore out. Now I was hydrated, fueled up, and would be okay for the rest of the day. I started by scouting out the area. I was about a mile from the sea, half a mile from the mountain, and three miles from where I suspect the plane crashed.

End of part one