Diary of a Teenage Spy | Teen Ink

Diary of a Teenage Spy

By British_Maddie BRONZE, Sydney, Other
British_Maddie BRONZE, Sydney, Other

When words fail.. music speaks

My whole life I’ve been trained to be an agent for British Intelligence. Both my mother and father have been agents since before I was born. I guess you could say it’s the family business. My parents are agents in MI6, as am I. But before I get into anything deeper there are three things you must know. First, that my name is Andrea, but Andy for short. Secondly, that I am on a mission to protect the U.S. president’s son while he is in school here. Third, that I am only sixteen. I am the youngest agent in the history of MI6.

When I was five it was blatantly obvious that I was far more advanced than the others in my class. I skipped three grade levels. MI6 decided that, being the daughter of two of their most successful and talented agents, they could sort of home school me. If a top secrete facility in the middle of London was home. They taught me languages, combat, weaponry, advanced maths, chemistries and physics, and the aspects of almost every culture in the world.

I know you are probably wondering why I need so much training to just protect the president’s son, but that isn’t my only mission. There is a student at the boarding school that I will be undercover at, whose parents are members of the Russian mob. I am to get close to him, try and get information, and possibly meet and infiltrate the family. I need to gather as much intel. as possible on the Pettroski family, and I have to do it soon. Someone in MI6 heard from one of their informants that the Pettroski’s were planning an attack on British soil. My job is to not let that happen. This is my journal of everything that happens. The president’s son arrives tomorrow. I hope he is at least tolerable. Well good night.

Day 1. August 8th 2012.

The president’s son arrived today. He is delightful! If you didn’t pick up on it, that was complete and total sarcasm. He does nothing but complain. ABOUT EVERYTHING!! He complained about the food, the temperature, the smells, even me! He said he didn’t want a “sissy” trying to protect him. I want to show him who the bloody “sissy” really is. He absolutely infuriates me. When he got his schedule he complained about how hard and heavy his work load is. He is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know that I will be able to put up with him. I realize that he is in a new country and doesn’t know a soul, but he doesn’t have to act like he is being held here against his will.

I also met Ivan today. I couldn’t have asked for a better mark. He is dashing and intelligent and most pleasant to be around. We were able to chat for a bit. He’s a right young intelligent guy. Getting to know him and acting as though I have feelings for him won’t be that hard. I will now copy the exact dialog that transpired between us for later investigation.

I felt someone bump into me. “I’m sorry,” said a deep, husky voice. I knew immediately that the accent was Russian. Having already memorized the student guide, I knew that the only Russians at the school were Ivan and his sister. “Don’t mention it. Is that a Russian accent I detect,” I asked in my sweet, flirtatious voice. “Indeed it is. Ivan Perttroski.” He reached for my hand and bent his head forward and kissed my hand. His lips were so soft against my skin. But that doesn't matter; I have to keep my mind on the mission. “Andrea McCormick. But my friends call me Andy.” I’m fairly certain I blushed. “Well I certainly hope that we become friends Andy. Great friends.” I couldn't help but notice how beautiful his smile was…. Snap out of it Andy. He’s a mark. A target. A way in. That’s all. Stop going all bloody goo-goo over him. “I hope so as well. It was lovely meeting you Ivan.” “Nice to meet you as well. See you around.” As he turned and walked off I managed to slip a bug into is book bag. I think it’s time to listen to it. “Gretchen, I met this girl today. Her name is Andy. Gretch, she’s beautiful.” Ok so obviously no useful information, other than the fact that it shouldn't be that hard to get close to him. Well I'm going to go take a shower and then off to bed. I will update tomorrow.

Day 2. August 9, 2012

I have every class with Preston and Ivan. Oh, Preston is the president’s son so that was to be expected. But what I didn't expect was for Ivan to have the same advanced schedule. This morning he walked into the cafeteria and I smiled and waved at him, ignoring a snide remark from Preston about him being an over muscled air head. He got his tray then asked if he could join us for breakfast. I said yes at the same time Preston said no. I nudged Preston under the table. Ivan sat in the chair across from me. He smiled at me, “Mornings suit you well Andy.” “Thank you” I was quick to answer so that Preston wouldn't have a chance to get ugly with him. I still find it odd that I felt protective of him. “I hope you slept well." He turned towards Preston," Hello. My name is Ivan Perttroski. And you are?” He extended his hand towards Preston. I remember my breath catching, hoping that Preston would act like a decent human being. “Preston,” he mumbled and shoved his hand out. After that, Preston gathered his things and mumbled a “see you in class Andy” and vanished out of the doors. The body guard part of me knew I should have followed after him but the girl part of me wanted to stay with Ivan.

I sat there as Ivan ate. I steadily picked at my food. He stared at me with a smile on his face. “Looks like I’m not his favorite person in the world,” he said simply. “He is just being a spoiled brat because his parents made him come to school here.” Once again I don’t know why I felt the need to defend another boy. He smiled this crooked smile... my heart rate shot through roof. Andy stop. Don’t go there. You cannot let yourself fall for him. I will not. “Well I hope things get better for him. Are you his friend?” he inquired. And there it was… the question that I had yet to figure an answer to. I couldn't exactly tell him that I was Preston’s body guard. “I’m his cousin,” the lie came out smoothly. I took my iPhone out and sent a quick text to Preston:

Me: Preston if anyone asks how we know each other I’m your cousin from London. K?

Preston: Okay. Does it have to be cousin? What if our dads were best-friends in school or something?

Me: That works. See you in class!:)

I smiled up and Ivan. “Well technically our dad’s were best-friends in school. It’s kind of funny that I call the president of the U.S. my uncle.” There, that should be sufficient. “So, you aren't really related to him?” he asked. “No, just feels like it.” After I said this the twenty minutes bell rang. Meaning we had twenty minutes till first hour. “Well I have advanced history first hour, so I better get going,” I tell him. A happy smile spreads across his face. I couldn't help but thinking this was going to be too easy to get him to like me. “I happen to have that as well. Care to walk with me?” Shocked, I gather my things, smile and reply “Sure”. He walked me to class. Oh, and by the way, wwe had a bloody pop quiz on the first day of class. Not that I didn't ace it, but I’m fairly sure ninety percent of the class failed. I mean what kind of teacher gives a quiz on the first day of school? But, that’s not the point. Preston has eased up some on me and everyone. My roommate is from America. She talks all the time. I do mean ALL the time. So far I know the names of all seven of her brothers. Yes, I said seven. She’s moved around a lot. Haley is her name. She’s a junior like me. I really think I’m going to have to pull the whole pressure point thing on her to just get her to sleep. Oh well. That’s all for tonight.

Day 3. August 10, 2012

This morning Ivan sat with me again. I wonder if this is going to be an everyday event. He just sat there. Every now and then he would throw in a random question like “what’s your favorite color?” and “where were you born?” which the latter of the two was classified seeing as my parents were undercover.

Ivan had the bluest eyes. I could have stared at them all day. Andy stop. You are treading on dangerous water. Cardinal rule number one? Never, under any circumstances do you get emotionally involved with a mark. It can get you killed or made faster than any other mistake. I have to stay focused. I can't blow this operation. It's vital. Ivan might be sweet and handsome, but that doesn't change who he is. What he will be when he is grown. That's who I have to remember. This is dangerous. His family is dangerous. I just don't understand how he can be so sweet coming from that family. Maybe that's how they became so powerful, their charm and wit. Who knows? Preston just texted me. He needs help. I'll write more later.

August 10, 2012. Midnight.

Well that was certainly interesting. Preston didn't need help at all. He just simply wanted to talk. We talked for three hours about nothing in particular. We talked about classes, the kids here, he even asked me if I missed home. I told him of course I do. I asked him if he wished he could go home, he replied by saying no. He is glad to be away from the craziness. He told me his mother hasn't been the same since they moved into the White House. "All she worries about social events and making sure she looks picture ready at all times", he told me. "And dad? Well let's just say he doesn't have time to be a father and the president." He really just wants his parents to pay him some attention. Maybe that's why he acts out so much. He just wants to be noticed by his parents. I have decided that maybe Preston isn't as bad as he seems. Well I'm right knackered. That's all for tonight.

Day 4, August 11, 2012

This morning I received a text from Preston saying "Good morning." I quickly sent back a reply which sparked a conversation. Here it is:

Me: Good Morning. Are you used to the time difference yet?

Preston: Not quite but I'm getting there. Hey, thanks for last night.

Me: Why are you thanking me?

Preston: Because you listened. No one really listens to me anymore and it felt nice to just have someone to talk to.

Me: I'll always listen to you. If you ever need to talk you have my number. See you at breakfast!:)

I made my way down to the caf. I walked through the door and started looking for Preston. When I found him, he was talking to a girl whose name I knew was Ana. As I wrote before, I've memorized the student directory. She's from France. She flipped her hair and giggled, yes giggled, at something Preston said. For some reason, of which I'm not entirely sure I want to know, I felt jealous or possessive. I walked over and asked him where we were sitting this morning At the same time I asked that Ivan and his sister Gretchen walked in. Preston mumbled something under his breath about "as far away from him as possible." Ivan walked up to me with that same crooked grin that sky rockets my heart every time and said, "Can we join you?" I looked at Preston who just looked down, then back to Ivan and replied, "Actually, this morning I think me and Preston are going to sit alone and catch up on some things. Maybe I'll see you at lunch. See you in class Ivan." I looked at Preston who had a wide grin on his face. He gathered his things walked to a table for two. I sat down and we began to talk. The whole time through breakfast he wore a huge grin. The only way I can describe it is well, dorky. And for some reason, it made my heart flutter. I don't want to think about why it did. Not now at least. It's late and I'm tired.

Day 5, August 12, 2012.

So today has been very eventful. I heard from the headquarters that an agent has heard mumblings on some wire taps about a possible attempt on kidnapping Preston, but that they aren't sure because it's coded. They told me to be on high alert, but not to worry Preston. I've stuck to his side like glue. Which isn't such a hard task anymore. We've become quite close. He's very easy to talk to. He always asks stories about my unusual childhood. Not that I blame him about that. After all, how many kids grow up in a top secret facility learning how to kill someone and leave no trace? Preston makes me laugh. Talking so much about my childhood reminds me of my parents. Most of the time I start getting sad, but he does something to make me smile. Hmm I haven't listened to the bug I planted on Ivan in a while, maybe I should listen for a bit.

"Dad I just don't know that it is such a good idea." There was a slight pause, I'm guessing he is on the phone with his father. Spending so much time with Preston I've sort of let my mission with Ivan fall to the way side. I probably should get back to that. I sent him a text asking if he wants to go for a walk. On the bug I herd him tell his dad to hang on. "Dad I gotta go. I'm going to go for a walk with Andy. Yes the girl I told you about." Hmmm. So he has told his family about me. Interesting. My phone buzzed. His answer, which I already knew, was yes. I told him to meet me in front of my dorm in a few minutes. Preston texted me and asked about dinner tonight. I told him we'd meet around seven. I'll write more later tonight.

August 12, 2012. 11:30 pm

Well we went on the walk and it was wonderful. Ivan is so sweet, but I will not let myself fall for him. I have to keep in mind how dangerous he might be. He is the son the the Russian mob boss after all. But, I don't believe Ivan is bad. That doesn't matter Andy. Nurture verses nature. You've learned that since you were five. I'm a prime example of it. My roommate expects me to ooze info from the walk to her like we are "besties" in her words. She is NOT my idea of a best friend. She probably doesn't even know basic self defense moves. I told her I'm too tired. So let's listen to the bug I planted in his bag. "She's the girl that I dream about now. Those eyes, the way she laughs. I could be around her for hours and not get bored. She's amazing. Yes dad. I know what I'm doing. Yes Preston seems to be a problem. They are always together. Maybe he's just possessive because they have been friends so long. I don't know. I guess we'll see when I ask her out." So he's planning on asking me out. Hook, line, and sinker, he took the bait. Tomorrow should be interesting. All for now.

Day 6. August 13, 2012.

I was awakened this morning by my phone going off. It was Preston calling me. I answered it and as soon as I mumbled the words "Hello?", Preston's frantic voice boomed into the speaker, a bit too loud for six in the morning. "Someone trashed my room! I went for a walk at 5:30 like I always, and when I came back my room was trashed! I don't know if anything is missing, but please just come quick." He was scared. I could hear it in his voice. He needed me. Not only as a body guard, but as his friend. I was out of my room in no time flat. I got to Preston and made sure he was okay. I did a quick sweep of the room before I called MI6 head quarters to tell them about the break in. Whoever did it had been watching Preston. They knew he'd left his dorm at 5:30 to go on a thirty minute walk. They knew his schedule. I hadn't noticed anyone watching. For that, I was yelled at. I was given strict orders to not leave his side. Head quarters called the dean here and made arrangements for a cot to be brought to his room. I was to stay there tonight so if the intruder was to return, he wouldn't find just Preston. I was exactly comfortable with this, but it seemed to ease Preston's mind so I made the sacrifice. I told Preston to act as if nothing was wrong, like it didn't bother him, because if our creeper was still watching he would know Preston was scared. I had to be sure to act like Preston's friend instead of his body guard just in case.

Preston and I spent the rest of the day together. I avoided Ivan because I knew Preston needed me. Ivan's question could wait a day. I received a text from him this morning, after all the craziness had died down, asking if I could meet him this afternoon. I replied that we had to study and that we could talk tomorrow. He seemed a little sad about this, and i knew why, but Preston was my first priority. His safety is the most important thing. Preston is scared. I know he is. He is trying to act as though nothing happened but he admitted to me it is hard. Nothing was taken from his room, and we did a sweep for listening devices and found none, so then what were the looking for? That and the fact that they knew Preston's daily routine scares me.

Day 7. August 14, 2012.

Looks like I'll be staying in Preston's... for a while. This whole thing has sent me in to overdrive. HQ told me to put the mission involving Ivan on the back burner for awhile. To dodge him and focus solely on protecting Preston. Everyone is on edge after the wiretap hums and the room being trashed. We've changed up Preston's schedule. We never do anything on a schedule other than classes now. Last night, Preston confided in me. He's scared. He said he feels like something bad is going to happen. Seeing him like this, it makes me want to find the bastard that trashed his room. Preston, he seems like a child in so many ways sometimes, but at the same time, he is handling all of this in the way of a man. I've been ducking Ivan for a while now. In truth, it's harder than I thought it might be. He's so fun to be around. Its like when I'm with him, I forget who I am, what I am. The scariest part of it all, I forget who and what he is. That could cause a problem. I have to stay focused on this mission. I will not let anything come between me and protecting my country.

Preston told me that he doesn't like the way Ivan looks at me. Could it be that Preston is jealous of Ivan? Not necessarily of him, but of the attention I give him. Surely Preston doesn't expect me to not have friends, can he? Maybe I'll ask him. That's all for now, I'll write more after class.

August 14, 2012 4:00pm

So today during class Ivan passed me a note asking why I've been avoiding him. I wrote back and told him there was family stuff going on. He smiled sympathetically, as if he knew what I meant, and wrote back that he was sorry and if I needed him, he was there for me. Ivan wanted to go for a walk tonight to "talk about things" , but I'm not sure I should leave Preston alone for that long when I still don't know who is behind the trashing of his room. We haven't had anymore problems or scares but it has only been a day. I don't think I should push my luck. Then again, I do have a mission with Ivan. How am I supposed to get close to him and his family if I never hang out with him? I've decided to go for a walk with him after supper while Preston goes to the gym. More later..

Barnowl14 BRONZE, Seattle, Washington

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook"- Julia Child

I like it! Write Faster!

fall732 said...
on Jul. 18 2013 at 8:29 am
fall732, London, Other

"To go to school in a summer morn,
O! it drives all joy away;
Under a cruel eye outworn,
The little ones spend the day
In sighing and dismay."

I really liked it! I think next time you could write a bit more coz I wanted to read more! So keep writing!!