Angel Wings | Teen Ink

Angel Wings

May 28, 2013
By IrishRed BRONZE, thayne, Wyoming
More by this author
IrishRed BRONZE, Thayne, Wyoming
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
We all bleed the same color!


Author's note: My fiance Inspired me to write this. This is for you my sweet angel.

I walk through the hallway, trying not to make much noise. Last thing I wanted was those goddamn scientists coming after me. Every step I take sounds like it can be heard from a mile away, though it is only because I am scared. Scared and adrenalin rushed. What I was doing made me heart beat so fast that I thought it was going to explode before I ever got to the middle of the facility.
"three more steps turn left..... Now go straight and make a right..." making sure I take every step slowly.
"ten more steps and bingo. Center of the building" saying out loud quietly.
I grab the strap of my backpack and I set it on the ground and pull out a small bomb. I press a button and the small timer set for 20 minutes start going down. I smile and look around. In a few minutes, that bomb is going to go off and This place will be gone for good.
Turning to leave the room, I hear the scream again.... And this time it is much closer. I try to turn and walk out of the room but something pulls me back.
" ugh. Why do I have to be so damn curious". I walk to the room where I hear the screaming and I peek through the crack of the door. And what I see Stuns me. It's a girl. I watch as the scientists take a sample of her blood and put it in a vile and set it with all the other villes on the table. I watch her then look at my watch. 15 minutes left. I take a breath. Then kick the door open and grab the nearest scientist and slam his face into the wall. I turn and punch the second scientist in the face... Instantly knocking him out cold. I turn to the third who is standing on the other side of the table... Aiming a pistol to my head. I flick my wrist and I send a knife deep into his throat. Gasping for air, he falls to the ground... Dead.
I undo the girls Chains and pick her up. (passed out from the pain the scientists caused her)
I glance at my watch. 5 minutes left...
"s***. The fastest way is the roof" I say to myself as I sprint through the doorway and up the stairs. I burst through the door that goes to the roof and I run to the edge of the twenty story building. I look down. It was a jump I was willing to make. I take a few steps and then run and jump off the edge of the building.
Screaming as I fall to the ground.

Ok so here I am falling to my death with this girl sleeping on my back and the ground keeps getting closer. Letting go of the girl, I rip off my shirt and I let my wings unfold. Reaching over to the still sleeping girl, I grab her and pull her close to my chest and I push my wings down then back up. The ground Stops rushing to us and instead start going away from us. I start rising, riding the air currents away from the facility. Curious how the girl is I look down and I see the face of an angel. I start I get lost in the beauty before the building blows up behind me. Lost in her face I forget to keep flying and start to fall. I catch myself and Begin to fly to the south.
"The mountains in Montana about thirty minutes from here. There should be a place to stay for the moment."
Reaching a small valley i see an abandoned ski resort.
" that will work for the moment". I land gently near one of the buildings and I kick the door open. I walk into a room that looked to me like the lodge. I see a couch near by and set the girl down softly. She was beautiful, with black hair that went down to her shoulders and a figure to make any guy's jaw drop. I smiled and then clenched my stomach as it growled.
" they better have food in this dump". I walk around a bit till I find the kitchen. I begin to check each cupboard and in the third one I see ramen noodles and some canned soup. Turning on the stove, I empty three cans, and turn around and I see the girl standing behind me with fire in her eyes and a butchers knife in her hand. She raises her empty hand and points at me. " who are you"?

"who are you?" She repeats the question. I look into her eyes, then sit down on the counter.
"my name is Chris.". I say calmly as she stares me down.
" where am I?"
"your safe. To tell you the truth. I don't actually know where we are. Somewhere in Colorado I do believe". See looks at me, eyeing me. I notice that her hand that is holding the knife is white. And now starting to shake.
"you don't have to worry. I am not one of those bastards.".
"how can I trust you." I look into her brown eyes.
" if you want to trust me, you can. If you don't want to trust me, then you can leave. I'm not going to stop you."
I stand up and stir the soup. Then look back at her.
"but I you do decide to stay, I can promise that I will do everything in my power to make sure you stay safe". I whisper forcefully. She stares at me for a few seconds, then sets the knife down.
"is umm......is the soup done. I haven't really had a good meal in a while". She shows a weak smile and I nod. I grab a couple bowls and fill them up with the soup. I hand her hers and she walks back out into the lodge. I start to think to myself.
"come on you *******. Come get me. Come get your test subject".

"why is this guy helping me? Why did he save my life?". These thoughts kept running through my head as I sat there on the couch. I kept trying to tell myself that this guy is trouble and he is going to ditch me. But I couldn't shake the feeling of him wanting to help me. My head was throbbing and I was a bit shaky. But the soup was helping. I turn and watch as he walk out of the kitchen and walks over to the other couch and falls down into a slumped position. I watch as he closed his eyes and fell asleep. I watched as he breathed heavily.
"is he going to protect me". Getting up from the couch, I walk up some stairs that lead me to a small locker room. And i see the most beautiful gift that has ever been made. A shower stall. I smile and strip from me clothes and turn on the shower. Getting in I let the hot water burn my skin and let the dirt wash off my skin. I turn my head a bit and I notice that Chris is standing outside of the locker room staring at me. I don't do anything as my eyes watch him. I turn a bit and I see his jaw drop a bit. I smile.
"maybe I will stay with him for a while"

My eyes flutter open as I see the girl laying naked next to me. I smile and grab a near by blanket and I throw it over her body. I look around and I see my jeans and laying on the counter. Standing up, I walk over And put my jeans on. I start putting on a shirt when I hear a loud thud on the roof. I look up and hear some faint footsteps coming from the roof, then the smashing of glass. I smile and reach into my backpack and pull out my 38 revolver an some ammo. Keeping watch of the stairs, I walk over to the sleeping girl. I think to myself.
"you f*ers aint going to take her from me". I look at her and pull some earplugs out of my pocket and put them in her ears. They were a new type of ear plug. Not suppose to hear anything.
"I hope they work". Turning, I walk to the bottom of the stairs and wait for the first of many to get in my crosshairs.

I see white lights all around me. Blank faces and quiet words surround me. I know there is pain but I don't feel anything. The countless jabbing of needles and ounces of chemicals being pumped into my body, I was amazed I wasn't dead yet. I close my eyes and I think about how I got here. I was an adopted child and my parents( who were drug addicts and would do anything to get their dope) were arrested an locked away when I was the age of seven. I was put into a shelter for boys and I broke out at the age of ten. I lived on the streets for a year and a half. Then a group of people came and kidnapped me while I was sleeping in the local park. I was taken away and I haven't seen the blue sky since. Laying there and These scientists destroyed my body, I thought about what I used to look like. I was about 5'3" when they took me. I was skinny and I didn't have much muscle. I had copper hair and arctic blue eyes. I wasn't very sure what I looked like now. But I was sure I was taller.
I opened my eyes and I looked around. Nobody was there. It was just blackness that surrounded me. And I hear footsteps that make me snap back to reality.

My eyes open and I see a object standing at the top of the stairs, staring down at me with blood red eyes. Aiming the revolver, the creature jumps out towards me as a bullet goes through the chest. Hitting the ground in a crumpled up position. I put the barrel to its head and pull the trigger. Looking back up the stairs, three more walk in and glare down at me. I hear a slight growl, then the swish of air as I whip my revolver towards the creatures. Firing my gun faster than lighting, I drop two at the top as the third one dodges my bullet and tackles me to the ground. Crouched over me, I struggle to get my knife out of my boot. The creature snarls and I see the shining of teeth coming towards my throat. Wrong move. I head butt the creature and he rears back giving me the chance to grab my knife. With the flick of my wrist, I send the knife deep into its heart. I pick up my revolver and watch as the beast bleeds out.
"damn you scientists. Sending your dogs after me. There is no challenge in that." I mutter to myself. These beast are what the call the Wolves. They are human but have canine characteristics. And razor sharp teeth strong enough to break through steel. I walk over to the still sleeping girl and pick her up. Grabbing her clothes and my pack, I walk out to the grauge
"maybe there is a jeep out here". Flipping on the light, I laugh.
"my luck never fails". Sitting there collecting dust, was an 1950 Chevy truck. Setting the girl in the truck (amazingly still asleep), I start up the truck and pull out. After third minutes of driving, I look down at the girl and smile. She was cute. I felt my heart pound in my heart. I never felt this way before towards someone. Why did I help her In the first place? I thought to myself. Was it because I felt bad. Because I knew her pain. Or was it something else.

I open my eyes and look around. I was in a truck. I roll my eyes up and I see Chris driving. Smiling I lean up and kiss his cheek. I knew I had feelings for him, but I didn't know what he felt. Sitting up. I feel the blanket fall off my naked body an I blush. I glance out of my eye, I see Chris smiling as he points out my clothes. I pull on my shirt and pants then snuggle up close to him.
"where are we"? I ask softly.
"we are somewhere outside of the Colorado border". Looking out the window I see mountains and trees everywhere.
"it's beautiful". Not taking his eyes off of the road, I hear him whisper
"your beautiful". I smile and look in the rear view mirror and my eyes widen. " ummm Chris. We have company"

I whip my head around and see two jeeps and one truck on our tail.
" quick. Take the wheel." she reaches over as I crawl over her and let her get in the drivers seat.
"what are you doing!" I hear her yell at me as I grab my pack and throw it in the bed of the truck. "I'm doing what I do best". I crawl out the window and slide into the back. I feel a bullet graze my arm as I pull out my 12gauge shot gun and start firing.
"go to the left!" I yell out. She turns hard and two of the cars follow as the third flips and rolls.
"this is a dead end"! I hear her yell out. I stop firing and look forward. We were zooming towards a cliff and the bridge was gone.
"lock the steering wheel and put the cruise control on. Then get you ass back here!" I yell at her. I knew that if we stopped. We would be captured or killed. There was only one way and that was straight off. I watch the girl crawl into the bed and over to where I am.
" grab onto me. " she throws her arms around me and I jump out of the bed as the truck flies off the cliff. For a moment we were safe. Cause I knew i would let us fall for a while then I would release my wings. At least that's what I was hoping would happen until I felt the bullet go through my back.

I couldn't move my wings and we were falling to our deaths. I knew that my ability to fly is what was going to save us.
"well ****" I said as the wind took my breath away. I felt the girl wiggle out of my arms and hold me tight. I felt at peace for a second as we fell, then I realized we weren't falling anymore. I looked into the girl's eyes and I knew that she was like me. She had wings.
She was perfect. The thought ran through my mind till I passed out from the pain in my back.

3 days passed since we were chased off the cliff. I had healed up fairly quick ( because of a chemical in my body allowed my body to heal faster than normal) and we were both flying through the sky in formation. I looked at her and watched her as she flew next to me. She had black wings. Almost like a ravens wing. She was beautiful. Her black hair dancing around her face and a body that could make any man's jaw drop and eyes that sparkled like the stars in the nighttime sky. Smiling, I look down and started looking at the ground. There was nothing out here, but because of my bird-like vision, I was able to spot out a small town to my right. Seeing the town triggers a old memory in my brain.
"East third street. Dirt road. Four miles. Go left." I look at the girl and tell her to follow me.
I land in the town and act completely normal and the girl follows my footsteps. I walk around to the back of the closest building and see a motorcycle parked next to the dumpster. I walk over to it and hot wire it. The Harley roars to life and I get on and the girl hops on behind me, throwing her arms around me. I speed out and drive around the small town until I see the sign.
"East third street". I turn and follow it. Dirt road of course. Then I take a left and keep going.
After a few miles I come to a small lake and a house built next to it. I see a sign on the side of the house. But part of it is scratched out to where I can't read it. I drive up to the cute looking house and park. Hoping off the bike, I walk to the door and pick up the welcome matt that reveals a key. I stick the key in and unlock the door. Pushing the door open I signal to the girl to wait on the bike as I disappear into the house. There was quite a bit of dust in the house and I could tell no one has been out here in a while. I take a step and I hear the sound of glass breaking underneath my boot. Looking down I see a picture frame laying broken on the ground. I stoop down and pic the picture up and stare at it wondering who used to live here. I stare into it for a second before letting it slide from my fingers and fall back to the ground. Stunned, I stumble back outside and give her a slight nod and she gets off the bike and goes inside herself. I walk out to the waters edge and sit down on the grass. Laying back, I let a thought go through my mind.
" how can This be."

" what is wrong with him? Why is he sitting out there?" I couldnt figure out what was wrong. He walked out of the house fairly quick and now he is just sitting out there. Staring out across the lake. I walked through the house (which was actually really cute) and I saw a picture and frame laying on the ground. Reaching down, I pick up the picture and look at it. It was a sweet family picture, but the color was faded out. There were three people and a dog in the picture. Te people in the picture was a young looking couple and a baby. Maybe only a few months old. I looked at the date and the picture was taken 8-26-95. I looked at the date and remembered that chris's birthday was that day. I set the picture down and walked into a bedroom to my left. I saw a notebook next to another picture. I pick up the notebook and flip to the middle of the book.
"oh. It's a journal. Let's see what it says.
" Sunday the 26th today. Some strange things have been happening the past few days. I haven't been able to write about them because of work. Anyways. Today is our sons birthday and we are going to have our picture taken. He is such a special boy. We love him so much. Oh and I forgot to mention. He has a pair of Wing birthmarks on his back."
I stared into the book for the longest time. Then I took a look at the picture and gasped. It was Chris. As a young boy. This is where he used to live.

As I sat there on the front porch, I watched as Chris stood next to the waterline, skipping stones. God knew what was going through his name. He has been standing out there for a day already and I was starting to worry. I cleaned the house out after reading the journal. Watching him for a while I noticed there was a tear running down his face. He knows that he used to live here. He knows his family was here at one point. But there is no reason he should be acting like this. I looked away from him and watched the moon rise slowly over the trees. It was a warm night out and I was laying in a hammock that was set up on the front porch. It was peaceful.
"I have a question for you". I whip my head around and I see chris standing on the porch looking at me.
" oh. Well I'm glad to see your talking again.". I smile at him.
"now what is the question that you wanted to ask me". I looked into his eyes and waited for a few seconds.
" what is your name?". He asked gently. I stare at him for a second, amazed that we have been together for so long and I only know his name.
"my name is Azelia.". I watch his eyes light up.
"Azelia. That is such a beautiful name." I smile as he walks over to me and picks me up. I look into his eyes as he carries me intof the house and into the main bedroom and lays my on the bed. I look into his eyes as he looks into mine and runs his hand through my hair.
"I think I love you Azelia." he says to me. My eyes light up and a tear runs down my face. "I love you Chris. You saved me and you didn't even know me and I thank you for that." I watched as he smiles then leans down to kiss me and we lock together in a kiss of love.

I wake up that morning with a bright smile on my face as I look at the sleeping girl. I kiss her cheek then walk into the kitchen and make a couple cups of tea. I sit down on the couch and pull out my iPhone. I start looking through the news when it rings.
"hmm. Unknown number".
"hello."
"Dos.... I knew you'd answer." my still sleepy eyes snap awake as I hear the German voice of a old partner.
"Ein, I told you not to call me Dos anymore. I am no longer part of your team."
" but until the day that the flesh rots off of your skin. You will always be Dos." I glance towards the room where Azelia is sleeping.
"what do you want Ein."
"you know ezactly what I wan."
" I already told you once. My answer is still no."
"hehehe. You are a fool Dos. You know that It is in your blood and sere is none denying it. Face it Dos, you miss being the second MDMA." I sit and stare out of the window my fist clenched in a fist. I did miss it.
"what are you trying to get at Ein." I ask quietly.
" we want you to come back. All of us. We want thes old team back together. You are the only one we missin".
" I will think about it." I hang up and hear footsteps behind me.
"think about what my love?" I look at Azelia standing behind me as she smiles cutely. I hand her the tea and kiss her lovingly.
" it's nothing my sweet girl". She kisses back and stares into my eyes.
"I love you!" she hugs me and I hug back but my mind was still on the phone call. Should I go or stay?

I watched as the two sat on the couch and cuddled while enjoying the morning, and it made me sick.
"Ein, do you think he will join?"
"he will. He misses it. It's not his personality to be tied down."
"I hope your right Ein, because I have had a blood craving for the past month." I watch as Hades turns and walks away and I think to myself,
"what are you going to do Dos. You know that you can't hide. You know you can't keep her safe, but yet you still tell her the lie that she is no longer in harm." standing up, I light a cigaret and look towards red morning sky.
"the world is bleeding Dos. The longer you wait the less time you have."
"what's wrong babe.". I stood there watching Chris who had drawn a revolver from a hidden compartment in the couch we were sitting on.
He was staring out of the window and it seemed like he knew something was out in the open field behind the house. The way he stared out of the window was scary. I could see the veins on his arm bulge and his eyes narrow.
"Chris. What is it?" I slide behind him and put my hand in the back pocket of his jeans. Somehow, with my hand in his back pocket I felt safe. I hear the click of the action go back down and Chris take a relaxing breath.
"it's probably nothing." he sets the revolver down on the table and takes a step forward then stops and looks out the window again. He squints his eyes then they snap back open and he turns towards me, picks up the revolver, push me to the ground and the window shatters and a red spray comes out of Chris's chest and back and a hole appears as he fires off a round out the window, and then falls backwards onto the ground.

Death can come so suddenly, so unexpectedly. I saw the lord coming for me. I felt so cold like ice was burning to my skin. I scream out loud but there is no sound. This is what death feels like, this is my last moment, my last few breaths. I see Azelia. I know it isn't real but the image sticks and I feel my heart break.
"I love you Azelia" I breath heavily and feel a tear run down my face.
" I failed. I wasn't able to protect you the way I said I would." I look up and see heavens gates. And I see God waiting for me. I reach out to him and fall to my knees bwith my hands clasped.
"Lord. Please don't let her die. Please protect her and keep her safe. She is an angel and she doesnt deserve this hell. Please protect her and don't let her die." I yell with tears running down my face. I feel the lords hand land gently on my shoulder.
" you have shown a great strength and you have much love in you. You are the only one who I know can take care of her. She is very very special. I created her for a very important reason. Go to her Chris. You are thee bodyguard for her. You are Dos. Now go get her." I watch through misty eyes as he move his hand to my chest and touches the skin where my heart is and I black out.
"we are losing him.......... Ready. Clear." I watch as the doctors shock Chris trying to get his heart pumping again.
"CLEAR!" I watch his body jump into the air and land back on to the surgery table with a thud. What happened. How could this happen to him. He died trying to save me. He pushed me out of the way before the bullet hit him. "get her out of here" I see one of the doctors point to me and a nurse walks over to me and walk my into a waiting room.
" are you ok sweetie?" I shake my head. "would you like a ginsing tea?" I nod and she walks out as a agent walked in and sits across from me.
"Azelia. I'm a friend of Chris. Can you tell me what happened?". I look at him for a second.
"how can I trust you."
"because Chris isn't his real name. It's Dos. And he is part of the MDMA. Trust is everything "

The doctors had finally cleared out of the room after they got Chris stable enough to where they don't have to worry. I sat there looking at his scared body. I could see where he was badly cut and shot in the past. I looked at the tattoo on his arm and my mouth dropped. The word, his name, ( his real name). Dos was written on muscular arm in a Aztec font. I touched it and a gasp escaped my mouth. It was tattooed into his arm. But it was also carved into him.
"Azelia." I looked up and saw the nurse from earlier. She was smiling at me. She had a motherly face. One that was caring.
"I talked to the doctor and he said you should come with me tonight. You can stay at my home till the morning." I felt a tear run down my face and I smiled. She was sweet like a mother should be. I yawned and I knew she was right. Standing up I kiss Chris's forehead and walk out with the nurse.
I feel the wind on my face and I smell the scent of rain in the air. I open my eyes an I see trees surrounding me. I sit up and look around. It was dark, but I could still make out the faint outline of the trees, and a few benches.
" I guess I'm in a park. But how did I get here?" I say out loud.
"I brought you here Dos. It's time to learn the truth about yourself." I turn and see three figures surrounded by the night.
"truth about what?" I ask calmly.
"the truth about what your power are." the closest figure says. I hear the rain start to fall and I feel the rain land on my body.
" tell me what you mean."
" you are a very special someone, you are the last living person of a supposedly dead culture. A culture know as Alchemists Cross." I feel my heart leap in my chest.
"The Alchemists cross. How can this be? I...I..... Don't understand. How can I be part of the Alchemists Cross. How can I be part of the strongest assassins in the world. I mean I know I'm a MDMA, but to be of the Cross is unreal." I watch as the figure throws a bag in front of me and it lands with a small thud.
"this bag belonged to your father, and he wanted you to have it." the figures begin to disappear into the dark of the night.
"hey. Wait." I yell but they are already gone. I look around and see the lights of the hospital just a few blocks away. I reach down and open up the bag and pull out a object wrapped in cloth. I slowly undo the cloth and pull out a mask. I stare at the mask for a second then smile.
"hmm. My dads mask. Well, my dad has good taste." I reach back into the bag and pull out a katana. I slowly unsheathe the sword and I listen to the ring of the blade.
"really good taste."



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


MadisHeart said...
on Jun. 20 2013 at 2:12 pm
MadisHeart, Norman, Oklahoma
0 articles 0 photos 38 comments
Very action-packed, I like it!