Merrikeep

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Neil

Echoes were ringing through the hall as Myra yelled and shouted at the wall that had blocked her path to home. August was whimpering, barking, and scratching at it. Finally after a few minutes Myra stopped and sat down against the wall, August nuzzled her hand and she smiled slightly,
“Come on August…Let’s see where this takes us. It might be fun.” August gave her a look like he doubted it. Myra laughed weakly. She stood up and grabbed the flashlight that she had dropped in her haste to get to the door. August stayed at her feet as she walked cautiously down the dark hall. After what seemed like fifteen or twenty minutes, the flashlight went out. Plunging them both into pitch black darkness. August let out a ringing bark, and Myra jumped and dropped the flashlight then said,
“August! Calm down! We’re okay…I hope.” She got on the ground started feeling the around for the dropped flashlight. August sat down, whining softly.

Suddenly Myra stopped moving and August went quiet. There was a footstep, then a dragging. A footstep, then a dragging. Myra sat there frozen with fear. Her heart was beating faster, and faster as her chest felt like it was clenching up, and she started out in a cold sweat. August trotted to her side and licked her hand and nuzzled her, and she hugged him around the middle as she started mumbling under her breath,
“It’s a dream. All a dream.” The footstep, then a drag was getting closer and closer. It was next to them and August was growling softly, trying to protect Myra as she clung to her pet. Suddenly the person next to her seemed to kneel down, as August’s growls had gotten louder, and spoke gently,
“It’s okay miss. I’m not going to hurt you or your dog I promise.” It was a man’s voice. Myra didn’t say anything but she raised her head, and her eyes had adjusted to the darkness a little. The man had certainly knelt down about two or three feet away, and August had started growling softer.
“I’m sorry if I gave you a scare. My name is Neil Smith. What’s your name?” He asked conversationally. Obviously trying to calm her down a bit. Myra sat up a little, her hand still on August. Who had stopped growling now.
“M-Myra Phillips. And this is August.” Neil seemed to harden slightly as he said, “Myra?” She nodded. He stood up shakily and held out his hand,
“Are you hungry at all Ms. Phillips?” Myra’s stomach suddenly growled loudly. She nodded and took his hand standing up. Neil smiled as he said,
“Well, if you’re comfortable you can come with me to my camp with my other people.” Neil made a good point. About two seconds ago Myra had been completely terrified of this man.
“Um…Do you have something for August too?” August seemed to trust the man. Myra usually trusted her dog’s instincts. Neil nodded,
“Of course. Follow me. What would you like to eat Phillips?” The using of the last name was slightly odd. But Myra shrugged it off and said,
“Soup would be nice. Thank you Neil…Can I ask a question though?” He nodded, they hadn’t started walking yet.
“Why are you being so nice? I mean…You just met me.” He laughed weakly and started walking, with an obvious limp. Which would explain the earlier dragging.
“Well, I consider myself to be gentleman, I chose not to be mean to young ladies I’ve just met.” Myra laughed weakly as she followed him. Suddenly very aware of the fact she was still wearing pajama pants and a t-shirt. She looked down at August who was trotting happily at their side.

The slightly odd group walked in silence for awhile until Myra saw a small light in the distance. It flickered gently, like a fire. As they got closer Myra could see that it was indeed a fire and she could also see silhouettes against the firelight. She glanced over at Neil whose features had become more pronounced as they got closer to the light. He had short-ish dirty blonde hair, blue-green eyes, and seemed in his mid to late-twenties. His face seemed hardened slightly, as though he had been through many hardships. But here was, yet again, another tall person. About six ft. Myra looked down at her slippered feet with a slight grimace. He was wearing a plain white t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers, that had dirt all over them, like he had been digging or something. They reached the fire and Myra noted three people. Two men, and one girl. They all turned and the girl and one of the guys beamed brightly, but the other guy, about Myra’s age, seemed both worried, and relieved. If that’s possible.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

CurlyGirl17 said...
Hey it's me again! I just wanted to let you know I posted the rest of my story and was hoping you'd give me some feedback on the rest. Your last comment was really helpful! :)

CurlyGirl17 said...
This is good so far! It caught my eye because I used the same picture for my book and I also have a one-word 'm' title, Metalligirl. I like this idea; it's really interesting. I'd appreciate it if you checked out the first chapter of my story and left a comment; you do a good job with writing! :)

munchkincora replied...
Thank you for taking the time and reading my book! :) And I'll go look at your stuff to.