Don't Ask, Wouldn't Lie

Author's note: Please comment!
Author's note: Please comment!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Flipped Over

I’m innocent.
At least... I think I am.
It’s a long story. But after I got accused, bla, bla, bla, I decided that my story needed to be written down. Not the phony story that you probably know.
I promise if you read through this, you’ll figure something out (another reason why I’ve written this book – my mistakes are so lame, you should really have different ones).
I could start when I was born and you would still be confused. Trust me. I really don’t know where to start..... (and despite James’ protests, I'm not starting with ‘I am an idiot’)
My name is Hannah Kennington. Or really, it was. I was fifteen with straight light brown hair and green eyes and had been kicked out of seven different schools. Normally, it’s not a big deal. I just move on, make friends, and then make ‘the mistake’. Then goodbye school, hello new school.
I lived with a relatively normal family. My dad worked for the government and my mom usually stayed at home. My brother, George, is almost seventeen though so he’s about as normal as an almost-seventeen year old can get.
You could say I’m the loose tire on the car, but really, I’m not a trouble kid. Not if you look in my perspective. Anyone else’s.... well let’s just stick to mine, shall we?
~*~
“Hannah please try not to get kicked out of this school.” My dad begged me from behind the wheel of our brand new car. We went through this before every new school. I barely listened. They say the same thing every time – be good. Right now, my music was blaring in my ears. I could see their lips moving from the mirrors, so I was fine. I could read lips. It wasn’t like they were changing their script anytime soon.
I glanced out the windows. Snow drifted by. It was mid-November and snowing. Great. I sighed. “Sure, dad.”
“Hannah, try to make friends this time. Good friends. Good, law following friends.” My mom put in. She grabbed the mirror in the car and started to apply makeup.
“Whatever.”
“Hannah Kennington, are you even listening to us?” My dad asked. My dad’s this skinny little man with glasses and that look in his eyes that says he’s with you in person, but his mind is out on Mars.
“Duh,” I replied as I fidgeted in my new uniform. My past seven schools were public, but somehow my parents had managed to get me excepted into a private school. I totally wouldn’t mind that, except for these stupid uniforms. I mean, who wants to wear a freaking skirt everyday? I’ll answer that: no one.
“Hon, Bridgington will be fine for Hannah. They take in special students.” My dad said to my mom, talking low. Not that it mattered. The mirror showed me their lips just fine.
“Ken I know. I’m just worried for her.”
I glanced at my iPod and shuffled the music forward to my favourite song. Bridget Young started to sing in my ears: The day is young, but still I sing, waiting for, heaven to come.
When I looked up my dad was holding the wheel tight. “She’ll be fine,” he told my mom through clenched teeth.
“I’m just pointing out that maybe we need to consider… other options.” My mom said ‘other’ like it was the worse thing she could think of.
“This one will work. Trust me.”
I glanced back down at my iPod. I didn’t want to listen – or really, see – this conversation. It was too much. Despite how much I rebelled, I still hated to see my parents fight.
My point of just ignoring the world until we reached our new school was blow to pieces.
I couldn’t hear anything, just feel it. My world was pushed forward. My forehead slammed against the seat in front of me as a car rammed us from behind. George fell sideways as the car swerved and slammed into me. I twisted and slammed into the side door. The glass broke and cold air rushed in. pain exploded through my body.
Dad rushed to try and get control of the car. Fear rushed into me as it didn’t work. We flew and flew round and round in circles as the car hit black ice. I felt the car tilt sideways. It tethered on its edge balanced between the ground and air.
And then the world made its decision.
We crashed towards the ground. I felt the ground smash into us the roof of the car bending against the weight. Pain crept into my body as I felt every single part of me compress under the weight.
My body was suspended mid-air, held there by my seatbelt. I groaned, barely conscious. In the back of my mind I heard someone crash to the ground.
George.
Then someone grabbed me, unbuckling my seatbelt. They pulled me from the car, dragging my body against the wreckage and through the window. Glass bit into my skin, but I didn’t feel it anymore. Just numbness.
“Stand… up…” I felt someone breathe raggedly into my ear. “Run.”
I stumbled up, not quite sure how I was moving. My legs shouldn’t work. My arms shouldn’t move. My heart should be beating.
I got up but as soon as I completely stood up blackness crept into my vision. Not good. I lurched forward but before I hit the ground arms grabbed me. I almost pulled them down with me, but they were stronger than me. The practically dragged me from the crash. It was slow going. My body wouldn’t cooperate and blackness kept taking over my vision.
Behind me, I felt heat rising. I risked a glance back only to see fire in the car. “No…” I croaked. “Mom… Dad… George…”
As I watched, the car’s flames leapt into the air. Then something went wrong. I felt a trigger inside of me, as if I knew what was going to happen.
I watched, as if in slow motion as the car exploded in front of my eyes. Parts rained down but I just stood there, even though the arms were tugging on me, urging me to duck.
A metal pipe hit me and I flew back a foot before hitting the pavement.
The last thing I heard before I drifted into unconsciousness was sirens.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 5 at 1:16 pm:
Oh, I absolutely love this! :) I love spy books or novels, and I think your idea and concept is awesome. :) I hope you do continue it, and if you do - I look forward to reading it with excitement. :) Thank you so much, my friend! For sharing this! :)

coralminded said...
Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:22 am:
OWAIGHOEI WOAHHH!! loved this!! this is exactly the kind of story i wanted to read! but...its only 2 chapters? and the last comment was in september 2012...ummm...but its super good! and i want more! and it def reminds me of gallagher girl series which i adore!! please write more! 

HarryPotterLover30 said...
OOOOOH! WRITE. MORE. NOW.................................. PLEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSE??????????

shootingstar97 replied...
Sept. 20, 2012 at 10:19 pm :
Thank you so much! I worte this story about a year ago and I'm going through and editing it a bunch but I will try to put more on here as soon as I can! And again, thank you SO SO SO much for commenting! It means a bunch to me. :)

HarryPotterLover30 replied...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 10:19 am :
You are very welcome. It actually reminds me a bit of the Gallager Girls series, really.......... so it got me completely hooked. I NEED M<ORE!!!!! :)